PDA

View Full Version : Tour Champs Singles set

Volcana
Oct 19th, 2003, 02:08 AM
Well not officially. But ....

Serena just pulled out. Lindsay just had surgery. Chanda has a 250 lead on Ai. Elena D could take the #4 seed, but since its a round robin this year, that likely won't matter. Venus has winning records over everyone in the field, so it's all about health, as far as I'm concerned. Other players fans may be more concerned about form.

I kinda wanted to see Petrova make it, but she'd have had to win this week.

01 JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE 6015.00 16
02 KIM CLIJSTERS 5987.00 18
03 SERENA WILLIAMS 3916.00 7
04 LINDSAY DAVENPORT 2990.00 16
03 JENNIFER CAPRIATI 2471.00 17
04 AMELIE MAURESMO 2439.00 14
05 ELENA DEMENTIEVA 2323.00 25
06 VENUS WILLIAMS 2211.00 6
07 ANASTASIA MYSKINA 2172.00 21
08 CHANDA RUBIN 1990.00 17
--
09 AI SUGIYAMA 1748.00 22
10 VERA ZVONAREVA 1600.00 20
11 NADIA PETROVA 1468.00 20

mboyle
Oct 19th, 2003, 02:52 AM
But if Serena's out, won't Venus pull out too?

Rtael
Oct 19th, 2003, 02:59 AM
Uhm....they're not the same person....

spooky
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:01 AM

Why would Venus pull out they are join at the hip you know or are you trying to be a smart ass.

GoDominique
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:02 AM
I really really hope Venus will play.

bandabou
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:03 AM

Are you stupid or what?! Didn´t Serena play Munich without Venus?!

vogus
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:21 AM
Mauresmo is a more likely no-show than Venus. Amelie finks out of playing in the U.S. every chance she gets.

Jericho
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:24 AM
If venus plays Philly, then she'll more than likely play at the YEC (crossing fingers cuz i have tickets)

Im just praying i dont see a "Venus Pulls Out of Philadelphia" for the next couple of days..

Linnie
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:35 AM
Mauresmo is a more likely no-show than Venus. Amelie finks out of playing in the U.S. every chance she gets.
:rolleyes: And you know this because........

shap_half
Oct 19th, 2003, 05:00 AM
I hope Vera makes it! Does anyone know what her schedule looks like for the rest of the season?

tenn_ace
Oct 19th, 2003, 05:06 AM
she is commited to both Linz and Phylli... but so is Ai.

Chanda will play Luxembourg and I have a feeling if she doesn't get to the final there, she'd ask for a Phylli WC

Vera has a decent chance in Linz with Serena, Justine and Nastya out, however, even if she wins it I don't think Vera has a chance to surpass Chanda. Her only chance is to surpass Ai and to hope that someone else withdraws.

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 19th, 2003, 05:07 AM
Yeah, but I wanted to read about the tour champs singles set.

I mean, I know that juju is married and kimmie is shacked up with Lleyton, but what about the rest of them? :confused:

polishprodigy
Oct 19th, 2003, 05:12 AM
I find it quite amazing and hilarious at the same time at how high Venus is ranked despite having played only 6 tournaments. I am not a big fan of hers, to say the least, but that is some incredible statistic. Dementieva on theother hand, being talented and all, has played more than 4 TIMES as many tournaments as Venus (who obviously could not play a full schedule due to injuries) yet is ranked 2 spots lower in race to the chase! This is just bewildering to me! (and keep in mind Dementieva has 3 titles this year, her first three in her whole career).

UDiTY
Oct 19th, 2003, 05:17 AM
I really really hope Venus will play.

me too...:unsure:

LeonHart
Oct 19th, 2003, 07:09 AM
I hope Venus does play, cuz YEC really looks like a Belgian showdown right now, but its likely she will withdraw. Reasons: she hasn't played since wimbledon, and has not played any warm up carpet tournaments, and doesn't wanna be embarrassed, so she'll take the rest of the year off. Like Venus and Serena say: they play to win. If they don't think they can win, they wont' play.

Volcana
Oct 19th, 2003, 11:30 AM
This is just bewildering to me! (and keep in mind Dementieva has 3 titles this year, her first three in her whole career).

3 GS finals is a LOT of points

azza
Oct 19th, 2003, 11:42 AM
goodluck Kim :rocker:

Mercury Rising
Oct 19th, 2003, 12:14 PM
Well not officially. But ....

Venus has winning records over everyone in the field, so it's all about health, as far as I'm concerned.

Ahhh yes, if Venus is healthy she will have no opposition at the Champs cause of her winning record...

Kart
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:00 PM
I'd really like to see Ai qualify, but not at the expense of Venus - she'd be great to see at the YEC.

lizchris
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:10 PM
Umless Venus pulls out, the battle is only for the last spot and Chanda has it unless the three behind her (Ai, Vera and Nadia) play very well up to the YEC. An early loss in their fimal tournaments by either one of them keeps them on the outside looking in.

-Sonic-
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:13 PM
If I am totally honest I am only posting to test my avatar....

IMHO I am glad Chanda has more of a chance than Ai. Apart from Scottsdale I can't remember many big wins or results from Ai, Whereas Chanda has Eastbourne, Good Miami, and a few finals late in the year

jenny161185
Oct 19th, 2003, 02:50 PM
is ejnnifer definately playing? Hope Justine wins this - though hope Venus shows up

*JR*
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Let the Geneva resident apply for SUI citizenship and you'll suddenly be a fan. She'll even make Rothes' siggy! :p

ex hopman
Oct 19th, 2003, 05:27 PM
If I am totally honest I am only posting to test my avatar....

IMHO I am glad Chanda has more of a chance than Ai. Apart from Scottsdale I can't remember many big wins or results from Ai, Whereas Chanda has Eastbourne, Good Miami, and a few finals late in the year

true.
she has had decent result, but not as many big wins(upsets) as she usually does... but i guess higher ranking gets better seeding, and without playing top players, she could've won some decent points to maintain the ranking, i guess...

i'd love to see Ai to qualify too...but I like Chanda too...and I want to see Venus play too... :(

persond
Oct 19th, 2003, 06:50 PM
I hope Venus does play, cuz YEC really looks like a Belgian showdown right now, but its likely she will withdraw. Reasons: she hasn't played since wimbledon, and has not played any warm up carpet tournaments, and doesn't wanna be embarrassed, so she'll take the rest of the year off. Like Venus and Serena say: they play to win. If they don't think they can win, they wont' play.

You know, that just goes to show "how little" you know about the Williamses...!!! Venus and Serena have often played after long layoffs and with little or no preparation in warm-up tournaments...!!! You would avoid looking so silly, if you just keep your phucking mouth shut about shite you know absolutely phucking nothing about...!!! 'Nuff said...!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ys
Oct 19th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Unless Chanda take a wildcard in Advanta or Quebec, chances are she will not qualify.

Volcana
Oct 19th, 2003, 07:27 PM
... its likely she will withdraw. Reasons:

she hasn't played since wimbledon

Venus has been out injured far too often, but she ALWAYS comes back at the top of her game.

has not played any warm up carpet tournaments

Venus doesn't usually play a warmup before OZ, but she made the fainl last year. She NEVER plays a grass court tuneup, but has won WImbledon twice, and made the final another time. Bluntly, this is not your normal player. She doesn't NEED tuneups. Lindsay Davenport once opined that the most amazing thing about Venus and Serena was that they played so well after such long layoffs. (In fairness, they both have the best other player onthe tour to practice against.

doesn't wanna be embarrassed

I'm not at all sure Venus CAN be embarassed on a tennis court. But she certaily wouldn't avoid a tournament over that. Venus showed up at OZ 2001 looking literally sick. And certainly before the semi as ever played, the outcome vs Hingis was forgone. If Venus shows up for a near-certain assassination (WB '03 final is another good example) she certainly isn't worried about losing in the champs.

Like Venus and Serena say: they play to win. If they don't think they can win, they wont' play.

True, but uninformative. Since both of them can win virtually any tournament they enter, they can ALWAYS win, so threy can always play.

sartrista7
Oct 19th, 2003, 07:45 PM
Venus doesn't usually play a warmup before OZ, but she made the fainl last year. She NEVER plays a grass court tuneup, but has won WImbledon twice, and made the final another time. Bluntly, this is not your normal player. She doesn't NEED tuneups. Lindsay Davenport once opined that the most amazing thing about Venus and Serena was that they played so well after such long layoffs. (In fairness, they both have the best other player onthe tour to practice against.)

Not in this case, as both are injured (and given that Serena won't be back this year, it's fair to assume she hasn't been able to practise for a while). And I think a lot of people are underestimating the severity of their injuries - less so in Venus' case, of course, but even so it's something which has affected her for over half a year. As for Serena... this is not the kind of niggling injury she usually has, but major knee surgery. How historically good she's been at returning from injury is pretty much irrelevant, as she's never had an injury this serious before.

This history is somewhat dubious anyway... it actually seems that V and S are able to return from long lay-offs and annihilate the opposition without any Tour match play - and they've tended to take these long lay-offs for non-injury related reasons. When they do return from injury, they - like any player - are always rusty for a couple of tournaments: Venus' 2000 clay season, Venus at the AO 2001, Serena at the AO 2000, Serena at Scottsdale 2002 (and yes, I know she won it).

Of course, the other side of it all is that once they've got the rustiness off, they'll be even better than ever :D

ys
Oct 19th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Venus doesn't usually play a warmup before OZ, but she made the fainl last year. She NEVER plays a grass court tuneup, but has won WImbledon twice, and made the final another time. Bluntly, this is not your normal player. She doesn't NEED tuneups.

You really believe in what you are saying or your affection to Williamses make you make a BS statements like that? You really saying that winning Wimbledon or OZ open without warmup is the same as winning Championships without warmup? That warming up in 3-4 early rounds of Slams against nobodies with zero confidence equals to having to play 3 matches in, maybe, as many days against Top 10 opposition? Well..

7~ŚLęV3ń˝
Oct 20th, 2003, 01:36 AM
Venus doesn't usually play a warmup before OZ, but she made the fainl last year. She NEVER plays a grass court tuneup, but has won WImbledon twice, and made the final another time. Bluntly, this is not your normal player. She doesn't NEED tuneups. Lindsay Davenport once opined that the most amazing thing about Venus and Serena was that they played so well after such long layoffs. (In fairness, they both have the best other player onthe tour to practice against.

ms Venus did play Eastbourne, somewhere in the 90's...

bandabou
Oct 20th, 2003, 01:52 AM
If Venus can have some match practice at Philadelphia, she will do fine at the Championships.....she knows that the Championships is tougher than a GS( when playing without match-practice), so that´s why she is making her return there.

hingis-seles
Oct 20th, 2003, 05:19 AM
The YEC championships need Venus. Without her, there is no REAL starpower.

skanky~skanketta
Oct 20th, 2003, 05:23 AM
i hope vera wins at linz. she has a good chance to!

per4ever
Oct 20th, 2003, 06:49 AM
3 GS finals is a LOT of points
did I miss a GS final? :confused:

If Venus is healthy and plays, then she'll win the Masters imo. Both Kim and Justine are tired of a long and succesful year, while Venus should be at full forces after such a break.