PDA

View Full Version : Dokic: I'd like to play in Australia

jd4eva
Oct 19th, 2003, 12:31 AM
From: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20031018/sp_wl_afp/tennis_wta_swi_031018161016

The win also appears to have moved Dokic closer to making a decision about whether she will play at the Australian Open (news - web sites) in January.

She has missed the last two years after her controversial father, Damir, criticised Tennis Australia for lack of support and moved the family back to Europe.

"I would like to go there and play and start the season at the same time as everyone else and not have a disadvantage," she said. "I'm definitely thinking about that and I think it's a possibility."

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 19th, 2003, 12:42 AM
Come back to us, Jelena.

Fyndh0rnElf
Oct 19th, 2003, 12:48 AM
I think she missed Australia badly, and has often talked about how much she misses her friends from her teenage years. She is afraid of the media response and of the Australian public overall, because of the things her father said. She was just a kid when she left Australia, but I think the aussie fans like her still

jenny161185
Oct 19th, 2003, 12:55 AM
Yeah it'd be sad if she was jeered or anything --- her father was totally in control of her and she was young ---- give Jelena a chance!

bandabou
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:03 AM
Good decision.....but if that means she wanna play olympics for the Ozīs...hell no! Molik, Pratt, et al are more deserving.

Fyndh0rnElf
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:04 AM
Good decision.....but if that means she wanna play olympics for the Ozīs...hell no! Molik, Pratt, et al are more deserving.

Of course. But if she is willing to help, will they turn her down because of what happened in the past?

SpikeyAidanm
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:08 AM
Jelena, plz come back, you will make my life so much brighter :)

jd4eva
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:12 AM
bandabou: please enlighten me as to where jelena mentioned the olympics in her post. oh wait, that's right she didn't. as a williams fan you, of all people, should know the worthless merit of assumptions.

anyway, i hope she does start the season there and i think she'll climb the rankings in a huge way next year if this week is anything to go by.

bandabou
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:21 AM
bandabou: please enlighten me as to where jelena mentioned the olympics in her post. oh wait, that's right she didn't. as a williams fan you, of all people, should know the worthless merit of assumptions.

anyway, i hope she does start the season there and i think she'll climb the rankings in a huge way next year if this week is anything to go by.

so they start....Iīd like to play in Australia, then I want to play for Australia...itīs an easy way! No way....that would be a HUGE slight to the REAL ozīs. The girl totally put the oz school down....that kind of things shouldnīt be brushed away just like that.

spiceboy
Oct 19th, 2003, 10:54 PM
Dokic '50-50' for Melbourne

From correspondents in Zurich

JELENA DOKIC claimed a welcome 4-6 7-5 6-1 victory over American Alexandra Stevenson in the WTA tournament here today, then announced she will soon make a decision on playing the Australian Open.

She has not played at the year's first Grand Slam since 2001, after her controversial father, Damir, criticised Tennis Australia for lack of support and moved the family back to Europe.

"It's definitely on my mind," she said.

"I'll make up my mind in the next few weeks. I would love to go back and play, and it's fifty-fifty at the moment.

"It's been a long season and it depends how I feel, and I want to cut (the number of) my tournaments down to around 20 or 22 next year."

Kart
Oct 19th, 2003, 11:05 PM
Weren't there problems when she played Davenport in the first round a few years ago ?

I think it would be nice if Jelena played in Oz again if she's ready to.

Re: Olympics - playing in Oz is quite different from playing for Oz.