PDA

View Full Version : Info on renne richards....

Darop.
Oct 21st, 2003, 04:02 PM
I heard he was a man then became a women and they let him play in the wta... is this true or are they just rumors?? plz answer... :wavey:

Rollo
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:07 PM
It's true. The 1970s was WAY crazier than today. If you start a thread on Renee in the Blast from the Past you will get some interesting replies and maybe a few pictures.

We love new fans who are into the history of tennis and never diss anyone. We only diss dirt on all the old players! Come visit us at:

http://www.wtaworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59

C iao :wavey:

Jem
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:14 PM
Renee Richards formerly was Richard Raskind, a highly ranked male tennis player, not to mention a opthamologist and a father. After he underwent his sex-change surgery, he/she became Renee and indeed competed on the women's circuit, but only in the United States and South America. Richards was barred from competing in Europe and Australia because he could not pass a chromosome test. In 1977, she played Wimbledon and drew reigning Wimbledon champion Virginia Wade in the opening round. When she had last played the U.S. Open, as a man in the early to mid 1960s, hehad also drawn the reigning Wimbledon champion in the first round. How ironic is that! Anyway, Richards competed on the WTA tour for several years and posted some rather strong results for a 40+ women. She beat several top 10 players and took sets off most of the top players, including Chris Evert. I don't believe she ever won a WTA tournament, but she did advance at least to the SFs on several occasions if not the finals. Her power made the difference! Once she retired from tennis, Richards worked closely as a coach with Martina Navratilova for some time before she left the tour for good to resume her opthamology practice. I believe she lives in California, maybe La Jolla.

Zummi
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:35 PM
Renee is a pediatric opthamologist; she still has her practice in New York.

Declan
Oct 21st, 2003, 06:44 PM
Renee Richards formerly was Richard Raskind, a highly ranked male tennis player, not to mention a opthamologist and a father. After he underwent his sex-change surgery, he/she became Renee and indeed competed on the women's circuit, but only in the United States and South America. Richards was barred from competing in Europe and Australia because he could not pass a chromosome test. In 1977, she played Wimbledon and drew reigning Wimbledon champion Virginia Wade in the opening round. When she had last played the U.S. Open, as a man in the early to mid 1960s, hehad also drawn the reigning Wimbledon champion in the first round. How ironic is that! Anyway, Richards competed on the WTA tour for several years and posted some rather strong results for a 40+ women. She beat several top 10 players and took sets off most of the top players, including Chris Evert. I don't believe she ever won a WTA tournament, but she did advance at least to the SFs on several occasions if not the finals. Her power made the difference! Once she retired from tennis, Richards worked closely as a coach with Martina Navratilova for some time before she left the tour for good to resume her opthamology practice. I believe she lives in California, maybe La Jolla.

Jem: it was the US Open in '77 in which Richards played Virginia Wade in the first round; she was always barred from playing Wimbledon.
She reached at least two finals on the WTA tour: Avon of Seattle in 1979 when she beat Wendy Turnbull and took a set off Chris in the final, and later that year she was runner-up to Sue Barker at Pittsburgh. Also she was finalist at the US Open Doubles of 1977 with BettyAnn Stuart - I remember a British paper at the time carrying a picture of the pair under the cruel caption of 'Beauty And The Beast'!!!