PDA

View Full Version : To win GS titles, you have to show up

Volcana
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:18 PM
In tennis, as in life, half the battle is showing up. As I reflected on the Williams-less US Open, I got to wondering how often to players miss opportunities to win GS title. Henin-Hardenne, for example, certainly made the most of her opportunities this year. So I took all the active multiple GS winners, and had a look at the number of GS's they COULD have played since their first, against how many of those opportunities they missed.

First among active singles multi-GS winners in playing GS tournaments if she has the chance is Venus, having had 27 GS opportunities, and missing only 2 of them.

Worst among active singles multi-GS winners in playing GS tournaments if she has the chance is Monica, having had 49 GS opportunities, and missing 9 of them.

27/02 V.Williams
19/02 Henin-Hardenne
45/04 Davenport
24/04 S.Williams
31/05 Capriati
51/09 Pierce
49/09 Seles

A word about the above stats. Pierce, Davenport and Seles all have more GS opportunities than I listed. Pierce and Davenport both only played one GS tournament their first year. Since they never intended to play the others, I dropped that tournament, and started counting form their second. Monica missed 10 straight GS tournaments being assaulted. I dropped those too.

treufreund
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:21 PM
last year's first round loss at RG for justine with the flu should have been her third one sitting out.

Experimentee
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:26 PM
What about Kim? I dont remember her missing many Grand Slams.

Kart
Oct 19th, 2003, 02:03 PM
I'm impressed by Lindsay's statistics :yeah:.

Volcana
Oct 19th, 2003, 07:58 PM
What about Kim? I dont remember her missing many Grand Slams.

She hasn't. But she also hasn't WON any yet, though I view that as inevitable. I limited it to multiple GS winners to give myself a short list. I didn't even include the single GS winners (Conchi, Iva).