PDA

View Full Version : Jade Curtis

tim4
Oct 25th, 2003, 09:52 PM
I went along to Taunton today (less than half an hour's drive from home for me!) and saw the finals of the LTA British Tour.
Jade Curtis had obviously had a good run through the tournament, arriving in the final without too much difficulty, having even beaten the tournament's top seed yesterday.
She didn't really play her best today though, maybe a bit nervous in her first final, but there were some good rallies and she showed us what she is capable of. Surina De Beer (RSA) was just too consistent, too good, and indeed a deserved winner.
I knew Jade was a junior, as she is listed as tenth highest Brit in the ITF jnr rankings in the latest edition of ACE magazine.
But I have since discovered that she is only 13 years old, born on 2 May 1990. This is quite amazing, let's hope that in the coming years she continues to develop.
She comes from Cornwall, so I guess Taunton is probably her closest tournament to home!

Monica_Rules
Oct 26th, 2003, 01:43 PM
How does Jade play?

tim4
Oct 26th, 2003, 08:21 PM
She plays mostly from the baseline, I seem to remember, but you can see her thinking her way through the points, trying to mix it up a little bit and trying to work out how to wrong-foot her opponent, all quite impressive for one so young. She also allows herself to get pumped up, which shows something of her will to succeed - on a few occasions she was heatedly talking to herself after key points but the only thing I could make out clearly on one occasion was that she told herself she was making too many 'wrong decisions'.