PDA

View Full Version : Steffi Graf and doubles

Hingiswinsthis
Oct 19th, 2003, 02:39 PM
Was there ever a year when Steffi Graf did not play doubles at all to concentrate on singles? I suspect she played some in the mid 80s and then some afterwards. Justine is following suit, play less doubles, rack up titles and grand slams and then boom you're number 1;)

moby
Oct 19th, 2003, 02:51 PM
venus and serena do that too i believe

irma
Oct 19th, 2003, 02:56 PM
http://www.sgisc.com/doubles.htm

Kart
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Steffi's greatest doubles results came whilst riding on the coat tails of Sabatini's greatness :p.

bandabou
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:09 PM
Steffi's greatest doubles results came whilst riding on the coat tails of Sabatini's greatness :p.

Can you say: Irma?! :rolls: :haha: :nerner:

bandabou
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:12 PM
venus and serena do that too i believe

Not really....they have won at least a doubles GS every year since ī99. In fact they have won both singles and doubles at a GS every year, save ī01.

MLF
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:14 PM
Steffi played very little doubles in the '90s. She played more in the '80s when she was coming up the rankings and stopped playing with Sabatini when they realised they were going to be each other's biggest singles rival.

irma
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:14 PM
if Kart gets driven away by his fantasies then I accept that ;) :p :kiss:

Kart
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:17 PM

:lol:

Hey irma :hearts:, do you like my avatar ? :angel:

I was going to have a Steffi one but all the pictures I could find of her looked more like this ---------> :devil:

irma
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:18 PM
Steffi played very little doubles in the '90s. She played more in the '80s when she was coming up the rankings and stopped playing with Sabatini when they realised they were going to be each other's biggest singles rival.

that's not really true since then they had stopped in 87 or 88

sabatini dumped steffi because carlos kyrmar (or however you spell that) found it was a bad thing since sabatini was not mean enough when playing steffi according to him
we know what happened a few weeks later so I guess he was right :sad: (oh wait I was over it :p ;))

Kart
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:19 PM
we know what happened a few weeks later so I guess he was right :sad: (oh wait I was over it :p ;))

:rolls:

bandabou
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:19 PM

:lol: ! Still canīt believe Pam Shriver won nearly as much GS titles as Graf!!

MLF
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:24 PM
that's not really true since then they had stopped in 87 or 88

sabatini dumped steffi because carlos kyrmar (or however you spell that) found it was a bad thing since sabatini was not mean enough when playing steffi according to him

Well you agreed with me really. They decided to split whenever Sabatini realised it wasn't a good idea to play doubles with someone who owned you in singles if you wanted to beat them and get rid of an "inferiority" complex. Their results indicated they could be big singles rivals. They won '88 Wimbledon doubles together but their doubles always made me laugh as they barely spoke to each other and had no teamwork and stayed in their own halves of the court.. They were just effective because they were two great singles players

irma
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:25 PM
:lol:

Hey irma :hearts:, do you like my avatar ? :angel:

I was going to have a Steffi one but all the pictures I could find of her looked more like this ---------> :devil:

http://members.tripodnet.nl/steffifan5/wim911.jpg

like this one :devil: (forgive how dark it is. I suck at scanning;))

irma
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:27 PM
Well you agreed with me really. They decided to split whenever Sabatini realised it wasn't a good idea to play doubles with someone who owned you in singles if you wanted to beat them and get rid of an "inferiority" complex. Their results indicated they could be big singles rivals. They won '88 Wimbledon doubles together but their doubles always made me laugh as they barely spoke to each other and had no teamwork and stayed in their own halves of the court.. They were just effective because they were two great singles players

why did the daddy's decide they had to play together anyway?

Pureracket
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:29 PM
I remember being there and getting both Sabatini's and Steffi's autographs after one of their doubles matches @ Amelia Island one year. That same year Gabby beat Steffi in the semis and played an exhausted match as she lost to Navratilova in the Finals.

Kart
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:30 PM
http://members.tripodnet.nl/steffifan5/wim911.jpg

like this one :devil: (forgive how dark it is. I suck at scanning;))

If that's 1991 then that the best comeback ever ! :worship:

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Still prefer this one myself :angel: :

http://www.dpo.uab.edu/~yangzw/gaby/gaby15.jpg

irma
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:38 PM
well at least steffi's outfit was better;)

Fantastic
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Steffi and Gaby split in 1989. Their better results together that year was at the French Open where they reached the doubles final and lost to Larisa Savchenko and Natalia Zvereva in straight sets.

Steffi's highest doubles ranking was around 12. And I think Gaby's highest doubles ranking was around 10.

Steffi didn't really play much doubles after splitting with Gaby, but she did play at least one or two doubles events every year until 1995 or 1996. She'd played mostly with Rennae Stubbs. They won Hamburg together once.

MLF
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Steffi's highest doubles ranking was around 12. And I think Gaby's highest doubles ranking was around 10.

Steffi's peak doubles ranking was actually #3. Gaby's highest in doubles was also #3. In the '90s Steffi tended to play the occasional doubles event with her friends as partners hence playing with Stubbs but also more commonly with Ines Gorrochategui.

bandabou
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:58 PM
I wonder how Martina N would have faired if she focused only on singles as Graf did?! ONE!!! doubles GS title?! That sure has to be a record for fewest doubles GSīs for no.1īs!

MLF
Oct 19th, 2003, 05:07 PM
I wonder how Martina N would have faired if she focused only on singles as Graf did?! ONE!!! doubles GS title?! That sure has to be a record for fewest doubles GSīs for no.1īs!

It's one more than Seles, Capriati or Henin - Hardenne. Umm, as a Seles fan and not an admirer of Ms Graf should I be pointing this out?

bandabou
Oct 19th, 2003, 06:34 PM
It's one more than Seles, Capriati or Henin - Hardenne. Umm, as a Seles fan and not an admirer of Ms Graf should I be pointing this out?

Nope! You shouldnīt!

Zummi
Oct 19th, 2003, 06:40 PM
Steffi and Gaby split in 1989. Their better results together that year was at the French Open where they reached the doubles final and lost to Larisa Savchenko and Natalia Zvereva in straight sets.

Sabatini & Graf split after Wimbledon 1990 where they reached the quarterfinals.

tennisjam
Oct 19th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Graf is the greatest doubles player ever :angel:

and she has 3 Slams...you forgot the two ones she won with Andre ;)