PDA

View Full Version : "Lena, please play Pattaya" thread

ally baker
Oct 26th, 2003, 03:10 PM
Reasons why Lena should play Pattaya:

1) Easy title.

2) She still has 1st round losses counting toward her Top 17... so any win here is good.

3) Just winning 1 match would put her Top 20 at the end of the year.

4) She'll be the #1 seed.

5) She'll be the only Russian to win a match next week.

6) Beat lots of Asians.

7) The Asian posters will post funny stuff with their horrible English, about how they hate Lena for beating their Asian favorites.

goldenlox
Oct 26th, 2003, 03:13 PM
I think she might have an injury. Why else would she not defend her title in Quebec?
I hope it's not an injury, just taking the week off after 4 straight.
The season's ending. Why would she not play if healthy?

ally baker
Oct 26th, 2003, 04:11 PM
I think she might have an injury. Why else would she not defend her title in Quebec?
I hope it's not an injury, just taking the week off after 4 straight.
The season's ending. Why would she not play if healthy?
Maybe she just wanted rest... and she got far in 3 of the 4 weeks, also. She's hasn't played that many matches in a month, since her challenger days.

Remember, Lena doesn't play as much as the other Russians. I don't think it's a major injury to her leg.

goldenlox
Oct 26th, 2003, 05:20 PM
If it is an injury, it came at a bad time. I wouldn't take this week off if I'm healthy. Lena would have a bye. That's a full week between the second round in Quebec and the Nastya match.
Either way, I hope to see Lena on tv if she wins a few rounds in Melbourne.

Hayden
Oct 28th, 2003, 06:31 AM
Go Lena:) Take the easy title in Pattaya :)

andre_janis
Oct 28th, 2003, 08:28 AM
The one in Quebec is easier than Pattaya title. It would be better if she plays Quebec. Unfortunately, it just too late.

I hope that Lena is brave enough to meet the Asian young guns.

:)

Reasons why Lena should play Pattaya:

1) Easy title.

2) She still has 1st round losses counting toward her Top 17... so any win here is good.

3) Just winning 1 match would put her Top 20 at the end of the year.

4) She'll be the #1 seed.

5) She'll be the only Russian to win a match next week.

6) Beat lots of Asians.

7) The Asian posters will post funny stuff with their horrible English, about how they hate Lena for beating their Asian favorites.

ally baker
Oct 28th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Udachi Lena!

Win your first Tier V!

Watch out for G and Tammy and Wilawan Choptang!!! They having the Asian prides!!!

goldenlox
Oct 28th, 2003, 07:53 PM
It's either play Pattaya or go on vacation. This is a terrible time to have a minor injury. It heals, and the season is over.

ally baker
Oct 28th, 2003, 11:18 PM
Lena will play Pattaya.
Lena will win Pattaya.
Lena will look beautiful holding her new trophy.

Hayden
Oct 29th, 2003, 11:07 AM
Go Lena. Pattaya is yours.

goldenlox
Oct 31st, 2003, 03:01 AM
It's Friday in most of the world. I'm getting eager to find out if Lena's playing Pattaya or not.

ally baker
Oct 31st, 2003, 03:06 AM
She's still in the commitments from earlier this week. I think if she would have pulled out... she would have by last week.

We'll see.

goldenlox
Oct 31st, 2003, 03:08 AM
I hope she plays. No YEC or Fed Cup for Lena this November. You want to end the year on a good note. It'll take forever for next season to get here.

ally baker
Oct 31st, 2003, 03:11 AM
Exactly... nothing else besides exhibitions to do.

Just 1 or 2 wins in Pattaya means finishing the year in the Top 20.

The more points Lena gets here... the better chance Lena has of getting Top 10 once Roland Garros comes around.

goldenlox
Oct 31st, 2003, 03:14 AM
And Lena was playing so well. I thought after Filderstadt Lena was going to make a big statement at the season's end. She can still win a title.
I love when players defend titles. So I don't know what's going on. I wanted Quebec. I'll take Pattaya.

ally baker
Oct 31st, 2003, 03:17 AM
Lena still played well after Filderstadt.

