PDA

View Full Version : Beatification of Mother Theresa

Josh
Oct 19th, 2003, 10:16 AM
The weak and sad display of the pope aside, do you think this beatification is the perfect PR stunt from a catholic church in crisis or will it further undermine the already questionable credibility of the church?

*JR*
Oct 19th, 2003, 11:33 AM
I like a particular part of the Pope's speech:"Brothers and sisters, even in our days God inspires new models of sainthood," John Paul told the crowd of about 300,000. "Some impose themselves for their radicalness, like that offered by Mother Teresa of Calcutta, whom today we add to the ranks of the blessed." Not that JP II is a radical on issues involving the church itself, and not that Mother Teresa took on power structures to change the root causes of poverty like I wish she had. But it's up to ppl of conscience to do so in our own ways, so JP II, thanks for the reminder. ;)

alexusjonesfan
Oct 19th, 2003, 02:31 PM
This is interesting...there seems to be some opposition to the 'fast-track' mother Teresa was put on for beatification and the validity of the first miracle she performed. If you don't already know, it involved a woman in Calcutta who had a tumour in her stomach. Mother Teresa's sisters gave her this 'charm' of Mother Teresa's to wear around it and the next morning the tumour was gone. The doctor who had treated the woman claims that it was his medecine that took away the tumour and that 'Mr Teresa shouldn't need some bogus miracle for beatification or sainthood. Her works for the poor and needy should be enough by themselves'

tenn_ace
Oct 19th, 2003, 02:37 PM
This is just wonderful! When I heard this first, I got emotional... I really really loved and respected Mother Teresa...

I'm trying not to think what the real intentions of church are. In a few years nobody will remember it, but Mother Teresa will always be saint (in any way)

*JR*
Oct 19th, 2003, 07:40 PM
This is interesting...there seems to be some opposition to the 'fast-track' mother Teresa was put on for beatification and the validity of the first miracle she performed. If you don't already know, it involved a woman in Calcutta who had a tumour in her stomach. Mother Teresa's sisters gave her this 'charm' of Mother Teresa's to wear around it and the next morning the tumour was gone. The doctor who had treated the woman claims that it was his medecine that took away the tumour and that 'Mr Teresa shouldn't need some bogus miracle for beatification or sainthood. Her works for the poor and needy should be enough by themselves' Thank (Saint, of course) Augustine, who about 1600 years ago "won" a theological power struggle with (non-Saint, surprise) Pelagius. The former stood for salvation through faith, the latter through good works. So the idea that the RC Church was so benign until the Crusades, etc. is a bunch of crap. BTW, isn't sainthood cheapened when total SOB's like Pope Pius IX (mid-1800's, organized "Vatican I" and virtual Papal autocracy in the church) got that honor, too?

propi
Oct 19th, 2003, 07:50 PM
Sure this is the kind of publicity Catholic church curretly needs, this is much more than publicity though;if someone deserves it is her on the other hand this may not be so big since lots considered her a Saint on earth while she was living :D

tazban1
Oct 20th, 2003, 07:09 PM
What was the other miracle? I'm pretty sure there are supposed to be two before beatification. Why that number, I have no idea.

Though frankly, some of the miracles that got people into sainthood seem a little forced anyways.

Josh
Oct 20th, 2003, 07:13 PM
I think only one "miracle" is needed for beatification, canonization requires two miracles.

ys
Oct 20th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Yeah, lets praise her effort on massive non-contraception in developing countries..

*JR*
Oct 20th, 2003, 08:48 PM
I think only one "miracle" is needed for beatification, canonization requires two miracles.So I guess if Jenny Hopkins or someone like that wins a Slam, she's halfway there! :p

Josh
Oct 20th, 2003, 08:49 PM
So I guess if Jenny Hopkins or someone like that wins a Slam, she's halfway there! :p

Only if she thanks god in her speech. ;)