PDA

View Full Version : YEC draw released..

ys
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:02 AM
Posted in tournament's forum..

viele
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:09 AM
Looks like we'll get a JHH/Capriati rematch!

ys
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:11 AM
Elena D. is not in the same group with Jennifer. All I wanted to hear.

pReUrBrIyN
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:17 AM
:bigclap: Chanda actually has a Chance!!! :bigclap:

mishar
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:17 AM
ED has to like her group. She's beaten Kim and Amelie before, and seems to dominate Chanda lately.

Chanda on the other hand would have loved to be in Capriati's group, and in Justine's (rather than Kim's.)

I can't say yet if it's good for Myskina and Sugiyama.

ys
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:20 AM
ED has to like her group. She's beaten Kim and Amelie before, and seems to dominate Chanda lately.

Chanda on the other hand would have loved to be in Capriati's group, and in Justine's (rather than Kim's.)

I can't say yet if it's good for Myskina and Sugiyama.

It is good for Myskina. She beat Henin recently. The best indoors player of the season should not be afraid of usty Jennifer on her worst surface, especially if it is going to be the first match ( it should be ). And her current game should match Sugiyama's game very well. I think Nastya will make it out of the group. I am not sure about Elena though.

SerenaSlam
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:20 AM
oh hell just post the draw here too!

mishar
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:28 AM
Is there some order of how the matches are played or is it just up to the discretion of the organizer?

I agree that Anastasia has the edge on Jennifer going by recent form. However, JC did perform well here last year after a similarly dismal indoor season and has never lost to Nastya in 3 meetings. It should be an interesting match.

ys
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:33 AM
Is there some order of how the matches are played or is it just up to the discretion of the organizer?

The site says that order of play will be known on Monday. But I think that it is mostly about which match from the first round will go to Thursday. I am pretty sure that the first round is:

Clijsters-Rubin, Mauresmo-Dementieva
Henin-Sugiyama, Capriati-Myskina.

I think they are choosing between Amelie and Nastya's matches.

I agree that Anastasia has the edge on Jennifer going by recent form. However, JC did perform well here last year after a similarly dismal indoor season and has never lost to Nastya in 3 meetings. It should be an interesting match.

They never played indoors.

Rocketta
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:34 AM
oh hell just post the draw here too!

Red group:

Clijsters
Mauresmo
Dementieva
Rubin

Blue Group:
Henin
Capriati
Myskina
Sugiyama

;)

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:35 AM
what they should do is make sure that the two winners play each other in the 2nd rd of matches or else the final rd matches could be dead-rubbers

pretty good draw for Lena and Nastya in all reality :)

Knizzle
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:36 AM
Red group:

Clijsters
Mauresmo
Dementieva
Rubin

Blue Group:
Henin
Capriati
Myskina
Sugiyama

;)

That draw is so gay, really it is. I guess Juju/Cappy could have a good match, but other than that............Ugh. I wish the WS/Davy/Seles weren't injured.

K-Dog
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:38 AM
The favorites in the red group seem to be Clijsters and either Dementieva or Mauresmo. If Amelie plays like she did in Phily, then she and Clijsters are the favorites. If Dementieva plays like the way she played when she won her 2 titles in Shanghai and Bali she will come out of the pool.

I never doubt Jennifer, (no matter how she played during the indoor season) so I pick Justine and Jen to come out of the blue group. Both Sugiyama and Myskina have weak serves and neither have quite the same amount of power off the ground as Jennifer.

P.S. This Monday final thing is really dumb. Can't they start the Round- Robin on Tuesday. The Lakers are in Milwaukee on Tuesday (I'm going to see that game!!) Have the final on Sunday.

PatM04
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:43 AM
I think that Kim, Elena, Justine, and Jennifer will come through. Chanda may beat Amelie but given both of their play recently I doubt it will happen. If it does I am 98% sure it wil be the only match that Chanda wins.

mishar
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:43 AM
That draw is so gay, really it is. I guess Juju/Cappy could have a good match, but other than that............Ugh. I wish the WS/Davy/Seles weren't injured.

:lol: Did you just use gay as a general insult? That is so, well, gay of you. :lol: :lol:

OR perhaps you meant the original sense of gay. I agree it is a very festive draw, sure to evoke merriment in all spectators. :tape:

switz
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:01 AM
chanda will have no problems in her group. she showed that when on she can match clijsters, and she has beaten both dementieva and mauresmo this year. chanda will advance without dropping a match.

i'm a positive person

azza
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:06 AM
Chanda will lose all her matches i reckon
Kim will win all hers
Elena will go 2-1
Momo will go 1-2

starr
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:09 AM

Lol... you sound like some sort of cowboy.

