PDA

View Full Version : Kim in Luxembourg

Sharapower
Oct 20th, 2003, 05:49 AM
What the hell is the world #2 doing in a 225 000 $ Tier III at this period of the year ??
She had better win the title or she will be ridiculous.

skanky~skanketta
Oct 20th, 2003, 05:50 AM
lol!she's won it 3 times in a row i think.she better win though.she really should have played linz since she wanted to play so badly!:rolleyes:

its ok kim. do your best. just make sure you win the AO next year.

DutchieGirl
Oct 20th, 2003, 05:54 AM
Maybe she just likes the tourney??? That's possible!

azza
Oct 20th, 2003, 06:08 AM
elke

DutchieGirl
Oct 20th, 2003, 06:20 AM
elke

Kim was playing the Luxembourg tourney before Elke even started on the main tour idiot!

per4ever
Oct 20th, 2003, 06:44 AM
Sarah..Kim wasn't number one in the beginning ;)

She's the number 2 in the world, she shouldn't play this tournament. She only plays it because she likes it, and because Kim plays Elke got a WC ;)

drapero
Oct 20th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Oh come on, leave her alone...She can do what ever she wants.

switz
Oct 20th, 2003, 07:10 AM
i'm not a clijsters fan, but i think it's good for top players to sometimes breath life into these otherwise quite dull tournaments. not all the time, because you want the lower players to have a shot at the title most of time obviously. i don't she does it for the points, as they don't even count in her ranking, she does it because she's won it 3 times and obviously feels obligated and or likes to play it

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 20th, 2003, 07:38 AM
Yeah, it's good to see a top player occassionally turn up at a small tournament. Good for Kim.

I just hope that Dani can make some impact.

switz
Oct 20th, 2003, 07:58 AM
Yeah, it's good to see a top player occassionally turn up at a small tournament. Good for Kim.

I just hope that Dani can make some impact.

i think she's playing linz not luxembourg

kim4eva
Oct 20th, 2003, 08:26 AM

She's the number 2 in the world, she shouldn't play this tournament. She only plays it because she likes it, and because Kim plays Elke got a WC ;)

There's nothing wrong for a tennis player to play in a tennis tournament if she chose to.

Smart
Oct 20th, 2003, 08:30 AM
IMO this isn't a wise decision to play week after week. Kim was already tired in the semifinal in Zurich and she still played doublest there. And now she's playing in Lux again this week. Stupid but, yeah, maybe she knows better herself.

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 20th, 2003, 08:42 AM
Whoops, yr right. What was I thinking?

tfannis
Oct 20th, 2003, 10:04 AM
She just enjoys the tourny....it was her first WTA win in her career...why not go back because of those nice memories...
Plus it's the last tournament near home...she loves playing in Europe...it's the last possibilty this year...
leave her alone :rolleyes:

Good luck Kim :)

Peetz
Oct 20th, 2003, 10:27 AM
The reason why Kim plays Luxemburg is quite simple!It was her first tournament she ever won and since then she won it 2 times!She almost ever said that she likes the tournament very much and she can even drive by car to it!So she has no feeling of obligation to play it but it is only comfortable for her!In fact when she was #1 WTA rules did not permit her to play Luxemburg but somehow organisers managed to get her this year!

And you all have to agree that it is easier to defend a Tier 3 than a Tier 2 title!So playing Linz would not have helped her much cause she would have lost all Luxemburg 2002 points and nobody knows what she would have gotten instead at Linz(with henin playing there)!With Dementieva and Maleeva withdrawing there is no real threath for her 4th Luxemburg title!On the other side Henin will have much more work at Linz!

I wish Kim all the best but it would be nice from her if she could let Claudine win the 2nd round match! ;)

Go Ladies! :kiss:

DutchieGirl
Oct 20th, 2003, 12:09 PM

I never said she was #2 in the beginning... that wasn't my point. My point is, if she likes the tourney, why not play there? Just coz it's a smaller tier tourney doesn't mean she can't play it! It's close to home, and her first tourney win so...

bandabou
Oct 20th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Hey ya all know the drill.....if you wanna see Elke play, better let Kim show up too! It ainīt only the Clijsters who can put pressure, you know! ;)

arn
Oct 20th, 2003, 12:39 PM
Serena wanted to play this tournament 2 years ago but withdrew at the latest moment because of injury. Not much difference.

~|Naomi|~
Oct 22nd, 2003, 04:30 AM
Serena wanted to play this tournament 2 years ago but withdrew at the latest moment because of injury. Not much difference.

Apparently it is a huge difference to those who love to constantly trash Kim :o

But great point. In fact all this shows is she doesn't play a high amount of tournaments to obtain points like so many people say but rather because she enjoys the game of tennis and plays where she gets the most enjoyment not where she can get the most money or points.

FanDeJen
Oct 22nd, 2003, 04:52 AM
Why is Kim playing here? Isnīt there a rule that doesnīt allow a top 10 player to play in a tierIII if thereīs a higher level tournament on the same week.

~|Naomi|~
Oct 22nd, 2003, 04:59 AM
Why is Kim playing here? Isnīt there a rule that doesnīt allow a top 10 player to play in a tierIII if thereīs a higher level tournament on the same week.

then shouldn't you be complaining about rubin being here as well?

But to answer your question you can get special exemption and Kim did that she always plays here regardless of her ranking for the reasons stated above except for the one about Elke getting a WC if she plays, Kim committed to the tournament months ago and Kim has said in fact in an interview in Zurich that once she is committed to something she plays and gives 100%

CamilleVidann
Oct 22nd, 2003, 05:07 AM
I like Kim all the more for playing in lower tier tournaments. That goes to show she's not playing just for rankings but she loves playing the game whatever little is at stake.

Peetz
Oct 22nd, 2003, 05:51 AM
Instead of asking why Kim is playing in Luxemburg you should ask why Luxemburg is not upgraded to a Tier 2!I mean just have a look at the initial committment list! Clijsters #1, Dementieva#8 , Rubin#9 and Maleeva#11!!!

The Seat open is the only real sports event here in Luxemburg and instead of having a good teenis federation(just remember that Luxemburg has two top 100 players with Anne Kremerīs protected ranking of 25 :eek: :eek: ),people just talk about football and completly forget that we loose (in general) to the worst football nations 0-15 or something like that! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Tennis_IS_Fun
Oct 22nd, 2003, 05:51 AM
no, it's just that the Tier III tournaments wont count
as one of the requirement # of tournaments for
gold exempt players, i think it's 14 or something,
check WTA rule handbook.........
but lots of TOP 10 players pla Tier III, Monica Seles,
Jelena playing down to Tier IV..:rolleyes: when she was TOP 10,
one of the Tier III grass tournie haD 3 TOP 10,
it's not that uncommon.....plus Kim isnt #1 in the world anyways,
no need to think too much into this.....
just think if she is #1 in the world playing Tier III....
this is gonna be one bad week for her, but luckily, she's not:)

Peetz
Oct 22nd, 2003, 05:56 AM
she was #1 when she committed!

Sharapower
Oct 22nd, 2003, 05:59 AM
I didn't know Kim won her first title there, so I understand there are "sentimental" reasons.
Anyway, though it's not a rule or anything, these very top players would act fairly to leave the low tier tourneys to the lower ranked players in order to give them a little chance.
By the way Someone talked about Dani, she played Linz but it would have be better she played in Luxembourg cause she got crushed by Jelena in the first round.
The Logic would be Kim in Linz and Dani in Luxembourg.

Dava
Oct 22nd, 2003, 08:29 AM
Can anyone say "apperance fee"

tennnisfannn
Oct 22nd, 2003, 09:41 AM
In 2001 Hingis played Dubai and Doha and was constantly ridicules by commentators like McEnroe who said she had to go all the way to the middles east to win a title. The next year Venus and Mauresmo played Dubal and suddenly Dubai wasn't so bad after all. This year we had Henin, Seles and I think Jen.
Hingis made it possible for Dubai to be the tourny it is today and I am sure Kim is gonna do wonders for Luxembourg. If only it wasn't tucked away in the indoor season just before the end!

Calvin
Oct 22nd, 2003, 12:11 PM
she was #1 when she committed!

she committed after winning last year, when she was barely in the top 10...

JackFrost
Oct 22nd, 2003, 01:52 PM
Well, itīs her body. But I wonīt hear her cry at the Masters, if she has no more energy and when she suffers with tireness. Its her own fault.

7~ŒLęV3ņ―
Oct 22nd, 2003, 05:15 PM
In 2001 Hingis played Dubai and Doha and was constantly ridicules by commentators like McEnroe who said she had to go all the way to the middles east to win a title. The next year Venus and Mauresmo played Dubal and suddenly Dubai wasn't so bad after all. This year we had Henin, Seles and I think Jen.
Hingis made it possible for Dubai to be the tourny it is today and I am sure Kim is gonna do wonders for Luxembourg. If only it wasn't tucked away in the indoor season just before the end!

Dubai is a tier II
:unsure: