PDA

View Full Version : Zina Garrison (Jackson)

lizchris
Oct 18th, 2003, 08:44 PM
I was wondering if she ever had any children with her ex husband (who she divorced in 1997).

Rollo
Oct 18th, 2003, 11:13 PM
Her book mentioned no children. She was still playing when they divorced.

jean_genie
Oct 18th, 2003, 11:22 PM
Funny, I was watching the Lindsay-Venus 2001 Wimbledon semi the other day and Zina was co-commentating with Navratilova and Mary C. and she mentioned how she tells "her kids to keep running for the ball" just like Venus did or something. So maybe she does have children. Could she have been talking about kids that she teaches tennis to??

Brian Stewart
Oct 18th, 2003, 11:26 PM
She was talking about the kids in her program.

Rocketta
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:48 AM
I didn't know her and her husband divorced? :sad:

He was cute....:o

Ted of Teds Tennis
Oct 19th, 2003, 05:15 AM
Rocketta wrote:
I didn't know her and her husband divorced?

He was cute....

Unfortunately, he was also mentally abusive. :(

sylvain
Oct 19th, 2003, 09:46 AM
Her book mentioned no children. She was still playing when they divorced.

Have ryou read her book? is it interesting?

GermanBoy
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:56 PM
I was wondering if she ever had any children with her ex husband (who she divorced in 1997).

Didn`t know she is divorced... :eek:

lizchris
Oct 19th, 2003, 02:16 PM
Didn`t know she is divorced... :eek:

She divorced him after she caught him cheating.

Rollo
Oct 19th, 2003, 02:29 PM
To be honest I thought the book could have been much better, but I think that's true of a lot of tennis books. The strong parts were her struggles growing up from a poor family, the racial things she had to deal with, and most of all her fight with bulimia, a topic no other woman on tour has been so honest about.

She dishes a little dirt at Monica and others, such as Pam Shriver.
I laughed when she wrote she was much better than Helena Sukova.

It could have been longer IMO. Just when she gets ahold of a juicy subject she drops it and moves on. Perhaps my biases (white and male)
got in the way, but so do hers, because she goes on about racial stereotypes and then trots her own out. She doesn't want others prejudging her as a woman but then trashes men in general (and black men in particular) after talking about her divorce. I got the impression the divorce made her REALLY bitter.

The most interesting part to me was her on again/off again friendship with Lori McNeil. The paranoia towards Lori and the coach they shared is all too common in women's tennis. Mcneil was good friends with Robin Givens and Mike Tyson, but Zina doesn't discuss that.

Those are my scattered thoughts. It's a good read but will leave you wanting more and feeling very sad for Zina.

Fantastic
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:47 PM
Robin Givens was Maid of Honour at Zina's wedding. Not sure if Lori was a bridesmaid or even there. What a strange little group of friends they were. Robin was also there during Lori's great Wimbledon run in 1994. Robin made breakfast for Lori every morning and forced Lori to do the dishes to take her mind off things so that she wouldn't be too nervous going into matches. Then I heard stories where Mike Tyson once beat up Lori, either by accident or as a consequence of beating up on Robin at the same time. Reportedly, Mike sent Lori flowers to apologize. Gee, what a gentleman. :rolleyes:

Had no idea Zina divorced Willard. He didn't strike me as being a bad guy re: mentally abusive but it goes to show you can never really tell about people.

I loved Zina's wiggle as she was receiving serve. My sister and I used to call it the "bum dance". We even made up a song about it. The tune of our ditty was to some obscure song we were taught to sing in primary school. It went something like, "Zina, Zina, Zina, Zina, watch her little booty wiggle, on the tennis court." LOL. Not very imaginative but it had us in stitches for hours as kids. Hey, we made up a song! We thought it was hilarious.

Zina was also unorthodox in the way she held her racquet halfway up the grip. It wasn't bad enough that she was a short girl, but by holding her racquet the way she did, it shortened her reach, which was made even more stranger considering she was serve-volleying inclined.

tennischick
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:51 PM
what is the name of her book? i didn't even know she had written one!

starr
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:52 PM
Zina always seemed very sad and unhappy to me. I hope she has found happiness now.

Rollo
Oct 19th, 2003, 05:44 PM
I loved that little butt shake too Fantastic! I used to call it "the bumblebee". I was very lucky to see Zina and Lori the same afternoon.
It was Tokyo, 1989 and I saw Lori upset Chris Evert (great match, a 3rd set tiebreak!) Garrison, Martina Navratilova, and Mary Joe Fernandez beat Sabatini. I was in tennis heaven :angel:

Tennischick-the book is called Zina:My Life in Women's Tennis.
Zina has been assisting BJK with Fed Cup the past couple of years.

tennisjam
Oct 19th, 2003, 07:10 PM
the butt shake was cool :cool:

...but Zina taking all her time to serve used to make me go :fiery: