PDA

View Full Version : Are there too many WTA tournaments in California?

JennyS
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:50 PM
I think without a doubt, there the WTA's US circuit is too California centric the ATP does a much better job with its US circuit.

The WTA has five tournament in Calfornia: The WTA Championships (LA), Indian Wells, San Diego, Stanford and LA. The attendance in LA has been dreadful. I think the WTA is limiting itself by having so many tournaments in California.

darren cahill
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:51 PM
I totally agree

selesfan1
Oct 19th, 2003, 06:24 PM
I agree for sure, now that Scottsdale is no longer on the calendar for February it would be excellent if Scottsdale could take the place of Carson.

shap_half
Oct 19th, 2003, 06:27 PM
I think they should move some of these events to the east coast. They should bring the Tour Champs back to MSG to attract more tennis fans on this area. Less people are willing to go to LA because the Tour Champs are already there and would rather attend that. But if the Tour Champs is in NY, it would bring more people to LA and the east coast people can see the YEC.

j_dementieva27
Oct 19th, 2003, 07:00 PM
i know for sure if the tour champs were back at MSG, attendence would improve coz i would be there and that would one more person there than last year's attendence

plus tennis is big in ny, the us open was PACKED

Volcana
Oct 19th, 2003, 08:05 PM
Those events are in Cali cause they pay to have them there. The 3 Cali Tier II's always do well. In fact, I'm pretty sure San Diego will be a Tier I next year. The attendance at last year's championships was a result of dreadful marketing. The last Cali tournament is in July, the champs are in November. Over-exposure isn't the issue. The WTA did virtually nothing besides cursory advertising last year. Even expanding the champs to 16 players was a sign they thought the product would sell itself. Didn't happen. (Tickets to Serena's matches sold well, but one player does not a tournament make.)

California has an economy bigger than all but six of the COUNTRIES in the world. They certainly can support five tournaments. Attendance was good at four of them.

Car Key Boi
Oct 19th, 2003, 08:08 PM
California has an economy bigger than all but six of the COUNTRIES in the world. They certainly can support five tournaments. Attendance was good at four of them.

that is the correct answer :rocker2:

Debate=Over

ys
Oct 19th, 2003, 08:15 PM

California is a paper tiger. Our (Russian) efforts and in much greater extent the efforts of our Indian and Chinese friends will make Californian economy bleed high tech industry and jobs even further, and that, combined with obvious disproprtion between available natural resources and growing population will soon make Californian economy to go a good share of the way between her current economical state and that of Mexico. Some thought that it is Davis who is a problem, in fact, the problem is ... California..

antonella
Oct 19th, 2003, 09:40 PM
Has anybody ever considered the possiblity that maybe the players LIKE to play in California?? and that this is attested to by the fact that so many of them come a long way to play here. California is actually in an ideal location between East and West and as tennis continues to grow in ever-prospering Asia (may well find it's future there) what better pivot location than here. The grimy East Coast, the steam-pot that is Florida and 'Old Europe' are going to be old news.

starr
Oct 19th, 2003, 09:53 PM
All of the California tournaments seem to be well attended.

I wouldn't call the WTA Championships a California tournament. It has been rather artificially plumped down there.

JustineTime
Oct 19th, 2003, 09:59 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: at the mere suggestion of this topic! :p

;)

Jeff
Oct 19th, 2003, 10:07 PM
On another note, how many other outdoor hardcourt tournaments, outside of California, can say they hardly ever have rain delays.

California is indeed the ideal location for tennis, and I'm just glad to live here and get to go to all of the events ;)

*JR*
Oct 19th, 2003, 10:10 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: at the mere suggestion of this topic! :p
;) I guess next year the Ah-nuld will be there, too. :p So if RB competes, you can root for (or against) :eek: him! :lol:

JennyS
Oct 19th, 2003, 10:12 PM
I wonder, though, does it hurt tennis' popularity in the US to have so many tournaments in one state? The men have events in Indianapolis, Cincinatti and Houston, and all are well attended. Women's tennis is basically in three places: California, the southeast and the mid-Atlantic (with a couple exceptions)

I think San Diego, Indian Wells and Stanford would be enough California tournaments. Then I would add a couple tournaments to cities that don't normally have them.

goldenlox
Oct 19th, 2003, 10:16 PM
T. J. Simers was goofing on the WTA championships in today's L.A. Times.
Having a 19,000 seat arena with a few dozen spectators for the year end championship doesn't make women's tennis look like an important sport.

JennyS
Oct 19th, 2003, 10:22 PM
I think the Staples Center is just too big to hold a tennis tournament. The stadium for the Tennis Masters Cup in Houston will hold 8,000 and will be sold out. If the WTA event sells the same number of tickets, the arena will be more than half empty.

I think part of the reason that attendance is so bad in LA is the Lakers are the center of attention in November. I think the event would be a much bigger success in September or October.

JustineTime
Oct 19th, 2003, 11:02 PM
I think the Staples Center is just too big to hold a tennis tournament. The stadium for the Tennis Masters Cup in Houston will hold 8,000 and will be sold out. If the WTA event sells the same number of tickets, the arena will be more than half empty.

I think part of the reason that attendance is so bad in LA is the Lakers are the center of attention in November. I think the event would be a much bigger success in September or October.

Good point! :)

Car Key Boi
Oct 19th, 2003, 11:17 PM
T. J. Simers was goofing on the WTA championships in today's L.A. Times.
Having a 19,000 seat arena with a few dozen spectators for the year end championship doesn't make women's tennis look like an important sport.

:secret: it isn't. That FTS is reflected in the amount of money they earn ;)