PDA

View Full Version : Will we ever see a 30-year-old woman win a major?

JennyS
Oct 18th, 2003, 07:05 PM
In the last couple of years, there have been two men in their 30’s winning Grand Slams (Sampras and Agassi), yet there hasn’t been a woman winning a Grand Slam over the age of 30 in a while. I think Steffi was 29 when she won the 1999 French Open.

I just find it very interesting that there are 40-year-old football players, even though football is a million times more brutally physical than tennis. There are also 40-year-old basketball, hockey and basketball players and plenty of quarterbacks playing well into their mid-late 30’s. Many of the women’s world cup players were in their 30’s also.

I think it would be neat to see a 30-year-old woman win a major in the coming years.

pReUrBrIyN
Oct 18th, 2003, 07:05 PM
Serena/Chanda/Jennifer/Lindsay, so many possible :p

pReUrBrIyN
Oct 18th, 2003, 07:06 PM
Venus...

Rtael
Oct 18th, 2003, 07:22 PM
Nancy.....

christo
Oct 18th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Mary also!!!

Reichen
Oct 18th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Sandrine:)!!

vogus
Oct 19th, 2003, 12:09 AM
it's highly unlikely to happen with the current crop of over-30 and near-30 players, who are all looking pretty beat up and haggard. Best chance is Capriati, but she won't be 30 until Paris '06, who knows if she'll even still be playing then. You'll have to be patient but i'm sure that if you wait long enough, sometime in the next 10, 15, 20 years it's going to happen.

JennyS
Oct 19th, 2003, 12:13 AM
I agree that Jennifer probably has the best chance to win a major at age 30 of the current players who are in their late 20's. I think if Jennifer plays a light fall schedule over the next couple of years, she has a good chance to still be a contender in her early 30's.

disposablehero
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:20 AM
Graf had her 30th birthday during or within days after the 99 RG. Novotna was probably 30 when she won Wimbledon. Martina won it at 33 and was in the Final at 37. I can't possibly imagine why it wouldn't happen again.

bandabou
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:23 AM
I think either if not both Williams could do it....I think they can be good well in their thirties.

tyk101
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:32 AM
seles!

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:33 AM
No reason in theory why it shouldn't happen more often. Many athletes in many sports are at their peak in their early 30s.

There seems to be a culture in tennis, especially women's tennis, of thinking that 30 is "old". Maybe it's because so many players seem to be hampered by chronic injuries by their late 20s (or even earlier with players such as Martina H). If someone can have a good career without many injuries they can still be as good as ever at about, say, 33 and remain competitve even for a few years after that.

As we've seen with Martina N., you can be competitive at the less physically demanding doubles game even in your mid-40s.

Colin B
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:36 AM
Ai Sugiyama 2005 US Open. ;)

franny
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:38 AM
Alright, I'd hate to say it, but I don't see anyone in the near future being able to win a slam at age 30 or over. Jennifer Capriati? Sorry, but if she can't win a grand slam when she's 27 then she's not going to win a slam when she's 30. Jennifer has reached her peak and is just going to go downhill from this point on. 2002 she wins 1 title-a slam. 2003 she wins 1 title-a tier two. She's not winning a slam at age 30. And Serena and Venus? If these two girls have trouble staying healthy playing 8 tournaments a year at age 21/22, then how in the world can we expect them to be playing when they are 30? Truth is, I don't see either of these two playing past age 26. They just don't have the body for it because they play so physically. Kim, she's not gonna reach age 30 playing on the tour. She puts such physical stress on her body that she will burn out. Same with Justine. Women just reach their physical peaks earlier then men, and thats the way it is. I used to think that Martina would be able to play till 30, but honestly, if she can't do it, then I seriously can't see anyone else being able to play till age 30 and be successful at the same time. Today's game is too physically demanding and these girls are out here playign since their teens. 10 years on the tour will just wear you out. The men are different in that they start in their 20's and they have such booming serves to win cheap points. Plus they don't have as much long rallys as the women so obviously they can maintain their peaks for a year or two longer. Even at that, only a few men have been able to win past 30. Most grand slam winners nowadays are 18-26.