And you'd be one of the first to call foul if the shoe were on the other foot.

lasagna & donuts
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:11 AM
will they show elena matches on espn

Sam L
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:13 AM
I only see one lesbian in the draw... The other 7 are straight as far as I know.
Hence, gay. Gays love men you know like the other 7. ;)

mishar
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:15 AM
what are the tiebreakers in the roundrobin?

If for example Kim goes 3-0
Elena beats Chanda to go 1-2
Momo beats Elena to go 1-2
Chanda beats Momo to go 1-2

Who advances? Is it who won the most sets/games?

Chance
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:15 AM
that draw doesn't look that exciting....

Hurley
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:21 AM
what are the tiebreakers in the roundrobin?

If for example Kim goes 3-0
Elena beats Chanda to go 1-2
Momo beats Elena to go 1-2
Chanda beats Momo to go 1-2

Who advances? Is it who won the most sets/games?

Well, they would first go to head-to-head matches. For instance, if Amelie and Elena were both 2-1, the first tiebreaker would be the result of their match.

But in a situation like yours, yes, it would be sets won/lost, and then games I think.

Trish101
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:30 AM
looks like Jennifer will get a chance for Revenge against Henin

Knizzle
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:42 AM
Lol... you sound like some sort of cowboy.

And you'd be one of the first to call foul if the shoe were on the other foot.

If I meant gay as in homosexual, then the word homosexual would make sense in the sentence in the place of gay.

This draw is so homosexual.......(doesn't quite make sense now does it??)

Knizzle
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:43 AM
As for those who gave me bad rep for that (shap), you should grow up and use your brain for a minute because I know you are smarter than that.

starr
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:48 AM
If I meant gay as in homosexual, then the word homosexual would make sense in the sentence in the place of gay.

This draw is so homosexual.......(doesn't quite make sense now does it??)

Oh please. I live in the world just like you do. I've heard "gay" used as in insult in just that way dozens of times even though it wouldn't make sense to replace it with homosexual. But nice try on the weasel.

So if you didn't mean gay as in homosexual, what exactly did you mean then? That the draw was festive? I don't think so. :lol:

Knizzle
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:53 AM
Oh please. I live in the world just like you do. I've heard "gay" used as in insult in just that way dozens of times even though it wouldn't make sense to replace it with homosexual. But nice try on the weasel.

So if you didn't mean gay as in homosexual, what exactly did you mean then? That the draw was festive? I don't think so. :lol:

It's a figure of speech meaning stupid, sorry, weak, etc., How can a draw be homosexual?? Explain that to me??

tennisluver99
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:54 AM
looks like Jennifer will get a chance for Revenge against Henin

Yes, Capriati could get her revenge, but if she does get into position for revenge, will she be able to close it out.

Rub
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:58 AM
i think the draw is exciting! :eek:

Rtael
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:01 AM
It's a figure of speech meaning stupid, sorry, weak, etc., How can a draw be homosexual?? Explain that to me??

So, if someone beat my fav (not necessarily a black person) and I called them a stupid ******, it wouldn't be racially offensive right? Cause ****** is jsut a general derogatory term not aimed at any particular minority (just like gay isn't aimed at any specific minority) right?

Trish101
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:03 AM
just worry about your sistahs tennisluve, they need all the help they can get, and im talking mental help here.

Knizzle
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:06 AM
So, if someone beat my fav (not necessarily a black person) and I called them a stupid ******, it wouldn't be racially offensive right? Cause ****** is jsut a general derogatory term not aimed at any particular minority (just like gay isn't aimed at any specific minority) right?

Why would you be calling them a ******?? Are they a stupid ignorant person?? Why are you directing this type of insult towards a person?? I was speaking of the strength of a tournament draw.

Rtael
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:10 AM
Why would you be calling them a ******?? Are they a stupid ignorant person?? Why are you directing this type of insult towards a person?? I was speaking of the strength of a tournament draw.

Alright, then I'll apply the term to black serial rapist on death row. So yes I would be calling the person stupid/ignorant. However it's obviously not racially motivated, it's just a general adjective!

Sam L
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:11 AM
Knizzle, if you say controversial things, expect people to be offended and retaliate. That's all I'll say on this matter. :rolleyes:

Hurley
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:15 AM

And that figure of speech came into being as a comparison to gay people.

