PDA

View Full Version : Hopman Cup 04..who will win?

Kirt12255
Nov 2nd, 2003, 11:25 PM
:wavey: Not sure if anyone has made a post on the teams etc for the Hopman cup, I havn't seen one so will start one here, if someone already has I appologise :wavey: There seem to be some interesting match-ups (Lleyton vs Kimmy in Round Robin ;) ) Serena vs Amelie.

Group A

(1) U.S.A - S.Williams/J.Blake
(4) Russia - A.Myskina/M.Safin
France - A.Mauresmo/F.Santoro
Czech Rep - B.Strykova/J.Novak

Group B

(2) Australia - A.Molik/L.Hewitt (yay!! :bounce: )
(3) Belgium - K.Clijsters/X.Malisse
Slovak Rep - D.Hantuchova/K.Kucera
Qualifier

Qualifying between

Canada - M.Drake/F.Dancevic
Hungary - P.Mandula/A.Savolt

They are interesting draws (of course I hope the Aussies win :bounce: ) I think this year the mixed doubles is going to be sooo crucial....France will always be dangerous in a mixed, as Santoro is such a great doubles player....as with Slovak Rep...Daniela has proven herself as a mixed player. I think Belgium will depend on how well Malisse plays, as he really doesn't know where he is on a mixed court.

What are your'e thoughts? My pic is U.S.A vs Australia again....but there is always room for an upset or 2 :wavey:

Kirt12255
Nov 2nd, 2003, 11:41 PM
Ummmmmmmmm :confused: I thought they said in last years telecast that Wayne and Amanda would be back for 2004....doesn't seem the same without them in the field :wavey:

xr6turbo
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:06 AM
Yeah, I am going this year. :bounce:

I will see Serena v.s MoMo and Serena vs. Myskina!! (Plus the mens and mixed for those sessions!).

I think that the USA will probably be in the final again, but like you said, the mixed will be crucial this time around because most of the teams have a weaker player.

Should be intersesting. :)

ys
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:07 AM
talking about top-heavy.. :eek:

bandabou
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:08 AM
U.S.A. is pretty much a lock for at least the finals, provided Serena is healthy....plus I canīt see someone really beating them any mixed doubles either.

Kart
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:09 AM
Looks like there are going to be quite a few matches decided on the doubles.

FLL
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:10 AM
Canada without a doubt :bounce:;)

ys
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:15 AM
U.S.A. is pretty much a lock for at least the finals, provided Serena is healthy....plus I canīt see someone really beating them any mixed doubles either.

I think Russia and France will give USA all they can handle. Safin is much better than Blake, hands down, and Santoro is at least as good as Blake.
And Serena will be rusty. And in mixed doubles they will be a dead meat. I think the finalist will be decided in Russia-France match. Two very interesting matchups, Mauresmo-Myskina, Safin-Santoro :eek:..

Kirt12255
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:34 AM
Looks like there are going to be quite a few matches decided on the doubles.

Yuppers.....the mixed only goes 2 sets, 10pt tie-breaker in the 3rd, seems to happen alot at the hopman cup (tie-breaker that is)...still for me the most interesting thing will be the mixed between Australia and Belgium. If Alicia and Xavier were going out together (not a bad image I must say) would be most entertaining. Would be up to Lleyton to make it a live rubber...(oops rubber...I shouldn't say that when speaking of Lleyton and Kimmy in a match :o ). Alicia played with Kimmy at Hope Is. a few years back in doubles...and apparently from the footage I saw last year Lleyton and Xavier are pretty good friends.

I still will never forget that match between Monica and Reggi years back....a classic match that seems to have been forgotten at the Hopman Cup. Both were rusty...but two fantastic battlers trying to get an edge. Tie-Breaker 3rd set. :wavey:

SerenaSlam
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:47 AM
I think Russia and France will give USA all they can handle. Safin is much better than Blake, hands down, and Santoro is at least as good as Blake.
And Serena will be rusty. And in mixed doubles they will be a dead meat. I think the finalist will be decided in Russia-France match. Two very interesting matchups, Mauresmo-Myskina, Safin-Santoro :eek:..
i doubt safin even plays. but they could give them trouble. but serena warms up quick. rust seems to disaper quickly in comeback matches by both sisters.

justine&coria
Nov 3rd, 2003, 10:18 AM
I've always wondered something about that Hopman cup : how do they choose the player ?
For example, why can't Justine play it ? Or maybe, she doesn't want !!
But, if both Justine and kim want to play, who will be chosen ?

Greenout
Nov 3rd, 2003, 10:26 AM
Great to see Hewitt/Molik team up again to
defend the title. Really; they were really entertaining
to watch. I hope we get "LIVE" coverage again.

Myskina/Safin sounds interesting. Can't wait for the
emotional theatrics. ;)

ghosts
Nov 3rd, 2003, 10:40 AM
I wish good luck to:

S.Williams/J.Blake
A.Myskina/M.Safin
B.Strykova/J.Novak
P.Mandula/A.Savolt

saki
Nov 3rd, 2003, 10:51 AM
The top-ranked player in each country gets first right of refusal, so Justine couldn't play (had she wanted to) once Kim had decided to. I'd like to see Justine & Olivier Rochus play together sometime though... maybe next year.

Chance
Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:10 AM
I've always wondered something about that Hopman cup : how do they choose the player ?
For example, why can't Justine play it ? Or maybe, she doesn't want !!
But, if both Justine and kim want to play, who will be chosen ?

I think the highest player is asked first.

I remember last year Serena contacted Paul McNamee (the tournament direector) before she became no.1 (around March I think) and expressed interest of playing the Hopman Cup.. he told her the no.1 American player would be contacted first when they start making arrangements for next year's tournament.

I guess if the the country's no.1 player does not want to play they go down the rankings....

kim4eva
Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:18 AM
I can't decide which country to cheer for...Australia's definitely my first option...simply coz I'm an Aussie...but I also'd like Kim and Xavier to win :o ...well um...
GO AUSSIES!! :bounce:
GO BELGIUM!!! :worship:
I'll be happy if either of these countries win... :angel:

bandabou
Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:47 AM

Still in mixed the gap between Serena and the rest of the females is huger than the gap between Blake and a Safin et al.

SJW
Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:58 AM
Myskina can't and won't beat Serena.

Momo could but i don't think Santoro will beat James.

Marat is really struggling at the moment :sad: and James could give him a run for his money

i think it will be the USA vs Belgium

vs1
Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:03 PM
Alicia and Lleyton defend the title?! :rolleyes:

I believe the champions last year were SERENA and James. ;)

tennnisfannn
Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:09 PM
Yeah, I am going this year. :bounce:

I will see Serena v.s MoMo and Serena vs. Myskina!! (Plus the mens and mixed for those sessions!).

I think that the USA will probably be in the final again, but like you said, the mixed will be crucial this time around because most of the teams have a weaker player.

Should be intersesting. :)
I am also going to the USA vs France. :bounce:

Allez-H
Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:19 PM
I'm so looking forward to see Kim play against Lleyton in mixed.I mean with the competivity of both players this should be a great match.

bandabou
Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:32 PM
Momo ainīt beating Serena either....Serena totally owns Momo. lots of 6-2 6-1 and stuff.

SpikeyAidanm
Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:34 PM
Prediction:

Belgium def USA in the final.

mishar
Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:54 PM
Bad draw for Russia. Safin if he's playing well should beat Blake, but what is his record against Santoro? 0-7 or something. His nemesis. other players aren't bothered as much by Fabrice as Marat is.

TatiAnnahølic
Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:55 PM
wow Barbora playing! :D :D good luck Czech Rep! :bounce:

bandabou
Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:57 PM
Prediction:

Belgium def USA in the final.

