PDA

View Full Version : Chanda is a top 10 player. Deal with it!!

switz
Oct 20th, 2003, 07:33 AM
i posted this in another thread, but i thought i would open it up for wider discussion.

people always use injuries as an excuse for their favourite players falling back in the rankings and struggling with form, but they rarely extend that consideration to others. chanda has missed three extended parts of this season due to injuries. twice she came back and struggled and everyone said "rubin is doing nothing and doesn't deserve to be ranked where she is.", and twice she proved them dead wrong.

after getting injured at toyko she didn't play for about 5 weeks, returned at scottsdale and lost to granville, and the everyone got her back. the next week she made the quarters of indian wells defeating the red hot sugiyama and losing to champ clijsters. she then beat mauremo 6-0, 6-2 and henin 6-2, 6-3 in miami before losing to capriati. then she gets injured, misses another 5 weeks. She comes back at hamburg and lost to an in form serna and loses to loit the next week in Rome. Once again everyone gets on back saying she's doing nothing and will be ranked outside the top 15 by the end of year.

Then she wins Madrid, makes the quarters of Roland Garros, and wins Eastbourne and everyone shuts up. Chanda turns up to wimbledon, plays a bad 3rd round match and loses to an inform farina-elia who makes her first GS quarter-final and takes a set off clijsters.

Chanda plays fed cup and wins both her matches to save the US after top players pull out. Plays San Diego and loses in the quarters to Davenport and once again gets injured. Chanda can't play LA where she is defending champion or any other lead ups to the US Open, and thus turns up considerably underdone and loses to kento-kabichi, a player who has risen dramatically through the rankings making 5 semi-finals from san diego to liepzig (beating two of the aforementioned threats to chanda in dokic and petrova in straight sets)

Chanda makes consecutive finals in Bali and Shanghai losing to top 8 dementieva on both occasions.

Comes to indoor season where she rarely plays consistantly well, beats zvonareva (a supposed deserving top 10 player) , loses to maleeva. Loses to dokic. the eventual finalist in the 1st round of zurich in a tough 3 set match.

Chanda is not playing well at the moment, but she's still competing and is still winning. Time and time again throughout this year and indeed her entire career she has proven people who put her down to be wrong, and has always fought back. I don't understand why after all this time people haven't caught onto the fact that chanda can, and always does catch fire at any point, even in the middle of a match, and plays well for a long period of time. a couple of 'bad' tournaments and the majority of people just write her off as if she's nothing compared to these russian girls who are just so unbelievablely strong. chanda has fought her way into the top 10 after falling way down in the rankings on three seperate occasions. people always seem to think she has to prove herself, but IMO it's these up and coming russians that really have to prove themselves, as petrova, bovina and zvonareva have all showed signs of significant weakness in both playing consistantly well for more than a couple of weeks (petrova and bovina) and also in having the mental strength to win matches (zvonareva). you can argue that the gap between them and chanda is nothing, but if you go and give chanda 600 points them she's ranked number 5 in the world, so it must be a little more significant than some of you make it sound.

i'm not criticising the young russians, because they are all great players, i just hate the way chanda does not get enough respect. she is ranked in the top 10 in the race and the rankings (even after not defending a tournament where she gained over 400 points), and she deserves to be there.

switz
Oct 20th, 2003, 07:34 AM
i know that no one will read this thread because the post is no unbelivably long, but i just had to get it out of my system.

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 20th, 2003, 07:45 AM
No, it's a good post. Allez Chanda!

tazban1
Oct 20th, 2003, 07:36 PM
:confused: I admit that I don't read every single post, but I don't recall too many people criticizing Chanda for her ranking. Actually, I don't remember anyone but I'm assuming there's some. If anything, Chanda seems to be one of the few prominent "neutral" players that people in general don't have a problem with.

pReUrBrIyN
Oct 21st, 2003, 11:56 PM
i posted this in another thread, but i thought i would open it up for wider discussion.

