PDA

View Full Version : Lena doing nothing this week.

ally baker
Oct 25th, 2003, 02:18 AM
Yep.

snoop
Oct 25th, 2003, 02:28 AM
:bounce: :yippee: :bounce: Defend your title Lena :bounce: :yippee: :bounce:

anyone has a pic of Lena with the trophy from last year :confused:

ally baker
Oct 25th, 2003, 02:29 AM
There wasn't any pics of her with the trophy at the Quebec site last year... :(

Just some with her doing interviews.

goldenlox
Oct 25th, 2003, 02:33 AM
Bon chance, Lena!!
#1 seed will be a great experience.
Udachi Lena!!

ally baker
Oct 25th, 2003, 02:37 AM
Lena, please win this title, sweetie. :)

I miss those 2 magical weeks last year when you were Queen. :hug:

goldenlox
Oct 25th, 2003, 02:40 AM
It looks like Lena - Masha will happen afterall. That could be the future of Russian tennis.

ally baker
Oct 25th, 2003, 02:44 AM
Lena-Masha could be a possible SF... since Mary would be the #2 seed.

I'd rather Lena face the #4 seed in the SF. :)

goldenlox
Oct 25th, 2003, 02:48 AM
I didn't know Mary was playing. She's playing well now.
In this tournament Lena has to win matches like Cervanova.
The last few weeks, Lena hasn't been a huge, huge prematch favorite.
I hope Lena is focused every match. I won't start looking ahead again.

ally baker
Oct 25th, 2003, 02:49 AM
Lena better damn well be focused... because I won't hesitate to drive up there and whoop that ass if she ain't winning. :mad:

goldenlox
Oct 25th, 2003, 02:52 AM
I'm still laughing from GM
Okay, I'll be prepared for the worst. And hope for the best.
Udachi Lena!

snoop
Oct 25th, 2003, 06:32 PM
:shout: where is she? :scratch:

ally baker
Oct 25th, 2003, 06:44 PM
Oops... I jumped to conclusions.

Well, hopefully Lena plays Pattaya.

goldenlox
Oct 25th, 2003, 06:55 PM
The season's almost over. I hope it's not an injury.

ally baker
Oct 25th, 2003, 07:02 PM
I'm quite surprised she didn't play this week...

Lena only needs 1 first round win to finish in the Top 20 this year, most likely.

Plus, she should make sure she's a Top 24 seed for the Aussie... which will be quite important.

Oh well, I still hope she remains committed to Pattaya.

goldenlox
Oct 25th, 2003, 07:05 PM
I was just looking at the draw. Lena would have been in a great situation to defend a title. It would have been a fun week.
Now Maria gets a bye.

goldenlox
Oct 28th, 2003, 12:05 AM
I didn't realize 2386 pictures of Lena existed. So she must have posed photographs taken by a professional photographer.
Does IMG do anything for Lena? I mean endorsements or making her life easier.

ally baker
Oct 28th, 2003, 12:22 AM
Many of them are shots from the webcam at the slams.. :p

goldenlox
Oct 28th, 2003, 12:26 AM
I'm glad you told me that. A google image search doesn't yield much.

ally baker
Oct 28th, 2003, 12:27 AM
google image search sucks... you won't many pics of players there

goldenlox
Oct 28th, 2003, 12:41 AM
I thought this forum would get crowded with that link in GM.
Maybe huge smilies like in Hantuchova's forum would get people here.

the cat
Oct 28th, 2003, 12:54 AM
I hope you two don't mind someone else joining in this thread. :wavey: And I was preplexed at the title of this thread. That had me thinking Lena wasn't playing this week. Or perhaps that was Ally's way of using reverse psychology to get Lena to play well this week. ;)

I agree with GL about IMG nyet(not) doing enough for Lena. Especially considering how attractive she is. But isn't it really best for her career not to be promoted the same way IMG promoted Anna Kournikova and is currently promoting Maria Sharapova?

At this time I think the 3 Russina's with the biggest upside are Maria Sharapova, Nadia Petrova and Elena Bovina. Maria has alot potential and has had a good first year on the WTA Tour at 16. Nadia has one of the best serves in women's tennis. And Elena has a devastating ground game when she's on. She dispalyed that and nore in her memorable loss to Jennifer Capriati in New Haven. These 3 players aren't nearly as accomplished as the two best Russina's Elena Dementieva and Anastasia Myskina. But I've seen Dementieva and Myskina play the top women and they can't compete. But I think Sharapova, Petrova and Bovina all have the games to compete with the top women's tennis player. Do you agree?

goldenlox
Oct 28th, 2003, 01:04 AM
You know what we think of Lena's game.
I think the more marketing, the better. Anna had injuries. She was at her highest ranking when she fractured her ankle.
And she's dating a show business veteran. The last 60 years of Anna's life will be outside sports. Her parents, friends, boyfriends, all athletes.
Enrique will help her make the transition after sports that every athlete has to make.
I think Anna is very lucky to have Octagon.
I want IMG to help Lena.

the cat
Oct 28th, 2003, 01:36 AM
Help her how? With photo shoots? Lena is gorgeous, very articulate and is a natural at dealing with the media. I think Lena has a big upside off court as well as on court. But isn't it Lena's IMG agent who is responsible for marketing her?

By the way, I believe I've figured out that whiteplains is Ally Baker. They don't call me Inspector Cat-seau(Clouseau) for nothing! ;)

goldenlox
Oct 28th, 2003, 01:42 AM
Lena doesn't even have a shoe/clothing deal. IMG should be getting Lena at least that.
They should be making her life easier, giving her more off court opportunities to get paid.

the cat
Oct 28th, 2003, 01:52 AM
Isn't Lena with Nike? If not I would like her to be signed by Puma. I like Puma and I hate to see Nike dominate the sports market like they do. :(

ally baker
Oct 28th, 2003, 01:54 AM
I agree with GL about IMG nyet(not) doing enough for Lena. Especially considering how attractive she is. But isn't it really best for her career not to be promoted the same way IMG promoted Anna Kournikova and is currently promoting Maria Sharapova?

Why would that be bad? Lena would do well in that situation since she's very skilled socially.

However, I think due to the fact that Lena, her sister, and her father are quite rich... maybe they just don't jump at these opportunities. I'm really not sure. I think Lena's family makes many decisions for her.

But I've seen Dementieva and Myskina play the top women and they can't compete. But I think Sharapova, Petrova and Bovina all have the games to compete with the top women's tennis player. Do you agree?

When Bovina plays her best... she's better than all of them. Bovina at her best could be #1 in the world. But, consistency is the problem... and consistency is the name of the game in the rankings... and winning 7 matches in a Grand Slam. To this day, Lena has never been able to string more than 2 top-notch matches in a row.

ally baker
Oct 28th, 2003, 01:55 AM
By the way, I believe I've figured out that whiteplains is Ally Baker. They don't call me Inspector Cat-seau(Clouseau) for nothing!

I'm Leena... the most obsessed Bovina fan forever.

ally baker
Oct 28th, 2003, 01:56 AM
Isn't Lena with Nike? If not I would like her to be signed by Puma. I like Puma and I hate to see Nike dominate the sports market like they do. :(
No... I have no idea who Lena is with now. She wears Adidas shirts sometimes.

goldenlox
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:01 AM
You're not whiteplains?

the cat
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:05 AM
I can see why some of the girls resent Maria the way other players resent Anna. They both receive alot of media attention. Lena really should have a clothing deal. But I hope the lack of respect she's given in the tennis world creates a fire and desire for Lena that will drive her to succeed inspite of the naysayers.

AB, I would like to see Lena's best tennis against Maria's best tennis! :) That would be an amazing slugfest! :D But I'm sure you remember their 2003 Wimbledon second round match. Don't you? ;)

AB, I'm sorry about thinking you're WP. :o

goldenlox
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:17 AM
I wonder if they really resent Maria. Does Maria have an endorsement deal? I don't see her anywhere.
Anna was on the cover of Sports Illustrated when Hingis was #1.
I don't see Maria anywhere. Or getting big money for doing nothing.

ally baker
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:24 AM
Their Wimbledon match hardly counts.

I hate to make excuses... but Lena was coming back from mononucleosis at that time, and she only beat Obata because she horribly choked in the 3rd set. Lena only played the grass court season so she could play Fed Cup.

The Lena Bovina now, compared to then, is 2 different worlds.

goldenlox
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:27 AM
I think with the current top 5 Russians and Maria, you never know on a given day.
Nadya lost to Maria this summer. None of the Russians are consistent.
I believe Lena has the most game when she's on.

ally baker
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:31 AM
It will be interesting next year to see what happens with the Russians.

Lena set herself up with a good chance to reach the Top 10 next year with her indoor run this year... and she has 0 to defend from Tokyo-Montreal.

Alyona has basically nothing until Amelia Island... she could maybe hit Top 5.

Who knows what Maria will do?

It will be very fun indeed. A great time for the Russian fans.

the cat
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:34 AM
So, GL thought Ally Baker was whiteplains, too. ;)

Maria has had deals with Nike and Prince for years.

I hope Maria and Lena play this week in Quebec. That would be interesting. Lena would want revenge on Maria for Maria thrashing her at Wimbledon. :eek: And Maria just flew in from Luxembourg so she is probably tired. Advantage Lena. And Lena is the defending champion so she has alot of motivation to defend her title.

goldenlox
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:35 AM
If the women stay healthy, the next several years will be so much fun.
I can see 7 or 8 Russians in every round of 16, at the majors.

Lena's not playing Quebec.

the cat
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:37 AM
She's not? Oops! :o The why are all those pictures of her on their website? Isn't she the defending champion in Quebec?

ally baker
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:38 AM
Lena's not playing Quebec... she planned to before the indoor season... but she took a WC in Linz, which she didn't plan to play.

Lena's played a lot the past month... a week rest isn't a bad idea.

ally baker
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:38 AM
Yes... Lena was the defending champion.

I miss those days...

Her drubbing of Rodionova in the SF was classic. Anastassia won 1 point in the 2nd set. :p

the cat
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:39 AM
Thanks for the update.

goldenlox
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:42 AM
If Lena's healthy, there's no reason to not play. She would get a week off from Linz, get a bye, and the season ends next week.
I don't understand it.

ally baker
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:43 AM
Also, it may have not been beneficial to fly to Americas just for 1 week... especially, if she's planning to play Pattaya, also.

goldenlox
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:45 AM
I hope she plays next week.
Why not defend your title? The plane ride? Maybe IMG didn't want Lena in Quebec?

ally baker
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:49 AM
It is a 6+ hour time change... and it's difficult to adapt to those circumstances right away.

Yes, Quebec would have been a great chance to win a title... but if she's playing Pattaya... that would be 6 straight weeks of tennis... and Lena's not losing 1st round either.

I can understand taking the week off.

Now, if she's not playing Pattaya... then, I don't understand. I hope she's not injured.

goldenlox
Oct 28th, 2003, 02:52 AM
What do you think of IMG wanting Maria to win this? Any chance that makes sense?

the cat
Oct 28th, 2003, 03:05 AM
GL, you're really into the conspiracy theory about how IMG wants Maria to win Quebec and that's why Lena isn't playing. I suppose it's possible. But I don't think Lena would not play Quebec to help Maria's chances there. And I can't understand why Lena wouldn't want to defend her title. :confused: And her points for winning Quebec last year will come off and hurt her ranking. :(

ally baker
Oct 28th, 2003, 03:10 AM
Not really...

I mean, who really cares if Maria wins Quebec? She won Tokyo, and who really gives a shit that she did? Winning little tournies like this, I can't see helping her popularity much.

Cat, Quebec was played in September last year... so her points went off a while ago.

goldenlox
Oct 28th, 2003, 03:13 AM
I think IMG wants to sell Maria as this future great. Because she's 16.
So IMG wants Maria to win her last tournament of 2003.
They're planning heavy hype for next year.

ally baker
Oct 28th, 2003, 03:15 AM
The hype will only come from people watching her though... and winning Quebec won't change that a bit.

The effect comes from putting her on the show courts at US Open... when she doesn't deserve to be.

goldenlox
Oct 28th, 2003, 03:20 AM
I think Anna just came around at the right time. Women's tennis isn't as mainstream as it was. IMG sees the money Octagon creates for Anna.
But I don't see a tennis player getting that popular again.
I think IMG is trying hard though.

the cat
Oct 28th, 2003, 04:20 AM
GL and AB, I've really enjoyed this tonight. :D Thanks. I've tried to keep up with you 2 speedsters. But I've fallen behind. :( I'm tired and off to bed. And I'm still upset at the Yankees losing the World Series. :mad: But tonights rapid fire replies took my mind off the Yankees. Until now. :sad: Good night. :wavey:

goldenlox
Oct 31st, 2003, 04:05 AM
Who cares about the Yankees. And I'm no speedster.
And I'll bet you Anna has her most profile year yet in 2004.
Just go to the NY Post on-line gossip page. There's a huge picture of Anna. And it's there every day. She's on the Sun UK's on-line homepage also.
Octagon's going to make Anna another fortune next year.

ally baker
Oct 31st, 2003, 04:13 AM
Anna sucks.

goldenlox
Oct 31st, 2003, 04:17 AM
I want the Russians to dominate on the court and off. Anna makes it easier for people to accept Russian athletes as celebrities.
But IMG isn't helping Lena. And they should.

ally baker
Oct 31st, 2003, 04:19 AM
I disagree with that.

Anna isn't making it easier for these girls...

Every Russian is going to be compared to Anna, and they will never surpass her... even if they became #1 in the world.

goldenlox
Oct 31st, 2003, 04:23 AM
You might be right. I'm not sure how this is going to affect Russians with Madison Ave. and Hollywood.
But these guys at Octagon are geniuses. And they're working with a player who doesn't win matches anymore. Forget about winning tournaments.

But I know IMG is ignoring Lena to push Maria. No doubt about that.

the cat
Oct 31st, 2003, 04:30 AM
GL, it took you 2 days to reply to my post. :( But better late than never. :kiss:

Who cares about the Yankees? Who cares about the Yankees? Only millions of people. ;)

At your size GL you should be a speedster! :D

And GL, how much do you want to bet about Anna having her most prolific profile year next year? She's going to have to play some fine tennis and rebuild her lost credibilty as a tennis player. Anna get some attention from the media. But for what? For being Enrique Iglasias' girlfriend?

GL, I used too think that Anna's fame and fortune was good for the other Russina's. But over the years I've changed my mind to Ally's views on this. The only other Russina with bigtime marketing potential at this point is Maria Sharapova. And Maria was bred at Bollettieri's just like Anna was. Insteading of paving the way for her countrywomen into the endorsement world, Anna Kournikova has blocked the endorsement avenue for them by dominating the endorsement game all by herself.

goldenlox
Oct 31st, 2003, 04:35 AM
That's Octagon's strategy. Make Anna the Marilyn Monroe of sports.
But women's pro sports in general is in trouble. That's going to hurt Maria.
Look how Jim Rome used Chris Evert to insult a mediocre male athlete.
Chris Evert is a joke to non-tennis fans.
Marketing Anna off her looks is good business.

ally baker
Oct 31st, 2003, 04:42 AM
Such conversation in Lena's forum... if she's reading this, she's probably giggling.

