PDA

View Full Version : Justine vs Venus at YEC

Volcana
Oct 21st, 2003, 12:06 PM
Currently, in this WTA World fan poll (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=91118) Justine and Venus are the 1st and 2nd faves to winthe title. This leads to an obvious and interesting question, given their head to head.

If Venus plays Justine at the YEC, who will win?

BTW, objectively, Justine is player of the year.

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 12:14 PM
Hmm....I think Venus is a tough opponent for Justine on hardcourts.....in that her backhand is equally solid, she has more power on the forehand side....and she knows how to jam Justineīs own backhand.

Besides breaking Venus is a WHOLE different thing than breaking Kim at will..

Plus if Venus decides to go to the net, she will toast Justine imo.

nygirl
Oct 21st, 2003, 12:15 PM
Love ya Juju but my old fave gets this one :)
But if you do succeed I promise never to doubt you again ;)

shap_half
Oct 21st, 2003, 02:41 PM
um this is hard. see it depends, i think, at how Venus will play in Philadelphia. I think if Venus wins Philadelphia, she CAN win the YEC. I think that Justine is very motivated to end the year an no. 1 and end her Venus drought.

Ballbuster
Oct 21st, 2003, 02:46 PM
If Venus comes in Fit. She's going to Blast Justine off the Court.

QUEENLINDSAY
Oct 21st, 2003, 02:50 PM
Did kim withdrew??????

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 03:01 PM
um this is hard. see it depends, i think, at how Venus will play in Philadelphia. I think if Venus wins Philadelphia, she CAN win the YEC. I think that Justine is very motivated to end the year an no. 1 and end her Venus drought.

What?! It ainīt all in Justineīs hand?! I thought the tour improved and the Williamses stood still?! Look and behold.....a match between the no.6 and no.1 player in the world, depends on how the no.6( who hasnīt played in nearly 4 months!) performs??!! :scratch:

shap_half
Oct 21st, 2003, 03:04 PM
Listen you fool, just because I support Justine doesn't mean I completely refuse to accept certain situations. I know that Venus is completely capable of defeating Justine, but it's been a very looong while since it's happened. You act like people here are blind. I support Justine to win that match but I know it's not a guarantee. I think it's people like you who refuse to understand that there are no guarantees in life and refuse to accept the fact that the sisters can be beaten

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 03:07 PM
Listen you fool, just because I support Justine doesn't mean I completely refuse to accept certain situations. I know that Venus is completely capable of defeating Justine, but it's been a very looong while since it's happened. You act like people here are blind. I support Justine to win that match but I know it's not a guarantee. I think it's people like you who refuse to understand that there are no guarantees in life and refuse to accept the fact that the sisters can be beaten

Fool?! It ainīt even THAT long ago that Venus has beaten Justine...uuhmm, Oz open this year e.g....I think what you meant to say was that it was a long time ago that JUSTINE has beaten Venus.....but it is easy to get tangled up in your words..

But this is a good way to brace yourself...

TM
Oct 21st, 2003, 03:12 PM
I don't think Venus will play..I don't think she should even consider playing the rest of the year. She should train for 2004 and start from there. 2004 is your year Venus, work it. :yippie:

Volcana
Oct 21st, 2003, 03:15 PM
Did kim withdrew??????

No, but if you followed the link inthe first post inthis thread, you see that this thread is a 'spin-off' of another thread. That thread was a poll. Venus and Justine are leading in that poll. Had Kim been one of the top two inthat poll, I'd be asking about her. She's not, so I'm not.

Ballbuster
Oct 21st, 2003, 03:22 PM
Listen you fool,

That was Rude!

Lady
Oct 21st, 2003, 03:27 PM
My vote goes to Justine, if a fan doesn't believe in a player, who will ;)

QUEENLINDSAY
Oct 21st, 2003, 03:49 PM
No, but if you followed the link inthe first post inthis thread, you see that this thread is a 'spin-off' of another thread. That thread was a poll. Venus and Justine are leading in that poll. Had Kim been one of the top two inthat poll, I'd be asking about her. She's not, so I'm not.

If Venus does'nt lead that poll, I wonder if you do the same thread with Justine vs Kim or Justine vs Capriati!!!!

7~ŒLęV3ņ―
Oct 21st, 2003, 03:55 PM
didnt justine claim that she was tired and has a back problem... while ms Venus, i think has been rested and her stomach is i thnk about 90% healed...

