PDA

View Full Version : Non GS Points too high? or should QP go?

Instant
Oct 19th, 2003, 08:40 PM
I think they are.

Maggie Maleeva fell from vying for the top 10 to struggling to stay in the top 20 after Moscow fell off.

Pattys ranking has dived from 18 to 28 after Zurich.

Jelena Dokic is now in the top 15.

Based on form this year, Maggie and Patty are now ranked about where they should be.

Very few people would honestly believe Dokic should be in the top 20, let alone the top 15 on her form this year, yet there she is and it is because of ONE tournament

I think they should either lower the points for non-GS tournaments or drop the quality points altogether in non-GS tournaments.

What do you Think?

Rtael
Oct 19th, 2003, 08:41 PM
no.

Rtael
Oct 19th, 2003, 08:41 PM
Besides, the reason Dokic is staying up there is because of her high seedings up until this point in the year where she could get byes or easy players in the early rounds....

starr
Oct 19th, 2003, 08:43 PM
Oh my gosh. They have already raised the points for GS tournaments already. Should we make it so that non-GS tournaments just don't count at all.

In fact........ why even have a WTA tour?

XMan
Oct 19th, 2003, 08:57 PM
Actually, I think that the GS points should drop. GS are 'overrated' in the litteral sense of the word. We don't need number one's who play only 8 to 10 tournaments.

Warrior
Oct 19th, 2003, 09:03 PM
Actually, I think that the GS points should drop. GS are 'overrated' in the litteral sense of the word. We don't need number one's who play only 8 to 10 tournaments.

I agree. Women's GSs are not at the same level of competition as in men's tennis. But they are considered just as important.

Volcana
Oct 19th, 2003, 09:42 PM
Very few people would honestly believe Dokic should be in the top 20, let alone the top 15 on her form this year, yet there she is and it is because of ONE tournament.

These four tournaments had a lot to do with her ranking

2002-11-04 156 QF WTA Champs
2003-04-28 119 SF Warsaw
2003-03-17 118 QF Miami
2003-04-07 100 QF Charleston

The question is not 'should she be ranked #14?' The question is, 'is there any one ranked below her who should be ranked above her?'

The answer is no.

The only reason the rankings exist is to have a fair way of seeding tournaments.

disposablehero
Oct 19th, 2003, 10:30 PM
Why do we have non-GS tournaments, anyhow? Wouldn't we all be better off getting rid of all them and just having those 8 weeks a year? Then we wouldn't have people complaining about the season being too long, either.

cheo23
Oct 20th, 2003, 12:03 AM
Well We need like Tier 1 and Tier 2 Tournaments..but I agree they should kinda lower those Quality points..and the Grand Slams are very important and backbone of the WTA Tour.

-Sonic-
Oct 20th, 2003, 12:07 AM
I dunno, wasn't Dokic's quality points a big factor in her getting that huge point haul last week? If they went higher, she would be ranked higher. She also got a good few Bye's in the past year, so needing to do less to get those QF's etc.

I think maybe the double quality points at Grand Slams are a bit excessive. Maybe x 1.5 instead of x 2.

disposablehero
Oct 20th, 2003, 12:26 AM
the Grand Slams are very important and backbone of the WTA Tour.

The WTA is in a pretty sorry state if the "backbone" of the tour isn't even part of the tour.

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 20th, 2003, 12:34 AM
Maybe we should just have one big tournament somewhere. None of us want to watch tennis live anyway.

(Sarcasm alert.)

7~LV3
Oct 20th, 2003, 12:51 AM
If you think of it this way... put players rank 100-108.. put them in one tournament... so i guess that the one who goes deeper into the tournament gets more points rite, thus having a better ranking no matter who she defeats.

For dokic... I thikn that its fair enought where she is ranked... after playing about 28 tournaments. ms Venus needs to play only 6 to be ranked 6-8??

Well anyway, just check the Porche Race thing, sometimes its a good comparison to the current ranking...

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 20th, 2003, 12:55 AM
The quality points often seem to me to give an intuitively better ranking than the official ranking does.

Volcana
Oct 20th, 2003, 12:57 AM
dh - I'm not sure you made your point, so I'll spell it out for our lesser lights. The Slams are in NO WAY part of, or controlled by, the WTA.

Lisbeth
Oct 20th, 2003, 04:05 AM
Oh my gosh. They have already raised the points for GS tournaments already. Should we make it so that non-GS tournaments just don't count at all.

In fact........ why even have a WTA tour?

My sentiments exactly - if they fiddle the rankings any more in favour of GSs then they might as say you don't deserve to ever see the top 5 unless you live in Melbourne, Paris, London or New York.

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 20th, 2003, 05:25 AM
Exactly right.

DutchieGirl
Oct 20th, 2003, 12:18 PM
yup, agreed! GS points are already well high enough!

btw, since when SHOULD Patty be ranked 28? What are you basing that on? She has been top ten - she has talent, and beats big name players (OK, not consistently, but she still does beat them). That happens to count for something. Dokic beat the #1 player(Kim was #1 last week), the #18 player, and reached the final in Switz...hence the big points total. That can happen for alot of players, have a good tourney, watch you total fly up - but hey, if you can beat the big players, then you deserve the points!

Instant
Oct 20th, 2003, 12:27 PM
yup, agreed! GS points are already well high enough!

btw, since when SHOULD Patty be ranked 28? What are you basing that on? She has been top ten - she has talent, and beats big name players (OK, not consistently, but she still does beat them). That happens to count for something. Dokic beat the #1 player(Kim was #1 last week), the #18 player, and reached the final in Switz...hence the big points total. That can happen for alot of players, have a good tourney, watch you total fly up - but hey, if you can beat the big players, then you deserve the points!

I was refering to Pattys form in 03 only.
I didn't mention anything about changing GS points.
I just don't think one good tournament should have you in the top 15.