Oct 20th, 2003, 06:23 PM
Elke took 5 games... wow!

bandabou
Oct 20th, 2003, 06:24 PM
I predicted 4... I was close.

:rolls: :haha:

Jarrett
Oct 20th, 2003, 06:52 PM
I bet tammy did her little jump BEFORE the match this time. ;)

tenn_ace
Oct 20th, 2003, 08:42 PM
I bet tammy did her little jump BEFORE the match this time. ;)

:haha:

GoDominique
Oct 20th, 2003, 09:49 PM
I don't think Tamarine getting past BYE is worth a thread. :rolleyes:

rated_next
Oct 20th, 2003, 09:51 PM

tennisIlove09
Oct 20th, 2003, 10:42 PM
Is Elke really that bad?

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 20th, 2003, 11:56 PM
Bye is a pretty tough competitor. Quite a few players would struggle against her just now, including some of my favourites :sad:

GoDominique
Oct 20th, 2003, 11:59 PM
Is Elke really that bad?
No, she just had a very good day.

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 12:01 AM
No, she just had a very good day.

Ouch! :spit:

persond.
Oct 21st, 2003, 12:10 AM
just Because Elke's Sistah Plays Doesn't Mean She's Gonna Be As Good As That Other Sistah...y'know That Fat One Who Was Sleeping That One Time

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 12:25 AM
just Because Elke's Sistah Plays Doesn't Mean She's Gonna Be As Good As That Other Sistah...y'know That Fat One Who Was Sleeping That One Time

Hahhaaa.........not even her!

dokic
Oct 21st, 2003, 12:43 AM
:haha: :bolt: :haha:

rada
Oct 21st, 2003, 12:47 AM
:haha: :bolt: :haha:

:haha: is she that crap..

*JR*
Oct 21st, 2003, 01:22 AM
I wish it were funny (and Elke might be a very nice person away from tennis for all I know). But the player pictured to the left, ranked highest in the country (GER) her engineer parents fled to from a brutal dictatorship was denied a WC for Leipzig because a family from comfy BEL had no shame about, yes, stealing it from (someone more deserving, who turned out 2B Anca). In fact, Elke was only the "recipient of stolen goods". Daddy and Kim pulled the actual heist. :(

disposablehero
Oct 21st, 2003, 03:19 AM
Let's all pick on Elke! Yay!

Never mind that so far this year Tammy has beaten

Maureen Drake 6-0 6-2
Shinobu Asagoe 6-2 6-0
Su-Wei Hsieh 6-0 6-0
Lisa Raymond (on Grass) 6-2 6-2
Daniela Hantuchova 6-2 6-4
Nicole Pratt 6-0 6-0

Let's pick on someone who is probably selling more tickets than anyone else who would have gotten her wildcard. Or maybe people think that a third Williams sister who was younger but lower ranked wouldn't be of any interest to fans in the US.

GoDominique
Oct 21st, 2003, 03:42 AM
The difference to the players mentioned is that for Elke, it doesn't matter whether she plays Tanasugarn, Koprivica, Snajdrova or Kühn - she loses, and most of the time badly. Or do you remember Drake, Asagoe et al. getting double-bageled by Rousseau or losing 2 and 1 to Woolley ?

I don't have any problems with Elke (I have never seen her anyway). I only know that her tennis sucks, and way too much for getting WC's for WTA-maindraws.

And don't fool yourself by thinking Elke sells tickets. Attendance on the first day of a small indoor tournament will always be bad, with or without Elke. Besides, no one knows her, and the few people who remember her from last year have already learned that she sucks.

Randy H
Oct 21st, 2003, 04:04 AM
JollyRoger, I understand your anger over the Leipzig situation, and I will be the first to agree with you that Anca Barna was a more than worthy choice for that wildcard spot. *But*, I think that the people who deserve the blame are the tournament directors who made the decision, not Elke or the Clijsters family. If Elke, or Lei want to ask for a WC for Elke, that's fine. But the decision is made by tournament directors and they are the ones who should have the balls to make the right decision for the player who deserves and earned that wildcard. If I were Elke, I would be asking for WC's too, and if the directors are dumb enough to let her have one, then that's not her problem.

I've seen Elke play a few times now, and while she is not the worst player out there, I will be surprised if she ever made top 100 singles. Quite honestly, I question whether she has the drive to even try improving her game to make it higher because she has lost to a number of players I thought she was capable of beating, and by pitiful scores which had to doubt her motivation. And as for Elke selling tickets, I can assure you she is not someone who is drawing in big crowds by any means. There was hardly anyone even watching her in her own home country last summer on a centre court 1st round which I don't think says a lot for her chances anywhere else.

jirobkk
Oct 21st, 2003, 06:27 AM
I did not have chance to watch Tammy vs Elke match. I know Tammy did not play single match nearly 3 weeks since she lost in 2nd round of Japan Open. Playing the first match here after 3 weeks will be tough and she said she try to win the first match.

