PDA

View Full Version : The staredown (CLIP)

Infiniti2001
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:04 AM
Vee vs Jen 2001 US Open :lol: :haha:
http://home.comcast.net/~bill.knight1/Staredown.mpg

Thanks Knizzle :kiss: :wavey:

Knizzle
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:07 AM
Venus looked at Cappy like she was straight foolish!! :haha:

ico4498
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:11 AM
aah Vee ...

Kart
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:18 AM
So this is the famous staredown that people go on about.

I saw the match but didn't particularly remember this bit.

Still, looking at it now, it's pretty funny :lol: - LOL @ Venus.

Kart
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:19 AM
Thanks for that BTW :).

Venus Forever
Oct 19th, 2003, 02:00 AM
OMG, CLASSIC!!

Just loved it!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Renee
Oct 19th, 2003, 02:13 AM
and Capriati was the one who blinked......John McEnroe

Jericho
Oct 19th, 2003, 02:17 AM
I am so freakin mad!!! I have never seen this match!!!

bandabou
Oct 19th, 2003, 02:23 AM
Yeah, Jen looked absolutely foolish....Venus stood: like when you┤re ready.... FOOL!

tennnisfannn
Oct 19th, 2003, 02:25 AM
and Capriati was the one who blinked......John McEnroe
That was trully funny. But I could understand why jen stared, she had clawed her way back from 0/40 on Venus serve by making some incredible returns to get to deuce only for Venus, (probably mad at herself) to serve an unreturnable. Jen needed time to think coz venus had the advantage, and Venus seemed to say 'You think!', and sent another booming serve to consolidate a break.
Two years on still funny :lol:

bandabou
Oct 19th, 2003, 02:32 AM
Aaah....those were the days...Venus with her poker face! I think she does that better than Serena. I love Serena┤s emotions, but what happened to her at the French, wouldn┤t have ever happened with Venus. Venus would have just put her poker face and totally shut the crowd down.

Jarrett
Oct 19th, 2003, 02:37 AM
lol, thanks for the clip

darren cahill
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:00 AM
My fave stare down....its just a pic but i love it...(I also realize its not a true 'stare down' cause Venus aint looking at her...but i just love the look on Hingis' face...what a puss)

decemberlove
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:04 AM
aaaaaaaaahahahaha at martinas face

bandabou
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:05 AM
My fave stare down....its just a pic but i love it...(I also realize its not a true 'stare down' cause Venus aint looking at her...but i just love the look on Hingis' face...what a puss)

wow, I think because Hingis is looking up, that it comes like she┤s staring Venus.

darren cahill
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:07 AM
wow, I think because Hingis is looking up, that it comes like she┤s staring Venus.

um, i dont think so! ;)

Good thing hingis shot that look while Venus WASNT looking at her...i doubt she'd do it to her face...

decemberlove, i still owe you a PM.... :kiss:

harloo
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:08 AM
I have rewinded this stare down so many times. It was so funny. Jen kept acting like she wasn't ready and at one point Venus just paused and looked at her like she was crazy and then Vee batted her eyes.

Classic! :lol:

Jericho
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:10 AM
um, i dont think so! ;)

Good thing hingis shot that look while Venus WASNT looking at her...i doubt she'd do it to her face...

yeah cuz if venus saw the look on Hingis face she would shove that trophy up her her ass...

But who knows, venus face looks like she's thinking to herself "girl you better not be doing what i think you're doing"

tennisIlove09
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:12 AM
I am so freakin mad!!! I have never seen this match!!!

You are missing some of the best backhands EVER. Jennie got up 4-1, and then Venus, and her backhand, never looked back. Venus had some amazing backhands...just amazing.

Infiniti2001
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:13 AM

Oh Yeah that one was kewl too .I got a good :lol: last week when I copied that match for someone :lol:

bandabou
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:18 AM
You are missing some of the best backhands EVER. Jennie got up 4-1, and then Venus, and her backhand, never looked back. Venus had some amazing backhands...just amazing.

Everybody started to celebrate like the Williams-Williams final wasn┤t going to happen......oooppss, spoke too soon! ┤Cause Venus still had a backhand or two to say about that!