All I know... is that I feel bad for Maria. Yes, she'll have all the money she'll ever need... but whatever she does in tennis, and whatever success she'll have... she's just going to be the "2nd Anna".

goldenlox
Oct 31st, 2003, 04:46 AM
Don't athletes have to block this stuff out?
In men's sports, players get ripped to shreds on sportsradio and in the papers.
You have to focus on tennis. And if you do a photoshoot, it's over. And back to tennis.
I got to go to bed.

ally baker
Oct 31st, 2003, 04:50 AM
We'll see if Maria can block it out...

But some say she's already getting a big head... and nobody outside of tennis has a clue who Maria is. I just hope her mind stays where it should be.

the cat
Nov 1st, 2003, 12:43 AM
Well said Ally. Maria will be fine as long as she doesn't believe the hype.

GL, I bet you listen to Sports Radio WFAN in New York. That is a radio station that focuses on being negative towards athletes.

And GL, I'm surprised you know about the Jim Rome, Jim Everett and Chris Evert controversy from a long time ago. That has to be over 10 years ago now. You have some Memorex memory. ;)

goldenlox
Nov 2nd, 2003, 03:48 AM
I think Maria already believes the hype. I saw W magazine. Maria was like page 300 or something. Might as well not be in it. Who's going to see it?
And Maria said she has no doubt she'll beat Serena. But in two slams, Maria has been bounced by Sveta and Loit.
So Maria should shut up about Serena. Or anyone else.

ally baker
Nov 2nd, 2003, 03:59 AM
Maria really said that?

My... that's really stupid.

goldenlox
Nov 2nd, 2003, 04:02 AM
Everyone around Maria are enablers. They encourage the nonsense she spews. But Maria's young.
People in GM still bring up Anna quotes from 10 years ago.

the cat
Nov 2nd, 2003, 04:02 AM
I read that, too. It's good that Maria has alot of self confidence. I think she means that she will be able to beat Serena Williams someday.

Maria is not going to shut up, GL. She does things her way. And she says what she wants.

And no matter where Maria was in W magazine, she was in W magazine. And she's not even a top tennis player yet. So she knows how to market herslf just like Anna Kournikova did at 16. Only Maria has more class than Anna. :)

goldenlox
Nov 2nd, 2003, 04:07 AM
There's a big difference between being on the cover of Sports Illustrated and being one of thousands in an issue of W.
IMG doesn't know how to do it. We all could see that from Hantuchova.
And again this year, Mike Francesca at the U.S. Open had no idea who Maria is.
And he doesn't care. No one outside tennis junkies care.

ally baker
Nov 2nd, 2003, 04:10 AM
It's one thing to be confident... but entirely another to say you have no doubt you can beat Serena.

To me, that shows a very arrogant attitude, and an unrealistic one. She's showing an attitude like she's better than the game already... while she hasn't done a damn thing. I hope she changes that.

goldenlox
Nov 2nd, 2003, 04:16 AM
Maria's 16. And everyone around her views her as a cash machine.
She's obviously talented.
But Anna's a huge celebrity. Anna is the star in Pattaya, on all the billboards. And she's not even playing in the tournament.

the cat
Nov 2nd, 2003, 05:05 AM
GL, I heard that radio interview on WFAN that Mike Francesca and Chris Russo did with Bud Collins on the first day of the 2003 U.S. Open. Trust me when I say Mike Francesca knows nothing about tennis and tennis players. So I'm not surprised he didn't know who Maria Sharapova is.

Ally, most top tennis player have a certain confidence or arrogance about themselves. And Maria is one of those players. But I believe Masha's sensibilities will come through as she matures and she won't sound so arrogant in the future. Maria just needs to let her tennis racquet do the talking for her. :D

goldenlox
Dec 23rd, 2003, 03:16 AM
I saw that interview Bud Collins did on Yes Network. I forgot to mention the best part. At the end, Bud couldn't remember Robert Lansdorp's name. He's going "um, um". Looking like a nursing home patient.
And Francesa had this look of disgust on his face. He couldn't care less who coaches Maria. And he wanted to break for a commercial.
And they went to break with Bud still stammering. Trying to remember Lansdorp's name. Very funny stuff.