PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Australia's Nominees for the 2004 Athens Olympic Games

Postcard
Oct 23rd, 2003, 08:58 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/10/23/1066631567722.html

Dokic not to play for Australia at Olympics
By Linda Pearce
October 24, 2003

Will she? Won't she? Can she? The issue of Jelena Dokic's Australian intentions has been raised again this week, but whatever the context, this much is clear: Dokic will not be in the same team as Ian Thorpe and Jana Pittman at next year's Athens Olympics, and unless some way is found to circumvent the rules, she will not be in any team at all.

The Austrian news agency APA reported the following quotes from Linz overnight, where the resurgent Dokic is playing:

"It is easily possible that I become Australian again," Dokic said, saying that "I want to play at the Olympics, but they are still far away and my main aim is to find my top form again and return to the top 10."

The two issues might not even be related, and we should therefore deal with them separately.

1. Dokic still holds an Australian passport, despite choosing to represent Yugoslavia, now Serbia and Montenegro, since her final falling-out with local officials and the media early in 2001. She can therefore choose to play under the Australian flag again at any time, and Tennis Australia trotted out its customary line yesterday about doors remaining open.

2. Unfortunately for Dokic, although the choice was her own, the International Tennis Federation's eligibility case is closed. Players must make themselves available for Fed Cup in two of the years in the Olympic cycle, including one of 2003 or 2004. Dokic has not played at all. For anyone. And will not have another opportunity to do so this year.

"Under the current rules for selection, she doesn't qualify," said Tennis Australia's head of women's tennis, Janet Young, who submitted the six-member Australian squad to the International Olympic Committee, as required, in August.

The six are: Alicia Molik, Nicole Pratt, Evie Dominikovic, Christina Wheeler, Rennae Stubbs, Sam Stosur. WTA rankings and the Australian selectors will determine the final team of four. There will be no Dokic. She won't be playing. Mostly, simply, because she can't.

Gowza
Oct 23rd, 2003, 11:07 PM
it will be tough to pick a team out of these players. alicia is in for sure, and i have a feeling that nicole will get in with no problems and rennae is pretty much already there for the doubles but who else? dominikovic, wheeler or stosur. will they do it on talent? it's pretty hard to do it on results because they are inconsistent plus wheeler has been out with injury hasn't she?

when are the 4 picked? because if they are picked this year then it will be tough to make a decision because that 4th person really needs to be picked on current form when the olympics roll around.

azza
Oct 24th, 2003, 07:23 AM
No wheeler has bene playing overseas she just lost to Tara Synder 6-2 6-0 in the 2nd round of a 50k event :o

Veritas
Oct 24th, 2003, 09:17 AM
I love Rachel McQuillan! :worship:

I became a fan of hers after she posted some big results in 2001 (e.g. semis at Qatar and a 3rd round showing in Paris). She seems like a friendly type of player and I admire her for continuing to play at an age when most others would retire. I hope she continues to do well.

And who was that other blonde girl who lost to Kim Cljisters in the 3rd round of the AO in 2002? She's :hearts:

Good luck to: Rachel, Alicia, Evie, Nicole and Cindy.

Hayden
Oct 28th, 2003, 05:49 AM
And who was that other blonde girl who lost to Kim Cljisters in the 3rd round of the AO in 2002? She's :hearts:

Cindy Watson ;)

Hayden
Oct 28th, 2003, 05:51 AM
pffff @ Jelena not playing :sad: :explode:

ozfan44
Nov 4th, 2003, 08:27 AM
Casey Dellacqua should get picked

dubro
Nov 4th, 2003, 08:30 AM
no dokic?

no olympics "!" :fiery:

kell
Nov 6th, 2003, 12:47 AM
I would welome Jelena back with open arms if she decides to return, but her not being on the team will leave a space for a loyal Australian's dream to come true.

I'd only be happy with Jelena playing Olympics for us after she's paid her dues to Australia and played for us in Fed cup.

Randy H
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:00 AM
Molik, Pratt, and Stubbs ought to be sure choices for the squad, they are well above the rest of the girls right now. The 4th choice will be interesting, but I think Stosur may end up grabbing the position, though I'd like to see Evie get it but she's in rotten form :(

SpikeyAidanm
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:40 AM
>Molik
>Pratt
>Adamczak
>Stosur

Vicky88
Nov 6th, 2003, 06:16 AM
I agree with your choices Randy.

As for Dokic, have nothing against her, but it is obvious that if she was to represent Australia in the Olympics, she would see it as playing for herself rather than representing Australia. Until there is some change of attitude I would prefer to not even see the possibility of selecting her arise again. By change of attitude I mean making herself available for Fed Cup as do all the other faithfull Ozzies.

Molik, Pratt, and Stubbs ought to be sure choices for the squad, they are well above the rest of the girls right now. The 4th choice will be interesting, but I think Stosur may end up grabbing the position, though I'd like to see Evie get it but she's in rotten form :(

broncosven
Nov 6th, 2003, 06:55 AM
Molik and Pratt - singles

Stubbs and ?? - doubles

id say either evie or sammie

louloubelle
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:24 AM
I agree with your choices Randy.

As for Dokic, have nothing against her, but it is obvious that if she was to represent Australia in the Olympics, she would see it as playing for herself rather than representing Australia. Until there is some change of attitude I would prefer to not even see the possibility of selecting her arise again. By change of attitude I mean making herself available for Fed Cup as do all the other faithfull Ozzies.

Yes, Id be definitely looking for some regret from Dokic over her attitude during the Aus Open fiasco (yes, her dad loaded the gun and jelena fired the bullets - but still still was a willing participant) however knowing Tennis Aus they won't care and will gladly lay out the red carpet.

azza
Nov 10th, 2003, 07:51 AM
Molik
Pratt
Stosur
Wheeler
Adamczak

Mayb

Aussie_Kim
Nov 10th, 2003, 08:01 AM
As with the whole Jelena Dokic situation I don't think that she should ever play an Olympics for Australia again, unless she shows some commitment FIRST and plays fed cup or homan cup.

I think it is unfair to hand her such a great opportunity when other AUSSIE girls are working away and getting few rewards. We need to give the chances of experience, publicity etc. to the girls who stick by the country.

Most of all I don't see how she can play at the Olympics, for Australia, when she obviously has no passion for our country. You really need to believe in what your playing for and at the momment I don't think Jelena loves Australia enough to do this.