PDA

View Full Version : Is Justine the money leading 'sport' lady this year?

Fedcup
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:21 PM
I'm wondering if Justine is on the top spot of the sportswomen that earned the most this year?

Fedcup
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:25 PM
I just finded this on sanexwta

"This season Henin-Hardenne has won more singles titles (eight) and prize money (US$ 3,277,264) than any other player, male or female."

Hingiswinsthis
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:25 PM
with the win today Justine now has $3,277,264:eek:

lizchris
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:27 PM
As far as monies on the tour, I believe the answer is yes, but overall, Serena or Venus will end the year as the highest earning female sprtswoman due to their endorsements.

Hingiswinsthis
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:29 PM
"earned" lizchris ;)

Hingiswinsthis
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:31 PM
how much did serena earned with her season last year?

lizchris
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:32 PM
"earned" lizchris ;)

Endorsement money is EARNED :rolleyes: .

lizchris
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:33 PM
how much did serena earned with her season last year?

Serena's WTA earnings were close to 4,000,000 (I think 3.9 million).

Hingiswinsthis
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:34 PM
on court;)

btw Serena's 2002 is untouchable:D

CanadianBoy21
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:36 PM
"earned" lizchris ;)
yes, 'earned'.

What do you think Venus and Serena do, steal?
they earned it by being in commercials.
if justine happens to be not marketable, that's her damn fault, Venus and Serena are everywhere, that's not easy...
however, Justine needs to be congratulated for fighting and being entered in tournaments throughout the whole year, something that Venus and Serena haven't done YET, although next year I see a huge change in the amount Venus and Serena play, they will certainly be eager to regain the #1 and #2.
So don't take a way something from Venus and Serena.
On a side note, it's not like Hingis 'earned' her #1 spot by winning tournies and beating the top players. :rolleyes:

Knizzle
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:36 PM
on court;)

btw Serena's 2002 is untouchable:D

The thread starter didn't say on court. They didn't even say in tennis. Just "sportswoman"

Kart
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Serena's WTA earnings were close to 4,000,000 (I think 3.9 million).

That is amazing :eek:.

minboy
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Justine has a contract of 200 millions euros for 5 years with Adidas, so there has to be something marketable about her!!!

CanadianBoy21
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:42 PM
I think Hingis has had over 4.0 million.
which is amazing!

CanadianBoy21
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:43 PM
Justine has a contract of 200 millions euros for 5 years with Adidas, so there has to be something marketable about her!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

200 million euros
take the million out and u might have a case

lizchris
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:47 PM
I think Hingis has had over 4.0 million.
which is amazing!

I don't believe she did. I remember reading last year that Serena's YTD earnings on the WTA tour was the most earned by a feamle tennis player ever and I believe that included singles and doubles.

Hingiswinsthis
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:47 PM
now now, behave ICare4U;) no body ever said Serena stole all her money:lol:

croat123
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:48 PM
anna kournikova earns the most after endorsements

lizchris
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:49 PM

If she is earning that type of money, then why is she living in an apartment and not a house like Kim, Venus and Serena?

lizchris
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:50 PM

That's true, but if you add in her WTA Tour money, she is eclisped by Venus and Serena.

harloo
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Oh course Justine is the top money earner in the WTA this year. She would not of been if the Williams played the USO. However, she earned that money so no argument there.

But the most highest paid female athelte is Serena. :D

Hingiswinsthis
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:55 PM
thank you harloo.

Rtael
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:59 PM
If she is earning that type of money, then why is she living in an apartment and not a house like Kim, Venus and Serena?

sweety, she's earned over 3 mil dollars so far this year....do you really think she's living in an apartment because she's lacking financially? :crazy: :retard: :smash:

lizchris
Oct 19th, 2003, 05:02 PM
sweety, she's earned over 3 mil dollars so far this year....do you really think she's living in an apartment because she's lacking financially? :crazy: :retard: :smash:

No, dummy, but if she has an endorsement contract as huge as one poster said, they why would she waste her time living in an apartment?

per4ever
Oct 19th, 2003, 05:07 PM
why buying a huge house if you're rarely at home? who has to clean that place? Justine is not the person to show off, she uses her money when she needs it and she doesn't need extreme luxury.

we need more girls like her :)

lizchris
Oct 19th, 2003, 05:12 PM
why buying a huge house if you're rarely at home? who has to clean that place? Justine is not the person to show off, she uses her money when she needs it and she doesn't need extreme luxury.

Who says the house has to be huge? She could buy a home that has four bedrooms and four bathrooms. That isn't huge to me.

It isn't a question of showing off; it is a question of thinking aobut the future; since she is married, my guess is that she may want to have a family. See Lindsay Davenport.

alexusjonesfan
Oct 19th, 2003, 05:22 PM
Who says the house has to be huge? She could buy a home that has four bedrooms and four bathrooms. That isn't huge to me.

It isn't a question of showing off; it is a question of thinking aobut the future; since she is married, my guess is that she may want to have a family. See Lindsay Davenport.

wait wait, are you chiding her for not buying a big enough house? It's her decision ferchrissakes! I don't understand why she 'ought' to buy a bigger house? Because somebody on an internet messageboard thinks she isn't spending enough money?

minboy
Oct 19th, 2003, 05:26 PM
oops....seems like i wrote "euros" instead of belgian francs

so that makes 5 millions euros = 200 millions BF

It still catches up with venus' contract with reebook i think

CanadianBoy21
Oct 19th, 2003, 06:01 PM
oops....seems like i wrote "euros" instead of belgian francs

so that makes 5 millions euros = 200 millions BF

It still catches up with venus' contract with reebook i think

Venus has a 40$ million 5 year contract deal
Justine, accodring to you, has a 5 millionEU 5 year contract deal.
that's a million euros a year, while Venus gets 8$ million a year.

Yeah, she is catching up. :rolleyes: :lol:

mexicotrip
Oct 19th, 2003, 06:02 PM
Doesn't the riches woman in the US live in an apartment? I've seen some really nice ones.

minboy
Oct 19th, 2003, 06:07 PM
ok, so i guess i'm ridiculous now.....

i don't remember, but there was something about her catching up with Venus, so maybe that was 50 millions. She was listed as one of the 10 or 15 ADIDAS most "expensive" sportman/woman.

XMan
Oct 19th, 2003, 06:08 PM
No, dummy, but if she has an endorsement contract as huge as one poster said, they why would she waste her time living in an apartment?

There are many sportstars living in appartements. Just go to Monaco and you'll find many of them.

Jericho
Oct 19th, 2003, 06:09 PM
Its very hard to compare prize money because the money increases almost every year

persond
Oct 19th, 2003, 07:03 PM

Why the same old arguements over and over again...??? Anna's endorsements have not surpassed the Williamses...!!! I know her fans hate hearing that, but, that's the facts...and nothing but the facts....!!! We've discussed this and there have been post after posts with the actual earnings posted....please check the past threads, and you'll get the answer to the question... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

jenny161185
Oct 19th, 2003, 07:36 PM
she s living in apartment cos she's modest she doesnt want her world to change around just cos she's earning mega bucks - I doubt Venus and Serena will be way ahead of Justine Lizchris - Justines got alot of endorsements too.

treufreund
Oct 19th, 2003, 07:40 PM
anyways is money the only thing that makes a person wonderful? :rolleyes:

spooky
Oct 19th, 2003, 07:47 PM

What does that equate to in U.S. currency. Just curious.

spooky
Oct 19th, 2003, 07:51 PM

Tax purposes. I do not know how it works in Belgium but in the U.S if you have a home it is benefical during tax time because of all the interest you pay on your mortage.

Martian KC
Oct 19th, 2003, 08:21 PM
Why does she need to use up her money?!?! Save it baby!

tennnisfannn
Oct 20th, 2003, 03:48 AM
Are gonna start judging people by what they spend their money on now :rolleyes:
Oprah Winfrey also lives in an apartment but she also has other houses?ranch but she chooses to live an apartment. She belongs to the billionaires club so money ain't the issue. Justine can live in a tent and it will still be her choice.
Great accomplishment topping the money board for the tour for both male and female. Consider too that men earn more in most tournys than women do.
Serena's close to 4M last year was also very impressive considering that she only earned that in only 13 tournys and 2 or 3 doubles.
With all the tournys Kim is playing in both singles and doubles I would have thought she would top that list. She probably will by the YEC coz there is plenty of money there for both singles and doubles.
Just to put things in perspective, go to the WTAtour.com, scroll down money earned and see the players who are yet to earn 100 dollars this year and some of you might develop some respect for what the girls ar the top have accomplished.
As for who gets to keep the most, you will have to look at the tax policies in each country.

Volcana
Oct 20th, 2003, 04:00 AM
Well, if I were guessing, I'd have guessed Annika Sorenstam won the most money of any sportwoman 'on the court/field'. But the absence of superstar female figure skaters, there's a good chance Justine was #1 among the women in 'oncourt' money this year.

alexusjonesfan
Oct 20th, 2003, 04:12 AM
Most of the top women in the LPGA make more than the top women in the WTA (the average seems significantly higher) but the top woman isn't exceedingly 'rich' this year ;)

1 Annika Sorenstam 12 $1,497,622 1

*JR*
Oct 20th, 2003, 11:08 AM
The Anna element isn't really relevant. While still a sportswoman, her non-tennis income is totally "for reasons other than any recent athletic achievements" and even her most loyal fans know that's true.

