PDA

View Full Version : First to Top Ten (Again)

Volcana
Oct 19th, 2003, 09:06 PM
10 2213 Chanda Rubin
-- ----
11 1777 Ai Sugiyama
12 1706 Vera Zvonareva
13 1684 Nadia Petrova
14 1503 Jelena Dokic
15 1486 Paola Suarez
17 1380 Daniela Hantuchova
23 1257 Elena Bovina
xx xxxx Sharapova

Chanda has 158 points coming off in Linz, and 162 next year in Tokyo. She's not coming back to the pack. They're going to have to go get her.

treufreund
Oct 19th, 2003, 09:07 PM
I hope she does not come "back to the pack" but she needs to go to Linz and just win it. Make her mind up to win the thing and do it. she can!!!!

ys
Oct 19th, 2003, 09:07 PM
10 2213 Chanda Rubin
-- ----
11 1777 Ai Sugiyama
12 1706 Vera Zvonareva
13 1684 Nadia Petrova
14 1503 Jelena Dokic
15 1486 Paola Suarez
23 1257 Elena Bovina
xx xxxx Sharapova

Chanda has 158 points coming off in Linz, and 162 next year in Tokyo. She's not coming back to the pack. They're going to have to go get her.

Chanda has a very good chance to get kicked out of Top 10 already this year.

bandabou
Oct 19th, 2003, 09:11 PM
Ever since Chanda lost to Silvia at wimbledon, her form has been WAAAYYYYYYY off...nothing top 10 worthy.

sartrista7
Oct 19th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Vera has very little to defend from here until Indian Wells, and Nadia even less; one or both will make it by then. (You're right that they have to go get Chanda, but they can do that by just living up to their seedings from here on in... and I expect they will do more than that.)

Ted of Teds Tennis
Oct 19th, 2003, 09:14 PM
Chanda has a very good chance to get kicked out of Top 10 already this year.

I think she's going to qualify for LA, and get enough points to keep her in the Top 10.

Wasn't she a quarterfinalist at the AO? That's where she won't be able to defend her points, I fear. :( (And she's one of my faves.)

Volcana
Oct 19th, 2003, 09:16 PM
Just a note. Paola Suarez defends 545 points from now THROUGH Roland Garros. This is the time to lay a bet that she'll eak into the top ten for a couple weeks.

ys
Oct 19th, 2003, 09:18 PM
I think she's going to qualify for LA, and get enough points to keep her in the Top 10.

Mathematically it is an equivalent. If she does not qualify for LA, she is out of Top 10. Same thing. I would be quite surprised not to see two of Myskina, Petrova, Zvonareva and Sugiyama not to make it to Linz finals. The only player in the draw who can prevent that seems to be Dokic. And if it is Petrova-Zvonareva final, one of them will get very close to Chanda. And then, there is Advanta, which all of those girls play and Chanda does not.

DEETHELICK
Oct 19th, 2003, 09:31 PM
Probably Petrova or Dokic.

Rtael
Oct 19th, 2003, 09:40 PM
Dokic, then later Suarez....neither of them have shit points to defend and it appears the uber-babe is abck!

Kart
Oct 19th, 2003, 09:53 PM
I think it will be Petrova.

Ryan
Oct 20th, 2003, 01:20 AM
10 2213 Chanda Rubin
-- ----
11 1777 Ai Sugiyama
12 1706 Vera Zvonareva
13 1684 Nadia Petrova
14 1503 Jelena Dokic
15 1486 Paola Suarez
23 1257 Elena Bovina
xx xxxx Sharapova

Please stop saying that. Chanda has done nothing to suggest that she's staying away from the pack, or that she's top 10 material at this point. I think that Vera or Nadia will be the next one in, sadly.

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 20th, 2003, 01:26 AM
If Dokic's form this week is an indication, she'll be back where she belongs pretty quickly in 2004, especially if she goes to the Australian Open. If it turns out to be a one-off, well, I dunno. Petrova probably has the best shot right now.

viele
Oct 20th, 2003, 01:27 AM
Why is Sharapova on the list? And I wouldn't necessarily count Chanda out. She's a much better player than most give her credit for being and just because she's in bad form now doesn't mean it will continue.

-Sonic-
Oct 20th, 2003, 01:30 AM
If only I could be bothered to look at what they are defending before/in the AO.

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 20th, 2003, 01:31 AM
Chanda is a wonderful player with beautiful strokes and all-court game. I hope she hangs in there. I can't imagine why she has had so little success lately.

I guess the question is predicated on the possibility that she or one of the others will falter.

bandabou
Oct 20th, 2003, 01:37 AM
Maria S BARELY wins a weak tier III at tokyo and all of sudden she is top 10 candidate?!

Volcana
Oct 20th, 2003, 02:13 AM
bandabou, viele - Steady on brothers and sisters, let me explain.

Chanda has a 450 point lead, and relatively little to defend. Forget CHANDA's form for a moment. All the players chasing her can and do beat up on each other. If any of them can seperate themselves, they can move up into the 2200 point range. But Chanda defends so little, she won't drop back down below 2000 or so.

If NO ONE in that group seperates themselves from the pack in 2004, or if Monica (likely) or Mary (less likely) returns to Top Ten form, it's quite possible NONE of these players may make the Top Ten in 2004. If that happens, by 2005, Sharpova will be ready to make a run toward the Top Ten.

Basically, you pick Sharapova if you think NONE of those players make the Top Ten in 2004.

bandabou
Oct 20th, 2003, 02:25 AM
bandabou, viele - Steady on brothers and sisters, let me explain.