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:49 AM
That's true, it does wear you out. I don't believe in shortening the season, but I do think that they should have the good sense to set themselves more sensible schedules.

Look at boxing. Sure, Ali and Holyfield were foolish thinking they were still at their peak at about 40. The reflexes just do slow down by that point. But they really were still at their peak in their early to mid 30s.

The trouble with tennis isn't that you have to be much younger than that to have the speed, reflexes etc to play at the highest level. It is that people get worn down with minor injury after minor injury. Maybe we just shouldn't expect the top players to play in as many tournaments as they do.

canoe.
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:54 AM
Alright, I'd hate to say it, but I don't see anyone in the near future being able to win a slam at age 30 or over. Jennifer Capriati? Sorry, but if she can't win a grand slam when she's 27 then she's not going to win a slam when she's 30. Jennifer has reached her peak and is just going to go downhill from this point on. 2002 she wins 1 title-a slam. 2003 she wins 1 title-a tier two. She's not winning a slam at age 30. And Serena and Venus? If these two girls have trouble staying healthy playing 8 tournaments a year at age 21/22, then how in the world can we expect them to be playing when they are 30? Truth is, I don't see either of these two playing past age 26. They just don't have the body for it because they play so physically. Kim, she's not gonna reach age 30 playing on the tour. She puts such physical stress on her body that she will burn out. Same with Justine. Women just reach their physical peaks earlier then men, and thats the way it is. I used to think that Martina would be able to play till 30, but honestly, if she can't do it, then I seriously can't see anyone else being able to play till age 30 and be successful at the same time. Today's game is too physically demanding and these girls are out here playign since their teens. 10 years on the tour will just wear you out. The men are different in that they start in their 20's and they have such booming serves to win cheap points. Plus they don't have as much long rallys as the women so obviously they can maintain their peaks for a year or two longer. Even at that, only a few men have been able to win past 30. Most grand slam winners nowadays are 18-26.
:lol: :rolleyes: Not sure what medical journal you got "Women just reach their physical peaks earlier than men" lol..also "The men are different in that they start in their 20's"..LMAO..next thing you know you'll be selling that the guys are all college grads.Ah,the male players start in their teens as well.I don't see why any of the players you listed couldn't win a slam in her 30's.I don't think its any easier for a guy to win a slam in his 30's than it is for a Woman.

tennisIlove09
Oct 19th, 2003, 06:45 AM
I'd put money on Venus, since she's planning on playing until 33. If Serena plays that long, she could as well.

Jennifer--only if US Open 03 happens again, no sisters.

azza
Oct 19th, 2003, 11:59 AM
Nicole Pratt futUre slam winner :D

azza
Oct 19th, 2003, 12:51 PM
i hope ;)

Experimentee
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:18 PM
I think Venus or Serena could do it if they keep themselves healthy. Probably Davenport or Capriati wont, since they cant even win Slams now at 27. Justine might be able to.

JennyS
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:24 PM
No reason in theory why it shouldn't happen more often. Many athletes in many sports are at their peak in their early 30s.

There seems to be a culture in tennis, especially women's tennis, of thinking that 30 is "old". Maybe it's because so many players seem to be hampered by chronic injuries by their late 20s (or even earlier with players such as Martina H). If someone can have a good career without many injuries they can still be as good as ever at about, say, 33 and remain competitve even for a few years after that.

As we've seen with Martina N., you can be competitive at the less physically demanding doubles game even in your mid-40s.

I agree with what you said about the tennis culture. I think part of the reason is because tennis players often start at a younger age, so by the time they get to their early 30's, they seem "old."

In figure skating, people are calling Michelle Kwan at 23 "old" since she's been in the public eye since she was 12 or 13. And in gymnastics, it seems like 25 is on the "old" side.

JennyS
Oct 19th, 2003, 03:30 PM
I still wouldn't count Capriati out for another Slam. Many of her losses have been because she got too nervous. If she can get her confidence back then she can. Nobody thought she would win a Slam a few years back, so I can't ever count her out.