Nadya supposedly played very well in Zurich. Nastya finally got a win over Lena... Lena played horribly, and Nastya still had to fight to win.

Nothing wrong with those losses.

None of those players in Pattaya... so it looks promising.

goldenlox
Nov 1st, 2003, 02:27 AM
Are you sure there's going to be that big a difference in the draws that Lena gets next year based on the points she might have won in Pattaya?
As long as Lena is playing well, there are very few players she can't beat.
I want Lena to play good players. Ai, Chanda, Paola, bring 'em on.

ally baker
Nov 1st, 2003, 03:43 AM
Yes.

For Grand Slams... if you're seeded #17-#24... you will play someone in the #9-#16 range in the 3rd round.

If you're seeded #25-#32.. you play #1-#8 range in the 3rd round.

Lena has to defend 77 points for the SF's of Gold Coast... and as of now, that would drop her to...

You got it... #25.

That may not seem like a big difference... but the difference between the 3rd and 4th round is 100 points. Plus, the further you get... you never know how a draw will open up.

lasagna & donuts
Nov 1st, 2003, 03:50 AM
fight lena baovina:):)

goldenlox
Nov 1st, 2003, 02:41 PM
Leena, I now understand. And thank you for explaining.
But injuries and slumps happen. Lena has to play the cards that she's dealt.
There's only one major before late May. So there's plenty of tournaments before the French for Lena to get into the top 20.
If Lena can stay healthy next year, she will show everyone what she can do.

the cat
Nov 1st, 2003, 10:23 PM
I expect Lena to have a very good year next year. By that I mean that I think she will win a couple WTA tournaments, make the top 15 and make a serious run at the top 10.

goldenlox
Nov 1st, 2003, 10:34 PM
If Lena plays these third rate tournaments that Maria plays, she'll win plenty.
But Lena was playing the big tournaments in October, not Tokyo and Quebec.

the cat
Nov 2nd, 2003, 12:04 AM
That's not fair, GL. Maria is only 16 and she should be playing some smaller tournaments. Maria is learning how to win on the WTA Tour. :) On the other hand Lena is 21 and she should be playing the tougher tournaments than Maria does at this stage of her career. And she is. And Lena's top wins this year are far more impressive than Maria's top wins. But remember that you're comparing a 16 year old girl to a 21 year old woman. And let's not forget that the very inexperienced Maria Sharapova tore the much more experienced Elena Bovina to shreds at Wimbledon! :eek: I think Bovina was intimidated by Maria and she didn't even put up a good fight against Maria in their second round match.

goldenlox
Nov 2nd, 2003, 12:12 AM
I'm not comparing them. Maria played some big tournaments, L.A. and Toronto.
Now she's playing the little ones.
I'm saying if Lena did that, she'd win plenty of them.

the cat
Nov 2nd, 2003, 12:23 AM
But the way you said third rate tournaments made me think you were degrading Maria's accomplishments. I'm sorry for misunderstanding you. And yes, Lena would win some of these smaller tournaments if she played them. In fact she has. She won Quebec last year. Amd Warsaw, too.

goldenlox
Nov 2nd, 2003, 12:32 AM
I don't know if Maria is playing as well as she was this summer.
Her results in England and L.A. look better to me than beating Kapros in a third set tiebreak.
Maria beat Nadia in L.A.
I think Nadya and Nastya are playing much better than Maria is now.

ally baker
Nov 2nd, 2003, 12:34 AM
Lena did try against Maria at Wimbly, and I really really doubt she was intimidated like Nick said...

The 1st set was very close. Lena had game points in every game but 1... but Maria won every big point. Then Lena got frustrated, and tired probably, and faded away. Again though, Lena was still recooperating at that time... so don't assume Maria is far better than Lena now.

The thing is... Maria's gaining just about as much points as Lena is for beating Davenport, Capriati.. by winning tournaments like Quebec and Tokyo.

goldenlox
Nov 2nd, 2003, 12:39 AM
I think if Maria wins matches in Melbourne and Paris, she could be a top 15 seed at Wimbledon.
Lena has few points to defend for a lot of next spring.
Add Nastya, Elena, Nadya, Vera, and hopefully Sveta, and there should be a lot of Russians in the top 15 next summer.

ally baker
Nov 2nd, 2003, 12:42 AM
Lena has basically nothing to defend from February-August.

There could easily be 6 Russians in the Top 15 next summer.

goldenlox
Nov 2nd, 2003, 12:52 AM
And I want to see who takes over as the best Russian. I have a feeling that Nastya will be Russian #1 for 2003.
Next year, I want Lena to have a chance to take over.
And once Lena is Russian #1, she can go for top 5.

the cat
Nov 2nd, 2003, 02:47 AM
GL, I don't think Maria is playing as well now as she was in the summer. But she's still winning most of her matches and that's the most important thing.

Ally, Nick has coached both Maria and lena. Wouldn't Nick hav ean idea what Lena was feeling when she played Maria at Wimbledon?

And Ally Cat, I don't assume Maria is far better than Lena at this time. If they both played their best tennis at this stage of their careers I think Lena would win. She's a grown woman while Maria is a growing girl. And Lena has more impressive big wins than Maria does. But Maria is 5 years younger than Lena and she's closing in on Lena in the WTA rankings. :)

ally baker
Nov 2nd, 2003, 03:23 AM
Ally, Nick has coached both Maria and lena. Wouldn't Nick hav ean idea what Lena was feeling when she played Maria at Wimbledon?

1) Lena is an entirely different person from when he worked with her in the 90s. She's grown up a lot.

2) Nick has to say good things about Maria. He's trying to sell her too.

goldenlox
Nov 2nd, 2003, 03:26 AM
Did Lena get star treatment at Nick's academy?
Was she a top 12-14 year old?

the cat
Nov 2nd, 2003, 03:57 AM
Good points, Ally.

GL, Lena was a top prospect at Bollettieri's in 1998. But I don't know if she got the star treatment. By the way GL, what is the star treatment? The way IMG and Bollettieri's treated Anna Kournikova like a Queen?

goldenlox
Nov 2nd, 2003, 02:47 PM
I mean did Lena go to Nick's camp as a highly touted young star, or was she just one of a group of good juniors.
I wonder because she has a tremendous game, when she's on. I'm just interested to know if she was showing that talent as a tall 14 year old.

ally baker
Nov 2nd, 2003, 03:04 PM
When Lena was to Nick's camp, they thought she was a big star... since they wanted to throw her in US Challengers right away.

As far as before that... I really don't know. But, Lena was playing in tournaments when she was 12, 13... She won a few doubles titles with Lina.

goldenlox
Nov 2nd, 2003, 03:19 PM
I probably asked a stupid question. Someone as talented as Lena must have shown it at a younger age.
Lena was all over the place. Morocco, Florida. A long and winding road.

ally baker
Nov 2nd, 2003, 03:21 PM
No, it's not a stupid question...

There's little information on where the Russian girls started. I wonder how Lena was when she was a little girl, also.

goldenlox
Nov 2nd, 2003, 03:56 PM
Lena needs an E! True Hollywood Story. Or VH-1 Driven. So I know more about her childhood. And her sister, and her parents.

ally baker
Nov 2nd, 2003, 04:03 PM
That would be interesting...

Her dad played in the Olympics.

Her sister has worked as a model.

Lena's fun.

I'd watch it.

goldenlox
Nov 2nd, 2003, 04:29 PM
It seems like all of the Russian players are from sports families.
It was so hard to get court time around 1990 in Russia that parents had to want their daughter to play tennis. I know that's true of Sveta, Nadya, and Anna. Of course, Dinara too.

the cat
Nov 2nd, 2003, 05:11 PM
You have a good memeory, Ally. Nick Bollettieri did have Lena play some U.S. challenger tournaments in 1998 because he thought she was ready for them.