PDA

View Full Version : World Championships wild cards?

DoctorG
Oct 24th, 2003, 07:53 PM
I've been wondering about giving a few wild cards for the World Championships singles and doubles. :cool:

The number of contestants would go up from 16 to 20 in the singles (4 groups of 5, top 2 advance to quarterfinals) and from 8 to 10 in the doubles (2 groups of 5, top 2 advance to semifinals). :)

I would use a strict system based on past achievements and rankings, so that we can avoid any kind of controversy. :angel:

What do you think about this idea?

spencercarlos
Oct 24th, 2003, 08:01 PM
what`s this doc? i dunno what WOrld CHampionships is done? or is just to do predictions for the last event of the year?

DoctorG
Oct 24th, 2003, 08:23 PM
It's an event for the off-season, a sort of exhibition which will be played in December and doesn't give any ranking point. Card values will be decided according to the average performance of the tennis players in the 2003 season throughout the 8 legs. Everything will be organized and described in detail after the season is over, including definitive format and team changes. :)

Last year's World Championships:
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=41949

You're quite sure to qualify. ;)

Josh
Oct 24th, 2003, 11:31 PM
If last year bronze medal winner would benefit of this then I'm all for it. :lol:

;)

RayRob
Oct 25th, 2003, 10:15 AM
I'm all for it - and not just because it would benitfit me in doubles ;) ......ok, to be fair I am for the changes because it gives those people (like myself) who are just outside the catchment area for qualification, a chance to take part in the final event of the year.

Go on Doc, give it a go! :D
:wavey: Rachel

DoctorG
Oct 25th, 2003, 10:26 AM
If last year bronze medal winner would benefit of this then I'm all for it. :lol:

Don't spoil the surprise. :p

Wild cards lead 2-0. :cool:

DoctorG
Oct 27th, 2003, 09:21 AM
I had this idea considering that, at this stage, the three posters who won a medal last year would be out. A few leg winners are missing as well. Besides these ones, I would go by ranking. :)

rightous
Oct 27th, 2003, 02:34 PM
I think its a great idea, esp for us former No. 1's stuggling at present;)

DoctorG
Oct 28th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Win the last leg and you'll be there. :P