People throw it around thinking it means nothing, and I can't say it really bothers me so much (since I am gay and neither sorry nor weak and laugh at such a connotation), but that's the derivation of the meaning, so that's why you saying it has no connection to any sort of homosexual slur is laughable.

Knizzle
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:16 AM
Knizzle, if you say controversial things, expect people to be offended and retaliate. That's all I'll say on this matter. :rolleyes:

You act as if I was writing it and thinking to myself, this is a controversial statement I am making about the draw of a particular tournament. I should be careful of what I say. Rtael is trying to make a point, but it's not working because his example is nothing like the post I made. When I used the word, I wasn't talking about a person. I wasn't talking about homosexuality. What is so offensive?? I can't say the word gay if I want to. If I'm not mistaken homosexuals say about themselves all the time "I'm gay", not using it in the same context as me of course, but then wouldn't that be them saying something derogatory about themselves because they used the word "gay"??

Knizzle
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:18 AM
And that figure of speech came into being as a comparison to gay people.

People throw it around thinking it means nothing, and I can't say it really bothers me so much (since I am gay and neither sorry nor weak and laugh at such a connotation), but that's the derivation of the meaning, so that's why you saying it has no connection to any sort of homosexual slur is laughable.

Well the whole point is that I wasn't taking a shot at homosexuals. If anyone was offended, I do apologize. :angel:

Rtael
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:19 AM
Yes and I over-reacted. I think it's just because I don't like you.

Hurley
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:19 AM
I'm not offended. But you saying that people now use "gay" to mean sissified or weak...how do you think that got started? At random?

It didn't. I don't care if you use it, but just be aware of its origins.

Sam L
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:20 AM
You act as if I was writing it and thinking to myself, this is a controversial statement I am making about the draw of a particular tournament. I should be careful of what I say. Rtael is trying to make a point, but it's not working because his example is nothing like the post I made. When I used the word, I wasn't talking about a person. I wasn't talking about homosexuality. What is so offensive?? I can't say the word gay if I want to. If I'm not mistaken homosexuals say about themselves all the time "I'm gay", not using it in the same context as me of course, but then wouldn't that be them saying something derogatory about themselves because they used the word "gay"??
Read Hurley's post above yours. The connotations you're associating with "gay" are offensive. I wasn't offended in the first place, but now that you're saying you were thinking it was weak, sorry and to be laughed at when you thinking of the draw and associating with "gay" then I'm not so sure anymore. And given your non-tennis history regarding homosexuality practises, it further puts me in doubt.

Hurley
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:24 AM
:topic:

Anyway, we forgot a group:

Puce Group
1. Alexandra Stevenson
2. Anna Kournikova
3. Maja Palaversic Coopersmith
4. Monique Viele

I think the winner will come from the Puce Group :)

Rtael
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:25 AM
I thought Nancy and Dewonder were also in the puce group?

Hurley
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:27 AM
They decided not to play because they're being feted as Players of the Century, and didn't want tennis to interfere with their week-long coronation.

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:38 AM
Well, knizzle, at least you stopped trying to defend the indefensible and eventually apologized. Hopefully, the people here who really are gay will all accept your apology.

Anyway, I think this looks like an exciting tournament.

Knizzle
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:40 AM
Well, knizzle, at least you stopped trying to defend the indefensible and eventually apologized. Hopefully, the people here who really are gay will all accept your apology.

Anyway, I think this looks like an exciting tournament.

I had nothing to defend. And just for the record, I knew where the term came from, but the origin of a term doesn't always affect it's present meaning especially when you are dealing with slang.

bello
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:41 AM
GO JENN! Pull it all together and have great tournament to finish off the year...heck, WIN THE THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bello
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:43 AM
Interesting matches will be

Mauresmo VS. Dementieva

Myskina VS. Capriati

Capriati VS. Henin-Hardenne

~ The Leopard ~
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:52 AM
(Some people don't know when to cut their losses.)

Bring it on! So many fascinating matchups here.

Aussie_Kim
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:54 AM
:topic:

Anyway, we forgot a group:

Puce Group
1. Alexandra Stevenson
2. Anna Kournikova
3. Maja Palaversic Coopersmith
4. Monique Viele

I think the winner will come from the Puce Group :)

I apologise in advance because I don't usually come here and have trouble seeing if you are serious here.

What is a PUCE Group?? Is it just a joke because I don't think Anna will seriously play?? If it does exist how do they pick these players??

SORRY this probably sounds random BUT I'm VERY :confused:

Rtael
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:55 AM
I apologise in advance because I don't usually come here and have trouble seeing if you are serious here.

