PDA

View Full Version : Which match was better: Henin-Hardenne/Capriati USO SF or Roddick/El Aynaoui AO QF

JennyS
Oct 21st, 2003, 01:52 PM
Which classic Grand Slam match do you think was the better match?

Lady
Oct 21st, 2003, 01:54 PM
For me Justine/Jennifer, of course

But it's so hard to compare

Andy/Younes was so great, and I watched it live

CapFan#1
Oct 21st, 2003, 01:57 PM
Both were great, but the quality of play was great through out the entire match of Jen vs. Justine, where the Roddick/El Aynaoui match was more of a serve festival.

switz
Oct 21st, 2003, 02:11 PM
depends how you define 'better'. i think the roddick/younes match was a higher quality overall. the tension in the capriati/henin match was vast, but IMO it was only capriati's lack of mental strength that made it an even remotely interesting match, as it should have been a comprehensive straight sets win. henin played some great tennis at the end, but capriati allowed her to. the roddick match never really dropped for the entire 5 sets and although some would have been bored by it, speaking as someone at the match i can say it never lost it's intensity at any point (from my perspective) and you never knew what would happen or who would win. i think you could tell that capriati wasn't going to do what was needed to win that match, even when she had the big lead in the final set

GANGSTABACKHAND!
Oct 21st, 2003, 02:33 PM
what aspects of the Jen-Henin match made it a quality match?? a High Quality match is a match where both players are competing at almost the same level. The Jen-Henin match was not a high quality match. This match was not even a great match!! When a player chokes ten times in one match it's hardly high quality. Yuou guys are free to disagree with me, but in your replies state exactly what made this match a quality match!!??What is the point of this thread anyway!!? What's it supposed to prove!!??

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 03:04 PM
When a player chokes ten times in one match it's hardly high quality.

Exactly....Jen should have won this match in under a hour....but choked. That ainīt exactly "great" imo.

nygirl
Oct 21st, 2003, 03:15 PM
Exactly....Jen should have won this match in under a hour....but choked. That ainīt exactly "great" imo.

There is a HUGE difference between choking and your opponent stepping it up. Jen couldn't get to matchpoint 10 times! That says more about Juju than about Jen. Justine played fearless tennis at those moments and came up with some unbelievable shots.

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 03:23 PM
There is a HUGE difference between choking and your opponent stepping it up. Jen couldn't get to matchpoint 10 times! That says more about Juju than about Jen. Justine played fearless tennis at those moments and came up with some unbelievable shots.

Probably...but I think Jen stepping down had something to do with it too....all of sudden she was playing a la Kim: balls down the middle, not going for anything....it easy for your opponent to step up then.

Contrast this with what Serena did while facing mpīs at the Oz: she WENT for the shots, came to the net....THAT is stepping up.

Lady
Oct 21st, 2003, 04:12 PM
Justine WENT for her shots & came to the net as well!!

tenn_ace
Oct 21st, 2003, 04:18 PM
Probably...but I think Jen stepping down had something to do with it too....all of sudden she was playing a la Kim: balls down the middle, not going for anything....it easy for your opponent to step up then.

Contrast this with what Serena did while facing mpīs at the Oz: she WENT for the shots, came to the net....THAT is stepping up.

:haha: this is just so pathetic... you ARE incredible.
:lol:

DA FOREHAND
Oct 21st, 2003, 04:22 PM
Roddick/El match much higher quality match throughout, and not decided by a choke job. justine played well when the chips were down, but that's easier to do when your opponent is afraid to win, and would rather be on the court when you lose(loose).

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 04:26 PM
:haha: this is just so pathetic... you ARE incredible.
:lol:

whatīs so pathetic?! No way should Justine be dictating points against Jen....weīre talking the daughter of STEFANO CAPRIATI here!! Think a girl who is smaller than Martina Hingis should be overpowering Jen?!

Thatīs choking! When Serena overpowers Kim, itīs normal....because Serena overpowers EVERYBODY!

Gabra
Oct 21st, 2003, 04:26 PM
For me definietly Younes/Andy was better

XaDavK_Kapri
Oct 21st, 2003, 04:39 PM
Younes/Andy for sure, cuz no one choked.

MisterQ
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:10 PM
El Aynaoui/Roddick was better, no question imo. The quality of play was more consistent, the drama was just as intense, and that fifth set put it into the record books. Neither player really choked, whereas Capriati did to some extent (all credit to Justine, though, for some amazing play on big points).

CapFan#1
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:31 PM
what aspects of the Jen-Henin match made it a quality match?? a High Quality match is a match where both players are competing at almost the same level. The Jen-Henin match was not a high quality match. This match was not even a great match!! When a player chokes ten times in one match it's hardly high quality. Yuou guys are free to disagree with me, but in your replies state exactly what made this match a quality match!!??What is the point of this thread anyway!!? What's it supposed to prove!!??

The quality of shots, and long points in this match made it a not only a High Quality match, one of the best matches in the last 10 years ...duh.... Jen did not choke--- Justine played really well on those points when she was down, and also gotta a little bit of luck. Had Jen reached MP and double faulted or made some huge UE, then she would have chocked, but that didn't happen. Watch this match and then watch other matches (which I have done) and you will see the difference in quality

treufreund
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:34 PM
whatīs so pathetic?! No way should Justine be dictating points against Jen....weīre talking the daughter of STEFANO CAPRIATI here!! Think a girl who is smaller than Martina Hingis should be overpowering Jen?!

Thatīs choking! When Serena overpowers Kim, itīs normal....because Serena overpowers EVERYBODY!

have you seen the racquet head speed, topspin and precision in justine's game cuz yes she did often dictate play. justine is pretty darn powerful!

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:40 PM
have you seen the racquet head speed, topspin and precision in justine's game cuz yes she did often dictate play. justine is pretty darn powerful!

Of course....but did you see her dictate any play at Wimbledon against Serena?! Jen just stopped and stepped back...

graf630
Oct 21st, 2003, 06:05 PM
El Aynaoui/Roddick What a high quality match!! Henin-H/Capriati doesn't even compare(although it was a pretty good match,but not in the same league)Great sportsmanship all around,all the way to the hand shake(hug)!!

Bella
Oct 21st, 2003, 06:23 PM
Jen-Juju. I loved the other one, but it was so long I wouldn't watch the whole thing. I'd watch the last set. Broadcasters are going to have to be in one long rain-delay to run that match again. I think we'll see many re-runs of the tiebreak, though.

Maajken
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:48 PM
andy-younes. hands down.

5 set matches are always something else and the tennis they displayed was fantastic. jen-justine was exciting to watch but the tennis was utter crap.

Havok
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:10 PM
Roddick/El-Aynaoui by a LONG SHOT

JennyS
Oct 21st, 2003, 09:20 PM
Jennifer did not totally choke. If she had, she would have been blown out in the third set after not winning the second. She really deserves credit for not giving up after her second set disapointment.

I'm a Jen fan, so I'm a bit biased, and I do think Jen should have won in straights BUT, her serve has always been her weakness, and the Mauresmo match kept creeping into my mind when she served for it, so I knew it wasn't a done deal. I think she had a better chance to win the match on Justine's serve.

Also, Jen did get unlucky in a few cases. Remember the part where there was a ball that stayed up in the air for a while and looked like it was going to go out wide to the left and set up match point? McEnroe thought it was going to go wide and it didn't. It was a wickedly difficult shot to hit once it was good. Plus the lob that Justine hit too was unbelievable.

I think it was the final set tie break that really did Jen in. I personally dislike a final set tiebreak. But the outcome may have been the same. I don't know if Jen has ever won a match in a final set tiebreak.

I think the AO match was a more consistantly high level match. The winners to unforced errors ratio was fantastic. I loved the part when the ballkids got to play.

Both matches were good.

tennisIlove09
Oct 21st, 2003, 09:25 PM
Don't compare men's tennis with women's tennis

harloo
Oct 21st, 2003, 09:26 PM
Jen choked the match against Henin big time. Sorry, but it was not like she was playing Venus or Serena.

Henin-H was not hitting the ball that hard. Jen had so many chances to win this match, I was disgusted with her myself. I just could not believe how she could not end it in an easy 2 because Justine H-H was not playing all that well IMO.

Anyways, I am gonna have to vote for the men's matches of the USO. The women's matches at this year's USO really sucked badly.

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 09:29 PM
I wonder what would have happened with Jujuīs cramps if the match didnīt end with a tie-break and had to continue like at the other GSīs?! :scratch:

GANGSTABACKHAND!
Oct 21st, 2003, 09:38 PM
The quality of shots, and long points in this match made it a not only a High Quality match, one of the best matches in the last 10 years ...duh.... Jen did not choke--- Justine played really well on those points when she was down, and also gotta a little bit of luck. Had Jen reached MP and double faulted or made some huge UE, then she would have chocked, but that didn't happen. Watch this match and then watch other matches (which I have done) and you will see the difference in quality

This match was ok at best. It was not great quality. Jennifer is known for choking, and dropping 2 -3 levels below her game in the third set of matches. At times in this match Jen even tried to go to net, a place where she sucks(did u see her up there, she looked lost while getting passed by Justine). With a player of Jennifer's alleged "stature", Losing huge lead in big matches is considered choking. I understand that u are a big fan of Cappy, but be big enough to understand that she is human and she will choke, and lose matches that she should win, like this one. Jen's problem is the same as Kimmies, they just hit the ball hard, they do not go for the lines. What I like about Serena and Venus is the fact that they do not lose matches trying to do things that they can not. Jennifer should have stayed with her strength, she rallies really well. When the pressure was on Jen should have stayed with what she knew instead of trying to do things like coming to net at will, she will get passed every time!!

Kart
Oct 21st, 2003, 09:39 PM
Roddick match

Astro Jetson
Oct 21st, 2003, 09:41 PM
I voted for Jen vs. Ju because I'm biased and because of the drama. I think it can be compared to Kim vs. Serena at the AO.

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 09:48 PM
Jennifer should have stayed with her strength, she rallies really well. When the pressure was on Jen should have stayed with what she knew instead of trying to do things like coming to net at will, she will get passed every time!!

yeah...thatīs true. Jenīs play at the net was pathetic! witness matchpoint for Juju...a weak backhand volley in the net.

CapFan#1
Oct 21st, 2003, 10:08 PM
This match was ok at best. It was not great quality. Jennifer is known for choking, and dropping 2 -3 levels below her game in the third set of matches. At times in this match Jen even tried to go to net, a place where she sucks(did u see her up there, she looked lost while getting passed by Justine). With a player of Jennifer's alleged "stature", Losing huge lead in big matches is considered choking. I understand that u are a big fan of Cappy, but be big enough to understand that she is human and she will choke, and lose matches that she should win, like this one. Jen's problem is the same as Kimmies, they just hit the ball hard, they do not go for the lines. What I like about Serena and Venus is the fact that they do not lose matches trying to do things that they can not. Jennifer should have stayed with her strength, she rallies really well. When the pressure was on Jen should have stayed with what she knew instead of trying to do things like coming to net at will, she will get passed every time!!

You really shouldnt post about things you do not understand. During that match Jen won 19 of 31 = 61 % net points. In fact, finishing points at the net is something Cappy had NOTICEABLY improved on this year. Same thing goes for hitting the lines..... your :confused: comments makes me think you didn't even see this match.

ktwtennis
Oct 22nd, 2003, 12:00 AM
As much as I like the women, Roddick's match was better...