PDA

View Full Version : PAW 2004 commitment thread ??

matija-seles
Nov 2nd, 2003, 06:26 AM
Hey,

Could you please make thread for us to commit for next year tournaments :) ?

SpikeyAidanm
Nov 2nd, 2003, 12:37 PM
Yep, I will put that up in 24 hours time, I promise :wavey:

marcobarella
Nov 2nd, 2003, 08:38 PM
yep, great! ;)

nitsansh
Nov 2nd, 2003, 09:54 PM
what's the hurry?

The next tournament (after Pattaya/LA) is 2 months away...

Anyway... if you post a commitment list, I suggest a seperate thread for each month... collecting commitments will be less time consuming if threads are shorter (which means 100-something posts rather than 200-something...)

nitsansh
Nov 2nd, 2003, 10:01 PM
And also... having to handle a tournament with 70 entries (must be a record, isn't it?), and anticipating further growth in the future due to the popularity of this game, I see a situation that we'll have to find a way to limit participation, so that tournaments will be manageable...
I think the organizers of this great game should discuss possible changes in entry procedures, and I may have some suggestions... so I think it would be better to delay the commitments thread for a while... I don't see the urgency of making commitments in early November for tournaments in January and beyond... no harm will be done if we wait a week or two...

nitsansh
Nov 2nd, 2003, 10:49 PM
I checked the record and it seems that 70-strong tournaments are not unusual...
These are the # of participants in tournaments during the last 2-3 months. These are the # of players that actually participated, the # of entries must have been higher...
US Open 80
Bali 61
Shanghai 59 Columbus 7 Total 66
Leipzig 64
Moscow 48 Tokyo 22 Total 70
Filderstadt 55 Tashkent 21 Total 76
Zurich 74
Linz 45 Luxembourg 32 Total 77
Philadelphia 56 Quebec 24 Total 80
Los Angeles 16 Pattaya 70 Total 86#
#entries
I didn't check further back to see if the participants figures have increased in recent months, but I assume that's the case... naturally the # of players joining the game is bigger than those who "retired"...

While I don't think we should force players to "take a week off", I think it would be a good idea to find a system that will distribute the players more evenly in weeks in which there are 2 tournaments... There's no sense that one tournament will have 50-60 players while the other only 20-30...

SpikeyAidanm
Nov 2nd, 2003, 11:33 PM
I may have some suggestionsons

Please feel free to discuss them.