What is a PUCE Group?? Is it just a joke because I don't think Anna will seriously play?? If it does exist how do they pick these players??

SORRY this probably sounds random BUT I'm VERY :confused:

it was a joke :wavey: :angel: :kiss:

tennisIlove09
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:58 AM
equally weak on both sides

Aussie_Kim
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:08 AM
it was a joke :wavey: :angel: :kiss:

Oh Thanks! I thought it was but didn't know how to ask.

TS
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:17 AM
Puce group :lol:

I gotta say I'd rather watch that then the 'real' thing. This YEC draw is a tad on the yawn side for me.

persond
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:26 AM
As for those who gave me bad rep for that (shap), you should grow up and use your brain for a minute because I know you are smarter than that.

Says who...??? :tape: :tape:

maryjane
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:34 AM
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Justine Henin-Hardenne and Kim Clijsters are the top players in their respective groups for the $3 million WTA Championships that begin Wednesday at the Staples Center.

The eight-player field has been divided into two groups for the season-ending, round-robin tournament.

Henin-Hardenne is the top player in the Black group, followed by Jennifer Capriati, Anastasia Myskina and Ai Sugiyama.

Defending champion Clijsters leads the Red group, followed by Amelie Mauresmo, Elena Dementieva and Chanda Rubin. Capriati and Rubin are the only Americans in the injury-depleted field.

Serena and Venus Williams are taking the rest of the year off because of injuries, and Lindsay Davenport is recovering from foot surgery.

The format was changed from single-elimination to round-robin this year, and the field was reduced to eight players from 16. Most of the matches will be played in the evening as a result of poor attendance at last year's day sessions.

"I think the round-robin format is great; it's something new," Dementieva said Sunday. "I think it's going to be very interesting for everyone to play this kind of game. It's always good to try something new."

The four-team doubles draw is Clijsters and Sugiyama vs. Cara Black and Elena Likhovtseva, and Virginia Ruano Pascual and Paola Suarez vs. Svetlana Kuznetsova and Martina Navratilova.

SerialKiller#69
Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:42 PM

:tape:

lizchris
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:00 PM

What the fuck is your problem? Are you just another ignorant piece of white trash or were you born this way. :fiery:

starr
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:15 PM
I had nothing to defend. And just for the record, I knew where the term came from, but the origin of a term doesn't always affect it's present meaning especially when you are dealing with slang.

I'll remember that and quote you when someone gets offened by the term "cotton pickin' hands" or any number of phrases that had their origin by being derrogatory to a race. Maybe people are just too sensitive when some one says, "Don't try to jew me down." Maybe the origin of that doesn't affect it's present meaning especially because it is slang. :rolleyes:

That was simply lame.

Of course it wasn't as lame as saying that gay people use the word all the time. (cough).

Rocketta
Nov 3rd, 2003, 02:26 PM
Knizzle, Knizzle, Knizzle, :sad: :sad: :sad:

Just leave it at the apology! :)

gweeny
Nov 3rd, 2003, 02:28 PM
In the 1920s everyone was gay (happy) and merry. Anyway, I agree with knizzle that the draw is not as deep as it could be. But at least next year, it should be more exciting.

I don't agree with using gay as a descripitor for being weak. But I have noticed, that in life in general there are so many double standards. if someone had used the N-word, people who are not black, will say that the person was just not culturally sensitive and well let's examine the context of its use, blah, blah. Now if someone uses gay to demean homosexuals, the same people who were not as offended with the use of the N-word, will be angry and offended.

mishar
Nov 3rd, 2003, 02:52 PM
I for one am much more offended by the n-word than by the derogatory use of gay. I thought it was goofy that Knizzle was insulting the draw by calling it gay; but if someone uses the n-word (even in an example like Rtael) I find it revolting.

But schoolkids are constantly calling each other "gay" and putting down things and people as "gay". No one even bats an eye. Knizzle still doesn't even understand why it was offensive.
Whereas the use of the n-word is considered an intense aggression (as it should be) and in most places would get someone in big trouble.

DA FOREHAND
Nov 3rd, 2003, 02:58 PM
Red group:

Clijsters
Mauresmo
Dementieva
Rubin

Blue Group:
Henin
Capriati
Myskina
Sugiyama

;)

looks pretty weak

Hope we get all the big names next year. Playing on indoor hardcourt is much diff. than carpet, Jenn should be just fine. :bounce:

Go Jenn/Ai :worship:
Go Amelie/Rubin