Knizzle
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:46 AM
yeah cuz if venus saw the look on Hingis face she would shove that trophy up her her ass...

But who knows, venus face looks like she's thinking to herself "girl you better not be doing what i think you're doing"

Hingis has a twelve-head!! Damn!!

pReUrBrIyN
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:35 AM
:lol: @ Venus

:haha: @ Martina

UDiTY
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:40 AM
HAHA, good times. Venus rocks!!! The way she handled that was just soo her...hahah

U say thanks Knizzle!?!? Who's clip is it!??! :confused:

gweeny
Oct 19th, 2003, 05:42 AM
Everybody started to celebrate like the Williams-Williams final wasn┤t going to happen......oooppss, spoke too soon! ┤Cause Venus still had a backhand or two to say about that!

You are so right, I enjoyed that match so much. Those US open fans were so pro capriati it was bordering on disgusting. The staredown was so great. Venus kicked it into a new gear, and Jennifer could not keep up.

tennisIlove09
Oct 19th, 2003, 05:44 AM

Yup, Martina was #1--Jennie was #2. Together they won 11 games in the semi finals against #10 and #4. :lol: (Serena crushed Hingis 6-3 6-2; Venus waxed Jennifer 6-4 6-2)

Chance
Oct 19th, 2003, 06:22 AM
LOL

why did I tape over this match :(

geoepee
Oct 19th, 2003, 06:28 AM
I have rewinded this stare down so many times. It was so funny. Jen kept acting like she wasn't ready and at one point Venus just paused and looked at her like she was crazy and then Vee batted her eyes.

Classic! :lol:
You're not the only one! I have to be careful with that tape. I've rewound and played it so much at that part, I'm afraid it might stop playing. Good thing I have this clip. Classic Venus.

Venus, come back soon!!

LeonHart
Oct 19th, 2003, 07:14 AM
That was funny.

treufreund
Oct 19th, 2003, 07:19 AM
Capriati :devil: :haha:

Venus :fiery: :devil: :rolleyes:

7~îLŕV3˝Ż
Oct 19th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Im so sorry.. BUT WHAT WAS THAT... OMG....
*embarrassse*
Ive never seen such a thing... thanks Kniz...
any clips of that backhand?

servenrichie
Oct 19th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Capriati :devil: :haha:

Venus :fiery: :devil: :rolleyes:

Can you please slighter away with your negativity from this fun thread. I swear you are obsessed with the name Williams :devil:

Thanks for the clip Infiniti. One of my favourite Vees matches :D :lol:

Jen'sFan
Oct 19th, 2003, 10:50 AM
Erm i really wanna see this but its not working. Any suggestions?

Chance
Oct 19th, 2003, 11:09 AM
Do you have real player? At first it didn't work for me, but when I dragged the file and dropped it into realplayer, it started to play.

azza
Oct 19th, 2003, 11:49 AM
cool :bounce:

Infiniti2001
Oct 19th, 2003, 12:59 PM
HAHA, good times. Venus rocks!!! The way she handled that was just soo her...hahah

U say thanks Knizzle!?!? Who's clip is it!??! :confused:

It's mine, but knizzle was kind enough to put it up on his site , because it's too big for my fortunecity freebie :p

Astro Jetson
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:17 PM
omg ... that stare seemed to go on endlessly! That was funny. Thanks. Jennifer didn't know how to react.

nubienne954
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:23 PM
Seeing that clip only makes me miss Venus and Serena more. What a class move by Venus not to give in to the madness, get herself under control and take Cappy out.

And Jen, always remember, don't start no sh** won't be none.

JCAP
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:38 PM
Why wont mine work?

Astro Jetson
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:43 PM
Why wont mine work?

you have to wait a while until the clip is fully loaded. it depends on how fast your connection is.

tennischick
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:46 PM
so that's how Serena learned how to do it...:p ;)

bandabou
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:01 PM
so that's how Serena learned how to do it...:p ;)

That big-sis┤s are for! That was the beginning of the end for Jen, as far as beating a Williams at big tournaments.

nubienne954
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Just looked at the Venus/Martina .jpg and had to laugh out loud. Hingis looks like Chuckie getting ready to go on a tear. :lol:

Knizzle has a site? Anyone have the url?

starr
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:04 PM
Since that meltdown she had at Wimbledon, I think Venus hasn't ever blown her top on the court.

Of course, that meltdown was memorable. Maybe someone would like to post a clip. :)

Mad-About-Venus
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:09 PM
I must have seen this match about 100 times over this poast two years. I have many, many matches, but for some reason this is my ultimate favourite. It's not that the tennis is that great, because Vee didn't give Jen a chance to do anything, but it's absolute demolition... and I love that!! Jen could have been number 1 if she had won that match, and she was playing at her very best, and yet, she got run over by the Venus express.

And yes, Venus backhand was just out of this world!! What a beauty!!

I would love to see that Serena staredown at the French playing Momo. I missed that one. I heard it's even better.

sartrista7
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:11 PM
Venus :hearts:

Venus' staredown trumps anyone else's... Serena looks like she's forcing it sometimes, but that haughtiness just comes naturally to Vee. Love it :D

Infiniti2001
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:18 PM
And yes, Venus backhand was just out of this world!! What a beauty!!

I have the backhand clips-- If I can only figure out how to post them on my freebie site at Comcast :(

nubienne954
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Venus' staredown trumps anyone else's... Serena looks like she's forcing it sometimes, but that haughtiness just comes naturally to Vee. Love it

That is why Venus is called the Queen by her fans. :worship:

Knizzle
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:20 PM
I have the backhand clips-- If I can only figure out how to post them on my freebie site at Comcast :(

That's what I used to upload the clip. BTW, someone asked for my URL. My site is not up, I only use it to upload files for now.

harloo
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Venus :hearts:

Venus' staredown trumps anyone else's... Serena looks like she's forcing it sometimes, but that haughtiness just comes naturally to Vee. Love it :D

No you have it wrong.

Serena is the princess warrior, she's a fighter and she stares you down regardless of what you do.

Venus is the Queen and she is regal. She is stately and calm in all situations, and she will only stare you down if you do something that she does not appreciate.

:lol: Man I cannot wait for them to get back!!! :sad:

locks
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:50 PM
That stare down is a classic :devil: , and Mary C. “that was a stare down” :lol: .

OMG Venus’ backhand :hearts:

Ballbuster
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:58 PM
Martina couldn't take it! She was jaded, look at that face.

:haha:

jean_genie
Oct 19th, 2003, 05:23 PM
Venus is funny. Does anybody remember who she was playing (maybe at Wimbledon?) and they kept holding her up on serve and she finally kind of lost it and said "ARE YOU READY NOW????" :lol: :lol:

Mad-About-Venus
Oct 19th, 2003, 06:20 PM
Venus is funny. Does anybody remember who she was playing (maybe at Wimbledon?) and they kept holding her up on serve and she finally kind of lost it and said "ARE YOU READY NOW????" :lol: :lol:

If I'm not mistaken she was playing Ai Sugiyma at the French Open. :lol:

Knizzle
Oct 19th, 2003, 06:27 PM

The thing about it is that Venus is one of the slowest up to serve in the top ten. She plays relatively slow compared to the others. Capriati of all people shouldn't be complaining of someone playing too fast. I think maybe was she wanted to slow down was the velocity of Venus' first serve, but sadly Venus didn't comply.

Mr. Man
Oct 19th, 2003, 06:30 PM
:haha: Classic Moment from Vee and Jen.

servenrichie, Pay no attention to treufiend. :)

spooky
Oct 19th, 2003, 07:07 PM
I never understood what was Jen's reason for that stare down. What was she trying to accomplish?

Ballbuster
Oct 19th, 2003, 07:15 PM
I never understood what was Jen's reason for that stare down. What was she trying to accomplish?

She was up 4-1 in the first then all of a sudden she was down

6-4 3-2, and Venus was quickly making it 4-2 in the second.

She was utterly frustrated and totally without offense. She was so perplex and out of whack that she then decided to throw Venus out of her game and focus so that she could get some games in and probably win.

Her strategy did not work.

Knizzle
Oct 19th, 2003, 07:17 PM

She was mad because Venus looked at her like she was stupid, so then she tried to step back and stare back at Venus and of course Venus wasn't intimidated in the least.

bandabou
Oct 19th, 2003, 07:40 PM
She was mad because Venus looked at her like she was stupid, so then she tried to step back and stare back at Venus and of course Venus wasn't intimidated in the least.

Exactly.....it had NO effect. It only made Venus even more focused..

jenny161185
Oct 19th, 2003, 07:50 PM
so Id still pick jen in a fight against Venus in a fight any day! And mad-about-Venus I dont think jen was playing her bestever tennis in that match , although Venus was playing great

servenrichie
Oct 19th, 2003, 08:17 PM
so Id still pick jen in a fight against Venus in a fight any day! And mad-about-Venus I dont think jen was playing her bestever tennis in that match , although Venus was playing great

Good for you. I`d pick Venus anyday :p

bandabou
Oct 19th, 2003, 08:27 PM

You wanna put Oscar de la Hoya against Mike Tyson or Lennox Lewis?! :rolls: :scratch: :rolls:

spooky
Oct 19th, 2003, 08:41 PM

Venus only looked at her when she decided not to get into position to receive Venus' serve and then she just stared Vee down. Jen started that stare down. No I have this urge to go and watch that match again. Last night I was watching Vee and Dani at the AO and Mary butch Carrilo was ranting and raving about Dani like she was the best thing since slice bread. When they had 3 games each you could hear the glee in mary, and pams voice they were rooting for Dani to beat Venus but Venus was not having that, all they were talking about was the year before AO when the match went to 3 sets and not once did they mention that Vee was hurt. But all pam was talking about was how Jen's eye surgery cause her to lose early.

Then at one point Drysdale pump in and said that Serena and Venus put a betting on Dani in a couple of tournaments. He also mentioned the U.S. where Serena really kill her in that match. Anyway, when Venus won that match 6-4 6-3 you could hear a pin drop in the both pam and mary did not say a word it was like dead silence. Now Dani can't even beat a fly on the tennis court.

spooky
Oct 19th, 2003, 08:43 PM

Are you talking about a fist because if you are you could forget Venus she is to classy for that. I say a fist fight because I do not think you are talking about tennis seeing Vee is 4-0 against Jen.

bandabou
Oct 19th, 2003, 08:44 PM
Venus only looked at her when she decided not to get into position to receive Venus' serve and then she just stared Vee down. Jen started that stare down. No I have this urge to go and watch that match again. Last night I was watching Vee and Dani at the AO and Mary butch Carrilo was ranting and raving about Dani like she was the best thing since slice bread. When they had 3 games each you could hear the glee in mary, and pams voice they were rooting for Dani to beat Venus but Venus was not having that, all they were talking about was the year before AO when the match went to 3 sets and not once did they mention that Vee was hurt. But all pam was talking about was how Jen's eye surgery cause her to lose early.

Then at one point Drysdale pump in and said that Serena and Venus put a betting on Dani in a couple of tournaments. He also mentioned the U.S. where Serena really kill her in that match. Anyway, when Venus won that match 6-4 6-3 you could hear a pin drop in the both pam and mary did not say a word it was like dead silence. Now Dani can't even beat a fly on the tennis court.

No kidding.....Venus sure heard all the talk about Dani this and Dani that...also the crowd was booing and stuff. Just went about her business and beat wanna-be model Dani in straight sets.

You┤re right....Dani got TOTALLY crushed by Serena at the Open....even more than she already got at Wimbledon.

Knizzle
Oct 19th, 2003, 08:48 PM

Venus looked at Cappy first, but not to stare her down, just to wait for her to get in position to receive serve. Venus was a little pissed off because Capriati kept repeatedly asking for time and then Capriati was rude when she said "I'm not ready" So Venus just decided to stare at her until she was ready. Normally a player will back off the line or bounce the ball or something when their opponent asks for time, but since Cappy wanted to be rude Venus was just going to stare at her like she was stupid until she decided she was ready.

spooky
Oct 19th, 2003, 08:56 PM
Venus looked at Cappy first, but not to stare her down, just to wait for her to get in position to receive serve. Venus was a little pissed off because Capriati kept repeatedly asking for time and then Capriati was rude when she said "I'm not ready" So Venus just decided to stare at her until she was ready. Normally a player will back off the line or bounce the ball or something when their opponent asks for time, but since Cappy wanted to be rude Venus was just going to stare at her like she was stupid until she decided she was ready.

I see your point. I like jen and all but sometimes she could be a pain in the butt. Anyway I hope jen pulls herself together for 2004. The WTA really needs her in the mix.

pigam
Oct 20th, 2003, 07:35 PM
I LOOVE it :D Go venus... :)
no-one stares like she does (not even Serena ;) ) :lol: @ Jen too :)

JCAP
Oct 20th, 2003, 07:46 PM
I still cant see the clip *confuzzled* do you need real player to watch it?

pigam
Oct 20th, 2003, 07:56 PM
I still cant see the clip *confuzzled* do you need real player to watch it?
yes, I think so.
Probably not so nice too see when you're a Jen-fan, though ;)
although her reaction is kinda cute, she looks like a puzzled school-girl :)

locks
Oct 20th, 2003, 08:05 PM

Knizzle That's just the way it happened :devil: also Cappy did just about the same thing at Pilot Pen 2001.

CapFan#1
Oct 20th, 2003, 08:07 PM

How the fuck is asking for time being rude??? :confused: You contridict yourself in your own post--- you talk about other players asking for time but then call Cappy rude for doing the same :fiery: I had never seen this match or this clip until now, and it is NO BIG DEAL.. The "staredown" was seconds long! Some Venus fans ( and I really like Venus) kill me.... it isn't enoegh for you that she won the match, you have to make shit out of nothing :rolleyes: :lol:

Knizzle
Oct 20th, 2003, 08:15 PM
How the fuck is asking for time being rude??? :confused: You contridict yourself in your own post--- you talk about other players asking for time but then call Cappy rude for doing the same :fiery: I had never seen this match or this clip until now, and it is NO BIG DEAL.. The "staredown" was seconds long! Some Venus fans ( and I really like Venus) kill me.... it isn't enoegh for you that she won the match, you have to make shit out of nothing :rolleyes: :lol:

You never saw the match and you don't know how many times Capriati held her hand up taking extra time. Then in that clip she very rudely said "I'm not ready" like Venus was going to serve without her being ready for it. Who won the match has nothing to do with that staredown. I contradicted myself in no way in my post. Read it again. You just think I have something against Capriati because me and Trish go back and forth and talk shit, but me and her have an understanding and we don't really mean what we are saying about each other's favorites.

servenrichie
Oct 20th, 2003, 08:19 PM

Says someone who just tuned in to tennis. If you knew Cappy of 2001/02, you wouldnt be saying this :rolleyes:

Infiniti2001
Oct 20th, 2003, 08:32 PM

Why are you here if you've never seen the match?? :rolleyes: Some folk kill me with their self righteous attitudes :fiery: :tape: :lol:

CapFan#1
Oct 20th, 2003, 08:45 PM
Says someone who just tuned in to tennis. If you knew Cappy of 2001/02, you wouldnt be saying this :rolleyes:

I never said I just tuned into tennis. I have been watching PRO tennis since the early days of Chris Evert and Martina N. I def. knew Cappy of 2001-2002 A LOT BETTER than you did......... I happened to miss ONE match of hers ( I was out of town on business) and this was it :rolleyes:

CapFan#1
Oct 20th, 2003, 08:47 PM
Why are you here if you've never seen the match?? :rolleyes: Some folk kill me with their self righteous attitudes :fiery: :tape: :lol:

Self righteous??? get over yourself! People have made this clip out to be a 10 hour staredown and it was NOTHING..... I like Venus plenty and she was obviously the better player in this match, I just cant stand when some folk blow things out of proportion.

Ballbuster
Oct 20th, 2003, 08:48 PM

:haha: :haha:

Your fave was trying to cheat. Please Believe.

CapFan#1
Oct 20th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Why are some losers reaching for 2 year old matches to write posts about???

Ballbuster
Oct 20th, 2003, 08:52 PM
Why are some losers reaching for 2 year old matches to write posts about???

why are some losers reacting. ....and why do your fave have a lopsided loosing record against them?

CapFan#1
Oct 20th, 2003, 08:56 PM
Cheat???? How? By asking for a minute before receiving serve??? Please do explain. Now I can understand had she Held Up Her Hand, but that ain't Cappy, that be Henin....

