PDA

View Full Version : Lena's year is over, withdrawn from Pattaya...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

ally baker
Oct 31st, 2003, 06:02 PM
And I'm out of this forum until Gold Coast, hopefully.

Bye.

ally baker
Oct 31st, 2003, 08:04 PM
I hope Lena's impertinance to play... garners her a #25 seed at Australian Open. She can play the match of her life in the 3rd round, against Serena Williams, and still lose.

Lena is losing a fan with her actions.

goldenlox
Oct 31st, 2003, 08:30 PM
It has to be an injury. There's no reason for a healthy Lena not to play.
Next year, Olympics and YEC for Lena. I believe.

ally baker
Oct 31st, 2003, 09:01 PM
Excuses are for losers.

Titles are for winners.

Lena = No titles in 2003. No titles = Loser.

dubro
Oct 31st, 2003, 09:09 PM
so dramatic...

what really can mean a end season minor for a big player ??? :rolleyes:

goldenlox
Oct 31st, 2003, 09:11 PM
Injuries hit winners and losers.
It's not about getting knocked down. It's about getting up and fighting some more.
Lena will fight in '04. And we'll be rooting for her.

ally baker
Oct 31st, 2003, 09:21 PM
so dramatic...

what really can mean a end season minor for a big player ??? :rolleyes:
More than you think...

Just winning a match over some pathetic Asian in the 1st round of Pattaya... could lead to a major difference in her draw at Aussie Open.

I doubt Lena is severely injured. She could have played, and chose not to.

I bet she'll be playing exhibitions soon, though.

Sorry, I'm aggravated. Grand Slams are where careers are made... and I feel she could be throwing away a big opportunity.

goldenlox
Oct 31st, 2003, 09:25 PM
What exhibitions does she play? Are they IMG stuff?
Most players just practice. The ones who play exhibitions usually have powerful management.

the cat
Oct 31st, 2003, 11:26 PM
Ally, I like that you support Lena so well. :) But I think you're being too hard on her. She's obviously not well enough to play Pattaya. She couldn't defend her Quebec title this week because she wasn't healthy enough to do so. And flying all the way to Pattaya to play a tennis tournament when she's not healthy would be a very risky move.

Considering what was expected of her this year Lena had a dissapointing year. :( But she could bounce back and win a couple of WTA titles next year and make a run at a top ten ranking.

GL, are you sure Lena is going to make the Russian Olympic team next year? How many players can Russia put on their women's Olympic tennis team? I wish the Olympic tennis teams would be decided by the WTA rankings. That's the way the grand slams and WTA Tour do it. And that's the way the Olympics should do it.

I haven't heard anything about Lena playing any exhibitions. But I hope she does. It would be great if Lena played a couple of exhibitions. Especially if they were against Maria Sharapova. :D

And I think Lena has a good relationship with Shamil Tarpischev who chooses the members of the Russian National tennis teams. So there is a good chance Lena will be on the Russian Fed Cup team for the semifinals in Moscow.

goldenlox
Nov 1st, 2003, 02:21 AM
I think Lena has a very good chance to make the Olympic team. It won't be easy. But Lena is very talented and she will show it when healthy.
I expect the top Russians to be very close together in the rankings next summer.
I want competition. I want them pushing each other. I want them all to improve.
I think that's going to happen.

dubro
Nov 1st, 2003, 10:00 AM
More than you think...

Just winning a match over some pathetic Asian in the 1st round of Pattaya... could lead to a major difference in her draw at Aussie Open.

I doubt Lena is severely injured. She could have played, and chose not to.

I bet she'll be playing exhibitions soon, though.

Sorry, I'm aggravated. Grand Slams are where careers are made... and I feel she could be throwing away a big opportunity.

i'm not a bige expert about bovina's stuff, but if she was injured (dunno what to think, i know she often cheat...like meny russians...)...ehm, if she was injured she did well in retiring.
doin so, he saved her rankin too (hopefully she did'nt defend any point)

a good player go ahed in GS events also bein unseeded.
we will see

:wavey:

goldenlox
Nov 1st, 2003, 02:46 PM
It doesn't matter if you're injured, sick, slumping, or whatever.
You are what your ranking says you are. And we'll see where Lena is ranked at the end of 2004 and 2005.
And I look at her ranking among the Russians as just as important as her WTA ranking.

ally baker
Nov 1st, 2003, 07:44 PM
Ally, I like that you support Lena so well. :) But I think you're being too hard on her. She's obviously not well. She couldn't defend her Quebec title this week because she wasn't healthy enough to do so. And flying all the way to Pattaya to play a tennis tournament when she's not healthy would be a very risky move.

Considering what was expected of her this year Lena had a dissapointing year. :( But she could bounce back and win a couple of WTA titles next year and make a run at a top ten ranking.

GL, are you sure Lena is going to make the Russian Olympic team next year? How many players can Russia put on their women's Olympic tennis team? I wish the Olympic tennis teams would be decided by the WTA rankings. That's the way the grand slams and WTA Tour do it. And that's the way the Olympics should do it.

I haven't heard anything about Lena playing any exhibitions. But I hope she does. It would be great if Lena played a couple of exhibitions. Especially if they were against Maria Sharapova. :D

And I think Lena has a good relationship with Shamil Tarpischev who chooses the members of the Russian National tennis teams. So there is a good chance Lena will be on the Russian Fed Cup team for the semifinals in Moscow.
I still doubt she wasn't healthy enough to play Pattaya.

I know it's a Tier V, the last tourney of the year... but I don't think this was a time to be precautious.

This hampers Lena's chance of reaching the Top 10... which she'll have a decent chance at, considering all the Indoor points she earned this fall.

I guess I'm just disappointed that Lena didn't play Quebec, nor Pattaya... 2 tournaments she easily could have won... and just doing anything at either tournament would put her in a very nice position for all of next year.

ally baker
Nov 1st, 2003, 07:46 PM
i'm not a bige expert about bovina's stuff, but if she was injured (dunno what to think, i know she often cheat...like meny russians...)...ehm, if she was injured she did well in retiring.
doin so, he saved her rankin too (hopefully she did'nt defend any point)

a good player go ahed in GS events also bein unseeded.
we will see

:wavey:
What do you mean by Lena cheating? :confused:

Lena's retired in 1 match her entire WTA career... and she's not one to fake injuries.

dubro
Nov 1st, 2003, 08:03 PM
i heard several about her cheats.

if u tell me so, probably was a bd info.

apologize ... :rolleyes:

the cat
Nov 1st, 2003, 08:13 PM
Didn't Schiavone have a problem with Lena recently? But nothing I've ever seen from Lena indicates she's a cheater. From what I can tell she's a good sport. :)

goldenlox
Nov 1st, 2003, 08:26 PM
Yeah, I've read other players don't like when Lena wants more time when they're serving.
Maybe that's what he means.

dubro
Nov 1st, 2003, 10:13 PM
yep, they had a lil fight (wid schavone)

snoop saw anything... ;)

Hayden
Nov 3rd, 2003, 08:12 AM
Lena :crying2: Pattaya would've been an easy title for her. :(

ally baker
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:59 PM
Lena does hold her hand up returning quite a bit... but I don't understand why people think that's cheating.

She did that a lot against Jen in New Haven, and against other fast players. Maybe she just isn't ready to return right away.

the cat
Nov 3rd, 2003, 07:03 PM
From what I know Lena doesn't have a reputaion for gamesmanship. It sounds like Schiavone lost her composure and took it out on Lena.

dubro
Nov 4th, 2003, 04:00 PM
What do you mean by Lena cheating? :confused:

Lena's retired in 1 match her entire WTA career... and she's not one to fake injuries.

I’m not telling Lena cheated in schiavone’s match. That was only a fight, and I’m not surprised. I’m Italian like Francesca, I’ve heard many interviews of her and I know how much she is ignorant, it’s natural she is involved in some troubles…
What I’ve said it’s: durin last us open myskina faked an injury just be4 a crucial game over antonella serra zanetti. Italian speakers started complain mEskyna (wretch, in Italian :lol: ) and other Russian players because this cheatin vice. They named Bovina too, but not telling in wich episode
That’s why I dared to tell she’s a cheater
Anyway, I keep on supporting her, because she’s cute, the hat is funny, and I like her tennis of course.
And also because this is the best moderated thread of the board :D
Dasvidania :wavey:

goldenlox
Nov 7th, 2003, 11:22 PM
The Italian announcers say the Russians cheat? I read in GM that Belgian announcers question the real age of the Russian teens.
Look at the bad girl reputation that the Russian players are getting.
They're outlaws.

scarlett retsel
Nov 8th, 2003, 03:40 PM
The Italian announcers... who support players like Grande who talk shit about Lena after matches, and Schiavone, who literally threatened Lena on court.

Not too hard to see where this one lies.

goldenlox
Nov 8th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Grande and Schiavone. I didn't realize Lena was having so much stuff going on.
I guess it's the price of success. People want to keep Lena in her place.
Her racket will do the talking, when she's healthy.

the cat
Nov 8th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Sweet and likable Elena Bovina needs to become more imposing! :eek: She is nearly 6'3" tall and she has great power. And she can be an imposing tennis player with her great size and great power. But she needs to get tougher and if necessary get meaner, too! :mad: That's how she can become a top tennis player. :D

goldenlox
Nov 8th, 2003, 07:55 PM
I don't think Lena needs to get meaner. She needs to stay healthy.
Her game is solid. She has a weapon. She just needs to play.

Fantasy Season
Nov 9th, 2003, 01:19 AM
Lena is mean when she plays... she often gives mean glares at her opponents. Lena may not fist pump after every point like Maria... but Lena is close. Plus, she's always screaming in Russian to herself. And she grunts really loud when it's an important shot.

I agree with GL, she just needs to play. Keep playing. Find some consistency with top game. That's the big word here: consistency.

goldenlox
Nov 9th, 2003, 01:31 AM
I think unless you're a rare talent, it takes time to gain the wisdom and experience to stay focused when things aren't going well.
Especially for a 6-3 player. No way Lena would peak in her teens.

Fantasy Season
Nov 9th, 2003, 01:48 AM
I still think Lena is rare talent. It will show.

goldenlox
Nov 9th, 2003, 01:52 AM
I mean like Hingis at 16. Or Capriati at 14. Once in a while there's a young prodigy. No one Lena's height will peak early in tennis, I think.
Lena does have serious talent. I would call Serena a rare talent.
Lena's future looks super.

Fantasy Season
Nov 9th, 2003, 02:00 AM
Yes, I agree that Lena's body type and her type of game, isn't the best for peaking early.

Her time will come, though.

goldenlox
Nov 9th, 2003, 02:18 AM
I think Lena is the most talented of the Russians.
But there are good players, older and younger. I wonder if they enjoy all the competition, or if it's stressful.
I'm seeing a lot of Nastya and Elena this week.
I think we're going to see the Russians on tv more and more. But they have to win to get on tv.

Fantasy Season
Nov 9th, 2003, 02:36 AM
Lena better get some titles next year.

If not, I will hate her... and spit on her in Montreal.

goldenlox
Nov 9th, 2003, 02:40 AM
Roddick on SNL tonight.
Lena has titles. I want tier I's and II's.
I love that picture of Lena with the Warsaw trophy.

Fantasy Season
Nov 9th, 2003, 03:19 AM
Roddick :yawn:

Can you post pics of Lena with the Warsaw trophy? I don't recall any very nice ones.

goldenlox
Nov 9th, 2003, 01:08 PM
It's funny you posted the yawn smilie. I couldn't stay up. I taped SNL. I'll watch it this afternoon.
I've only seen the one pic, in the title thread. For right after a match, I think she looks awesome. I said that in the thread.

the cat
Nov 11th, 2003, 03:33 AM
Have you watched it yet, GL? "Saturday Night Live" hosted by Andy Roddick was dissapointing to me. :( I was a fan of the show in the 1980's. Maybe GL has a different viewpoint. And I was dissapointed to see John McEnroe there to help Roddick. :( I think John Patrick McEnroe is the most talented men's tennis player I have ever seen! :D But his time in the spotlight has passed. It's like McEnroe can't let men's tennis move past his era of tennis and personalities.

goldenlox
Nov 11th, 2003, 03:39 AM
I didn't think it was good. They really insulted Agassi, Navratilova, the Williams sisters and their dad. And BJK.
Not very funny either.

the cat
Nov 12th, 2003, 03:21 AM
GL, if men's tennis was counting on getting a lasting publicity boost from Andy Roddick hosting "Saturday Night Live" I don't think they got it. The show was dissapointing and Roddick was overshadowed by John McEnroe refuses to leave the spotlight.

goldenlox
Nov 12th, 2003, 03:26 AM
The ATP and WTA should be making hundreds of millions of dollars.
Anna makes crazy money for exhibitions. And the WTA doesn't get a cut. Without tennis, Anna would still be in a small apartment in Moscow. How does the WTA not get a percentage of that?
Every time "The Rock" makes money, Vince McMahon gets a piece.
The players become multi-millionaires. How could the sport be in such financial disarray?

the cat
Nov 12th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Excellent points, GL. Especially how Anna would still be living in a small Moscow apartment if she didn't get involved in tennis. Anna is a phenomenol money earner but the WTA Tour has not benefitted from that and that hurts the tour. And the same goes for the ATP Tour.

GL, I haven't seen one movie The Rock has starred in. Are they good action movies?

goldenlox
Nov 12th, 2003, 08:58 PM
Tennis is a global sport. The YEC can sell tv rights around the world. Every big tournament can. They can bring in sponsors to be associated with an event.
I don't see how the WTA and ATP can have the problems they do.
Maybe more tier I's should be men and women combined.

the cat
Nov 13th, 2003, 12:03 AM
GL, you have alot of good ideas where tennis is concerned. :) The stale and leaderless WTA Tour needs someone like you who is young and has fresh ideas about tennis and how to market and promote it. :D I wish there was a way you could get into a WTA Tour training program. The WTA Tour and ATP Tour have alot of great players and personalities! :bounce: And they shouldn't have the marketing problems they currently have. But they do. :(

goldenlox
Nov 13th, 2003, 12:42 AM
I'm serious. The WTA should be a huge moneymaker. And the players who get rich and famous should understand that it's not only their talent and hard work, but they also need this tour. Rowers and judo players don't make money.
The players are fortunate that the tour exists.

the cat
Nov 13th, 2003, 03:25 AM
I know you're serious, GL. And you make sense with what you say. But I'm not sure if tennis players who are generally selfish understand that it's just as important for their tour to be as successful as they are. Tennis is a me sport and most of the players act that way.

goldenlox
Nov 13th, 2003, 03:31 AM
It has to be a me sport. Each player is competing against everyone.
The majors draw big and sell tv rights all around the world. The WTA has to create more big events. And separate that from the stuff that Sharapova wins.
And then market the big events worldwide.

the cat
Nov 13th, 2003, 02:43 PM
GL, what's your point about the WTA Tour creating big events and seperate that from the stuff Sharapova wins? :confused: Why does Maria have anything to do with this?

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 13th, 2003, 03:35 PM
GL is just saying that there needs to be more big events. I agree. There should be form like the Tennis Masters Series in ATP... where the top players are forced to play those tournaments.

An example is golf, where there's the 4 majors, plus they've recently 4 World Golf Championship tournaments, where all the top players around the world play.

I'd suggest making tournaments like Miami, Indian Wells, Rome and Toronto these "2nd tier" of important tournaments.

For the casual fan, there's the slams and just a bunch of other tournaments... and that image isn't good for making money.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 13th, 2003, 03:36 PM
As far as Maria's wins... they're basically minor league wins, and tournaments like Quebec aren't helping the tour, whatsoever.

goldenlox
Nov 13th, 2003, 07:36 PM
That's what I was trying to say. Events that the WTA can sell the tv rights for all over the world. That corporations want to sponsor. In cities that might draw crowds.
There was an L.A. event this summer. No tv, no crowd, not even website scores. What was the point? It doesn't make money, and it makes women's tennis look trivial.

the cat
Nov 14th, 2003, 12:43 AM
Now I understand what you mean, GL. And I agree with what you say. But I don't know if the WTA Tour has the ability to create a Masters Series schedule like the ATP Tour has.

As for Maria Sharapova's first 2 WTA titles, they are in the WTA history books as Tier lll titles. And that's all that matters.

goldenlox
Nov 14th, 2003, 12:49 AM
And when the KC is played, there shouldn't be another tournament the same week.
If there is, a Russian who made the round of 16 at Wimbledon shouldn't be in Tokyo instead of Moscow.
Even if it's not like a Master Series, the WTA should have a few events that are special, different than the weekly grind.

the cat
Nov 14th, 2003, 01:16 AM
Great points, GL :) Especially about how the Kremlin Cup should be the only WTA tournament that week. And it was unfortunate that Maria Sharapova played Tokyo instead of Moscow. :( But atleast Masha won Tokyo which just happened her first WTA title. :D

goldenlox
Nov 14th, 2003, 01:21 AM
And I don't blame Maria and Max for wanting to get a tour win under their belt.
There shouldn't be tournaments opposite major tournaments. Maybe a Tier II and Tier III the same week.
Nastya deserved that week all to herself. That's a problem the WTA inflicts on themselves. It belittles their own events.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 14th, 2003, 03:23 AM
the cat, but I think it was so fortunate that Masha chose to compete in Tokyo.

I’ve already read too many press reports on the issue of Anna not yet winning any WTA title. But when the 16-year-old Masha managed to win 2 Tour titles, some people start to discredit them as just being Tier III titles, minor league wins and so on. Then those same people expect Masha to be seeded for the Australian Open. But if Masha didn’t play and win Tokyo and Quebec, she wouldn’t have gained those points to put her at #32. And this just Masha’s first year on tour, so maybe it isn’t very fair to expect her to play the Kremlin Cup.

I want to conclude my post with a quote from a Reuters’ report: “Winning first Tour title was a statement of intent and whatever Sharapova achieves from now on, nobody will be able to take this precious title from her.”

(I know it’s a bit inappropriate to discuss Masha in Bovina’s thread.)

goldenlox
Nov 14th, 2003, 03:30 AM
People use Anna's lack of a title to discredit a player who was #8 in the world.
So everyone wants to win one as soon as possible. But you're judged on how you fare in the majors. Nobody considers Nagyova a top player. She won 9 small titles.
Anna is a separate situation. Tennis players don't get on the cover of FHM and Maxim.

goldenlox
Nov 14th, 2003, 03:53 AM
I think winning a singles title is great. But for Maria, she's going to have to win much bigger titles to be considered a success.
Lena has to do well in majors for people to know who she is.
Fortunately for both, good tennis players make a lot of money. But they don't play for the money.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 14th, 2003, 04:16 AM
Yes, it’s really unfortunate that Anna’s been having chronic back injuries. Otherwise we could have seen her true ability in playing tennis. (It also was unfortunate that we couldn’t see the realistic tennis rivalry between Seles and Graf after Seles got stabbed.)

Regarding Masha, I’m sure she’s gained a lot of experience from playing those Tier III tournaments. But surely in the near future Masha will also have to prove that she can play the majors successfully. (Masha is only 16 whereas Nagyova is already 25, there is a difference.)

the cat
Nov 14th, 2003, 02:26 PM
It's true that Maria will have to win bigger WTA titles in the future to become an elite tennis player. But she is taking things step by step. And winning smaller WTA titles in the first step. :) By the way, Sharapova's 2 WTA titles are of the same quality as Elena Bovina's 2 WTA titles. ;)

GL, I agree that Myskina should have had the spotlight on her the week she won the Ladies Kremlin Cup in Moscow. But I for one was concentrating more on the happens in Tokyo where Maria Sharapova won her first WTA title. And Sharapova winning her first WTA title is bigger news in the tennis world than Myskina winning Moscow is.

MSF, you made excellent points about Masha playing Tokyo and why she should have played there instead of in Moscow. I think Mashara is on her way to the top. And I hope she collides with Elena Bovina along the way! :eek: The sparks will fly! ;) And the Russina's are bound to be having fierce rivalries in the future. :D

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 14th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Lena has the same worthless 2 titles that Maria has... just look at the crap Lena beat to win Warsaw & Quebec. :sad:

The point is, however... the only reason a few people know of Lena was her QF run at US Open.

I believe Maria wanted to play Moscow, but Japan Open is sponsored by IMG, so she had to play there.

But, I still like Maria's schedule... and Cat's right in saying this is a step for her.

Not everyone has to know of her now... and that's better for her. The biggest part of being a top player is consistency and confidence. She's gaining that now, by playing people she know she should beat. There's no hurry to play the Top 10 players now... and lose 9 times out of 10.

This is an ideal that I wish Lena would use... and many other players in 20ish ranked range. Play some of these tournaments... get further into tournaments, gain some valuable rankings points, experience and confidence.

goldenlox
Nov 14th, 2003, 07:39 PM
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Lena recently beat Capriati, Davenport, Myskina, Suarez, and Snyder.
Maria got only 3 games against Kim. Every other match she's played recently were against 50K level players.
If Lena plays more little tournaments, she'll have more of those little wins, like Nagyova.
Once in a while, play a tournament as a top seed. To play with that pressure.
I think Lena belongs in the big tournaments. Maria would be a non-factor there - like Toronto.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 14th, 2003, 08:19 PM
Yes, and Lena only reached 1 SF beating those players.

Maria took 1 set from Kim in LA.

goldenlox
Nov 14th, 2003, 08:24 PM
Lena went QF, SF, QF. Maybe Maria would make one QF in the same 3 tournaments.
I think Lena belongs in the tournaments that Nastya and Elena D. play in.
I don't know how Maria would fare if she didn't play those Tier III's.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 14th, 2003, 08:26 PM
I argue that Lena didn't belong in those tournaments...

Coming into Moscow, how far did you realistically think she would have gone?

She was struggling in the 30-35 ranking range.

That's when winning the Quebec's and Tokyo's is needed... and still needed.

goldenlox
Nov 14th, 2003, 08:30 PM
I thought with a 5 week layoff, Lena would lose first round. When she beat Capriati in the second round, I thought Lena would win the KC.
So I'm no good at predictions.
With the season ending, I thought Lena playing Quebec or Pattaya was a great idea.
Look at Canberra - Nadia, Paola, and Sylvia in a Tier V.
I think Maria had a little luck - no Ai in Japan, no Lena or Mary in Quebec.

goldenlox
Nov 14th, 2003, 08:39 PM
I think looking back, Lena should not have played 4 straight weeks.
It's too much wear and tear physically and mentally.
If Lena survives January, and stays healthy, her ranking will improve all spring and summer.

goldenlox
Nov 14th, 2003, 10:17 PM
I'm guessing that Lena wasn't healthy to play Quebec or Pattaya.
But Lena got 4 more points in Moscow than Maria got in Tokyo.
I think she made the right decision to play the KC.
The problem was staying healthy earlier in the year.

goldenlox
Nov 15th, 2003, 12:56 AM
So you would rather have Lena play Tokyo, Luxembourg, and Quebec?
Lena would have gotten fewer points that way. And what if Ai was healthy in Tokyo?
I like what Lena did. Unless the goal is to win Nagyova tournaments.
Lena is better than that.

the cat
Nov 15th, 2003, 01:15 AM
#1 CAF, you make a good point about Maria playing Tokyo in part because it's an IMG tournament.

GL, it's not really fair to compare 16 year old Maria to 21 year old Elena. I think Maria is much further along at 16 than Elena was a 16. Elena can beat players like Jennifer Capriati and Lindsay Davenport because she's full grown at 21 years of age. But Maria isn't yet strong enough to beat Capriati and Davenport. Just give her time. Maybe by the end of 2004 Maria might be ranked higher than Elena. ;)

goldenlox
Nov 15th, 2003, 01:19 AM
That's my point too. Lena is 20. She's proven herself by beating slam winners.
Maria is trying to get her ranking up by avoiding tough fields.
Lena can get more points playing the tough players.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 15th, 2003, 03:03 AM
We all know that at 16, there is only a limited number of tournaments that Masha can play. So she'd been clever in choosing to play the tournamment that she had more chance to win than play those she was most likely to lose at early rounds.

Yes, it would be good if Masha could play Ai in Tokyo, because even if Masha loss, she could have learnt how Ai plays. As for Mary, it's too bad that she loss the SF so convinsingly in Quebec.

And maybe it isn't very reasonable to make comparison between 2 completely defferent players.

the cat
Nov 15th, 2003, 03:08 AM
GL, Lena is more prepared to play the top players than Maria is because she is 4 years older than Maria is. But Maria is a much better tennis player at age 16 than Lena was. And in my opinion Lena has not fully proven herself yet, even though she has a big upside. She had a mediocre year this year. She needs to have a very good year next year.

goldenlox
Nov 15th, 2003, 03:10 AM
Both Lena and Maria are still learning how to be the best players they can be.
But Lena can compete with everyone except the four best, imo. And Maria is not quite there yet.
You never know at what rate players will mature. At the end of 2005, Maria K. might be considered a better player than Maria S.

goldenlox
Nov 15th, 2003, 03:18 AM
I think Lena, Nadia, and Vera Z. are all inexperienced players, even though they are 20 and 19.
At the end of 2004, I think these three and Nastya and Elena D. will all be very close.
I think Sveta, Maria S., and Lina will be close.
Dinara and Maria K. I think need more time.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 15th, 2003, 03:31 AM
GL, Lena is more prepared to play the top players than Maria is because she is 4 years older than Maria is. But Maria is a much better tennis player at age 16 than Lena was. And in my opinion Lena has not fully proven herself yet, even though she has a big upside. She had a mediocre year this year. She needs to have a very good year next year.
I think the age difference isn't an accurate way to judge them.

First off, when I first saw Lena in 2000 US Open when she was 17, she was nothing but knees and elbows... you couldn't compare her to the physical condition Maria is in now.

Plus, Lena wasn't seriously into tennis until her teens... where I believe Maria started at a very young age.

I just think that people are expecting too much when they say "Maria is so good at 16, she's gonna be a great player".

goldenlox
Nov 15th, 2003, 03:35 AM
Exactly. People assume improvement because she's 16. And they assume that if she's this good at 16, she has to be that good at 20.
Maybe Maria will be. That's the fun part. So many Russians so close.
It's a competition among them, and among the whole tour.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 15th, 2003, 03:41 AM
Both Lena and Maria are still learning how to be the best players they can be.
But Lena can compete with everyone except the four best, imo. And Maria is not quite there yet.
You never know at what rate players will mature. At the end of 2005, Maria K. might be considered a better player than Maria S.
Lena's best tennis, on a quicker surface, beats Kim, Justine and Venus more than 50% of the time, IMO. That requires 2-3 sets of her best tennis. So rare that it happens.

I may be biased when I say that Lena is that good... but nobody can deny that Lena can control play against anyone on tour, except maybe Serena.

Kim and Justine have lost to Lina, Myskina, Dokic, Capriati, Sugiyama in the past couple months... all players Lena has proven she can defeat. Lena's not as far away as it seems.

goldenlox
Nov 15th, 2003, 03:44 AM
I asked you this summer about the difference between Lena and Lindsay.
What you said still holds true.
Experience and serve. Lena's backhand is better. Lindsay's forehand is better.
The experience will come. I think Lena's serve will determine if she wins slams.

goldenlox
Nov 15th, 2003, 03:52 AM
You, biased? Nah.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 15th, 2003, 11:06 AM
Certainly people expect more from Masha as they have more interest in her because of what they called her the "next Anna K".

I hope Masha can be "that good" at 20. Even if she is unable to be, I do believe a determined person like her would have already tried her very best.

the cat
Nov 15th, 2003, 01:36 PM
It's a good reminder to not assume developement and progress where Maria is concerned. Sometimes I forget that it's not automatic.

You're not biased. #1 CAF. You are generally fair in your posts about Lena. And you are sometimes critical of her, too. But I must disagree with you about Elena Bovina being able to beat Kim Clijsters, Justine Henin and Venus Williams more than 50% of the time on a quicker surface. I just don't see it. Especially because Lena can't run with Clijsters, Henin and V. Williams. Lena can hit with them when she's on. But she can't run with them. And speed is so important in women's tennis.

MSF, I agree with you that no matter what happens Maria will give her very best effort to become #1. And that can't be said about all tennis players.

goldenlox
Nov 15th, 2003, 03:06 PM
The "they" who call her the next Anna are her management. The same strategy tried with Harkleroad and Hantuchova.
The difference between these three and Anna is that when Anna came along, she wasn't the next Anna. She's THE Anna.
If you look at the USA Today tennis page, they ask which player do you want to see have their own reality show. Anna has 35%, McEnroe 15%, and on down the list. Sharapova is last, 1%.
That's from tennis fans who use computers.
And this minor league hype wouldn't annoy me except that I think it hurt Hantuchova's tennis. So I think it might hurt Maria, I'm not sure.

the cat
Nov 15th, 2003, 06:47 PM
Gl, it's a good sign that Maria is last in that poll. That's all a bunch of nonsense anyway and Maria doesn't need to get sidetracked by fame the way Anna did.

And I've never heard Maria's management team call Masha the next Anna Kournikova. Maria would be furious with IMG if they did that! :fiery: She can't stand being compared to Anna. :mad: It grates on her nerves. Of course the flip side is that being compared to Anna has been beneficial to Maria as far as contracts and her name recognition go.

goldenlox
Nov 15th, 2003, 09:10 PM
I saw and heard Maria insulting Anna on HBO. I don't believe IMG just lets a 14 year old go on tv and insult a professional athlete without telling her what to say.
The only reason Maria was on the show is because of Anna comparisons. They showed Anna and Maria on split screen. HBO didn't know who Maria is, they were told she was a new Anna. And Maria was told to insult Anna.
Or Maria insulted Anna on her own.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 16th, 2003, 12:37 AM
goldenlox, please tell me what exactly Masha said in insulting Anna on HBO, as I don't have any knowledge on this matter yet. Thanks.

the cat
Nov 16th, 2003, 01:02 AM
GL, at the time of that interview (early 2001) Maria was only 13 years old. Why won't you let go of it?

MSF, I have that interview on tape. Maria was asked about Anna Kournikova by Bernard Goldberg of HBO Sports and Masha who was smiling said in as amused tone something about how Anna hasn't won a tournament but she's the highest paid female athlete in the world. And Maria said that's not was she's looking for. In my opinion Maria was not trying to be malicious towards. :angel: But perhaps she was being a little catty towards Anna. :cat:

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 01:11 AM
In early 2001, Anna was #8 in the world. You said IMG doesn't do Anna comparisons.
That show proves they do. And they have been doing it since before Maria played a pro event.

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 01:29 AM
I'm not trying to knock Maria. She's 16. A very good player already.
But the extra hype she gets is from her management.
It's not because people are fascinated with her. The USA Today poll shows that.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 16th, 2003, 01:34 AM
Thanks a lot, the cat. It doesn't sound like an insult to me. It seems to be truthful.

Last year Anna also said the following thing about Masha: "A copy can't never be as good as the original."

However, we all know that Masha doesn't want to be "the next of anyone" as she always insists "I'm the first Maria Sharapova."

It's great that Bovina "can compete with anyone except the 4 best." But it's even greater that Masha already managed to beat Bovina once.

I read from one press report that Huntuchova and Dokic "burnt out" because they had played too many tournaments after they turned 18.

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 01:39 AM
the cat didn't give you the direct quote. Maria made it sound like being compared to Anna is an insult. And Anna was #8 at that time.
When Anna said that about Maria, she made it clear she was joking.
And Maria is going to hear Anna's name for the rest of her public life. That's because most reporters don't care about tennis. But Anna interests them.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 16th, 2003, 01:43 AM
But at Birmingham and Wimbledon and at other tournaments so many people went to see Masha play. And she'd also attracted most photographers' attention.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 16th, 2003, 01:51 AM
Regarding reporters making comparison between Masha and Anna, after Wimbledon one reporter already wrote: "but Sharapova can turn out to be even better than the real thing."

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 01:52 AM
No, no, no. When Maria lost to Sveta at Wimbledon, it wasn't on a show court. There was no tv.
When Maria lost to Asagoe in Birmingham, there was no media coverage in the U.S.
Maria did give Bovina a spanking, 3 & 1. I'll bet that still hurts.

And the Anna comparisons are meant by IMG to insult Anna. That's another reason I don't like them.

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 02:10 AM
And the stuff IMG does to hype Maria is all minor league. Taking photos with Doug Flutie - that was a distraction that did nothing positive for Maria. And the late, late show - Harkleroad just did that. That show has no impact on anything.
It's all so bush league. Yet I wish IMG would do it for Lena B.

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 02:20 AM
I'm not happy with Octagon either. Elena D. and Lina are both beautiful. And good players. Octagon ignores them because Anna can earn them a bigger percentage.
These management companies should let more of their clients get a chance to do tv shows, or other public appearances.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 16th, 2003, 02:39 AM
I just wrote a lot of people went to see Masha play, I didn't at all talk about the TV and news coverage. However, there were so many newspaper reports on Masha in June that I myself haven't got time to finish reading them all yet.

Yes, this year it's almost all minor league thing. But let's wait and see what will happen in 2004.

I think Masha would prefer to let her performance on court does the talking for her.

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 02:44 AM
Maria wasn't drawing fans to Wimbledon. The fans are there for anyone playing. And they never put Maria on centre court.
Birminham was a minor tournament. I don't know what fans showed up.

If Maria wanted her on court results to do her talking, she would fire Max. That's a definate. If she keeps this management, then she wants hype.

the cat
Nov 16th, 2003, 02:52 AM
GL is sure fired up tonight! :fiery: :eek: ;) I love your passion, GL. But I still think Maria was kidding around when said that about Anna on HBO.

And you are right about Octagon not doing enough to maket Elena Dementieva and Lina Krasnoroutskaya. I get the feeling that Anna's immense popularity has hurt the marketability of the other Russina's. :( The media probabaly thinks there's no need to cover the other Russina's off the court becuase there cannot be another Anna. But Maria Sharapova will change that and the media will turn to her in time.

I enjoyed the football photos of Maria and Doug Flutie. :D That was different. And there's nothing wrong with Maria appearing on The Late Late Show. It's a good experience for her. I wonder if Craig Kilborn the Late Late Show host will ask Maria about being compared to Anna Kournikova. I wonder what Maria's response will be. I bet she'll be polite if she's asked about Anna. :angel:

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 02:52 AM
In fact Maria and her dad don't want her results to talk for her at all, or Max would have been fired long ago.
You don't do a photoshoot right before playing the world's # 2 who is about to become the world's # 1.
That is an insane distraction. A nobody doing a photoshoot before she plays a # 1. That's sick. You fire Max then.

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 02:57 AM
You're right that I'm into this. The idea that Maria wants her play to do her talking is such bull, it's insane to think that.
Maria allows nonsense hype that she hasn't earned at all. I mean at all.
Her on court play - look who knocks her out of tournaments - Sveta, Asagoe, Loit - let them do photoshoots.
Maria's on court performance doesn't talk. There's nothing to talk about.
Let Nagyova talk first.

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 03:03 AM
Plus you're assuming nothing goes wrong - an injury, a slump, who knows what could happen. I don't think Maria improved since July.
Her results against Elena and Kim were worse the second time. It's no lock she plays well next year.
The hype, that's a lock.

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 03:12 AM
I've got a lot to more to say. That on court performance line really wound me up.
But I don't want to insult Maria.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 16th, 2003, 03:15 AM
It's a good reminder to not assume developement and progress where Maria is concerned. Sometimes I forget that it's not automatic.

You're not biased. #1 CAF. You are generally fair in your posts about Lena. And you are sometimes critical of her, too. But I must disagree with you about Elena Bovina being able to beat Kim Clijsters, Justine Henin and Venus Williams more than 50% of the time on a quicker surface. I just don't see it. Especially because Lena can't run with Clijsters, Henin and V. Williams. Lena can hit with them when she's on. But she can't run with them. And speed is so important in women's tennis.

MSF, I agree with you that no matter what happens Maria will give her very best effort to become #1. And that can't be said about all tennis players.
Lindsay could never run with them either... and she's had her time at #1. Lena playing well can overpower anyone. Lena's wins over Venus and Jen prove to me she is capable. As far as Lena actually being a Top 5 player, or even a Top 10 player... many strides are needed in consistency.

It's great that Bovina "can compete with anyone except the 4 best." But it's even greater that Masha already managed to beat Bovina once.

Again, that match hardly means anything. Lena was still recovering from sickness, and was struggling to even compete in matches for months... and had negative confidence. Lena only was able to beat freaking Obata in the 1st round, because Saori did a titanic choke job.

When Maria lost to Asagoe in Birmingham, there was no media coverage in the U.S.
Maria did give Bovina a spanking, 3 & 1. I'll bet that still hurts.

Lena didn't even want to play Wimbledon... and she knew she was going to lose early. If you don't believe me, get a tape of her matches at Wimbledon... and see how much she didn't give a damn against Obata. Her main goal was trying to find her game back so she would be given a chance to finally play Fed Cup.

I enjoyed the football photos of Maria and Doug Flutie. That was different. And there's nothing wrong with Maria appearing on The Late Late Show. It's a good experience for her.

For Maria, the person, it's not a good experience. We all know there's one reason she'll be on TV, and it's not about hitting a tennis ball. I understand the money aspect of all of this hoopla... but for a teenage girl, receiving attention like this, can only warp the mind.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 16th, 2003, 03:19 AM
And the stuff IMG does to hype Maria is all minor league. Taking photos with Doug Flutie - that was a distraction that did nothing positive for Maria. And the late, late show - Harkleroad just did that. That show has no impact on anything.
It's all so bush league. Yet I wish IMG would do it for Lena B.
I don't want Lena on some stupid show.

I would like to see Lena do some off-court photo shoots... just so I can see, and everyone can see, how beautiful she is.

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 03:20 AM
I wasn't assuming that Lena played well. But you never want to lose like that to a 16 year old. Lena is competitive. Or she wouldn't be as good as she is.

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 03:22 AM
I like those pics saab put in the Fed Cup thread of Elena.
It's because of her hair style. I don't like the hat Elena D. wears.
Lena with the right clothes and hairstyle - I want her to show herself off.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 16th, 2003, 03:23 AM
I read from the reports that many fans went to see Masha at Birminham and Winbledon, so it must be true.

As for the centre court, Masha will have to work hard further for it.

IMG has paid for Masha's training at the Tennis Academy. Without them, she wouldn't have been who and where she is today. And I'm just an ordinary tennis fan so I'm not in the right position to judge Max.

And Masha already managed to beat Loit at other tournament later on.

As for Kim and Elena, when playing Masha the second time they already know how she plays, so of course these top players played better.

Let's be more open-minded and wait for the next year to begin then we'll see whether Masha would play better or not. Then it'll be the right time to do the talking.

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 03:29 AM
And what happens when they play a third time? It's not that they figured Maria out. They let the hype around Maria distract them the first time.
The pressure shifts, just like with Hantuchova. And Maria will to start to feel it. And the good players she plays will be ready for her.
But her on court performance doesn't talk. Nagyova's speaks louder.
The only talking is Max. Not the tennis.

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 03:44 AM
I read reports that the moon was made out of green cheese. That must be true too.
Has Maria beat Sveta yet? Sveta was 17 when Wimbledon started. Get her an endorsement deal.

the cat
Nov 16th, 2003, 03:49 AM
You're still fired up, GL! :fiery: And you're tkaing your frustrations out on Maria IMG agent Max Eisenbud. :eek:

Maria Sharapova has been the best player or one of the best players every level she has played on. And the same will be true of the WTA Tour. And it was a good sign that she beat Shinobu Asagoe and Emelie Loit so soon after they beat her.

Maria will make mistakes on court and off the court. That's all a part of the maturation process. I believe Masha will be known as a tennis champion. :D How great a tennis champion remaims to be seen.

Maria Sharapova is much tougher than Daniela Hantuchova is. And Maria has a mean streak Dani never had. :mad: She won't falter and get caught up in fame like Dani did.

Good night. :wavey:

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 03:51 AM
I'm still laughing about letting Maria's on court performance talk for her.
It's not many tournaments where # 93 leaves in a wheelchair and you win. Anna never had that happen for her.
I don't think she'd want that.

You know, if Anna did a home video with Enrique, and let it get public, Anna would be THE biggest star in the world. She would make hundreds of front pages. Be talked about on radio and tv constantly.
The world of celebrity is wacky.
The world of top class sports is much tougher.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 16th, 2003, 03:53 AM
It's OK to think that Masha's on court performance hasn't talked.

But it's most likely that Masha will be selected as the most improved female player for 2003.

OK, her tennis may not talk. But her rankings did it for her impressively - from #186 to #32.

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 03:58 AM
And what about the 31 in front of her? Are they doing photoshoots right before they play Kim?
What about the players who win Tier I's? Like Myskina?
There are plenty of teenagers ranked ahead of Maria. Kim is 20. Serena and Venus are coming back.
Maria's talking next year will still be only Max.

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 04:05 AM
It's much tougher to move to greatness than to get your ranking up.
Where Maria is, her on court whispering - is miles from Serena and Venus.
She's nowhere near winning a big tournament.
If Sveta makes top 15, does that make her a threat to win a major?

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 04:11 AM
Hantuchova last year was much better than Maria is.
She beat Justine and Hingis to win a Tier I. Beat Justine in New York.
Hantuchova got through the draw to Serena or Venus at 3 majors.
Then the new Anna hype took over. What clothes she wore. How she sat during changeovers.
All eyes on her.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 16th, 2003, 04:41 AM
With Masha's good looks, it would be a waste if she didn't do those photoshoots.

Once again, I prefer to let Masha's on court action do the talking.

the cat
Nov 16th, 2003, 12:27 PM
Good morning! :wavey: GL, do you think Maria Sharapova was happy Milagros Sequera broke her ankle in the Quebec final Maria had under complete control? Masha said after the match that's not the way she wanted to win. Maria won the first set easily and would have won the match and title even if Milagros hadn't gotten injured. And it isn't Maria's fault Mary Pierce didn't make the final in Quebec to give us a glamour matchup of Mary versus Maria. Maria can only control who she plays. She can't control what Mary Pierce and Ai Sugiyama do in tournaments such as Quebec and Tokyo.

Maria's ranking improved from #186 to #32 this year. That's a great jump for a 16 year old! :bounce:

And GL, I'm not sure why you're comparing Maria to Daniela. :confused: Daniela is 4 years older than Maria and she should be expected to have more impressive results than Maria has at this stage of Maria's young career.

What on court whispering does Maria do? :confused:

I must say GL that I'm a little surprised at your negative attitude towards Maria. :( But to each their own. The bottom line is this: Masha Time is coming to women's tennis! :D

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 01:12 PM
I'm not negative towards Maria. I just don't like being spammed.
Telling me that IMG doesn't compare Maria to Anna is nonsense. It's a lie. Why should I not respond to it?
And Maria's on court performance is in the record books. Sveta and Loit knocked her out of the majors. That's not great tennis.
Is Sveta on the late, late show? Is Nastya? They had better years than Maria.
I'm not knocking Maria. I'm trying to be realistic. I don't call any of the players names. But I don't pretend a Tier III win is Wimbledon.

the cat
Nov 16th, 2003, 01:31 PM
GL, I was hoping a restful nights sleep would have calmed you down. :angel: :kiss: ;) But you're still fired up and that's okay because I like a good debate as long as it stays friendly.

Who is spamming you? IMG?

Anastasia Myskina and Svetlana Kuznetsova live in Europe and not America. Thus they aren't going to be on The Late Late Show.

Did I miss something? Did Kuznetsova do anything worthwhile in singles after Wimbledon? Nyet. After her debut Wimbledon breakthrough Maria Sharapova had an excellent win over Nadia Petrova in Los Angeles, took a set off of Kim Clijsters in Los Angeles and won 2 Tier lll tournaments. And did Kuznetsova improve 154 places in the rankings this year like Sharapova did? Nyet.

And by the way GL, Kim Clijsters was so impressed by Maria Sharapova after her 3 set win over Maria in Los Angeles that Clijsters said Maria could go all the way to the top of women's tennis. :D And I would think Clijsters would know potential when she see's it.

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 01:40 PM
What Sveta did was go further than Maria at both Wimbledon and the US Open. Sveta lost to Justine and Kim in those majors, and beat Maria when they faced.
And Sveta made the US Open finals in doubles, and the YEC.
Maria is so far from winning majors that saying 'Masha time' is meaningless.
Kim says nice things about everyone. Unlike Maria.
In the rematch, Kim bageled Maria.

the cat
Nov 16th, 2003, 01:54 PM
I guessed you missed the "nice" things Kim Clijsters said about Justine Henin when she accused Henin of faking an injury timeout this past summer and went on to say Henin had done that in all their matches. It was wrong of Clijsters to say those things about Henin because it's not true. And now their relationship is strained.

GL, I said Masha Time is coming to women's tennis. I didn't say it was already here. ;)

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Saying "Masha time" is fine. But this is Lena's forum. In here, it's Lena Time!
And Lena is ranked #21. Lena made a slam quarterfinal.
And Lena's taller. So there.

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 01:57 PM
Kim's not worried about Maria. She IS worried about Justine.

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Lena's taller now, but as soon as I'm sure that Masha is taller, then I'm on the bandwagon.
It happened with my sister and me.

the cat
Nov 16th, 2003, 02:22 PM
What happened with you and your sister? :confused:

And it will be Lena Time in 2004! :kiss:

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 02:24 PM
My sister got taller than me.
Lena time is 2004-2015.

the cat
Nov 16th, 2003, 02:42 PM
Now I remmember. You're little sister makes you look like a pipsqueak! ;) But I bet she's not as strong as Masha. :woohoo:

So GL, you've got over a decade of Lena Time coming. :D But what will happen when Lena Time collides with Masha Time? :eek: :boxing:

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 02:49 PM
There can be only one. That's why they play the game.
There are so many good Russian players, these matchups are going to be great for years.
To make the team for Fed Cup, Olympics. Eventually, Russians might be meeting in slam finals.
Then sparks will fly.

the cat
Nov 16th, 2003, 03:16 PM
It is a good time to be a fan of the Russina's. :D The competition between them will become fierce as the players improve. And I'm looking forward to the day when a female Russian tennis player wins a grand slam singles title. :bounce:

By the way GL, I was only kidding around when I said Masha is stronger than your little sister. ;) From how you've described your little sister I'm sure that's not the case. But Masha will in time grow into an imposing and intimidating figure on the tennis court! :eek:

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 16th, 2003, 08:27 PM
All this talk about Maria boosts the post count of this forum... so please continue. :p

I'm getting tired of every good Russian (except Myskina) being blonde. I want a pretty Russina with jet black hair like me, to rule the tour.

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 08:44 PM
Linetskaya is a brunette. I don't know if you read her cheering thread.
Her dad locked her in her room for days. Strange stuff.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 16th, 2003, 08:55 PM
Lina was a blonde before, when she won US Open.

I'm not sure what she actually is.

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 10:39 PM
I'm still thinking about how Maria wants to let her on court performance do her talking for her.
So losing to Sveta and Loit at the slams means there's no doubt she beats Serena?
It seems Maria's mouth talks louder than her tennis.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 16th, 2003, 10:43 PM
GL, none of this is about tennis...

If we only focused on Maria's tennis... you guys wouldn't be talking about her in this thread.

Maria can run her mouth all she wants... because 99% people out there don't give a darn if she does beat Serena.

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 10:54 PM
Maria's tennis is good. I don't know how this thread twisted.
I think cat likes to mention Maria in every post.
I'd rather talk Lena. Does she talk about her career goals?

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 16th, 2003, 11:02 PM
Maria's tennis is good... but her career so far has been quite comparable to Kuznetsova. I wonder why she doesn't receive the same hype. :rolleyes:

Lena has said in previous interviews that her goal is to reach Top 5.

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 11:15 PM
I want Lena to reach top 5 also.
Sveta beat Ms. hype. First wimbledon for both.
Which do you think is Lena's best surface?

the cat
Nov 16th, 2003, 11:29 PM
GL, you're the one who spurred this thread on with your negative talk about Maria Sharapova. And I responded accordingly. But I bet you're going to watch or tape her appearance on The Late Late Show thursday night. ;)

I think Lena can reach the top 10 next year. But she needs to stay healthy and have a coach that will help her fulfill her vast potential. I think that Elena Bovina has the second highest ceiling of all the Russina's. :D She can go a long way. But it's up to her.

P.S. - Maria Sharapova is the best under 18 player in women's tennis. :) That cannot be denied. And that's why she's being marketed by IMG. Tennis is looking for a new young star and IMG knows that. I know it's not right for IMG to pass over their other good players in favor of marketing Maria. But that's the way it is.

P.P.S. - #1 CAF, like you, I would like to see a beautiful Russina with jet black hair dominate women's tennis. :hearts: So get out there and work on your kick serve girl! :bounce:

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 16th, 2003, 11:30 PM
Lena says she likes hard best. I'd have to agree. I'd say the US Open courts, bounce high and are fast, would be best for her.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 16th, 2003, 11:31 PM
P.S. - Maria Sharapova is the best under 18 player in women's tennis. That cannot be denied. And that's why she's being marketed by IMG.

Replace Maria's face with Svetlana's. Then tell me the same thing. :p

the cat
Nov 16th, 2003, 11:36 PM
You got me, #1 CAF! ;) It isn't fair. But that's the way the system works.

I added to my previous post about a beautiful Russina with jet black hair. Alina Jidkova is gorgeous! :hearts: But she doesn't have your mysterious Russian beauty. And Jidkova's kick serve is lacking. ;)

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 11:39 PM
If I don't yell "Masha Time!", it doesn't mean I'm negative.
I don't want to insult the other players, who have done more on court.
I'm not going into forums and saying another player is better. And she isn't anyway.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 16th, 2003, 11:41 PM
Alina is a very very beautiful woman! I met her in Toronto, and she's very nice also. I love her fiestiness on court too. :)

Unfortunately though, she has no weapons, and will never be a Top 50 player... and probably never Top 75 in her career again.

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2003, 11:46 PM
Even if I was in Sharapova's forum, I would say the same thing. Her tennis is good, far from great. And at least 6 Russians had better years this year.
Vera Z. doesn't get extra points because she's still a teenager.
Hingis won majors at 16.
This is Lena's forum.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 17th, 2003, 12:39 AM
I agree on the age factor.

Compare Maria physically to most players at 16... Maria is far enhanced. Plus, as we see with many players who start so young... they to finish rather early also.

goldenlox
Nov 17th, 2003, 12:50 AM
Each person is different. I think the tour has very little depth. The same players make the finals in every major. The same 3 or 4 win every major for years now.
Behind them, there's a close scramble between about 20 players. None of them are considered contenders at the majors.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 17th, 2003, 12:51 AM
The following players have done the talking excellently for Maria Sharapova’s on court performance:

On 8 March 2002 Monica Seles said: “Her groundstrokes remind me of Lindsay Davenport.”

In November 2002 Amy Frazier said: “Overall, she's got a complete game. She has a big serve, really good groundies. Pretty much everything.”

On 14 June 2003 Elena Dementieva said: “She is a very good fighter and plays every single point from first to last. She has a good game for grass and has such a big desire.”

On 16 June 2003 Martina Navratilova said: “She has a nice game.”

On 28 June 2003 Jelena Dokic said: “If she can keep playing like that she will reach the top 10, but then she will have to stay there.”

On 30 June 2003 Lindsay Davenport said: “Already she seems more athletic than I was at 16 with a better serve.”

In addition, Navratilova also said: “She has a good team of people around her.”

goldenlox
Nov 17th, 2003, 12:53 AM
One way to up the post count is to have all the Dani and Maria fans post in the Herd.
And bring big smilies.

the cat
Nov 17th, 2003, 01:03 AM
MSF, thank you for posting the positive quotes about Maria's game! :D :kiss: :worship: I couldn't have said it better myself. ;) And don't forget that after Kim Clijsters beat Maria Sharapova in 3 sets in Los Angeles this summer she said Maria has the game to make it to the top of women's tennis! :bounce:

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 17th, 2003, 01:04 AM
Maria fans I don't mind... Dani fans I don't think I could put up with.

The poor girl is a mental case.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 17th, 2003, 01:05 AM
MSF, thank you for posting the positive quotes about Maria's game! :D :kiss: :worship: I couldn't have said it better myself. ;) And don't forget that after Kim Clijsters beat Maria Sharapova in 3 sets in Los Angeles this summer she said Maria has the game to make it to the top of women's tennis! :bounce:
And it's very often a player says their opponent sucks... unless it's Dokic. :p

goldenlox
Nov 17th, 2003, 01:12 AM
I prefer the Dani fans. The Maria fans might be into underage girls.
Aren't we all mental cases?

goldenlox
Nov 17th, 2003, 01:49 AM
Does Lena being streaky work against her on clay? That surface takes patience, even if you have weapons.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 17th, 2003, 02:30 AM
And yes, “Maria's on court performance is” indeed “in the record books”:

Some WTA records for 2003:

- At 16 years, five-and-a-half months, Maria is the youngest Tour singles champion of 2003; and 17th youngest in Open Era.

- Maria is only the fifth WTA Tour player in 2003 to sweep both titles at the one event.

- Maria’s Japan Open victory (combined with Myskina's victory in the Kremlin Cup) marked the first time 2 Russian women won WTA titles on one day.

- Maria is the youngest WTA Tour player to win 2 Tour singles and 2 Tour doubles titles in one year.

- Maria tied a Wimbledon record by advancing to the 4th round as a wild-card.

- Maria was the youngest of 5 Russians in 4r at Wimbledon (a Grand Slam record).

In addition, Maria was the youngest ever finalist in the junior event at the Australian Open in 2002.

goldenlox
Nov 17th, 2003, 02:36 AM
I think Justine and Serena let their on court performance do the talking. They each won two majors. Kim and Venus did well too.
If Maria is happy with her Tier III trophies, good for her.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 17th, 2003, 03:13 AM
And yes, “Maria's on court performance is” indeed “in the record books”:

Some WTA records for 2003:

At 16 years, five-and-a-half months, Maria is the youngest Tour singles champion of 2003.

Maria is only the fifth WTA Tour player in 2003 to sweep both titles at the one event.

Maria’s Japan Open victory (combined with Myskina's victory in the Kremlin Cup) marked the first time 2 Russian women won WTA titles on one day.

Maria is the youngest player to win 2 Tour singles and 2 Tour doubles titles in one year.

In addition, Maria was the youngest ever finalist in the junior event at the Australian Open in 2002.
I know all this... I'm the master of tennis trivia on this board.

Do you have a point?

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 17th, 2003, 03:16 AM
I prefer the Dani fans. The Maria fans might be into underage girls.
Aren't we all mental cases?
No, we're not all mental cases.

I don't cry during every match I play.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 17th, 2003, 03:19 AM
Does Lena being streaky work against her on clay? That surface takes patience, even if you have weapons.
I don't think Lena is that weak on clay. She knows how to slide, and moves fairly well on it. It's just that her opponents' can run down more of her shots.

goldenlox
Nov 17th, 2003, 03:20 AM
Dani's fans remain positive. I think they've handled 2003 very well. Anyway, tennis is stressful. I don't think Dani's nuts. Just emotional.

goldenlox
Nov 17th, 2003, 03:23 AM
I've never seen Lena play on clay. An extra plus to the Russian players' improvement is that they should be on tv more and more. I want more Lena.
In fact I want all the Russians to play Harkleroad.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 17th, 2003, 04:21 AM
I think the only tape available of Lena on clay is her 2001 RG match with Sandrine.

I shouldn't be expecting people to be in a hurry to buy Bovina tapes though... :p

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 17th, 2003, 06:05 PM
To get back to the topic of this thread, that was lost so long ago... :p

Lena pulled out of Pattaya because of a strained leg muscle. She had committed to both Philly and Quebec months beforehand, but once the indoor season came, she withdrew for that week.

goldenlox
Nov 17th, 2003, 07:29 PM
We both knew Lena had to have an injury to not play at the end of the season.
People don't realize how tough the tour is on the players' bodies. Almost everyone gets injured.

goldenlox
Nov 17th, 2003, 07:56 PM
I want Lena to let her on court performance do her talking in 2004.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 18th, 2003, 11:14 PM
She will.

No injuries... a Top 15 year, at least.

goldenlox
Nov 18th, 2003, 11:29 PM
If Lena stays healthy, top 10 is a realistic goal.
There are a lot of players like Paola that Lena should go right by.
So I agree, top 15, at least. 2004 is still just the beginning.

goldenlox
Nov 18th, 2003, 11:59 PM
I can't walt until a healthy Lena is playing the other Russians. I want every Russian in the top 40.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 19th, 2003, 12:05 AM
A healthy Lena beats the other Russians most of the time. Check her results from 2001-Aussie Open 2003.

goldenlox
Nov 19th, 2003, 12:13 AM
This was another really good thread. Like Moscow.
I think I was more agitated in this thread than I've ever been on the internet.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 19th, 2003, 12:15 AM
This thread was a disaster.

Everyone should be talking about Lena, not some other inferior player.

I want GM to be all stupid posts about Lena... like it's currently all stupid posts about the Williams and the Belgians.

goldenlox
Nov 19th, 2003, 12:19 AM
GM is just a race war. That won't change until V&S retire.
This thread insulted a lot of Russians because Nagyova Jr. is 16. So that means you can belittle everyone else.
I do plenty of stupid posts about Lena. Everyone else has to follow my lead.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 19th, 2003, 12:21 AM
Stupid posts in here mean nothing.

Since we post in Russian Roulette... that makes us Russian experts. It also makes us tennis know-it-all's that belittle the regular poster.

Maria still has to win 7 titles to catch Nags. Nags is in a league of her own. Or, maybe a league with Anna Smashnova-Pistolesi. I personally think Nags is cuter than little Masha, anyway.

goldenlox
Nov 19th, 2003, 12:29 AM
She keeps playing Quebec type events and she'll get those 7.
Stupid posts in GM mean more?

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 19th, 2003, 12:31 AM
Yes, because posting in Russian Roulette automatically makes you smarter. It's an image thing.

Don't assume Maria can be Nags. There's players in the Top 20 currently that wish they had the titles Nags has.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 19th, 2003, 12:32 AM
1375 posts.

We'll catch Anna! Then, step on her and spit on her.

goldenlox
Nov 19th, 2003, 12:37 AM
I think she has the game to equal Nags.
I avoid GM because it's mostly racially motivated put downs. I like the players I root for. Let them all insult each other's faves.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 19th, 2003, 12:39 AM
Lena acts and plays like Venus... so there can't be any racial slurs towards her.

goldenlox
Nov 19th, 2003, 12:44 AM
It won't be a skin color put down. It's like what Kim gets - no slams. Or Justine - bad record against Venus. There will be some reason to insult her if threads about Lena become frequent in GM.
It's true about every player that gets mentioned a lot in GM.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 19th, 2003, 05:26 PM
Lena looks like Big Bird. I like that insult.

goldenlox
Nov 19th, 2003, 08:09 PM
My goal is to lessen the amount of insults to my faves, not to think of new ones.
I don't want to insult any of the players. Sometimes I do it when comparing them to other players. But it's not my intention.
I do think Maria will be known for winning the most trivial titles, like Nagyova.

dubro
Nov 19th, 2003, 09:38 PM
Lena acts and plays like Venus... so there can't be any racial slurs towards her.

:sad: :sad:

big bird??
wich bird?' a cardinal or what?' :rolleyes:

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 20th, 2003, 01:24 AM
Lena has the same worthless 2 titles that Maria has... just look at the crap Lena beat to win Warsaw & Quebec.
No comment.

goldenlox
Nov 20th, 2003, 02:34 AM
If Lena was getting hyped for what she's done, she wouldn't deserve it.
But she's not playing exhibitions with Harkleroad. And Lena is IMG also.
Lena is not getting the promotion before the results.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 20th, 2003, 02:56 AM
Udachi Lena~

goldenlox
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:02 AM
Nagyova, Bovina, Sharapova.
It's like a lineage of worthless trophies.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:04 AM
Lena looks pretty with her Warsaw trophy though.

goldenlox
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:06 AM
The three of them should do a photoshoot.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:08 AM
Nah, just Lena.

The other 2 can stand behind her.

goldenlox
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:10 AM
Nagyova is in the Warsaw photo. Nagyova Jr. can stand in the background.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:13 AM
Originally Posted by the cat - Maria Sharapova is the best under 18 player in women's tennis. That cannot be denied. And that's why she's being marketed by IMG.

Replace Maria's face with Svetlana's. Then tell me the same thing. :p
No comment.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:15 AM
Nagyova is in the Warsaw photo. Nagyova Jr. can stand in the background.
Is it better being Nagyova Jr., instead of Anna Jr.?

goldenlox
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:17 AM
No. Anna is living like an heiress. The last photos of her are on a beach with Enrique.
Nags will have to get a job when she retires.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:19 AM
Maria is going to be a model now?

Oh dear... it's looking more and more like the 12423143th story of another Russian hope, falling to shambles.

goldenlox
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:21 AM
She's too solid to model. She has to lose weight like Dani did.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:24 AM
Anna never lost weight. She still has that chubby cute face.

If Maria takes this modeling with any seriousness... tennis go bye-bye.

At 16 years old too... her head is going to be gigantic.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:29 AM
Lena has the same worthless 2 titles that Maria has... just look at the crap Lena beat to win Warsaw & Quebec.
Nagyova, Bovina, Sharapova.
It's like a lineage of worthless trophies.
Bovina would be ‘most appreciative and delighted’ if she knew how ‘highly” some of her fans ‘value’ her trophies.

goldenlox
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:31 AM
Maria's head was too big when she did the HBO show.

As long as Maria cherishes her junk, that's all that matters.

goldenlox
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:43 AM
Anna still has a chubby face, but Anna is arguably the most popular woman athlete of all time.
So if she wants to model, the red carpet will be rolled out for her.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:43 AM
Cherishes her junk? :p

goldenlox
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:45 AM
It would be junk next to Nastya's KC trophy.
Anna has slam trophies. In doubles.
Nagyova Jr. is a Tier III kind of gal.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:47 AM
Oh, I thought you were referring to Maria's body "junk" :p

Nagyova Jr. could win doubles titles. I think Martina is dumping the piranha.

goldenlox
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:50 AM
Neither one of them can volley.
Martina and Tammy can win some.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:53 AM
Lena can volley. Let's put her with Martina.

Maybe Lena can teach Martina to wear see-through shorts during practice.

goldenlox
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:55 AM
Lena and Martina would win slams.
Martina wanted someone who makes Martina look slender, not musclebound.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:59 AM
Sveta doesn't help that, however... since she's so ugly, nobody even considered her a part of the team.

goldenlox
Nov 20th, 2003, 04:00 AM
Sveta's not getting a modelling deal. But she kicked Maria's junk right out of Wimbledon.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 20th, 2003, 04:02 AM
And who remembers that Sveta beat Maria, and reached the QF?

Pathetic Russian tennis fans.

Tennis is all about looks.

Sad, but true.

goldenlox
Nov 20th, 2003, 04:04 AM
There are very few tennis fans. Find someone who knows the Fed Cup is being played.
If I ask 100 people tomorrow, zero will know about it.

And IMG knows it because Sveta and Loit bounced Nags Jr. right before a worldwide tv audience could see her.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 20th, 2003, 04:06 AM
Heh... good point.

Tennis is marketed so poorly... and there's no excuse for it.