DA FOREHAND
Oct 21st, 2003, 04:07 PM

Um Venus beat justine THIS YEAR!!! A.O. 6-3 6-3! :wavey: :rolleyes:

cool bird
Oct 21st, 2003, 04:12 PM
Justine will win the match. If they play at the YEC, Venus has been off the tour for a long time and will need to be in best form to beat Justine. Cos we all know that Justine is gonna come out fired up. She wants to prove that she is better than the williams sisters and that she should be number 1

DA FOREHAND
Oct 21st, 2003, 04:18 PM
Justine will win the match. If they play at the YEC, Venus has been off the tour for a long time and will need to be in best form to beat Justine. Cos we all know that Justine is gonna come out fired up. She wants to prove that she is better than the williams sisters and that she should be number 1

lots of players would like to prove themselves against the Williams sisters, they are the STANDARD by which all players of this generation will be measured. :worship:

drapero
Oct 21st, 2003, 04:19 PM
If you want to make a poll in which Venus will surely come on top, than this is it: Which of the listed players (bla,bla,bla) will most likely withdraw from YEC ?

I'm not bashing Venus here, I'm bashing another senseless pole...

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 04:23 PM
lots of players would like to prove themselves against the Williams sisters, they are the STANDARD by which all players of this generation will be measured. :worship:

:bowdown: :worship: :bowdown:

cool bird
Oct 21st, 2003, 04:24 PM

I agree. The williams sisters have set the bar high in womens tennis. Time will only tell if Kim and Justine have reached the bar or are just a little bit under it.
But i think the yec are just to soon for venus to be playing at her best. All she needs to do is go out there and get some wins under belt. Work on some stuff in the off season then be ready for the aussie open

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 04:27 PM
I agree. The williams sisters have set the bar high in womens tennis. Time will only tell if Kim and Justine have reached the bar or are just a little bit under it.
But i think the yec are just to soon for venus to be playing at her best. All she needs to do is go out there and get some wins under belt. Work on some stuff in the off season then be ready for the aussie open

Exactly...she needs this more than Serena. Serena went down winning....but Venus has to come out, play...win some matches, so that her confidence goes up again.

Paneru
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:47 PM
didnt justine claim that she was tired and has a back problem... while ms Venus, i think has been rested and her stomach is i thnk about 90% healed...

So, that would give Mrs.Henin-Hardenne an excuse should she
lose to a rested Venus, eh? :cool:

tennisIlove09
Oct 21st, 2003, 06:50 PM
hmm...tough. Venus will be physically and mentally fresher, so HUGE edge.

But Justine will have confidence on her side.

I'd still say Venus, just because of the serve and reach and net play. But if it gets tight in the third set, Justine would probably pull it out.

Knizzle
Oct 21st, 2003, 06:53 PM
hmm...tough. Venus will be physically and mentally fresher, so HUGE edge.

But Justine will have confidence on her side.

I'd still say Venus, just because of the serve and reach and net play. But if it gets tight in the third set, Justine would probably pull it out.

I know what you are thinking, but you have to take in consideration the dynamic between Justine and Venus. Justine finds it deathly hard to hold serve against Venus. Justine can break Venus, but she is not going to do it as often as Venus breaks her.

tennisIlove09
Oct 21st, 2003, 06:59 PM
I know what you are thinking, but you have to take in consideration the dynamic between Justine and Venus. Justine finds it deathly hard to hold serve against Venus. Justine can break Venus, but she is not going to do it as often as Venus breaks her.

I didn't see the AO Semi. What were the stats like? Venus won 6-3 6-3...how many times was Vee broke? To me, that's the key. If Venus' serve is on, she'll win the match.

Kart
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:01 PM
I think Venus would beat Justine. She has enough reach and court coverage to withstand Justine's sizzling shots and serve. Justine's best chance is to not doubt herself and her gameplan for even a second (and she's shown this year she can do that) and hope that Venus does (unlikely as she doesn't get intimidated these days).

For me, there is a real question mark is over both of their fitness - Venus has been injured and Justine is apparently knackered (although she's taking a week off). Whether this could be a factor I don't know.

What do you think, Volcana ?

ghosts
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:04 PM
definately Venus

Ryan
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:05 PM
If Venus does play and they do meet, I hope I can watch in on TV. If both are healthy it will IMO be a battle! Venus will be trying to prove herself again, and Justine will try and show people that she can win big matches against mentally tough opponents. I would love to see this go to a third set tie-breaker or something close. :drool:

I think Justine has an enormous confidence edge going into this, and Venus if healthy will be ready to kick ass. It depends on serve IMO. If Venus serves her best she should win, but if it's off abit and Henin is serving well Henin might win. I just hope they play, and I hope it's an excellent match!

Ryan
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:06 PM
I also think winning the first set for Justine is CRUCIAL. I'ts possible for her to win if she loses the first, but if she can win the first set then she'll IMO be very confident and could win in two.

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:09 PM
I think Venus will go in confident against Justine....because she doesnīt give Justine nothing to feed-off or to play mind games...Justine relies on mind-games, but against Venus those donīt work.

Knizzle
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:10 PM
I didn't see the AO Semi. What were the stats like? Venus won 6-3 6-3...how many times was Vee broke? To me, that's the key. If Venus' serve is on, she'll win the match.

I don't know, I didn't see that match either. I guess I was in school. If Venus serves well, it will be a quick match. If her serve is decent then she would probably win in 2 tight sets or maybe lose a close middle set and then win comprehensively in the third. Don't forget also that Venus owes Justine a little something for Juju's actions at the French. I don't think Venus has forgotten about that. In the Aussie match Venus broke Justine 6 times in 9 service games for Juju and Justine broke 3 times out of Venus' 9 service games.

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:14 PM
The semi at the Oz was never in doubt....as I think Venus was up with break from the beginning....every time Justine wanted to come back, Venus roared back and mantained her advantage through-out.

The match was never in doubt.

tennisIlove09
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:58 PM
I don't think Henin needs the first Ryan. Remember, Amelia Island?

But it would help.

SerenaSlam
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:10 PM
im going with the queen on this one. although it may go three sets, seeing venus has been out the game for some time and is ify, i really feel venus will take this one. i won't be surprised if venus wins in straight sets, but i think venus would win in 3 sets, with a easy third set.

justine is good, but venus, she knows kim and justine to well. she knows what to do to take care of them. she will have many break chances. and when it comes to justine regarding venus, when she plays venus, she barely gets any chances to break venus. i think amelie island and when she beat her in berlin the first time they played, is about the most chances she has ever had at breaking venus. she really struggles against venus. and i think she will continue to do that.

LucasArg
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:17 PM
Venus! :dance:

Diya
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:23 PM
Justine in two sets

Easy first set but a tough second set !

G_Slammed
Oct 21st, 2003, 09:05 PM
Venus... two sets, three sets, match points down. Doesn't matter.

Venus.

Meg22
Oct 21st, 2003, 09:05 PM
Venus !!!!

pReUrBrIyN
Oct 21st, 2003, 09:08 PM
This isn't hard at all:

As some would say,

Simply Venus

SerenaSlam
Oct 21st, 2003, 09:17 PM
If Venus does play and they do meet, I hope I can watch in on TV. If both are healthy it will IMO be a battle! Venus will be trying to prove herself again, and Justine will try and show people that she can win big matches against mentally tough opponents. I would love to see this go to a third set tie-breaker or something close. :drool:

I think Justine has an enormous confidence edge going into this, and Venus if healthy will be ready to kick ass. It depends on serve IMO. If Venus serves her best she should win, but if it's off abit and Henin is serving well Henin might win. I just hope they play, and I hope it's an excellent match!
its true they both have somthing to prove, but i think venus more has somthing to prove than justine, b/c everyone is still gonna question her ability against the williams sisters. you have to be consistent with wins against them in order to get any recognition, u can win here and there, in tough sets, and then go down to them (when you can tell the difference of them playing good and bad) in two easy sets. justine's game has improved, but i question its improvement when it comes to the williams. b/c justine's serve has never been that great against venus or serena. its a weapon now, but look at venus and serena, when they play eachother they get serves back against eachother that are aces and service winners against kim and justine and everyone else. it takes a lot of justine to win a match. her serve needs to be on, but she is gonna have to back it up. in australia i think venus had over 90% of justine's serves back in play, and they were back in play with pace and decent, not just blocked back and sittin up at her.

tennisIlove09
Oct 21st, 2003, 09:22 PM
Venus... two sets, three sets, match points down. Doesn't matter.

Venus.

I LOVE this one :worship: :hearts:

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 09:23 PM
its true they both have somthing to prove, but i think venus more has somthing to prove than justine, b/c everyone is still gonna question her ability against the williams sisters. you have to be consistent with wins against them in order to get any recognition, u can win here and there, in tough sets, and then go down to them (when you can tell the difference of them playing good and bad) in two easy sets. justine's game has improved, but i question its improvement when it comes to the williams. b/c justine's serve has never been that great against venus or serena. its a weapon now, but look at venus and serena, when they play eachother they get serves back against eachother that are aces and service winners against kim and justine and everyone else. it takes a lot of justine to win a match. her serve needs to be on, but she is gonna have to back it up. in australia i think venus had over 90% of justine's serves back in play, and they were back in play with pace and decent, not just blocked back and sittin up at her.

Exactly....her serve can be a weapon against the Dementievaīs and Lina Kīs of this world.....but we are talking the Williams sisters here!! Every serve comes back....and second serves are eaten for lunch. So Justine will have to take huge risks with her second serves and undoubtedly go for too much.

Plus the other side as that on fast surfaces Venusīs serve becomes HUGE, because of the pace...you canīt do much with a serve that comes with 200+ kmh down on you..