people always use injuries as an excuse for their favourite players falling back in the rankings and struggling with form, but they rarely extend that consideration to others. chanda has missed three extended parts of this season due to injuries. twice she came back and struggled and everyone said "rubin is doing nothing and doesn't deserve to be ranked where she is.", and twice she proved them dead wrong.

after getting injured at toyko she didn't play for about 5 weeks, returned at scottsdale and lost to granville, and the everyone got her back. the next week she made the quarters of indian wells defeating the red hot sugiyama and losing to champ clijsters. she then beat mauremo 6-0, 6-2 and henin 6-2, 6-3 in miami before losing to capriati. then she gets injured, misses another 5 weeks. She comes back at hamburg and lost to an in form serna and loses to loit the next week in Rome. Once again everyone gets on back saying she's doing nothing and will be ranked outside the top 15 by the end of year.

Then she wins Madrid, makes the quarters of Roland Garros, and wins Eastbourne and everyone shuts up. Chanda turns up to wimbledon, plays a bad 3rd round match and loses to an inform farina-elia who makes her first GS quarter-final and takes a set off clijsters.

Chanda plays fed cup and wins both her matches to save the US after top players pull out. Plays San Diego and loses in the quarters to Davenport and once again gets injured. Chanda can't play LA where she is defending champion or any other lead ups to the US Open, and thus turns up considerably underdone and loses to kento-kabichi, a player who has risen dramatically through the rankings making 5 semi-finals from san diego to liepzig (beating two of the aforementioned threats to chanda in dokic and petrova in straight sets)

Chanda makes consecutive finals in Bali and Shanghai losing to top 8 dementieva on both occasions.

Comes to indoor season where she rarely plays consistantly well, beats zvonareva (a supposed deserving top 10 player) , loses to maleeva. Loses to dokic. the eventual finalist in the 1st round of zurich in a tough 3 set match.

Chanda is not playing well at the moment, but she's still competing and is still winning. Time and time again throughout this year and indeed her entire career she has proven people who put her down to be wrong, and has always fought back. I don't understand why after all this time people haven't caught onto the fact that chanda can, and always does catch fire at any point, even in the middle of a match, and plays well for a long period of time. a couple of 'bad' tournaments and the majority of people just write her off as if she's nothing compared to these russian girls who are just so unbelievablely strong. chanda has fought her way into the top 10 after falling way down in the rankings on three seperate occasions. people always seem to think she has to prove herself, but IMO it's these up and coming russians that really have to prove themselves, as petrova, bovina and zvonareva have all showed signs of significant weakness in both playing consistantly well for more than a couple of weeks (petrova and bovina) and also in having the mental strength to win matches (zvonareva). you can argue that the gap between them and chanda is nothing, but if you go and give chanda 600 points them she's ranked number 5 in the world, so it must be a little more significant than some of you make it sound.

i'm not criticising the young russians, because they are all great players, i just hate the way chanda does not get enough respect. she is ranked in the top 10 in the race and the rankings (even after not defending a tournament where she gained over 400 points), and she deserves to be there.

I agree, people don't give Chanda respect.

I sort of feel bad for in a way. Anyways good luck Chanda at Luxembourg and win win win!

esquímaux
Oct 22nd, 2003, 12:14 AM
I will always like Chanda Rubin! Two words.....Chanda Rubin.

Bероника
Oct 22nd, 2003, 12:19 AM
Go Chanda!!!

ally baker
Oct 22nd, 2003, 12:21 AM
Who doesn't think Chanda deserves to be in the Top 10? :confused:

LiliaLee-Frazier
Oct 22nd, 2003, 12:35 AM
CHANDA is a solid TOP 10 player who can BEAT any top layer at anytime, including the belgians and williams. Now..on the other side..she can also lose to almost any player when those wild errors start to creep into her game..aka..US OPEN 1ST RD :sad:

Good luck in Luxenburg CHANDA and then its off to Philly! :bounce: :bounce:

kyk710
Oct 22nd, 2003, 02:50 AM
Great Post!!!!! I also think Chanda is one of the most underrated players in women's tennis - Just ask Serena, Justine, Lindsay, or Jennifer ;)

Gowza
Oct 22nd, 2003, 02:54 AM
chanda is kind of a patty schnyder but with a different game and a more consistent player. as said above she can beat any player at anytime but can also lose to almost any player.

switz
Oct 22nd, 2003, 03:21 AM
chanda is kind of a patty schnyder but with a different game and a more consistent player. as said above she can beat any player at anytime but can also lose to almost any player.

that must really say something about me, because they are my favourite players. in fact is you look at my top six you'll probably notice that i'm a sucker for players with problems - patty, chanda, mary, myriam, babsi and anna.

chanda's inconsistant play comes down to her constant injury problems IMO. if you look at her record this year, the only bad losses she has had have been after coming back from injury to granville, serna, loit and vento-kabichi. i think your doing pretty well when these are players that are considered bad losses. her record this year is pretty darn good IMO considering she can never play long enough to keep her momentum.

adidas International
*Jan 5-Jan 10
Hard
First Round
Elena Dementieva
W
6-3, 7-5

Second Round
Alexandra Stevenson
W
6-1, 6-3

Quarterfinals
Kim Clijsters
L
1-6, 2-6

*Australian Open
*Jan 12-Jan 26
Hard
First Round
Melinda Czink
W
6-4, 7-5

Second Round
Mary Pierce
W
0-6, 6-4, 6-2

Third Round
Barbara Schwartz
W
6-3, 6-2

Fourth Round
Anastasia Myskina
L
6-4, 4-6, 1-6

*Pan Pacific Open
*Jan 27-Feb 2
Carpet
Second Round
Katarina Srebotnik
W
6-4, 6-0

Quarterfinals
Elena Dementieva
W
3-6, 6-1, 6-3

Semifinals
Monica Seles
L
6-4, 4-6, 2-6

*State Farm Classic
*Feb 24-Mar 2
Hard
First Round
Jill Craybas
W
6-3, 6-1

Second Round
Laura Granville
L
6-4, 2-6, 1-6

*Pacific Life Open
*Mar 3-Mar 16
Hard
Fourth Round
Ai Sugiyama
W
0-6, 6-4, 6-4

Quarterfinals
Kim Clijsters
L
2-6, 3-6

*Nasdaq 100 Open
*Mar 17-Mar 30
Hard
Second Round
Carly Gullickson
W
6-2, 7-5

Third Round
Katarina Srebotnik
W
6-2, 6-2

Fourth Round
Amelie Mauresmo
W
6-0, 6-2

Quarterfinals
Justine Henin-Hardenne
W
6-3, 6-2

Semifinals
Jennifer Capriati
L
2-6, 4-6

*German Open
*May 5-May 11
Clay
Second Round
Magui Serna
L
5-7, 3-6

*Italian Masters
*May 12-May 18
Clay
Second Round
Emilie Loit
L
2-6, 6-1, 3-6

*Madrid Open
*May 19-May 25
Clay
Second Round
Ivana Lisjak
W
7-6 (7-5), 6-1

Quarterfinals
Paola Suarez
W
6-2, 6-4

Semifinals
Iroda Tulyaganova
W
6-0, 6-4

Final
Maria Sanchez Lorenzo
W
6-4, 5-7, 6-4

*French Open
*May 26-Jun 8
Clay
First Round
Henrieta Nagyova
W
6-2, 6-4

Second Round
Cara Black
W
7-6 (8-6), 6-3

Third Round
Laura Granville
W
2-6, 6-1, 6-3

Fourth Round
Petra Mandula
W
4-6, 6-2, 7-5

Quarterfinals
Justine Henin-Hardenne
L
3-6, 2-6

*Hastings Direct Int'l Championships
*Jun 16-Jun 22
Grass
Second Round
Tamarine Tanasugarn
W
6-0, 6-3

Quarterfinals
Anna Pistolesi
W
6-1, 6-0

Semifinals
Jennifer Capriati
W
2-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-2

Final
Conchita Martinez
W
6-4, 3-6, 6-4

*Wimbledon Championships
*Jun 23-Jul 6
Grass
First Round
Iva Majoli
W
6-3, 6-0

Second Round
Amy Frazier
W
6-4, 6-4

Third Round
Silvia Farina Elia
L
6-7 (6-8), 3-6

*Acura Classic
*Jul 28-Aug 3
Hard
Second Round
Tina Pisnik
W
7-5, 6-0

Third Round
Jelena Dokic
W
1-6, 6-3, 6-4

Quarterfinals
Lindsay Davenport
L
3-6, 3-6

*U.S. Open
*Aug 25-Sep 7
Hard
First Round
Maria Vento-Kabchi
L
4-6, 4-6

*Wismilak International
*Sep 8-Sep 14
Hard
Second Round
Maria Sanchez Lorenzo
W
6-2, 6-2

Quarterfinals
Anca Barna
W
6-2, 6-2

Semifinals
Saori Obata
W
6-2, 7-5

Final
Elena Dementieva
L
2-6, 1-6

*Shanghai Open
*Sep 15-Sep 21
Hard
Second Round
Barbara Schett
W
7-6 (7-1), 6-2

Quarterfinals
Anca Barna
W
6-1, 6-4

Final
Elena Dementieva
L
3-6, 6-7 (6-8)

Semifinals
Akiko Morigami
W
6-0, 5-7, 6-3

*Porsche Tennis Grand Prix
*Oct 6-Oct 12
Hard
First Round
Vera Zvonareva
W
1-6, 6-4, 6-3

Second Round
Magdalena Maleeva
L
3-6, 4-6

*Swisscom Challenge
*Oct 13-Oct 19
Hard
First Round
Jelena Dokic
L
1-6, 7-5, 4-6

Ballbuster
Oct 22nd, 2003, 03:21 AM
Because of the William Sistahs, Most Americans don't even know who that woman is.

switz
Oct 22nd, 2003, 03:25 AM
Because of the William Sistahs, Most Americans don't even know who that woman is.

most americans don't know very much about anything.

gweeny
Oct 22nd, 2003, 03:27 AM
Well I don't know how popular Chanda was in the early 90s when Venus and Serena were not in the mix, but I think she has been overshadowed by the Williams sisters. And her personality is not the type in which people would notice. If Kim was just a top 10-12 player she would also not be as popular. Even Lindsay has a no1 player did not get the recognition she deserved. I read in Venus Envy that when she and Martina Hingis were boarding a plane, Hingis could carry her tennis rackets as a carry on luggage, but Lindsay had to tell them that she was a top player or something like that.

Ballbuster
Oct 22nd, 2003, 03:28 AM
most americans don't know very much about anything.

Other than the fact that we Rule!

Wasn't Chanda that black that lost in the first round of the US Open?

She's not making it easy for us to support her.

tennnisfannn
Oct 22nd, 2003, 03:29 AM
I dont agree people don't think Chanda should be in the top ten. Like someone said she is one of those neutral players that don't get talked about much unless she wins big or loses big. I would put Myskina and Sugiyama in the same category. They are great players but there is a group of players they will stuggle to get past but one in a while they will take down a big name. For them if circumstances alighned themselvs just right, they can win a huge tourny.

switz
Oct 22nd, 2003, 03:37 AM
people don't start threads saying chanda shouldn't be there, but i started this thread after reading discussion in 4 seperate threads indirectly and directly suggesting that chanda isn't good enough anymore, and that she would soon be out of it. i didn't just decide to write this essay length post for no particular reason.

many people see chanda lose two matches and suddenly they claim she is in awful form and will be gone soon. of course it's not everyone, but throughout this year i have noticed that whenever chanda loses a match people seem to give up on her. i consider myself an objective fan, so i didn't just go and write this because of what one person said. i was motivated by this salient theme throughout the year in many people's posts indicating that it's only a matter of time before chanda is overtaken.

VivalaSeles
Oct 22nd, 2003, 03:43 AM
Chanda always had top10 talent and is a top10 player :worship:

switz
Oct 22nd, 2003, 03:49 AM
Other than the fact that we Rule!

Wasn't Chanda that black that lost in the first round of the US Open?

She's not making it easy for us to support her.

you must be very proud that you were born in the dominant hegemon that the whole world dispises. you rule, but you don't even choose who rules you. or were you one of the 25% of your population who actually voted in your presidential election? you must love george bush, what a great representative for the african-american community. like anyone cares what you think. you openly admit that you're as fickle as they come. you're worse than the people who only support their own race, because at least they have some kind of loyalty and purpose in their narrow mindset, whereas you only support the successful members of your own race, which is just indicative of what kind of human being you are.

i'm not even going to come back into this thread because i refuse to waste anymore valuable time arguing with the likes of you.

switz
Oct 22nd, 2003, 03:50 AM
and you're now just the second person to be initiated on my ignore list! congratulations!!

pReUrBrIyN
Oct 22nd, 2003, 03:53 AM
people don't start threads saying chanda shouldn't be there, but i started this thread after reading discussion in 4 seperate threads indirectly and directly suggesting that chanda isn't good enough anymore, and that she would soon be out of it. i didn't just decide to write this essay length post for no particular reason.

many people see chanda lose two matches and suddenly they claim she is in awful form and will be gone soon. of course it's not everyone, but throughout this year i have noticed that whenever chanda loses a match people seem to give up on her. i consider myself an objective fan, so i didn't just go and write this because of what one person said. i was motivated by this salient theme throughout the year in many people's posts indicating that it's only a matter of time before chanda is overtaken.

I never have and never will give up on her.

ptkten
Oct 22nd, 2003, 04:06 AM
Why do posters get all worked up about posters like Ballbuster, they don't represent true Williams fans or true Americans, they are just here to get a rise out of everyone on the board, so just laugh them off. Don't criticize all of America because of one poster.

ally baker
Oct 22nd, 2003, 04:08 AM
Why do posters get all worked up about posters like Ballbuster, they don't represent true Williams fans or true Americans, they are just here to get a rise out of everyone on the board, so just laugh them off. Don't criticize all of America because of one poster.
Because Ballbuster is a troll that is part of a minority that the leaders of the board can relate with... so basically, he can say whatever he wants and we have to like it.

switz
Oct 22nd, 2003, 04:20 AM

don't take my words to much to heart. i wasn't trying to make some sort of political statement or make the generalisation that all americans are like ballbuster. i laugh it off most of time, but sometimes it get to much and it and it i just find i have to show what i really think of posters like him/her.

Ballbuster
Oct 22nd, 2003, 04:36 AM
and you're know just the second person to be initiated on my ignore list! congratulations!!

YaY!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Now I can talk about you and don't have to hear your whinny posts.

Ballbuster
Oct 22nd, 2003, 04:43 AM
you must be very proud that you were born in the nt hegemon that the whole world dispises. you rule, but you don't even choose who rules you. or were you one of the 25% of your population who actually voted in your presidential election? you must love george bush, what a great representative for the african-american community. like anyone cares what you think. you openly admit that you're as fickle as they come. you're worse than the people who only support their own race, because at least they have some kind of loyalty and purpose in their narrow mindset, whereas you only support the successful members of your own race, which is just indicative of what kind of human being you are.

i'm not even going to come back into this thread because i refuse to waste anymore valuable time arguing with the likes of you.

At least here in Amerikka, I can buy a computer, a drop top, a condo, and go where I likes and tell everybody that don't like it to kiss my ass!

No, Bush stole that election!

I don't have to support Chanda no more than I can pick Lennox Lewis over Mike Tyson.

Of course, I support the successful members of my race, hell we worked hard for our scratch. As for poor blacks, I'm down with the cause. But I'm not backing nobody who wants to feel sorry for themselves and wants a handout. I give hand UPs!

Don't get it twisted, now Switz(ch) on down the threads.