Chanda has a 450 point lead, and relatively little to defend. Forget CHANDA's form for a moment. All the players chasing her can and do beat up on each other. If any of them can seperate themselves, they can move up into the 2200 point range. But Chanda defends so little, she won't drop back down below 2000 or so.

If NO ONE in that group seperates themselves from the pack in 2004, or if Monica (likely) or Mary (less likely) returns to Top Ten form, it's quite possible NONE of these players may make the Top Ten in 2004. If that happens, by 2005, Sharpova will be ready to make a run toward the Top Ten.

Basically, you pick Sharapova if you think NONE of those players make the Top Ten in 2004.

Hahaha.....sure has some faith in Maria. Let her actually PROVE she can play at top 10 level before we annoint her one. Winning tokyo doesn´t say much to me. Has she done anything since Wimbledon?!

LeonHart
Oct 20th, 2003, 02:27 AM
Vera will make top ten soon. :)

Volcana
Oct 20th, 2003, 05:12 AM
Hahaha.....sure has some faith in Maria. Let her actually PROVE she can play at top 10 level before we annoint her one. Winning tokyo doesn´t say much to me. Has she done anything since Wimbledon?!

The last player that young to win a tournament even that big was Kim Clijsters. And I think 15 months of lead time is hardly 'annointing'. I'm only suggesting she manage to climb 20 ranking places in a year. If you're ranked lower than #25, that's doable.

Gowza
Oct 20th, 2003, 05:15 AM
it looks like zvonareva and petrova will get there first but who out of those those 2 i can't pick.

ys
Oct 20th, 2003, 06:25 AM
Chanda has a 450 point lead, and relatively little to defend.

Chanda has only 180 points on Sugiyama and 290 points on Zvonareva in the Race. And the Race is all that matters next two weeks. If either of the two can cover those points in next two weeks, Chanda is as good as caught.

skanky~skanketta
Oct 20th, 2003, 06:47 AM
Lets Go Vera!!!!!!!!

switz
Oct 20th, 2003, 07:24 AM
people always use injuries as an excuse for their favourite players falling back in the rankings and struggling with form, but they rarely extend that consideration to others. chanda has missed three extended parts of this season due to injuries. twice she came back and struggled and everyone said "rubin is doing nothing and doesn't deserve to be ranked where she is.", and twice she proved them dead wrong.

after getting injured at toyko she didn't play for about 5 weeks, returned at scottsdale and lost to granville, and the everyone got her back. the next week she made the quarters of indian wells defeating the red hot sugiyama and losing to champ clijsters. she then beat mauremo 6-0, 6-2 and henin 6-2, 6-3 in miama before losing to capriati. then she gets injured, misses another 5 weeks. She comes back at hamburg and lost to an in form serna and loses to loit the next week in Rome. Once again everyone gets on back saying she's doing nothing and will be ranked outside the top 15 by the end of year.

Then she wins Madrid, makes the quarters of Roland Garros, and wins Eastbourne and everyone shuts up. Chanda turns up to wimbledon, plays a bad 3rd round match and loses to an inform farina-elia who makes her first GS quarter-final and takes a set off clijsters.

Chanda plays fed cup and wins both her matches to save the US after top players pull out. Plays San Diego and loses in the quarters to Davenport and once again gets injured. Chanda can't play LA where she is defending champion or any other lead ups to the US Open, and thus turns up considerable underdone and loses to kento-kabichi, a player who has risen dramatically through the rankings making 5 semi-finals from san diego to liepzig (beating two the aforementioned threats to chanda in dokic and petrova in straight sets)

Chanda makes consecutive finals in Bali and Shanghai losing to top 8 dementieva on both occasions.

Comes to indoor season where she rarely plays consistantly well, beats zvonareva (a supposed deserving top 10 player) , loses to maleeva. Loses to dokic to eventual finalist dokic in the 1st round of zurich in a tough 3 sets match.

Chanda is not playing well at the moment, but she's still competing and is still winning. Time and time again throughout this year and indeed her entire career she has proven people who put her down to be wrong, and has always fought back. I don't understand why after all this time people haven't caught onto the fact that chanda can, and always does catch fire at any point, even in the middle of a match, and plays well for a long period of time. a couple of 'bad' tournaments, and the majority of people just write her off as if she's nothing compared to these russian girls who are just so unbelievablely strong. chanda has fought her way into the top 10 after falling way down in the rankings on three seperate occasions. people always seem to think she has to prove herself, but IMO it's these up and coming russians that really have to prove themselves, as petrova, bovina and zvonareva have all showed signs of significant weakness in both playing consistantly well for more than a couple of weeks (petrova and bovina) and also in having the mental strength to win matches (zvonareva).

i'm not criticising them because them all great players, i just hate the way chanda does not get enough respect.

Volcana
Oct 20th, 2003, 02:05 PM
Chanda has only 180 points on Sugiyama and 290 points on Zvonareva in the Race.

The thread concerns the rankings, not the Porsche standings. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

ys
Oct 20th, 2003, 03:56 PM
The thread concerns the rankings, not the Porsche standings. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

And you think that the one who will be placed higher in the race and qualify for Championships is not insured of higher rankings than one who doesn't qualify? hmmm..

King Aaron
Oct 20th, 2003, 05:31 PM
I do think Jelena will make it back to the Top 10 first if she continues her Zurich form and if Vera, Ai and Nadia don't qualify for the YEC.