PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Life Open To Extend Sponsorship Of Indian Wells

tennisIlove09
Oct 20th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Pacific Life Open To Extend Sponsorship Of Indian Wells

Photo By Susan Mullane By Adrianna Outlaw
10/20/2003

The lifespan of the Pacific Life Open just got a little longer. The Pacific Insurance Company has agreed to a two-year extension of its title sponsorship of the Pacific Life Open at Indian Wells. The agreement, which has not yet been formally finalized, extends Pacific Life's sponsorship through 2006.

Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed, however the SportsBusiness Journal's Langdon Brockinton reports the annual sponsorship value to be in the low to mid seven figures. The agreement, which may be finalized and announced later this week, contains an option for two additional years through 2008.

The Pacific Life Open and the Nasdaq-100 Open are two of the few North American tournaments, aside from the U.S. Open, that feature men's and women's fields. In March, Lleyton Hewitt crushed Gustavo Kuerten, 6-1, 6-1, to successfully defend his Pacific Life Open men's title. Kim Clijsters, Hewitt's girlfriend, defeated Lindsay Davenport, 6-4, 7-5, to claim the women's Pacific Life Open crown.

For the second straight year, the Williams sisters declined to enter the event. Stung by the reception they received from some Indian Wells fans during Serena's victory over Clijsters in the 2001 final — some fans serenaded Serena with boos to voice their displeasure over Venus' withdrawal from her scheduled semifinal showdown with her sister — the Williams sisters have made it clear they aren't yet comfortable with the prospect of playing Indian Wells.

"I would like to play where people like to see me play," Serena said during the 2002 WTA Tour Championships. "I did have a couple of fans out there (in Indian Wells), but I think the vast majority of them didn't like me out there. I'm an entertainer and I don't want to entertain if they don't want to be entertained

-Sonic-
Oct 20th, 2003, 06:59 PM
fook me 7 figures.

calabar
Oct 20th, 2003, 08:36 PM
sounds like 2004 will see another Williams-less IW.

ally baker
Oct 20th, 2003, 08:40 PM
Serena, don't play Roland Garros... or hell, anywhere in Europe because you're booed.

Same for all the European girls... USO, IW, Miami, LA, San Diego... don't play cuz they boo and hurt feels.

Ballbuster
Oct 20th, 2003, 08:42 PM
Serena, don't play Roland Garros... or hell, anywhere in Europe because you're booed.

Same for all the European girls... USO, IW, Miami, LA, San Diego... don't play cuz they boo and hurt feels.

If they were as ivory as Brittany they wouldn't get booed.

PhoenixStorm
Oct 20th, 2003, 08:58 PM

sorry but the atmosphere of that crowd was nasty. I dont blame her for not wanting to play when people boo you something you had no control over.

lizchris
Oct 20th, 2003, 09:14 PM

Maybe you should see the acutal match and see the reception. It was worse than the French Open.