PDA

View Full Version : article on Jela-Kim

maryjane
Oct 18th, 2003, 04:32 PM
ZURICH, Switzerland (AP) Top-ranked Kim Clijsters was upset by Jelena Dokic 1-6, 6-3, 6-4 Saturday in the Swisscom Challenge semifinals, giving Justine Henin-Hardenne a shot at No. 1.
Henin-Hardenne reached her 11th final of 2003 by eliminating Nadia Petrova 6-4, 6-4. She can replace Clijsters atop the WTA Tour rankings by beating Dokic on Sunday.

Henin-Hardenne won seven titles this year, including the French Open and U.S. Open, and is currently ranked a career-high No. 2. She could have overtaken Clijsters last week but lost to her in an all-Belgian final at Filderstadt, Germany.

Dokic, meanwhile, will be playing in her first title match of the season. She's fallen from No. 4 to No. 25 in the rankings and hadn't won four straight matches in 2003 until this week.

Clijsters completely dominated their opening set, sweeping the first three games in just six minutes, then breaking Dokic again for a 5-1 edge.

But Dokic's powerful forehand started sizzling in the second set, and she broke serve to lead 3-1 when Clijsters double-faulted.

Clijsters' error into the net allowed Dokic to break for a 3-2 advantage in the third set. Later, on match point, Clijsters sent a shot long.

Clijsters might have been bothered by the fall she took late Friday during a doubles match.

Henin-Hardenne has pulled out of a tournament in Linz, Austria, next week, citing fatigue

kim4eva
Oct 18th, 2003, 04:33 PM
Kim :sad:

maryjane
Oct 18th, 2003, 04:34 PM
Clijsters might have been bothered by the fall she took late Friday during a doubles match.

what's this fall???
I think it has been a mistake to play the double.She had to keep all her energies for the singles,it's the end of the season,it's obvious to have few energies and she looked tired against Jela.
Justine said the same thing of me in the interview after the match.She has to focus on singles and to keep the enrgy she can't waste in doubles.

moby
Oct 18th, 2003, 04:37 PM
i think kim should follow justine's example and pull out of seat open

she'll get more rest that way

bandabou
Oct 18th, 2003, 04:41 PM
i think kim should follow justine's example and pull out of seat open

she'll get more rest that way

Yeah, so we can find another Clijsters on the trophy list......or maybe not.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Oct 18th, 2003, 04:53 PM
:) Jelena. This is the best day :)

alexusjonesfan
Oct 18th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Don't mean to hijack your thread maryjane but I found another article on the matches today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/3203494.stm

Clijsters stunned by Dokic

Swisscom Challenge, Zurich

Jelena Dokic provided one of the upsets of the season by beating world number one Kim Clijsters 1-6 6-3 6-4 to reach the final.

Clijsters had been expected to set up a repeat of last week's Filderstadt final against Justine Henin-Hardenne, who earlier saw off Nadia Petrova.

However, despite taking the first set at a canter, Clijsters could not contend with a fast-improving Dokic.

Clijsters will lose the number one spot if Henin-Hardenne wins the title.

Dokic, who has fallen from fourth to 25th in the rankings this season, has been enjoying a return to form in Zurich where she has also ousted fifth seed Chanda Rubin and defending champion Patty Schynder.

"Even if I lost I wanted to go off court knowing I had given it everything," she said afterwards.

"I haven't had a great time but now I feel I have got my head together and got my tennis together."

The win against Clijsters marked the first time Dokic had won four consecutive matches this season.

Clijsters dominated the opening set, sweeping through the first three games in six minutes before breaking the increasingly frustrated Dokic again at 4-1.

But the Serbia-Montenegro player rallied in the second.

She troubled Clijsters with her sizzling forehand and recorded the only break of the set to go up 3-1 when Clijsters surprisingly double-faulted on the first of two break points.

Dokic held her nerve to successfully hold on to her advantage and broke again to take a 3-2 lead in the decider.

The Belgian threatened her opponent's serve only once after that and went long on the first match point to concede defeat.

Henin-Hardenne struggled with fatigue and injury but advanced
Henin-Hardenne reached her second final in two weeks with a hard-fought 6-4 6-4 win over Petrova.

The world number two has withdrawn from next week's event in Austria because of fatigue and against Petrova, she was also troubled by inflamed tendons in her right knee.

"For a few days I have felt pain in my knee cap and I have some blisters on my foot as well," she said.

"It is okay, I can play, but it is bothering me sometimes and it is tough but I just tried to do my job today."

Henin-Hardenne was far from her best against Petrova but the Russian was too careless to take advantage.

Both sets featured five breaks of serve as neither player was able to take control, but Henin-Hardenne reserved her best tennis for the crucial moments.

treufreund
Oct 18th, 2003, 05:33 PM
tough it out JUSTINE and then rest for 15 days with no training for two days, then light training followed by some intense training, readjustment to LA, then some good hitting and be ready to rumble in LA!!!