Allez-H
Oct 20th, 2003, 01:01 PM
I doubt the fact that the female golfers win more than the female tennisplayers.
It's seems to me that the prizemoney there is lower + the LPGA-tour is far more open( I think) then the wtatour.

alexusjonesfan
Oct 20th, 2003, 01:11 PM
hmm, you're right allezjuju, I just checked again and most of the LPGA tour money leaders were lower than their wta counterparts. I remember it being the reverse earlier in the year though...maybe it has more to do with the different seasons of both tours? :confused:

miranda_lou
Oct 20th, 2003, 01:30 PM

Some people BUY their apartments. :rolleyes: I live in a high-rise building and I own my unit/apartment. Maybe this is the case with Justine. :p

Serena has a house she shares with Venus in Florida but she BOUGHT an apartment in Los Angeles to be close to Hollywood; at one point Steffi Graf owned an apartment in New York (she sold it to Calvin Kline's daughter); and, as someone pointed out, practically everybody living in Monaco lives in a high-rise apartment. So why is it so strange that Justine chooses to live in an apartment rather than a hugh house that she would have to hire someone to stay in and keep clean? :confused:

Also, if Justine wins the Championships she will add a million to her yearly winnings which would take her pass Serena's winnings from last year. :angel: Justine is ahead of Kim in earnings because Justine won TWO Slams earning close to a million each time.

Fantastic
Oct 20th, 2003, 03:02 PM
So is Justine Henin-Hardenne the highest-earning sportswoman in prizemoney this year? :confused:

Juju_fan
Oct 20th, 2003, 04:19 PM
I don't know, but I read in the newspaper that if Justine finishes the year as WTA #1, she will get a big financial bonus from Adidas (it was in her contract signed before her GS victories, I think Adidas didn't believe she could catch the 4,000 pts gap between her and Serena at that time :angel:

Allez-H
Oct 20th, 2003, 04:42 PM
The most amazing thing is that Justine won this prizemoney practicly all thanks to her singles results.Besides 3 or 4 doublesmatches at the begining of the season,Justine has only played singlesmatches.

lizchris
Oct 20th, 2003, 05:03 PM
Some people BUY their apartments. :rolleyes: I live in a high-rise building and I own my unit/apartment. Maybe this is the case with Justine. :p

Serena has a house she shares with Venus in Florida but she BOUGHT an apartment in Los Angeles to be close to Hollywood; at one point Steffi Graf owned an apartment in New York (she sold it to Calvin Kline's daughter); and, as someone pointed out, practically everybody living in Monaco lives in a high-rise apartment. So why is it so strange that Justine chooses to live in an apartment rather than a hugh house that she would have to hire someone to stay in and keep clean? :confused:

Also, if Justine wins the Championships she will add a million to her yearly winnings which would take her pass Serena's winnings from last year. :angel: Justine is ahead of Kim in earnings because Justine won TWO Slams earning close to a million each time.

Considering she will have to play against top women in the YEC, her chances of winning are very good, but not certain. In fact, I don' think Kim or Justine will win the YEC.

At the present time, Justine is about $700,000 behind Serena, so she will have to win the whole thing to surpass her (since the runner-up gets only half of what the winner gets).

Fedcup
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:34 PM

Cause her name is justine and not Kim.
simply as that. Right now she could also afford a house like Kim but she won't. That's her strenght. Staying realistic and don't behave like a star cause you are one of the best in your profession

lizchris
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:36 PM
Cause her name is justine and not Kim.
simply as that. Right now she could also afford a house like Kim but she won't. That's her strenght. Staying realistic and don't behave like a star cause you are one of the best in your profession

When is buying a house acting like a star? I wasn't saying she has to live in a fucking palace. I was saying down the road, she may want to start a family, so why not buy a house now?

saki
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:43 PM
When is buying a house acting like a star? I wasn't saying she has to live in a fucking palace. I was saying down the road, she may want to start a family, so why not buy a house now?

Justine has stated many times that she wants to play into her 30s - that means she's not likely to start a family for another 10 years. Why buy a house now?

To be honest, if I were only at home a few weeks a year (remember, she's going to Florida again to train during the off-season), I wouldn't want a large house either. If there's just two of you living there, you don't need more than a bedroom, a spare bedroom, a living room, a bathroom and a kitchen.

Justine doesn't scrimp and save precisely - she spends money on things she needs: coach, personal trainer, nice hotels during tournaments.

lizchris
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:44 PM
Justine has stated many times that she wants to play into her 30s - that means she's not likely to start a family for another 10 years. Why buy a house now?

To be honest, if I were only at home a few weeks a year (remember, she's going to Florida again to train during the off-season), I wouldn't want a large house either. If there's just two of you living there, you don't need more than a bedroom, a spare bedroom, a living room, a bathroom and a kitchen.

Justine doesn't scrimp and save precisely - she spends money on things she needs: coach, personal trainer, nice hotels during tournaments.

Well, for starters, it would be a nice investment.

saki
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:47 PM
Well, for starters, it would be a nice investment.

Not necessarily. I don't know much about the property market in Belgium, but it's very probable that she'd be better off investing in suitably picked shares/stocks, or a unit trust. My accountant father certainly says that these tend to yield higher interest than property.

lizchris
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:49 PM
Well, in the US (where I think she has either an apartment or a condo since she trains at Saddlebrook in the offseason), owning a home is a good investment depending on what part of the country you live in. I know; I am an accountant.

saki
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:51 PM
It's certainly a /safe/ investment in most Western countries, but I'm not convinced that it's the best thing to do with your money. As I said, you can get some really quite high-yield but protected unit trusts (at least in Britain) that would seem to be better value for large sums of money.