View Full Version : Vocabulary Question... help, please...

Oct 20th, 2003, 01:28 PM
Guys, I'm writing something, and I need your help. What do you call those tall things that you see at the exits at a supermarket or retail stores? I'm talking about the things that start beeping when somebody's shoplifting.

Are they "product detectors," "product sensors," "antitheft gates," "security gates," "security detectors," "security sensors," or some other phrase?

If you know the answer, please, please help. Thanks...

Oct 20th, 2003, 03:04 PM
I think the correct term is "annoying door alarm that starts beeping when you leave the shop even though you've paid, consequently embarassing you in front of all the other shoppers and having people point at you and shout 'thief' "

Hope that helps :)

Seriously though, I don't really think they have a specific name. I'd just call it a "door alarm" or "secrutiy gate" or something. Is it really *that* important... :confused:
you forgot "and systematically beep when you've bought condoms" I saw it last week, a 50 year old man goes through the gate starts beeping, the cassier takes the condoms out with a very obvious move...puts the condoms apart throught the gate it beeps again, she laughs very hard and gives them back to the old guy :lol: