PDA

View Full Version : Unexpectant mom shocked by birth

Infiniti2001
Oct 20th, 2003, 11:32 PM
SYDNEY, Australia (Reuters) -- An Australian woman got the shock of her life when she gave birth to a healthy baby boy just three hours after learning she had been pregnant for nine months.

Carolyn Hounsell, 27, went to her doctor with stomach pains and was admitted to hospital, The Daily Telegraph reported this weekend. A few hours later, the care worker said she got "a very big shock" when she delivered a 3.6 kilogram boy.

"I'd had some indigestion," Hounsell said, according to the newspaper.

"They sent me off for an ultrasound, which told them I was at 37 weeks. The cramping I'd had were contractions," she said.

Hounsell had tried unsuccessfully to conceive in the past.

Her husband Dennis Ross, 44, had been told he could not father children after a car accident two-and-a-half years earlier.

"He's a good size. It makes you wonder where I could hide it. My boss was very surprised but not quite as surprised as I was," Hounsell was quoted as saying.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapcf/auspac/10/20/offbeat.odd.australia.baby.reut/index.html

Scotso
Oct 21st, 2003, 01:25 AM
hmm.

i want to see a picture of her.

harloo
Oct 21st, 2003, 01:30 AM
that's such a nice story. awwwwwww............ :)

Crazy Canuck
Oct 21st, 2003, 01:35 AM
I'd be interested to learn how the baby's doing.... she obviously wasn't getting proper prego nutrition, yada yada.

CC
Oct 21st, 2003, 01:37 AM
"I'd had some indigestion,"

Is that what they're calling it now?

Scotso
Oct 21st, 2003, 01:40 AM
Can you imagine sitting on the pot one day, thinking you have a horrible case of constipation, and then a baby pops out? I wonder if you would flush it out of shock.

Bacardi
Oct 21st, 2003, 02:05 AM
Good things come to those who try, I'm happy for her and her husband.
Never ever believe everything doctors say, especially if they tell you that you can't have children. Keep the faith. :)
Good story. :)

alexusjonesfan
Oct 21st, 2003, 02:07 AM
well there's something wrong with that...if you don't notice an almost 4kg block growing disproportionately in front of you...not to mention you've missed your period for over 8 months now, or morning sickness, or strange cravings or hormonal changes....umm you sure aren't the ideal person to be given total responsibility for an infant :o

What's next, she's going to forget whether she fed the baby or whether the baby's diaper needs changing? :eek:

gentenaire
Oct 21st, 2003, 06:19 AM
These things happen more often than you might think. Sometimes it's teenagers who don't want to think they might be pregnant, sometimes it's women who've been told they can't have children so they don't expect to be pregnant either. I heard a similar story of a woman who'd tried to get pregnant for years, had all the fertility treatments, IVF, etc, nothing worked, she'd resigned herself to the fact that she'd never have children. Then she suddenly got cramps and gave birth (she was only 6 months along though).

well there's something wrong with that...if you don't notice an almost 4kg block growing disproportionately in front of you...not to mention you've missed your period for over 8 months now, or morning sickness, or strange cravings or hormonal changes....umm you sure aren't the ideal person to be given total responsibility for an infant

Not everyone gains as much weight. You can carry a 3.4 kg baby and only gain 4 kg. As for missing your periods, if you've had fertility treatments, it messes with your system. Not everyone has morning sickness or strange cravings either. I can understand that a woman who's been told she can't have children may not know that she's pregnant.

azza
Oct 21st, 2003, 06:26 AM
omg :eek: 3.6 kilograms :eek:

:help:

CondiLicious
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:14 AM
Ooooh I have one of those stories. The woman who works at the grocery store near my house went into hospital with "kidney stones" in June but came home with a 7lb baby she didn't know she was pregnant with :lol: She was really fat though anyways so thats how she probably didn't know she was pregnant.

Calvin
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:22 AM
Her husband Dennis Ross, 44, had been told he could not father children after a car accident two-and-a-half years earlier.

hmmm... the kid might resemble the mailman... :eek:

per4ever
Oct 21st, 2003, 09:04 AM
nice story :D

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 21st, 2003, 10:17 AM
lol. Sorry, but it would be kind of hard to miss unless you were already kind of........ hmmm, maybe I just shouldn't go there. :D

hythger
Oct 21st, 2003, 11:34 AM
it's a nice story anyway!
Congrats

Kart
Oct 21st, 2003, 11:47 AM
Can you imagine sitting on the pot one day, thinking you have a horrible case of constipation, and then a baby pops out? I wonder if you would flush it out of shock.

That happens more often than you would think.

Not the flushing part.

alexusjonesfan
Oct 21st, 2003, 01:13 PM
These things happen more often than you might think. Sometimes it's teenagers who don't want to think they might be pregnant, sometimes it's women who've been told they can't have children so they don't expect to be pregnant either. I heard a similar story of a woman who'd tried to get pregnant for years, had all the fertility treatments, IVF, etc, nothing worked, she'd resigned herself to the fact that she'd never have children. Then she suddenly got cramps and gave birth (she was only 6 months along though).

Not everyone gains as much weight. You can carry a 3.4 kg baby and only gain 4 kg. As for missing your periods, if you've had fertility treatments, it messes with your system. Not everyone has morning sickness or strange cravings either. I can understand that a woman who's been told she can't have children may not know that she's pregnant.

whoa, I didn't know that (plus I was being childish :o).
Thanks for the info Tine :yeah:

King Aaron
Oct 21st, 2003, 03:43 PM
Nice story. :)