PDA

View Full Version : Henin succeeds where Hingis failed in power game

Knizzle
Oct 21st, 2003, 06:45 PM
By Robert Woodward

PARIS, Oct 21 (Reuters) - Twelve months ago Martina Hingis played the final match of a career that earned her five grand slam titles and the number one tag for three years. She was 22.

Last weekend Justine Henin-Hardenne reached number one after winning the French Open and the U.S. Open. She is 21.

Both women are slight but whereas Hingis, plagued by an ankle injury, appeared to give up in the face of a new army of power-hitters, Henin-Hardenne has adapted her game, her body and her mind to the challenge.

After finding tennis oh-so-easy in 1997 and 1998, Hingis was blown off course and increasingly off the court by Venus Williams. The Swiss won her last grand slam in Australia in early 1999 and when Serena "arrived" at the end of 2001, Hingis suddenly became an anachronism in women's tennis.

Her clever, chess-like approach could not withstand the Williams sisters' cudgelling from both sides of the court and, as her legs gave her increasing problems, she was unable to change her game to arrest the decline.

At Wimbledon in 2001, Hingis lost in the first round for the second time in three years. Venus Williams, the defending champion, charged into the final where she met Henin-Hardenne, very much a surprise finalist.

PHYSICAL DISPARITY

No one could miss the obvious physical disparity between the two women and Henin-Hardenne, after recovering from losing the first set 6-1 to win the second, ran out of strength in the third to go down 6-0.

Unlike Hingis, the Belgian decided that if you can't beat them, you should try and join them. Over the past two years she has made herself more able to slug it out from the baseline for long periods and in the build-up to this season she worked in Florida with Pete Sampras's former trainer Pat Etcheberry.

This season she has been a revelation, physically at her peak as she showed at Roland Garros by defeating Serena Williams in the semi-final and fellow Belgian Kim Clijsters in the final.

Serena took her revenge in the Wimbledon semis before beating her sister in the final. With both Williamses absent through injury at Flushing Meadows, Henin-Hardenne won the title by beating Clijsters in the final again.

"I'm not afraid anymore about the power of the other players because I'm powerful too. I think that everybody knows it right now," she said.

Whereas there were always question marks over Hingis's mental strength after her tantrums at the French Open and Wimbledon in 1999, Henin-Hardenne's has never been in doubt.

No stranger to personal difficulties and tragedy as a child, she has the look of a warrior and never gives up, an aspect of her personality which seems to spook Clijsters in particular.

SPORTING FEAT

Henin-Hardenne's recovery to win the U.S. Open final, after being put on a drip after her exhausting semi-final defeat of Jennifer Capriati, was one of the feats of the sporting year.

The Belgian is also strengthened by the support and advice she gets from the small entourage of her husband Pierre-Yves and her coach Carlos Rodriguez.

With hindsight, Hingis's confidence never recovered from her split in 1999 with her mother and coach Melanie Molitor following her defeat in the French Open final by Steffi Graf.

They patched up their differences but she never won another major title.

While Henin-Hardenne basks in being number one, she will be rated the best player in the world only when she beats Venus and particularly Serena on a regular basis.

Neither of the sisters has been seen on the tour since the Wimbledon final -- Venus hurt her stomach during the tournament and Serena had a knee operation in August. In addition they are mourning their elder sister who was shot dead last month.

Clijsters, number one before Henin-Hardenne, believes Serena remains the best player around and says both sisters are missed.

"They've had a huge influence on how the game has changed. They made it more athletic and powerful and forced all of us to get better. I hope we see them back soon," Clijsters said.

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 06:48 PM
DANG! The sisters are indeed THE standard....no article can go by, without saying that to be no.1 you have to beat a Williams...

Tennis_IS_Fun
Oct 21st, 2003, 06:52 PM
While Henin-Hardenne basks in being number one, she will be rated the best player in the world only when she beats Venus and particularly Serena on a regular basis.

oh yes, the European players are never the real #1 in the world,
no, Martina isnt coz she can beat the Williams now,
Kim isnt coz she sucks, and Justine isnt coz she's stupid,:rolleyes:
oh well, that's too bad, if you want to call the #3 player in the world
the best player in the world, that's fine with me,
coz the best player in the world isnt even ranked IMO:rolleyes:

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 06:59 PM

full of blah blah.....if thereīs another player who can beat the no.1 on three surfaces...that is the end of the story.

vogus
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:02 PM
There is one word that sums up the difference between Martina Hingis and Justine Henin.