Lil Lleyton will give Kim a pass to the finals?! I can see that...but Serena and James ainīt on the give-away market, so Belgium ainīt winning.

Roxers
Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:58 PM
Davai Russia

Fantastic
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:01 PM
The highest ranked player from each nation during the lead-up to the US Open is given the first option of playing - which is why you may see discrepancies between the current rankings and the player that was selected. If he or she declines the invitation, any player thereafter may be chosen. This is usually the next highest-ranked or available player in line but in the case of Czech Republic this year, their best junior girl was invited instead. Surprise omissions this year (IMO) were Argentina and Thailand, two very strong nations that would've strengthened the tournament greatly, and added a more international flavour to the heavily European field. In the case of South Africa, it was Wayne Ferreira who first decided not to play the tournament in 2002, citing that he wanted to spend more time with his family. Amanda Coetzer was eager to play but can't without Wayne, or a similar male counterpart. It would seem that none of the other South African men were deemed worthy of contesting the event since. Perhaps Wayne might change his mind next year if he or Amanda decide it will be time to hang up their racquets.

Fantastic
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:07 PM
I think USA will most likely win it again.

XaDavK_Kapri
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:12 PM
I think everyone underestimates Belgium here... :o

AntennA
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:24 PM
I think everyone underestimates Belgium here... :o

I was thinking the same here... The match between Belgium and Australia could be very tight! I think Kim should win her match against Alicia, while Lleyton has a better chance to win against Xavier, although Xavier has beaten Lleyton this year (!). So I'm Looking forward for a very nice decisive doubles game!!!
... by the way: Wasn't Kim telling the year before she liked to play doubles a lot more with Xavier instead of Lleyton! Maybe that can help them beating Australia ;)

Experimentee
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:25 PM
I think it'll be USA vs Belgium, with USA winning again in a rematch of last years tie!
But I think it'll depend on how Blake and Malisse play, they are definitely not playing as well now as they were in Jan 2002. But the girls should be able to carry them through.

XaDavK_Kapri
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:31 PM
I think it'll be USA vs Belgium, with USA winning again in a rematch of last years tie!
But I think it'll depend on how Blake and Malisse play, they are definitely not playing as well now as they were in Jan 2002. But the girls should be able to carry them through.
But Xavier's coming back. IN his last tournament, he beat Pavel (who was just runner-up in Paris) and he was hurt against Schuettler in the quarters, so he lost. If he's healthy next year, I think that Belgium will be very dangerous.

Experimentee
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:34 PM
Both this year and last year the group Australia's in has been the weakest! I wish they wouldnt do it like that. Matches from Group A will be interesting and Group B is likely to be a bore, with the exception of Aus vs Belgium, and thats only bc of seeing Hewitt and Clijsters face off!

jimbo mack
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:38 PM
this hopman cup is just a waste of time and player's energy.

its not part of the wta tour so really its an uncompletely important event :yawn:

xr6turbo
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:42 PM
I am also going to the USA vs France. :bounce:

Cool, where abouts are you sitting??

For the USA vs France tie I am sitting in block 029 which are A reserve seats. :bounce:

bandabou
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:54 PM
Both this year and last year the group Australia's in has been the weakest! I wish they wouldnt do it like that. Matches from Group A will be interesting and Group B is likely to be a bore, with the exception of Aus vs Belgium, and thats only bc of seeing Hewitt and Clijsters face off!

Yep...if only to see that Kim and Lleyton are NOT the same person!! :lol:

AntennA
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:59 PM
But Xavier's coming back. IN his last tournament, he beat Pavel (who was just runner-up in Paris) and he was hurt against Schuettler in the quarters, so he lost. If he's healthy next year, I think that Belgium will be very dangerous.

Indeed. If you take a look at Xavier's latest results, you can see he was going pretty strong the last few weeks. An injury and bad luck in the draws (3 times versus Andy Roddick) were some of the reasons why he couldn't breakthrough.

Lyon
R32 Pavel, Andrei (ROM ) 5-7 6-3 6-4
R16 Enqvist, Thomas (SWE ) 6-3 6-4
Q Schuettler, Rainer (GER ) 6-7(2) 4-6 (Xavier injured)

US Open
R128 Rochus, Olivier (BEL ) 6-3 6-4 6-2
R64 Calleri, Agustin (ARG ) 6-2 6-7(3) 6-3 3-6 6-3
R32 Tursunov, Dmitry (RUS ) 7-5 6-4 7-6(10)
R16 Roddick, Andy (USA ) 3-6 4-6 6-7(5)

Cincinnatti
R64 Hewitt, Lleyton (AUS ) 3-6 6-4 6-2
R32 Fish, Mardy (USA ) 5-7 7-6(5) 1-6

Montreal
R64 Roddick, Andy (USA ) 6-3 6 2-6

Los Angeles
R32 Grosjean, Sebastien (FRA ) 6-4 5-7 3-6

Indianapolis
R64 Bye
R32 Ram, Rajeev (USA ) 6-2 6-4
R16 Gambill, Jan-Michael (USA ) 6-4 6-2
Q Roddick, Andy (USA ) 4-6 1-6

He only lost against really good players.
I expect a lot of him in 2004!! :cool:

xr6turbo
Nov 3rd, 2003, 01:59 PM
Yep...if only to see that Kim and Lleyton are NOT the same person!! :lol:

:lol: Yeah i know what you mean!! I dont mean to insult anyone but i actually thought that Kim was lleytons sister when i first saw her a few years ago!! :tape:

bandabou
Nov 3rd, 2003, 02:01 PM
:lol: Yeah i know what you mean!! I dont mean to insult anyone but i actually thought that Kim was lleytons sister when i first saw her a few years ago!! :tape:

I kid you not!! :lol:

xr6turbo
Nov 3rd, 2003, 02:07 PM
:lol:

XaDavK_Kapri
Nov 3rd, 2003, 02:08 PM
He only lost against really good players. I expect a lot of him in 2004!! :cool:

Me too :D

tommystar
Nov 3rd, 2003, 10:38 PM
Mandula/Sávolt :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:
They will win!!

Chance
Nov 3rd, 2003, 10:54 PM

nah... I find the tournament quite exciting, especially the mixed doubles.

Yeah i know what you mean!! I dont mean to insult anyone but i actually thought that Kim was lleytons sister when i first saw her a few years ago

lol me too... I wonder if Lleyton ever ends up kissing his sister by mistake ;) :lol:

~|Naomi|~
Nov 5th, 2003, 02:07 AM
I agree with the semtiments that Belgium are being underestimated. If Xavier doesn't know his way around the mixed court then Molik and Hewitt musn't either cause Belgium pushed the USA to a third set tiebreak while Aus couldn't win a set from the USA. Don't forget Xavier is playing with the 2003 wimbledon and FO womens doubles champ so I kind of think Kim knows what she is doing out there on court so can help him out. Xavier just has to serve big and make his returns.

This is just my own thought on mixed, but to me it all depends on how the female serves and plays, if she doesn't play so well that gives the opposing guy the chance to dominate with big serves returns etc. If hse plays well doesn't give him as big a chance to do that. That is why I think Belgium wil beat Australia but whichever won the match I wouldn't mind, just think Belgium will.

I think it will be a Belgium vs USA or Russia final

XaDavK_Kapri
Nov 5th, 2003, 02:43 AM
Xavier reached two semis in doubles this year with two different partners... So he must be good in doubles, no ?

azza
Nov 5th, 2003, 02:58 AM
Goodluck to

(2) Australia - A.Molik/L.Hewitt
(3) Belgium - K.Clijsters/X.Malisse
France - A.Mauresmo/F.Santoro

FanDeJen
Nov 5th, 2003, 04:56 AM
Iīd like to see Jen and Andre together!!

Knizzle
Nov 5th, 2003, 05:09 AM
James and that one chick are going to win.

BelgianGirl
Nov 5th, 2003, 09:17 AM
I was thinking the same here... The match between Belgium and Australia could be very tight! I think Kim should win her match against Alicia, while Lleyton has a better chance to win against Xavier, although Xavier has beaten Lleyton this year (!). So I'm Looking forward for a very nice decisive doubles game!!!
... by the way: Wasn't Kim telling the year before she liked to play doubles a lot more with Xavier instead of Lleyton! Maybe that can help them beating Australia ;)

Kim did say that several times last year! :p I think Belgium should do well here : Kim should be able to beat everyone in her group, Xavier CAN beat lots of players if he plays at his best and they just team up wonderful in doubles! They have lots of fun on the court together and I think Kim is a great support for Xavier. Like last year, when she gave Xavier some Jelly beans because he was feeling a bit weak and he started playing better! :p

So, go Kim and Xavier!!!! :worship: :bounce: :worship:

justine&coria
Nov 5th, 2003, 11:32 AM
The top-ranked player in each country gets first right of refusal, so Justine couldn't play (had she wanted to) once Kim had decided to. I'd like to see Justine & Olivier Rochus play together sometime though... maybe next year.

Thanks, and thanks to sunset too.

Anyway, if Serena plays and plays near her best, I can't see anyone stopping her and James.
Maybe Kim and Malisse, only if Malisse beats Blake.

Anyway, I've never seen doubled mixed match : how do the women play ? Because, many people say that women play a lot less good than the men ! Are the women a disadvantage for the men = when one team is losing, the guy have some points against the woman of the other team for example ???
Isn't it a good way to really compare women and men playing tennis ?

Experimentee
Nov 5th, 2003, 11:46 AM

its not part of the wta tour so really its an uncompletely important event :yawn:

Obviously the top players dont think so, thats why the best players want to play there every year :rolleyes:

bandabou
Nov 5th, 2003, 11:47 AM
I agree with the semtiments that Belgium are being underestimated. If Xavier doesn't know his way around the mixed court then Molik and Hewitt musn't either cause Belgium pushed the USA to a third set tiebreak while Aus couldn't win a set from the USA. Don't forget Xavier is playing with the 2003 wimbledon and FO womens doubles champ so I kind of think Kim knows what she is doing out there on court so can help him out. Xavier just has to serve big and make his returns.

This is just my own thought on mixed, but to me it all depends on how the female serves and plays, if she doesn't play so well that gives the opposing guy the chance to dominate with big serves returns etc. If hse plays well doesn't give him as big a chance to do that. That is why I think Belgium wil beat Australia but whichever won the match I wouldn't mind, just think Belgium will.

I think it will be a Belgium vs USA or Russia final

Yep and thatīs why it is so difficult to see U.S.A. losing......Serena serves as well as most male players and thus doesnīt give you an attackable serve and most of the female players canīt say that...against the U.S., the other female will always be the weakest link.

Experimentee
Nov 5th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Thanks, and thanks to sunset too.

Anyway, if Serena plays and plays near her best, I can't see anyone stopping her and James.
Maybe Kim and Malisse, only if Malisse beats Blake.

Anyway, I've never seen doubled mixed match : how do the women play ? Because, many people say that women play a lot less good than the men ! Are the women a disadvantage for the men = when one team is losing, the guy have some points against the woman of the other team for example ???
Isn't it a good way to really compare women and men playing tennis ?

Mixed doubles is so fun to watch, especially at Hopman Cup when its a relaxed atmosphere!
Women dont necessarily play worse than the men, it just depends on the player. For example in USA and Belgium, Serena and Kim usually play better than their partners, it depends on how good each person is at doubles.
Sometimes the men find it harder to return the serve of the woman, one year i remember some men saying that. Its bc they arent used to the way some women serve, with a lot of spin/slice etc, and you could see they couldnt return it well, but they had no problems returning the mens serves.

Kirt12255
Nov 5th, 2003, 12:37 PM
Mixed doubles is so fun to watch, especially at Hopman Cup when its a relaxed atmosphere!
Women dont necessarily play worse than the men, it just depends on the player. For example in USA and Belgium, Serena and Kim usually play better than their partners, it depends on how good each person is at doubles.
Sometimes the men find it harder to return the serve of the woman, one year i remember some men saying that. Its bc they arent used to the way some women serve, with a lot of spin/slice etc, and you could see they couldnt return it well, but they had no problems returning the mens serves.

Completely agree!!!!!! :wavey:

Imagine Serena Williams aceing Lleyton....the crowd love to see it. The Hopman Cup is unique in that it brings the best players in the world at one venue, and make them play mixed doubles.

Hopman Cup is the only place you will see players gifted with a diamond encrusted tennis ball. (worth about 70,000 I believe).

Hopman cup is a fantastic opportunity for players to get match-play (Guaranteed 3 matches) and have fun at the same time. New-years eve ball is the glitz of it all...but they have a charity fundraiser.

If...as posted by someone that it is irrelevant.....why would Serena and James come back to play and defend their title?

Word has it that the ITF want to turn it into Home/Away ties with a team of 2 men and 2 women. 4x singles...1xMens and womens doubles and 2x mixed. Personally I think they need to stick with the current schedule....an event that isn't about money-making for the promoters. Fun to watch.

Big chance is that Alicia may not play anyhow :( ....which would have them re-seed...as they have in the past. :wavey:

Fantastic
Nov 5th, 2003, 01:42 PM
I think mixed doubles is mostly about the woman. The men are going to be evenly matched and give as good as they get. They will also pretty much target the woman on the other team every time. So it's up to her moreso than the male player to dictate the direction of the match. In most cases, the team with the better female doubles exponent usually wins the mixed doubles match. That's what I believe anyway.

bandabou
Nov 5th, 2003, 01:49 PM
I think mixed doubles is mostly about the woman. The men are going to be evenly matched and give as good as they get. They will also pretty much target the woman on the other team every time. So it's up to her moreso than the male player to dictate the direction of the match. In most cases, the team with the better female doubles exponent usually wins the mixed doubles match. That's what I believe anyway.

Thatīs true.....and thatīs why the sisters ruled in mixed doubles when they played. Because the gap between them and the rest of the females is HUGE!

kell
Nov 6th, 2003, 12:38 AM
Is it certain that Alicia will be able to play? I hope so . . .

I wish I could be there . . . Xavier has got to the most entertaining player :)

There's gonna be a real conflict of interests for me when Kim and Alicia clash. As much as I love Kim, I really hope Alicia can pull it off . . . but I doubt she can do it. If she does play, she'll be a bit out of practice.

kell
Nov 6th, 2003, 12:40 AM
Oops...I didn't see your last comment, Kirt!

Kirt12255
Nov 6th, 2003, 07:06 AM
Oops...I didn't see your last comment, Kirt!
LOL...Hiya Kell !! :wavey: I still don't know the severity of Alicia's injury...if anyone knows or has inside info...please share and put me out of my misery :wavey:

kell
Nov 8th, 2003, 02:19 AM
LOL...Hiya Kell !! :wavey: I still don't know the severity of Alicia's injury...if anyone knows or has inside info...please share and put me out of my misery :wavey:

Everyone seems to have an opinion in Alicia's forum :rolleyes: . I don't think anyone really knows for sure.

Hawk
Nov 8th, 2003, 02:29 AM
Yay Lleyton and Kim against each other!! :D All the Lleyki's are loving this lol :bounce: I can't wait for that match..even though I won't be able to see it :(

xr6turbo
Nov 8th, 2003, 03:30 AM
Yay Lleyton and Kim against each other!! :D All the Lleyki's are loving this lol :bounce: I can't wait for that match..even though I won't be able to see it :(

I'll get to see it live!!! :dance: