PDA

View Full Version : Arguing Schiavone-Bovina!!

S-T-E-V-E
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:05 PM
Did anyone see the match? At the handshake after the match, Schiavone scream to Bovina and complained about that Bovina a lot of times when Schiavone served she hold her hand up to say she isn't ready...this was the 2. time Bovina did it (1.time match against Capriati in Moscow)
What do you think about this?
I don't think Elena is a bad person but really this is unfair.

Yak
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:07 PM
When a player is playing too fast(JCAP or Frances) it is simply normal to put your hand up! Panova does it too and against Capriati, it works because it pisses her off.. Bovina has every fucking right to do this!

ally baker
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:08 PM
Lena does that quite often... she did this numerous times in Toronto.

I really doubt it is gamesmanship on Lena's part... maybe she's just not ready to return.

MarcusRock
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:08 PM
She should have shoved her at the net and the 2 of them could have fought. Women's tennis needs this kind of headline-grabbing stuff.

ally baker
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:09 PM
She should have shoved her at the net and the 2 of them could have fought. Women's tennis needs this kind of headline-grabbing stuff.
Wouldn't be much of a fight... Lena is a giant, you know. :p

DA FOREHAND
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:10 PM
It's the right thing to do against a player who plays too fast for you. Never let your opponent control the tempo of the match.

TM
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:11 PM
wow i'm surprised.

I saw Bovina this summer. She is very sweet. She interacts with her fans and she is funny too. Check out my pics of her on my Rogers AT&T Cup album on wtnphotos.com

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:11 PM
Lena complained about Schiavone's grunts too

one time she let ball go cos Schiavone's grunts sounded like she was saying "out"

Lena got Aced by Schiavone and she had her hand up, she wasn't ready but point counted.

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:12 PM
I guess I missed that part.....hahhaha, would have been fun. Seeing that Lena is almost twice as tall as Francesca....me thinks Cesca would have gotten mowed down.

Darop.

But francesca is a beast..:rolleyes:

tenn_ace
if Elena wasn't given a time warning, she was within 12-15 second allowed to returner to prepare... it's called reasonable pace.

ally baker
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:13 PM
wow i'm surprised.

I saw Bovina this summer. She is very sweet. She interacts with her fans and she is funny too. Check out my pics of her on my Rogers AT&T Cup album on wtnphotos.com
Did you see me there? :)

JackFrost
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:14 PM
O No. Not another "use of the hand = cheating" discussion... :o

TM
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:17 PM
But francesca is a beast..:rolleyes:

:haha: Andiamo Frannie! "HWWAAAH.....EEEE!!!"

Martian Willow
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:17 PM
Panova does it too and against Capriati, it works because it pisses her off..

...it didn't work...she still lost... :)

TM
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:18 PM
Did you see me there? :)

sure did. fo sure :)

bis2806
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:18 PM
hey francesca schiavone is cool!!!!!

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:20 PM
Talking about masculine.....anybody see how this girl walks around?! she letīs Martina N look feminine! DANG!

ally baker
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:20 PM
sure did. fo sure :)
I can't find Toronto pics there... can you provide a link?

If you saw me... I'm the girl with really long black hair, and little white top showing tummy. Oh, and I'm 6'2... so you couldn't miss me. :)

Fantastic
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:21 PM
There's a difference between holding up your hand as you're receiving serve to steady yourself, and holding up your hand as you're receiving serve and deciding to walk around for a little bit at the back of the court. The former is acceptable. The latter is wasting time. Which act did Bovina commit? If it's the latter then Francesca has every right to scream at her. If it's the former then Bovina has nothing to worry about. The common rule of courtesy is that the receiver should be ready to play within moments of the servers' readiness to serve.

ally baker
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:30 PM
Yay... you can see me in the Bovina/Lorenzo winning match pic.

Allez Me! :)

Nemesis
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:35 PM
Justine & Elena B ... Love them both :) The "hand" ladies ... They played doubles together at the end of 2002 and the beginning of 2003. Sharing tactics? :p

The Guilty
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:37 PM
Lena didn't hold her hand up that many times and really she has the right do to so and a lot of ohter players do it. And I think Francesca screaming (what she does is scream, not grunt) is a lot worse.

I just loved when Lena hit her with the racquet :devil: :worship: I thought they were going to fight...

gentenaire
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:38 PM

The other being Francesca, they should just kiss and make up ;)

ally baker
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:39 PM
The other being Francesca, they should just kiss and make up ;)
Lena doesn't go that way... :p

TM
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:41 PM
ok wanna hear something funny? on the tuesday my friends and i were on court 2 watching the doubles between craybas/jeyaseelan vs daniilidou/grande (1 game left) then dokic/morariu vs bartoli/bedanova. Sitting near the top we made sure we could also see court 3, which had schett/zuluaga vs pisnik/tanasugarn and court 4, schiavone/farina elia vs pratt/loit. we were watching all 3 matches at the same time, it was fun. So when franny hit a crazy smash along with her patented crazy extended grunt we LoL and people were looking at us crazy and we LoL at the people. I AM CRAZY ! :D

here's the link my toronto pics (http://www.wtnphotos.com/showgallery.php?cat=3082&ppuser=3533)

cool bird
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:49 PM
Bovina did not really do that much wrong to be honest. It all started becuses francesca got to a ball grunt as she hit it, Bovina thought that ball had been called out (so did every one eles) so did not strech to get the makeably volley.

Then the hand shake at the end was funny Bovina was trying to pull her had away and fran would not let go. and was shouting at bovina. Bovina then hit frans hand with the racket as if to say you wanna be leting go of my hand now and i have to fran backed off pretty quick

bis2806
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:55 PM
:lol:@TM.... schiavone's grunts are loud and cool, aren't they?!?!

Lady
Oct 21st, 2003, 06:06 PM
Justine & Elena B ... Love them both :) The "hand" ladies ... They played doubles together at the end of 2002 and the beginning of 2003. Sharing tactics? :p

:haha: Exactly

I love them both too :bounce:

Bероника
Oct 21st, 2003, 06:06 PM
:worship: Francesca and her grunts

MarcusRock
Oct 21st, 2003, 06:34 PM
I guess I missed that part.....hahhaha, would have been fun. Seeing that Lena is almost twice as tall as Francesca....me thinks Cesca would have gotten mowed down.Yeah but I hear that Francesca is good at biting ankles and kneecaps so don't be so sure.

On another note, anyone have video of this net encounter?

Dava
Oct 21st, 2003, 06:38 PM
I felt it was pretty bad throughout the match, cos fran was groaning really bad, but then Elena did really not need thet much time to recieve a serve. The only time she did need it Fran served, which Pissed her off. LOL

King Aaron
Oct 21st, 2003, 06:40 PM
Bovina did not really do that much wrong to be honest. It all started becuses francesca got to a ball grunt as she hit it, Bovina thought that ball had been called out (so did every one eles) so did not strech to get the makeably volley.

Then the hand shake at the end was funny Bovina was trying to pull her had away and fran would not let go. and was shouting at bovina. Bovina then hit frans hand with the racket as if to say you wanna be leting go of my hand now and i have to fran backed off pretty quick
Lmao! :haha:

treufreund
Oct 21st, 2003, 06:43 PM
OMG they are both psycho!!!

bis2806
Oct 21st, 2003, 06:45 PM
poor francesca..... :sad:

DEETHELICK
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:50 PM
They both seemed to be complaining about each other. I have to say that Schiavone's grunts seem tactical at times, like she really screams out at tense times.

At the net, Schiavone was shaking Elena's hand but started mouthing off and Elena wrenched her own hand away from her. And I'm sure I notcied some tennis racket slapping action.

After, while Bovina was gathering her stuff she was smiling and blowing kisses to the camera as though nothing had happened! Really made me laugh! :)

-Sonic-
Oct 21st, 2003, 09:14 PM
Damn I wish I saw it.... sounds like a right laugh.

Joseosu19
Oct 21st, 2003, 09:27 PM
:kiss: Francesca

:devil: Elena B :p

Julian
Oct 21st, 2003, 09:42 PM
Meow! Both were obviously cranky today! lol :D

jenny161185
Oct 21st, 2003, 10:51 PM
well done lena - as someone said womens tennis needs more drama!

fammmmedspin
Oct 21st, 2003, 11:23 PM
The match started badly when the umpire apologised for not having a mike - lots of shouting and some calls not heard. Then they had calls from the opposite court confusing them. Then Francesca did a grunt which sounded enough like out for Elena to complain. Then Elena complained again and the umpire said the grunting was now alright - clearly a grunt. Then Elena got louder too.

Then as it got tighter Elena started to delay the Schiavone serve - sometimes she put her hand up, other times she just stood there looking unprepared. Francesca served one when Bovina was not signalling to wait and Bovina was so unprepared she completely missed it. Then on the seventh or eighth match point Elena delayed Francesca so much Francesca turned away and started to get ready again - it was a pretty crucial point of the match to try and throw Francesca and if she thought it was intentional you can see why Francesca was angry.
Taught match anyway Bovina was looking less good for a third set and they had both lost advantages in both sets before the 8 match points. As the Eurosport commentators remarked, Elena didn't seem to appreciate that the returner is meant to play at the servers pace and not vice versa.

Doc
Oct 22nd, 2003, 01:13 AM
Personally I think francesca was getting frustrated at her inability to win key points in the Match. She'd led 2-5 in the first set, and Lena had reeled her back in, and won the set in the tiebreak.

The match was very tense throughout, with both players seeming grimly determined to win, so there was a lot of intensity in each point.

I thought someone had called "out" when Schiavone grunted in the first incident. Lena obviously did too, and didn't finish the point.

As far as delaying "goes", Elena isn't a natural delayer, and didn't go for regular walkabouts around the back court as some players do. Nor did she go in for the "shoelace-tying" ploy that Francesca used more than once. Lena just kept her racquet held up until she had settled in position - which didn't suit Francesca, who made a "scene" at the end. She grabbed Lena's hand and wouldn't let go, while she yelled something at lena. Lena pulled angrily away, and rapped francesca on the wrist to break her grip. I didn't see her hit her with any part of the racquet. I think it was her free hand, holding the racquet that struck Francesca's wrist.

Oh. And Francesca may only be 5ft 5 inches tall, but she has some big muscles!

GermanBoy
Oct 22nd, 2003, 01:17 AM
IMO you can`t say whether Schiavone was right or not. I think we all know these days and situations when absolutely everything is getting on our nerves and she didn`t like Bovina`s behaviour there. It is a thing between Schiavone and Bovina...

j_dementieva27
Oct 22nd, 2003, 01:23 AM
after a long rally at any point, either player can hold up play for a max of.. i think 25 seconds... but as long as schiavone got her first serve, she shouoldnt be complaing... i never liked schiavone, something about her seems sneaky and i think she is the kind of player who would accuse someone like bovina of doing this just because they lost

switz
Oct 22nd, 2003, 01:28 AM
schiavone is scary. i'm sure she would fight dirty eg kicking bovina's shins etc.

theprophe
Oct 22nd, 2003, 01:34 AM
schiavone's grunts were funny, when the ball was close on the line her grunt was like "out" during normal play she had a 2 sylabol (sp) grunt. Even during one second serve she complained to the ump about the ball boys running, the ump said, well you will have to wait for them to get the ball,lol

ally baker
Oct 22nd, 2003, 03:02 AM
I think the Italian girls have a problem with Lena...

Rita Grande made some mean comments after their match at RG.

I can understand why they'd be jealous, though... not everyone can be so beautiful and elegant as us tall Russinas.

F-R-E-A-K
Oct 22nd, 2003, 03:41 AM
Go Lena Bovina!! Kick Frans ass!

slice
Oct 22nd, 2003, 05:12 AM
oh they r both as bad as each other! schiavone grunts ridiculously and bovina is quite immature!

tenn_ace
Oct 22nd, 2003, 05:13 AM
after a long rally at any point, either player can hold up play for a max of.. i think 25 seconds... but as long as schiavone got her first serve, she shouoldnt be complaing... i never liked schiavone, something about her seems sneaky and i think she is the kind of player who would accuse someone like bovina of doing this just because they lost

not really... the server has 25 sec, but if the server wants to play at a faster pace she syill has to give the returner 12-15 sec to prepare. I didn't see the match, so I can't comment how much time Elena was trying to take as a returner to prepare, but if she didn't get a time warning, I assume it was within 12-15 sec. FS should then blame herself.

ally baker
Oct 22nd, 2003, 05:24 AM
From seeing many previous Bovina matches... she often holds her hand up, even after 15 seconds have passed.

Either way... Lena won, Frannie lost. Nanny nanny poo poo.

Hayden
Oct 22nd, 2003, 10:58 AM
Damn! I wish I coulda seen it!

Caz
Oct 22nd, 2003, 11:11 AM
schiavone is scary. i'm sure she would fight dirty eg kicking bovina's shins etc.

She looks scary and is ultra competitive on court, but actually I think she is a really nice person.
At Wimbledon during one of her matches a ball girl started to feel faint, (she didn't actually faint, but looked like she was about to), and Francesca saw and immediatley dropped everything, ran over to her to help her, screaming at the umpire and line judges to bring her water, and took her to a chair and stayed with her ,talking to her and making sure she was OK, until someone came to take her off the court.

cool bird
Oct 22nd, 2003, 02:07 PM
I must say I think that Venus got a little pissed off with Bovina at the collins cup last year. I did not see all the match. But at the end Venus did not kiss bovina cheek. I thought that Vee was just being a sore loser

GoDominique
Oct 22nd, 2003, 06:54 PM
Hahaha that was really funny. I have it on tape BTW. ;)

Elena wasn't willing to look at Francesca but Freancesca had already begun to talk to her so she didn't let Elena's hand go. Then elena got mad and hit Francesca's arm with the grip of her racket. Then Francesca let her hand go but continued talking and pointed at Elena like saying "we'll come back to this in the locker-room". :lol: I wonder if they had a fight there later. ;)