That word is CHARACTER.

nygirl
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:09 PM
DANG! The sisters are indeed THE standard....no article can go by, without saying that to be no.1 you have to beat a Williams...

DANG! You're a dimwit!

Mercury Rising
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:14 PM
There is one word that sums up the difference between Martina Hingis and Justine Henin.

That word is CHARACTER.
I agree :D, Justine has great character :worship:

persond
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:14 PM
DANG! You're a dimwit!

Could this be a case of the "pot" calling the "kettle" black...??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

mandy7
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:16 PM
Justine doesn't even come close to Hingis....

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:35 PM
I think that Hingisīs style of play didnīt mesh well with bulking up...when she tried to bulk up she started to make more errors...Martina just wasnīt made to dictate...it was more a game of frustrating with style, spins...that time has passed imo.

Ryan
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:52 PM
Of course Henin succeeded in the power game where Hingis "failed". Martina never tried to be a power player, and when she tried to bulk up she only got slower, and made more unforced errors. After her injury in 2002, Hingis came back with a different racquet, one that gave her more power but less control, and it affected her play along with her lack of fitness.

I disagree with bandabou slightly. Hingis dictated, but not by clobbering her opponent. Hingis dictated by placing the ball perfectly, hitting innumerable spins and anticipating where the ball would go. That time has passed, which IMO is sad. I still love watching tennis, but I would rather watch Hingis play with her relatively "weak power" game.

caafje
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:53 PM
Justine isn't the new Martina, Justine is far better. Physicly AND technicly.

Ryan
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:55 PM
Justine isn't the new Martina, Justine is far better. Physicly AND technicly.

Justine hits harder. Justine serves better. The comparison ends there. People forget how good Hingis was when she was playing her best tennis.

tennisIlove09
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:55 PM
When Martina tried to add power, she said she felt too bulky and like she couldn't move. Hingis didn't want or try to become power.

The only area it REALLY hurt her was her serve.

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:59 PM
Justine hits harder. Justine serves better. The comparison ends there. People forget how good Hingis was when she was playing her best tennis.

Exactly....people are too quick to dismiss Martina H and annoint Justine as her equal. Justine is NOT her equal and isnīt better either! Justine still has ways to go.

Ballbuster
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:03 PM
Of course Henin succeeded in the power game where Hingis "failed". Martina never tried to be a power player, and when she tried to bulk up she only got slower, and made more unforced errors. After her injury in 2002, Hingis came back with a different racquet, one that gave her more power but less control, and it affected her play along with her lack of fitness.

I disagree with bandabou slightly. Hingis dictated, but not by clobbering her opponent. Hingis dictated by placing the ball perfectly, hitting innumerable spins and anticipating where the ball would go. That time has passed, which IMO is sad. I still love watching tennis, but I would rather watch Hingis play with her relatively "weak power" game.

Please, she was slow all the time. The game sped up and Serena took her game from her.

Ballbuster
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:05 PM

This is a Classic Hater's Post! Stop setting yourself out. You looking bad.

Ryan
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:08 PM
Please, she was slow all the time. The game sped up and Serena took her game from her.

Listen Ballbuster, Hingis was not always slow. Was she as fast as Serena? Hell no. But she had deadly anticipation, which helped her get to many many balls. Serena doesn't have a fraction of Hingis' net game, tough or guile.

Ryan
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:09 PM
This is a Classic Hater's Post! Stop setting yourself out. You looking bad.

Just like you posting false "facts" about Hingis? Have you ever even seen her play at her best?

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:11 PM
Listen Ballbuster, Hingis was not always slow. Was she as fast as Serena? Hell no. But she had deadly anticipation, which helped her get to many many balls. Serena doesn't have a fraction of Hingis' net game, tough or guile.

The touch and net-game I can give you....but Iīve seen Serena wrong-foot players almost at will too...

Ryan
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:14 PM
The touch and net-game I can give you....but Iīve seen Serena wrong-foot players almost at will too...

Oh, I have too. And I'm not saying Hingis is better then Serena, because thats a lie. I'm saying that Serena does NOT have Hingis' game. Wrong footing people is hardly something Hingis started, but she used it perfectly. Serena's wrong-footing is like Hingis', but relies more on power.

Ballbuster
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:14 PM
But she had.

Aren't those words Past tense?

Doesn't past tense = HAS BEEN!!!

Besides, Serena took her anticipation away from her. Martina used to just stand there and watch a winner zoom past her.

Please!

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:16 PM
Oh, I have too. And I'm not saying Hingis is better then Serena, because thats a lie. I'm saying that Serena does NOT have Hingis' game. Wrong footing people is hardly something Hingis started, but she used it perfectly. Serena's wrong-footing is like Hingis', but relies more on power.

Hey to each their own no....you fight with your weapons, no.

-Ph51-
The original french article says:Justine had the courage Martina didn't have.And also perseverance.(quote l'Equipe)

Ryan
Aren't those words Past tense?

Doesn't past tense = HAS BEEN!!!

Besides, Serena took her anticipation away from her. Martina used to just stand there and watch a winner zoom past her.

Please!

When did I say Hingis isn't a "has been", please find that quote. Yeah, Serena took Hingis' anticipation in the sense you mean, but Serena doesn't HAVE the anticipation Hingis does. Also, Serena isn't the topic here. But, I guess you can't contribute anything worthwhile to this thread since it isn't about gays, blacks, or the Williams.

Ballbuster
Just like you posting false "facts" about Hingis? Have you ever even seen her play at her best?

IF a statement is false then it cannot be a fact! :rolleyes: Yes, I seen her get whooped at her best.

Ryan
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:17 PM
Hey to each their own no....you fight with your weapons, no.

Definately. If I had Serena's power I'd use it too. I was just saying your comparison of Serena wrong-footing people relied more on power than guile, nothing besides that. ;)

Ryan
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:18 PM
IF a statement is false then it cannot be a fact! :rolleyes: Yes, I seen her get whooped at her best.

Hence the word fact in quotations. :rolleyes:

ally baker
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:19 PM
Blah, blah, blah...

The fact remains that Justine doesn't wear hideous 1-sleeved shirts. Justine wins. That is all.

Ballbuster
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:21 PM
Definately. If I had Serena's power I'd use it too. I ;)

Well, you don't and neither do your fave. Besides this is about Justine developing her game whereas Martina let hers fade, because she was too lazy to re-tool!

That's why we have whinny posters like yourself crying of being abruptly abandoned.

Kart
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:21 PM

That word is CHARACTER.

I think Justine has character too ...

GANGSTABACKHAND!
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:22 PM
I think Justine is a perfect example of what Hingis would be if she added more power to her game. She would defeat the lower ranked player routinely, but would lose to the top players routinely, simply because the other girls would be better at the power game than her. Justine is successful right now because she does not have the challange of facing "real" power players. Klijsters and Capriati are not "real" power players. If Hingis tried to play a power game she would've lost a lot of matches to lesser players.

Ballbuster
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:22 PM
I think Justine has character too ...

and who cares what YOU think?

Ryan
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:23 PM
Well, you don't and neither do your fave. Besides this is about Justine developing her game whereas Martina let hers fade, because she was too lazy to re-tool!

That's why we have whinny posters like yourself crying of being abruptly abandoned.

What!?!?! Your such an idiot it astounds me. You can't even accept a positive post I have about Serena, so you obviously have a problem with me, not Hingis.

A) I am not whinning, or whining for that matter.

B) Abandoned? No. I still love to watch tennis.

C) My job here is to counter-act the forces of stupidity embodied by one like yourself.

Crazy Canuck
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:25 PM
DANG! You're a dimwit!
LMAO *applauds*

Ryan
and who cares what YOU think?

If you actually read Kart's posts, you would realise she is intelligent and says nothing negative about anyone. So to answer your question, people with intelligence and some form of a brain care what she thinks.

bandabou
I think Justine is a perfect example of what Hingis would be if she added more power to her game. She would defeat the lower ranked player routinely, but would lose to the top players routinely, simply because the other girls would be better at the power game than her. Justine is successful right now because she does not have the challange of facing "real" power players. Klijsters and Capriati are not "real" power players. If Hingis tried to play a power game she would've lost a lot of matches to lesser players.

And this is what some Juju-fans donīt get. It ainīt without reason that all Juju wins against the sisters are on clay: clay dulls their power.... but when put on faster surface, they eat Juju for lunch. Right now I think the sisters are the only really good power-players left.

Crazy Canuck
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:26 PM
C) My job here is to counter-act the forces of stupidity embodied by one like yourself.

Your efforts are very much appreciated, so long as you know that it's futile :sad: :worship:

Crazy Canuck
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:27 PM
And this is what some Juju-fans donīt get. It ainīt without reason that all Juju wins against the sisters are on clay: clay dulls their power.... but when put on faster surface, they eat Juju for lunch. Right now I think the sisters are the only really good power-players left.
According to you, the "sisters" are the only people playing the game. That's why your opinion means shit ;)

Ballbuster
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:29 PM
If you actually read Kart's posts, you would realise she is intelligent and says nothing negative about anyone. So to answer your question, people with intelligence and some form of a brain care what she thinks.

You Stay out of it. This was an Adult Conversation!

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:31 PM
According to you, the "sisters" are the only people playing the game. That's why your opinion means shit ;)

Too bad then,no?! But of course for you anybody who beats Justine is evil too, so.......

Ballbuster
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:33 PM

You don't mean shit to a William Fan. Actually, you do. Whenever we see your name the smell of shit emits.

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:35 PM
You don't mean shit to a William Fan. Actually, you do. Whenever we see your name the smell of shit emits.

DANG! :nerner:

ally baker
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:36 PM
Bovina d. Venus 3-6 6-4 7-5.

I haven't mentioned that in a while.

Knizzle
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:37 PM

LOL!! I wonder what that was like for Bovina, defeating her idol. Did you see this match?? Were they really competing hard against each other or were they trying to make the match long because it was an exhibition??

ally baker
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:40 PM
LOL!! I wonder what that was like for Bovina, defeating her idol. Did you see this match?? Were they really competing hard against each other or were they trying to make the match long because it was an exhibition??
Venus is Bovina's favorite player... although I wish Lena would stop trying to play like her. :sad:

Yes, I have the match on tape... both players played very hard... especially, Bovina... Lena was pumped as always.

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:40 PM
Were they really competing hard against each other or were they trying to make the match long because it was an exhibition??

You HAD to say that,no?! Should have left everybody thinking that the match really mattered!! :tape: :lol:

Knizzle
Oct 21st, 2003, 09:00 PM
Venus is Bovina's favorite player... although I wish Lena would stop trying to play like her. :sad:

Yes, I have the match on tape... both players played very hard... especially, Bovina... Lena was pumped as always.

I'd say Venus is a pretty good player to emulate if you are going to emulate someone.

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 09:01 PM
I'd say Venus is a pretty good player to emulate if you are going to emulate someone.

Yep....specially for all those tall russians...they better emulate Venus than Lindsay.

Diya
Oct 21st, 2003, 09:16 PM
Fact : Hingis still has more slams and titles than Venus Williams who as we all know is a power player. :tape:

But yes i agree that Justine does have one thing that Martina lacked and that is the ability to adapt. IMHO Martina Hingis can still comeback and be the # 1 player in the world for atleast 5 years only if she is ready to adapt her game . Sometimes i wish Hingis wasn't so stubborn

Ballbuster
Oct 21st, 2003, 09:46 PM
IMHO Martina Hingis can still comeback and be the # 1 player in the world for atleast 5 years only if she is ready to adapt her game . Sometimes i wish Hingis wasn't so stubborn

Diya!

Your opinion around here is not one anybody seeks. another thing is your opinion is quite erroneous. Devoid of any degree of concentrated thought.

G_Slammed
Oct 21st, 2003, 09:51 PM
IMHO Martina Hingis can still comeback and be the # 1 player in the world for atleast 5 years only if she is ready to adapt her game .

I think she'd make a better ballkid than a contender for slams at this point. I think she'd adapt very well to fetchin' balls and funky sweaty towels for the Pros.

Ballbuster
Oct 21st, 2003, 10:04 PM
I think she'd make a better ballkid than a contender for slams at this point. I think she'd adapt very well to fetchin' balls and funky sweaty towels for the Pros.
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :lol: :rolls:

harloo
Oct 21st, 2003, 10:19 PM
I wish people would stop comparing Henin to Hingis. Henin cannot even touch Hingis in artistic ability. :rolleyes:

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 10:24 PM
I wish people would stop comparing Henin to Hingis. Henin cannot even touch Hingis in artistic ability. :rolleyes:

Exactly....the only artists come from Zwitzerland and Justine ainīt from Zwitzerland.

alexusjonesfan
Oct 21st, 2003, 10:32 PM

Have you read Tine's Taxonomy of bandabou's posts?

I believe this is a category 2 :)

btw...thanks for the article Knizzle

the part about 'her mental stregth never being in question' is clearly wrong. Her transformation is all the more miraculous considering her choke queen status in the past.

tennisIlove09
Oct 21st, 2003, 10:40 PM

OFFICIAL H2H between Venus and Elena
2 San Diego Aug 5 2001 V Williams(2) - E Bovina 6-1 6-2

Hmmm, oddly enough the Bovina "win" isn't showing up.

jenny161185
Oct 21st, 2003, 10:44 PM
TRhat match DID matter - It was USA V Europe and Venus lost she was simply outplayed- If Martina could improve improve her serve and approach net more - she would be number one today :) and Ryan I hear wht your trying to say!

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 10:50 PM

:rolls: :haha:

Ryan
Oct 21st, 2003, 10:58 PM
Thanks Jenny, and I got my point across very clear, and I think the smart people all understood it. (smart: not Ballbuster)

Grachka
Oct 21st, 2003, 10:59 PM
I do believe that Hingis could do very well in tennis if she came back today with the exactly the same game as before, but i don't think she would be in the same position she was. A decent serve would be a start, but I loved watching her play. She had a style of play similar to the Japanese girls, with guile, rather than swinging the racket and hitting the crap out of the ball. I love that.

P.S. There are a couple of extremely narrow minded people commenting in this thread, its pretty sad when you can't disagree with someone without insulting them. Classic sign of someone losing an argument badly.

sartrista7
Oct 21st, 2003, 11:30 PM
Diya!

Your opinion around here is not one anybody seeks. another thing is your opinion is quite erroneous. Devoid of any degree of concentrated thought.

:haha: Oh, the irony. Like anyone seeks your opinion on anything! Like I'm not sitting here laughing at your piss-weak posts! You're a very bitchy girl... but you can't touch half the posters in this thread :haha:

ally baker
Oct 21st, 2003, 11:36 PM
Yes, but as you know... Lena isn't Venus.

75% of Lena's swinging volleys hit frame. :sad:

ally baker
Oct 21st, 2003, 11:38 PM

Read Venus' comments after the match...

I may not be the biggest Williams' fan... but I do admit they have class, plus being pretty damn good players.

Their fans need to learn the class part.

Nobody's Perfecc
Oct 22nd, 2003, 01:51 AM
Speaking as a Williams fan(Serena fan, to be specific), I'm ashamed to be mentioned in the some group as some of the Williams fan in here.

spencercarlos
Oct 22nd, 2003, 02:49 AM
I agree :D, Justine has great character :worship:
Yeah a great Character and great Strenght to cheat like she did at the French Open. oh yeah yeah was only a serve etc etc still that marked the day i started to dislike her.

And in my opinion she has not yet been able to dominate tennis despite this two grand slams she won this year, in a year that has seen Monica Seles, Lindsay Davenport, Venus Williams and Serena Williams struggle at lot with injuries, and the tour surfering the abscense of Martina Hingis too.
Lets look at Rg for example and injured and way out of shape Venus Williams falls early and Henin just beats Serena 7-5 in the third set with all of the controversy (cheating from Henin) and boos from the crowd the whole match against Serena, tough to play tennis like that huh?... To then in the finals Kim makes sure of herself of playing some of her worst tennis to lose 6-0 6-4 and 7-5 6-1 in both Frenchoen and Usopen finals.

Yet this can`t be compared to Martina Hingis who is the only player to have beaten both Venus and Serena at the same Grand Slam event (Aussie Open 2001), and has won many many titles, and has been number one for a long time. It will just take time before Henin`s overrated ranking comes to the place it belongs... the time will take Serena and Venus to comeback.

If this does not happens and Henin starts to win against them consistently and at slam events so we can talk about "succeding in power game".

Knizzle
Oct 22nd, 2003, 04:19 AM
Yes, but as you know... Lena isn't Venus.

75% of Lena's swinging volleys hit frame. :sad:

Yeah, but she reminds me of Venus along with Sharapova who is kind of a mix between the sisters. Venus really doesn't use the swinging volleys nearly as much as she used to (circa 2000).

Rothes
Oct 22nd, 2003, 04:22 AM
Ballbuster, perhaps it is best to grow up and actually contribute something worthwhile to the thread, instead of nit-picking and dictating whos opinion not of your standard, to someone such as myself, It seems you can bring up nothing into your debate with Ryan, yet call him a child, It seems ironic if you ask me.

Henin + Hingis = Two well fabulous players ;)

ico4498
Oct 22nd, 2003, 04:34 AM
contrasting Martina and Justine is inevitable i guess ... but there's sooo much more dept to Henin its kinda unfair to Hingis.

success came early and easily for Tina ... i think she lacked Juju's focus and hunger. the idea of working through the sweat and pain for marginal rewards just wasn't in the "cerebral" one's plans.

tennisIlove09
Oct 22nd, 2003, 08:00 AM
Read Venus' comments after the match...

I may not be the biggest Williams' fan... but I do admit they have class, plus being pretty damn good players.

Their fans need to learn the class part.

It's not about having class. It's about knowing when a match means something and when it doesn't.

malaye
Oct 22nd, 2003, 08:55 AM
My job here is to counter-act the forces of stupidity embodied by one like yourself.

That is a very ambitious undertaking Ryan ;) I wish you the best of luck!

Rub
Oct 22nd, 2003, 09:08 AM
Both are brilliant players! :eek:

THE NET
Oct 22nd, 2003, 09:10 AM
Not to defend Martina Hingis as I am not her big fan, but the situation Hingis faced is totally different from what Justine faced.

Martina Hingis was the in "The prosperous era of hard-hitting players" while Justine is in the "The black era of hard-hitting players".

Anyway, Martina Hingis still has better percentage of winning VS The Williams sisters than Justine!! :rolleyes:

I don't see that Justine really succeeds in power game. ;)

azza
Oct 22nd, 2003, 09:20 AM
If Justines so fit then why does this 21 year old be put on a drip and get cramps when this 27 year old jennifer was not on a drip and di not get cramps not like jennifer didnt run her ass off to get the balls :confused:

azza
Oct 22nd, 2003, 09:21 AM
Btw im not bashing juju just questioning

malaye
Oct 22nd, 2003, 09:48 AM
If Justines so fit then why does this 21 year old be put on a drip and get cramps when this 27 year old jennifer was not on a drip and di not get cramps not like jennifer didnt run her ass off to get the balls :confused:

Because she had a foot injury a couple of years ago which in turn caused a lower back injury she is still suffering from. She automatically compensates the pain with her left leg, and after a long match, the “compensation” causes cramps, as she experienced against Lindsay at the A.O and Jen at the USO. Both matches lasted over 3 hours.
In other words, the cramping is not a result of bad conditioning. It’s a medical issue, that won’t go away until her back problem is solved. This is also why her coach wants her to go to the net more often

jcman
Oct 22nd, 2003, 09:49 AM
Hingis was so gd when she's at the top..
i think on one could compare with her...even the sisters(no offence)
just consider her amazing achievements in such a short career and most importantly...she's a very special girl..u got to love her