PhoenixStorm
Oct 20th, 2003, 09:00 PM

omigod martina is looking like "bitch you better let go of my trophy."

Infiniti2001
Oct 20th, 2003, 09:01 PM
It always take 1 loser to spoil a thread. UGH

CapFan#1
Oct 20th, 2003, 09:08 PM
If you didnt want to show off in the GM, then you should have posted it in Planet Venus........ Dont cry if you are covered in worms when you opened the can....

Infiniti2001
Oct 20th, 2003, 09:47 PM
I'm not the one doing the crying ... You are the one who found fault with it and what's being said in the thread, so build a bridge and jump off it :tape:

CapFan#1
Oct 20th, 2003, 09:51 PM
I'm not the one doing the crying ... You are the one who found fault with it and what's being said in the thread, so build a bridge and jump off it :tape:

"It always take 1 loser to spoil a thread. UGH" ....And you are not the one doing the crying???? :confused: :rolleyes: I'll build that bridge and then throw your ass off of it! :tape:

Infiniti2001
Oct 20th, 2003, 09:57 PM
http://www.charlesbridge.com/gif/bookcovers/shoofly.gif

jenny161185
Oct 20th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Venus too classy for a fist fight? Lol!

locks
Oct 20th, 2003, 10:51 PM
Cheat???? How? By asking for a minute before receiving serve??? Please do explain. Now I can understand had she Held Up Her Hand, but that ain't Cappy, that be Henin....

Ah...BooHoo :kiss: this is the same person that complained about Serena holding up play each time thay played and there she was doing the same thing. :rolleyes: :eek: :tape: :lol: :kiss:

:devil: :wavey:

Mr. Man
Oct 21st, 2003, 12:51 AM
:haha: obviously something is wrong with her!! hahahha

harloo
Oct 21st, 2003, 01:23 AM
What staredown? I watched the video 3 times and saw nothing different than normal from both players. Capriati having her bitchy face and Venus having her fugly face.

Are you kidding? Even McEnroe commented on the staredown. I think he said something like, "that was just a staredown, and it looks like Venus won." :lol:

I will have to watch this one again. The match wasn't great, but the intensity of the match was electrifying.

The crowd was so pro-Capriati, and in the first set Capriati tried to over power Venus. She made a huge mistake in trying to do that. It was working at first, but she could not keep up the energy level, and once Vee started to put them thangs on her she could not handle it.

:lol:

jbone_0307
Oct 21st, 2003, 02:10 AM
nice clip!! I wish it was 2001!! I miss the old venus. Can you believe 2 years has gone by??? WOW

TM
Oct 21st, 2003, 03:11 AM
OMG. thanks for this whoever you are. I love Venus and I taped every match of hers I could see in 2001. This clip makes me want to watch that match again. :speakles:

Deira
Oct 21st, 2003, 04:11 AM
Damn Jen Jen looked stupid trying to pull that crap on Vee. Another favorite Vee staredown was at the French against Huber. If looks could kill Huber would have dropped right then and there lol.

servenrichie
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:58 AM
What staredown? I watched the video 3 times and saw nothing different than normal from both players. Capriati having her bitchy face and Venus having her fugly face.

Can you please stick your fugly face in your ass. Thanks! :fiery:

Keith
Oct 21st, 2003, 01:20 PM

I'm sorry, but I have to agree here. For sure, Venus cleaned Jen's clock that day. I will give her that but I've never seen the match, and if that is this "staredown" that people here have been talking about, then that was pretty weak. It did not look like a staredown at all. My questions is - Why is this being posted now? I know this was the last time Venus won a slam, and probably will be her last, but I'm unsure as to why it's here now?! :confused:

And why are some of you getting off on this? It's hardly even funny. I don't even know what it is and Jen totally shanked that return anyway.

Infiniti2001
Oct 21st, 2003, 02:05 PM
I'm sorry, but I have to agree here. For sure, Venus cleaned Jen's clock that day. I will give her that but I've never seen the match, and if that is this "staredown" that people here have been talking about, then that was pretty weak. It did not look like a staredown at all. My questions is - Why is this being posted now? I know this was the last time Venus won a slam, and probably will be her last, but I'm unsure as to why it's here now?! :confused:

And why are some of you getting off on this? It's hardly even funny. I don't even know what it is and Jen totally shanked that return anyway.

Oh get over yourself. :tape: The clip is here because many posters asked for it. One poster wanted it on tape (did not want the whole match) , so I decided to post it here instead.

bandabou
Oct 21st, 2003, 02:07 PM

Hey at least Venus kept winning titles.....Jen??!!

TM
Oct 21st, 2003, 03:00 PM
It wasn't exactly a "stare-down" . It was more like trying to collect themselves and concentrate. Venus won that battle. It's a shame Jen has gone to waste, look at her from 2001 (her fairytale fit year)compared to now. SAD

Keith
Oct 21st, 2003, 03:21 PM
Oh get over yourself. :tape: The clip is here because many posters asked for it. One poster wanted it on tape (did not want the whole match) , so I decided to post it here instead.

get over myself? For what? Please tell me what I should get over myself for? Idiot.

Hey at least Venus kept winning titles.....Jen??!!

Jen at least won a more recent slam. Venus won 4 out of 6 slams and then no more for 2 years plus. Being the runner up sure is a nice feat though :rolleyes: You're queen has certainly been relegated to questionable. I know Jen has taken a dive since then, butI'm not going to compare Jen to Venus when It's obvious they both have one thing in common - No GS titles in 2 years and a spiraling career! At least Venus can live vicariously through her more successful sister!

It wasn't exactly a "stare-down" . It was more like trying to collect themselves and concentrate. Venus won that battle. It's a shame Jen has gone to waste, look at her from 2001 (her fairytale fit year)compared to now. SAD

Venus since 2001 has also gone somewhat the way of Capriati. 8 slams and counting since her last victory(7 for Jen :bounce: ). Of course she has numerous Tier II titles to hold her over.

Ballbuster
Oct 21st, 2003, 03:23 PM

No, Martina is looking like "That Bitch Beat me, I can't take hearing her voice"

Infiniti2001
Oct 21st, 2003, 03:24 PM
get over myself? For what? Please tell me what I should get over myself for? Idiot.
Takes one to know one babe :p :tape:

Ballbuster
Oct 21st, 2003, 03:27 PM
I'm sorry, but I have to agree here. For sure, Venus cleaned Jen's

This is exactly why the tread was created. Jen tried to intimidate Venus and Venus blasted one of those patiented serves directly into the body.

Cappy couldn't return it. That was the point. DUHHHHHH

Keith
Oct 21st, 2003, 03:31 PM
Takes one to know one babe :p :tape:

It sure does. I just don't get why people are here calling Jen a fool and how stupid she looked because...what? She lost a match two years ago?! To Venus?! So what? Venus has lost matches before, too. Jen was outplayed, that is fine, it's tennis. But how does Jen look stupid for doing that? Everytime a player loses to another player, they are stupid? And somehow I need to get over myself for saying that. Take the tape of of your little smiley face and let me know, please.

DA FOREHAND
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:01 PM
LOL,,,what a bitter pill this lil "silly" clip has become. :lol:

I agree Venus did nothing special, she always beats Capriati. The series of backhands that put her back in the match were simply amazing.

Would someone please post that clip(s) I love the one where McEnroe says Capriati was standing there and still could only watch that backhand blow right by her.

TM
Oct 21st, 2003, 05:23 PM
yes. that was the point of the match for me. 2 laserz.

"Cah-pri-ah-ti was not far from that ball and still blew by her"

Knizzle
Oct 21st, 2003, 06:44 PM

Jen at least won a more recent slam. Venus won 4 out of 6 slams and then no more for 2 years plus. Being the runner up sure is a nice feat though :rolleyes: You're queen has certainly been relegated to questionable. I know Jen has taken a dive since then, butI'm not going to compare Jen to Venus when It's obvious they both have one thing in common - No GS titles in 2 years and a spiraling career! At least Venus can live vicariously through her more successful sister!

Venus since 2001 has also gone somewhat the way of Capriati. 8 slams and counting since her last victory(7 for Jen :bounce: ). Of course she has numerous Tier II titles to hold her over.

