PDA

View Full Version : Another dark day for Russian tennis?

ys
Feb 8th, 2002, 06:50 PM
Looks like that so far.. Can Yevgeny save the day?

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 8th, 2002, 06:57 PM
He better, damn Davis cup site no longer has scores :( or mostly connection refused

Zhenya was a set up

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 8th, 2002, 07:00 PM
OMG

Zhenya now 2 sets to 1 down

12:30Yevgeny Kafelnikov Vs Michel Kratochvil 6-3 4-6 1-6 0-0

what a disasterous decision to play on clay :mad:

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 8th, 2002, 07:21 PM
2 sets all

Zhenya won 4h on a TB

we need this bad

ys
Feb 8th, 2002, 07:33 PM
What happened to www.daviscup.org? What a load of crap it became?

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 8th, 2002, 07:41 PM
new sponsors :(

NEC did a great job, plus as they were electrical stuff they put up live scoreboards and radio links to some matches

its useless

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 8th, 2002, 07:49 PM
Zhenya won 6-2 in 5th :)

ys
Feb 8th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Well, when it went into the fifth I was quite sure he'd win. During
last 5 or 6 years he lost only 2 fivesetters, and both to the same player whose name starts with 'K'. But it is not Kratchvil..:)

I can't wait for fresh2flash and Nina's witness reports and impressions.

We still seem to be OK. Yevgeny can still do it alone. We need to win doubles though.

ys
Feb 8th, 2002, 08:34 PM
What we need to understand though, is what the !@#$ is going on with our Y2K heroes - Safin and Dementieva. They were the mentally toughest players on Tour in 2000. They are probably the weakest now.

Safin loses second match in a row with a lame excuse of "it wasn't my day". And that playing on his favourite clay against Roger playing on his least favourite surface. It seems to me that he is just unable to make an effort. He seems convinced that for a player of his stature and talent making an effort to win is humiliating, that he should be winning everything efortlessly, and if he can't, he is too proud to sweat. I start to link it to Mats Wilander. Marat never had that kind of attitude before. Marat, call Gilbert or Chesnokov, please..

Time of never-say-die Soviet players seem to go. Time of legendary Chesnokov's fights, who'd rather die on court than lose. Yevgeny is still capable of pulling it off sometimes. But Marat is not prepared to die on court for his country. He is rich, young, has a great life, packs of blondes, and it can always be not his day.

It is more difficult with Dementieva. It seems to me that her last injury made the same effect on her as that infamous thumb injury of Anna. Before that both looked fearless fighters, feared by most of other players, very ambitious, considering themselves contenders for very Top, and considered by everyone else as such, fighting to the end and extremely strong in tough matches.
After injuries it is no longer seems to be there. They look satisfied with what they are, their Champion's spirit seems to be broken. They still can take a set of practically any player, but they don't seem to be capable of winning any more. I can just feel the change in Elena's attitude. I don't believe it can't be fixed. I think, both are in dire need of professional motivator - not a sport psychologist, not a conventional coach but a combination of two.
One who would have a right to say "Do it like I used to do. Figth like I used to fight". Steffi. Or Martina. Or Olga.

bubble
Feb 8th, 2002, 09:41 PM
I am very curious on what the Russian press would have to say about Marat's suicidal performance. :fiery: This is not the 1st time that he let the team down. What is it with him always choking in Moscow, his hometown of all places?

Now it's again up to Yevgeny. I feel sorry for Yevgeny, always having to bear the burden since he started playing for Russia. Good thing he is strong enough to withstand the pressure at home. The doubles will be so crucial....

& Dementieva.... sigh....

the cat
Feb 10th, 2002, 12:55 AM
Bubble, because Moscow is his hometown, he struggles. So do Kournikova and Dementieva. Kafelnikov is from Sochi, far away from Moscow. So mabe the "Y" man doesn't feel the great pressure that the Muscovites do.

By the way, Safin/Kafelnikov won the doubles in 4 sets. So Russia leads 2 matches to 1. Udachi RF(Russian Federation)!

Who was that kissing Kafelnikov?

And good luck to Russia in the Winter Olympics. Especially Anton and Elena in Pairs figure skating. I hope the Russian dynasty continues in Pairs. Russia/Soviet Union has won an amazing 10 straight Olympic gold medals in pairs. They have had a dynasty in Ice Dance as well. And now they are building a dynasty in the Men's competition.

Nina_rus
Feb 10th, 2002, 12:17 PM
That guy travels everywhere with him. Zhenya was asked who he was but he just said it was a friend and he didn't want to say anything else about him.

bubble
Feb 10th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Yeah, Cat. I thought so too.
That's 2 sides of playing at home, it's either the pressure forcing the players to underperform or makes them perform 110%.

I hope Irina Slutskaya can stop playing the role of bridesmaid this time and win the gold medal.

I think this year may be Yevgeny's dark year. Disasterous AO and he just lost lamely to Federer at DC and his draw next week as defending champion at Open 13 is horrible.
Playing giantkiller Max in the 1st rd? Pfffffff!

Please prove me wrong, Zhenya!