If you can't sell hot teenage girls, wearing little clothing... you can't sell anything.

goldenlox
Nov 20th, 2003, 04:08 AM
Marketing tennis - that's where I was going when the thread became a Nags Jr. thread.
In 2004, Moscow is the only tournament that week. This year, it was stupid to have that garbage Tier III.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 20th, 2003, 04:10 AM
Correct.

But, there's the Grand Slams... and a bunch of other tournies. That's how it will always be.

goldenlox
Nov 20th, 2003, 04:13 AM
And the slams are flawed because there are too many players who can't get into the KC qualies who are in a main draw at a major.
So you get Serena - Craybas all week.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Nov 20th, 2003, 04:17 AM
As long as Maria cherishes her junk, that's all that matters.
Some quotes from goldenlox in 'Maria Sharapova Cheering Club' thread:

- On November 6th: “Starting in Paris, Maria's going to be seeded for every major, for years and years.”

- On November 6th: “Maria is so far ahead of the other Russians her age.”

- On November 14th: “Maria only has 56 points to defend through April. If she plays well early in 2004, Masha is going to be in the top 20 well before Paris.”

- On November 16th: “Maria's tennis is good.” – In 'Lena's year is over, withdrawn from Pattaya...' thread.

goldenlox
Nov 20th, 2003, 04:19 AM
The good thing about women's tennis is that Sveta gets paid - I think she made twice as much as Maria on court.
Over half a mill.
I said "Maria plays good tennis." But Sveta had a better year.

If we were on a women's rowing message board, the athletes would all be broke.

Gotta go to bed.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 20th, 2003, 04:23 AM
Lena will be in the Top 20 by Paris.

She's the best 20-year-old Russian.

Bovina's Herd. How we love thee so. Moo.

dubro
Nov 20th, 2003, 05:22 PM
Moo :haha:

goldenlox
Nov 20th, 2003, 08:43 PM
If Lena was on the Fed Cup team, she might have been picked to play that final match against Pierce. That would have been a high pressure match.
Imagine how Vera must feel.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 20th, 2003, 09:19 PM
No.

Lena wouldn't have been picked because that would have been the smart decision. She played well this fall. Tarpischev only would pick the worst player available.

goldenlox
Nov 20th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Imagine if Lena was picked and had an off day. And lost that match to Pierce.
What a nightmare way to end the season.

the cat
Nov 21st, 2003, 01:00 AM
I'm back! :wavey:

Who's the worst player available? Vera Zvonareva? Don't be mean to Vera. :mad: It's not her fault Russia lost to France. Vera is a good counter puncher who should not be asked to beat 2 power players on a fast indoor court.

Poor Lena. She had to be crushed not being picked for the Fed Cup semifinals. :sad: And it doesn't make any sense because France brought their power players to action but Russia didn't. :confused: France had Amelie Muscles Mauresmo and Massive Mary Pierce to play power tennis on a fast indoor court and Russia puts 2 lightweight counterpunchers against them. Not a good move. Now Myskina had to play because she's the best Russina and deserved to play the singles. But how could Shamil Tarpischev leave Elena Bovina off the Russian team when he knew that both Elena Dementieva and Nadejda Petrova weren't feeling well? :confused: Tarpischev must have known about Lena's fine wins indoors this fall. He could have made a change to Bovina at the last minute. But he didn't. And it's a decision that probably cost Russia the 2003 Fed Cup. :(

goldenlox
Nov 21st, 2003, 01:09 AM
Vera was in a tough spot. Now she to forget it and move on. Just like the Buffalo kicker who missed in the Super Bowl.
It's over. On to Portland. Anna vs. Coetzer.

the cat
Nov 21st, 2003, 01:40 AM
GL, it's going to be very hard for Vera to forget this. She loves representing Russia in team competitions. She proved that as a junior.

But according to TBE and Vaiva after Vera lost to Mary Pierce she was crying and her teammates walked away from her. :mad: Reading that dissapointed me. :sad:

And it's going to be hard for Elena Bovina to forget this, too. Like Vera, Elena loves to represent Russia in team competitions. But she was surprisingly left off the Russian Fed Cup team even though she had good wins indoors this fall and stands an imposing 6'3" tall. I still can't figure it out. :confused:

Is it time for a new Russian Fed Cup captain?

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 21st, 2003, 01:43 AM
Lena desperately wants to play Fed Cup as much as possible... the poor thing went out there sick as a dog in the April matches, just to try and play.

But, she shouldn't have been on the team. Nastya, Alyona, Nadya and Vera were clearly the 4 best Russians this year.

It's too bad Lena isn't from US or Belgium... she would have easily been the #1 player.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 21st, 2003, 01:44 AM
YES, it is time for a new captain.

If Nadya was able to play the doubles... she wasn't that sick to miss the singles' match.

goldenlox
Nov 21st, 2003, 01:47 AM
They were the 4 highest ranked Russians. Really, Nastya and Elena D. should be playing. #7 & #8 in the world.
If you're sick, someone else plays.

Vera wasn't going to play doubles. Nadya or default.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 21st, 2003, 01:48 AM
Yes, but I think they were sick after the team was decided.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 21st, 2003, 01:49 AM
Nadya or default? They won the match. Why not default anyway?

If Nadya was so ill, they would have lost quickly.

goldenlox
Nov 21st, 2003, 01:54 AM
There were at home. It would look bad to default after losing.
I don't know. I didn't see it.
If Nadia's not 100%, you can't play her in such a huge singles match.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 21st, 2003, 01:55 AM
I suppose...

I just question how sick Nadya really was.

goldenlox
Nov 21st, 2003, 01:57 AM
Whoever plays that match, if they lose, it's a brutal, brutal loss.
Like a close Super Bowl. May take years to get another chance this good.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 21st, 2003, 01:59 AM
You don't go in thinking you will lose though.

If Nadya plays close to how she did from Zurich-Philly... Russia wins the tie 3-2.

goldenlox
Nov 21st, 2003, 02:01 AM
If Lena plays like Filderstadt ... Not always easy being head coach.
You're about to be #1 in RR forums.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 21st, 2003, 02:16 AM
For the last while, Russia has stuck with picking the highest 4 ranked players. I have no problem with that... and that is why Lena B. should not have been on the team.

Nadya, Nastya, and Alyona were great at the end of the year... and Vera was consistent.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 21st, 2003, 02:16 AM
Yes... Bovina's Herd will be #1 tonight.

:)

the cat
Nov 21st, 2003, 02:17 AM
Who would you like to see the new Fed Cup captain be? Elena Makarova? The Russina's might relate better to a female captain. :)

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 21st, 2003, 02:19 AM
No idea who'd be suitable as the next Fed Cup captain...

Although, I do agree that a former Women's player would be a better decision.

goldenlox
Nov 21st, 2003, 02:19 AM
It's going to take a while for Lena to pass one of them, if they stay healthy.
It might take until after FO points come off.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 21st, 2003, 02:20 AM
It will take until RG to pass any of the Top 4 Russians.

There's a good chance Lena will be passed by Maria also... since she has nothing until Wimbledon. Possibly Sveta also.

the cat
Nov 21st, 2003, 02:22 AM
The competition among the Russina's next year is going to be fierce! :D And there's going to be some friction among them because there is so much at stake. :eek:

goldenlox
Nov 21st, 2003, 02:23 AM
If Lina starts the year strong, she might be top 20 before the Pan Pacific points come off.
8 Russians in the top 20: Nastya, Elena, Nadia, Vera, Lena, Nag. Jr., Lina, Sveta.

the cat
Nov 21st, 2003, 02:29 AM
GL, why are you calling Mashara Nag. Jr.? :confused: Maria will be twice the player Henrieta Nagyova ever was! ;) :D

But I like your 8 Russina's in the WTA top 20. :) But that will cause some tension among them. The buddy buddy days of the Russina's is going to change into a fierce competition among the Russina's! :eek: :boxing:

goldenlox
Nov 21st, 2003, 02:35 AM
Until she wins 7 more titles, she should consider it a compliment.

the cat
Nov 21st, 2003, 02:44 AM
Okay GL. But I don't think Maria would consider it a compliment. She doesn't even like being compared to Anna Kournikova. :eek:

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 21st, 2003, 02:49 AM
It will tough for Lina to get the 300 points to move up to Top 20... then she has some decent points to defend in Tokyo, Dubai and Doha.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 21st, 2003, 02:50 AM
GL, why are you calling Mashara Nag. Jr.? Maria will be twice the player Henrieta Nagyova ever was!

I hope so. This new modeling thing has me worried.

goldenlox
Nov 21st, 2003, 02:50 AM
It will be hard for Lina. But after February, she didn't do much except Toronto. So I think top 20 after Wimbledon is very possible.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 21st, 2003, 02:52 AM
True... and Lena will be in the same position.

goldenlox
Nov 21st, 2003, 02:54 AM
That's what I mean by 8. The results at the FO and Wimbledon can shuffle the pack.

goldenlox
Nov 21st, 2003, 03:02 AM
And I left out Elena L., who was inches from the US Open quarterfinals. And bounced Nag. Jr. in Toronto.
And Dinara, who's 17, and Maria K., who won two rounds in New York, and then lost 4 & 2 to Mauresmo.