Venus' career is not spiraling. Making GS finals consistently and easily is not the sign of a spiraling player. Serena has obviously been better in those slam finals save for Wimbledon where Venus couldn't keep up because of her injuries. I don't see Capriati making it past the QF consistently. I know Jen is your fave and is in a tough place right now, but don't try to drag Venus down to her level because neither of them has won a slam in a while.

SerenaSlam
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:27 PM
oh i remember this match so well, venus' backhand was so on, it had jennifers number.

at one point it was a great really, and venus blasted this backhand up the line to jen's forehand, jen barely gets it back and the crowd is in aw, but venus blasts the ball right back where she sent it, jennifer has to be like inches from the ball, this is how bad venus had her faked out. jennnifer just couldn't hang with venus this day. this venus was just too good, backhand forehand, serve and all. the sisters just took over the usopen during 2001.

locks
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:36 PM
Keith are you on that stuff :lol: yep..you are a Cappy fan :hearts:

How many times Jenny couldn't close it out this year? Just make her go 3 set :kiss: and how did she get her only title in over a year by default :eek: :tape: :kiss:

No roids... no titles ;)

:wavey:

Keith
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:47 PM
I know Jen is your fave and is in a tough place right now, but don't try to drag Venus down to her level because neither of them has won a slam in a while.

I haven't said that Jen's career has me in a bad mood. The woman is a multi-millionaire that has the best job ever, and somehow I should be jaded if she happens to lose close matches or gets blown away by someone? Sure, I like when she wins, but it has no effect on my life. So go ahead and try to hurt me by saying how bad her tennis is. I am unaffected by it all. Unlike yourself.

Keith are you on that stuff :lol: yep..you are a Cappy fan :hearts:

How many times Jenny couldn't close it out this year? Just make her go 3 set :kiss: and how did she get her only title in over a year by default :eek: :tape: :kiss:

Again, should I feel bad that Jen almost won the US Open but fell apart? Should I feel hurt by what you said? Obviously you were hurt with what I said about Venus and if you have hurt feelings when someone has a negative (but true) thing to say about someone you will never know, then that is truly sad. Trying to make me feel bad for people that have more money than they know what to do with and crazy people like you adoring their every fart is all that they need. Get a grip. You can say whatever you want about Jen. I enjoy watching her play and I root for her. But I don't become offended when someone tries to hurt me by attacking her. Silly fucker.

locks
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:51 PM
BOO Hooo :wavey: Cappay can't win in 3 :wavey: :lol:

Knizzle
Oct 21st, 2003, 07:52 PM
I haven't said that Jen's career has me in a bad mood. The woman is a multi-millionaire that has the best job ever, and somehow I should be jaded if she happens to lose close matches or gets blown away by someone? Sure, I like when she wins, but it has no effect on my life. So go ahead and try to hurt me by saying how bad her tennis is. I am unaffected by it all. Unlike yourself.

I didn't say Jen's losing had you in a bad mood. I am unaffected by Venus and Serena's successes/failures also. I am not childish enough to try and hurt someone by saying their favorite plays bad tennis and once again I just said Jenny was having a tough time right now. I don't understand why you are so heated.

Diya
Oct 21st, 2003, 08:08 PM
Venus fans haven't had much to cheer about for the past few years and so i understand that they are desperate. If posting 'clips' from two years back helps their cause then......never mind ;) :tape:

Rocketta
Oct 21st, 2003, 11:05 PM
:lol: This clip rocked!

Ohh and the over sensitivity is funny too! :lol:

Deira
Oct 21st, 2003, 11:32 PM
Jen Jen looked stupid because she was obviously trying to sike Venus out, but only managed to do that to herself.

harloo
Oct 21st, 2003, 11:41 PM
Infinti, you just should avoid these people.

Also the staredown was discussed when it first occured. It was hilarious then, and it's hilarious now.

I think what made it so funny was Jen kept putting her hand up to signal she was not ready. So when she put her hand up the last time Venus paused and looked at her like she was crazy, it was a pretty long pause. lol Then the camera flashed back at Jen and she was cussing to herself looking like "WHATEVER", and then they flipped it back to Venus and she batted her eyes and proceeded too serve.

I could not stop laughing when I originally saw the staredown. I am gonna have to watch this one again.

:lol: