PDA

View Full Version : Americans Enter Advanta Championships

tennisIlove09
Oct 21st, 2003, 09:29 PM
Americans Enter Advanta Championships

Photo By Cynthia Lum By Tennis Week
10/21/2003

An American presence will arrive at the Advanta Championships providing Philadelphia fans with a preview of the U.S. Fed Cup team.

Three members of the the U.S. Fed Cup team that will face Belgium in next month's semifinals — Meghann Shaughnessy, Martina Navratilova and Lisa Raymond — as well as Chanda Rubin and Ashley Harkleroad have all entered the Advanta Championships, set for October 27th-November 2nd at the Pavilion at Villanova University.

The 10th-ranked Rubin, 20th-ranked Shaughnessy and Harkleroad will compete in the singles draw. Navratilova will play doubles with local favorite Raymond of Wayne, Pennsylvania. Raymond, ranked fifth in the world in doubles, and Navratilova, who is sixth in the WTA Tour doubles rankings, are expected to form the U.S. doubles team for the Fed Cup semifinals, which will be held in Moscow.

The Advanta Championships, which lost a pair of Grand Slam champions with the withdrawals of Serena Williams and Lindsay Davenport due to injury, is promoting Venus Williams as one of the tournament's top draws. However, Venus, who has been hampered by a strained abdominal injury, has not played a match since falling to Serena in the Wimbledon final on July 5th.

In addition to $585,000 in prize money, the Advanta Championships will be the final opportunity for players to qualify for the season-ending tour championships in Los Angeles the following week.

The 2003 Advanta Championships begin on Monday, October 27th, with the first round of main draw competition. The finals are set for Sunday, November 2nd. Box seat ticket packages are $225-$2,000. Individual session tickets range from $10 to $60. To purchase tickets, please call 866-TENNIS-5 or visit the Advanta Championships website. Tickets are also available through Telecharge at (800) 233-3123.

joao
Oct 22nd, 2003, 12:26 AM
GO VENUS!!!!!!!!!!

harloo
Oct 22nd, 2003, 12:31 AM
I just have a strange feeling that Venus is not gonna play. :sad:

WtaTour4Ever
Oct 22nd, 2003, 01:04 AM
I really hope that she does.......I miss my girls, shit I miss all the players! Damn tennis channel really f*cked us over.

bandabou
Oct 22nd, 2003, 01:16 AM
Damn tennis channel really f*cked us over.

:rolls: :haha: :smash:

ptkten
Oct 22nd, 2003, 03:09 AM
I'll be going to the semis so at least I'll get to see some of the tennis :)

Hopefully Venus will play!

Volcana
Oct 22nd, 2003, 03:18 AM
I just have a strange feeling that Venus is not gonna play. :sad:

The truly cynical would suggest that a) Venus isn't going to play, and b) Advanta already knows that, but c) both sides have agreed to not say anything til the last minute, so Advanta can keep using her in its advertising, given that they need every draw they have, given the absence of Serena and Lindsay. Even if its only useful in advance ticket sales. Score another one for the Holy Thieves, otherwise known as e Chopin's Funeral March .. three .. two ... one .. Go!) ...dum dum dee dum dum deed um dee dum dee dummmmm... TICKETMASTER!!!!! (run away run away run away)
But I digress.

The truly cynical would suggest that Americans won't turn out to watch players from other countries. Or even watch them on TV. Some about .. ratings for US Open final ... historical wurst ... what is that, very old meat? These people make no sense. But then, they are VERY, very cynical. Possibly even jaded.
But I digress.

The truly cynical feel that virtually every good player (but their particular fave, natch) is venal, no, near EVIL people, shallow, petty, and totally without honor or honesty. Well, if they player is a REALLY nice person, who give kidneys to dying children, they'll cut her alittle slack, but that's about it. For the rest, they lie, they cheat, (they PROBABLY steal, we just can't prove it yet) they use steroids, they slept with their main rivals boyfriend, it just goes on and on. 90% of it is patently absurd, and you can't believe anyone would make a fool of themself by writing such a thing. But its not just the player. It's the player, their fans, their coach, and brothers and sisters and parents and and all their kith and kin to the seventh generation!
But I digress.

Simply put, I am NOT among the truly cynical, and I would NEVER, EVER suggest that player and a tournament would conspire together inthat way. It's ... unseemly. Besides, Venus is going to play. But if she pulls out late, its only because she's hoping up to the last minute that she'll be healthy enough to play. But her focus has GOT to be winning OZ. She has to be healthy and in tune for that. The rest of this is gravy. Certainly there's absolutely NO chance of collusion twixt tournament and player to extract the last bottom dollar from the cash-strapped tennis buying public. Who could even SUGGEST such thing? I for one, am offended.
But I digress.

tennisIlove09
Oct 22nd, 2003, 06:52 AM
I truly hope Venus plays. 5 days left to withdraw.

anton
Oct 22nd, 2003, 07:30 AM
I really hope that she does.......I miss my girls, shit I miss all the players! Damn tennis channel really f*cked us over.

TTC shows to many repeat ATP matches.
At least they could show some WTA.

Another channel with men in charge... :rolleyes:

Paneru
Oct 22nd, 2003, 12:01 PM
I(being an optimist at heart) believe Venus will be playing in Philly and in LA. I think that this article as well as others are reluctant to state Venus will be there because she was entered in other tournaments that she pulled out of mid-week or later in the last onth or so.

Venus has been on the practice courts and been out at events and seems to be returning to some normalcy after all that has happened in the last couple of months, what ever "normal" may be for her at this time.

azza
Oct 22nd, 2003, 12:06 PM
I want the tennis channel :(

azza
Oct 22nd, 2003, 12:06 PM
is it good?

xr6turbo
Oct 22nd, 2003, 12:08 PM
Apparantly not!!