Hope the next match against Barna is going well for her.

C'mon Tammy.

Grachka
Oct 21st, 2003, 10:32 AM
I have never seen Elke play, but I heard she is not THAT bad at doubles. Singles is a different matter...losing to Wooley (as good as Kirsty can be!) was very poor, and she loses to oustandingly ordinary players...she has never been in a position to get wildcards to places like Luxembourg and Filderstadt.

Kirsten Flipkens is great!

V.Melb
Oct 21st, 2003, 11:02 AM
Yes. Im sure Elke can hit a ball. Tammy doesn't lighten up in her matches. If she could have
won 6-0 6-0 she would have. Elke would have won most of those games on her own merit.
Still.... They are not in the same league and Elke shouldn't be there.

kim4eva
Oct 21st, 2003, 11:20 AM
Elke :sad:
Don't worry, your big sister will get the trophie for you :hearts:

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 11:22 AM
Yes. Im sure Elke can hit a ball. Tammy doesn't lighten up in her matches. If she could have
won 6-0 6-0 she would have. Elke would have won most of those games on her own merit.
Still.... They are not in the same league and Elke shouldn't be there.

Seems Elke isnīt in the same league of ANYONE on the tour as she hasnīt won a match at tour level yet.

*JR*
Oct 21st, 2003, 11:38 AM
JollyRoger, I understand your anger over the Leipzig situation, and I will be the first to agree with you that Anca Barna was a more than worthy choice for that wildcard spot. *But*, I think that the people who deserve the blame are the tournament directors who made the decision, not Elke or the Clijsters family. If Elke, or Lei want to ask for a WC for Elke, that's fine. But the decision is made by tournament directors and they are the ones who should have the balls to make the right decision for the player who deserves and earned that wildcard. If I were Elke, I would be asking for WC's too, and if the directors are dumb enough to let her have one, then that's not her problem.

Sorry, Randy, you're "splitting hairs". Of course the tournaments "made the decisions" (plural, this is a pattern for her) but it comes down to why. And for the Clijsters family to take advantage of a crazy revenue system that's far too complex for this post by shamelessly *cough* "asking" is NOT "fine". It is nothing less than "the moral equivilant of extortion". Re. Elke "asking", has she no shame? :rolleyes: Re. Kim and Lei enabling this racket, have they no honor? So your post basically says: "If a store is dumb enough to have a lousy security system, why blame someone who robs it as a result". :confused:

azza
Oct 21st, 2003, 11:42 AM
go elke :)

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 11:43 AM
Even Kim seems to have lost faith in her sister. They were supposed to play doubles together, but Kim blew it off....DANG!

Randy H
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:45 PM
Sorry, Randy, you're "splitting hairs". Of course the tournaments "made the decisions" (plural, this is a pattern for her) but it comes down to why. And for the Clijsters family to take advantage of a crazy revenue system that's far too complex for this post by shamelessly *cough* "asking" is NOT "fine". It is nothing less than "the moral equivilant of extortion". Re. Elke "asking", has she no shame? :rolleyes: Re. Kim and Lei enabling this racket, have they no honor? So your post basically says: "If a store is dumb enough to have a lousy security system, why blame someone who robs it as a result". :confused:

Elke is out there trying to make a living and make money - Playing tour events even losing maindraw 1st round gives you half decent money. Lei wants his second daughter to have exposure. If Kim doesnt want to play a tournament because little sister can't have a wildcard then tough luck for her, she's going to get a fine for withdrawing last minute anyway.

Why should Elke Clijsters care about Anca Barna getting a wildcard? She is probably not friends with Anca Barna, Anca Barna isn't playing 10k challengers. Tennis is a selfish sport, and Elke is no exception to that. What it comes down to is tournament directors making the final decision. Nobody is putting a gun to their head saying they must give Elke a wildcard, so it is up to them to stand up for their own players and give them the wildcards they deserve. I am not saying the Clijsters family is 'right', but as I said, tennis is a selfish sport, everyone knows that, and at the end of the day the people responsible are the people who decide who gets those wildcards.

*JR*
Oct 22nd, 2003, 02:51 PM
Why should Elke Clijsters care about Anca Barna getting a wildcard? She is probably not friends with Anca Barna, Anca Barna isn't playing 10k challengers. It's not a matter of her caring about Anca (I presume the Clijsters Clan has robbed others, INCLUDING higher-ranked compatriot Caroline Maes for example). What you're in effect saying is that if Elke can get away with ethically indefensible behavior because a tournament doesn't tell Lei and Kim to go fuck themselves, the standards we (hopefully) honor in our everyday lives don't count. Sorry, stealing is stealing, legal or not.

bandabou
Oct 22nd, 2003, 03:13 PM
I think itīs just the tournament-directors and specially the Clijsters-family who have to stop awarding and asking for wildcard for Elke respectively.

The tournament-directors surely must know that Elke ainīt going anywhere with her career in singles and that there are plenty of other more deserving players whom have much much more potential than Elke( not that it is that hard to have more potential than Elke).

The Clijsters-family for just accepting and recognizing that playing against the top guns on the wta-tour ainīt helping Elke going anywhere, if she ever will, and should just leave her play at the challenger level to keep building on her game and hope that SOME day sheīll win a match on tour level.

mishar
Oct 22nd, 2003, 03:15 PM
Of course anca should have gotten the wild card, and Elke not - but wild cards are by their nature unfair. I don't really see how ethics enters into it.

disposablehero
Oct 22nd, 2003, 04:32 PM
For those of you dickheads who have been sarcastically declaring "I can't believe Elke won so many games". "Elke must have played her best tennis ever", "Elke wasn't expected to do this", a few simple facts.

Elek has recieved exactly 6 main draw wildcards in the past 2 years, and none before. 2 to Leipzig, 2 in Antwerp, 1 in Brussels, and 1 in Luxembourg. Those with even a passing knowledge of geography might notice a pattern. (I'll give you a hint: Leipzig is not in New York State)

This is the 2nd FEWEST games she has won.

*JR*
Oct 22nd, 2003, 05:09 PM
Again, let me reply to 2 posts. To mishar, are there always debatable points re. WC's: yes. (Obviously the "Anna factor" was the most prevelant, but to her credit she "hopped off that train" B4 the injuries returned this spring to play small events and get some serious match time, etc.) Is there a "perfect" system, no? Should "regional talent" be showcased, sure. And do career achievements count for returnees ala (either) Martina, Sandrine, or whoever, you bet. Elke fail on all those counts (plus potential, ala Michaella's into Rosmalen this year). As stated B4, Maes is a better Flemish player, BTW.To DH: if Elke only got Tier III or under and only in the Benelux (ala Seat), not an exemplary use of them, but not such a big deal. But Tier II or above, ESPECIALLY outside the Benelux, ala Leipzig: what rationale other than a blatant payoff for Kim's presence? Figure one out and you deserve a Nobel prize.

GoDominique
Oct 22nd, 2003, 06:06 PM
For those of you dickheads who have been sarcastically declaring "I can't believe Elke won so many games". "Elke must have played her best tennis ever", "Elke wasn't expected to do this", a few simple facts.

Elek has recieved exactly 6 main draw wildcards in the past 2 years, and none before. 2 to Leipzig, 2 in Antwerp, 1 in Brussels, and 1 in Luxembourg. Those with even a passing knowledge of geography might notice a pattern. (I'll give you a hint: Leipzig is not in New York State)

This is the 2nd FEWEST games she has won.
Uh, yes I was sarcastic. I knew Elke wouldn't get double-bagled. But I also knew that she would definitely lose and most likely not win a set, as she had never done that before. In her six attemps, she has only once won more than six games (against Patty, which doesn't mean much).
The fact remains that she has no realistic chance of winning a MD draw = a WC for her doesn't make sense and is wasted. Elke is satellite and not WTA level.

bandabou
Oct 22nd, 2003, 06:13 PM
The fact remains that she has no realistic chance of winning a MD draw = a WC for her doesn't make sense and is wasted. Elke is satellite and not WTA level.

DANG and OUCH!!

disposablehero
Oct 22nd, 2003, 10:35 PM
Another sad thing is that this whole business is tainting Kim's career.

An interesting theory, but lets drop all pretenses here. There are about 15 people in the entire world who actually care about this "issue", and they all post on this message board. The vast majority is completely unaware that Kim has a sister, and wouldn't care about the dispensation of wildcards even if they understood it.

bandabou
Oct 22nd, 2003, 10:46 PM
There are about 15 people in the entire world who actually care about this "issue", and they all post on this message board.

You mean that is the amount of people who knows Kim Clijsters world wide?! DANG!!