PDA

View Full Version : Hingis will be at AO '04

Smash
Oct 18th, 2003, 12:49 PM
She's not playing tennis though. She will be working for Austrialian channel 7 commentating on the matches. But at least the AO will be more interesting since she'll be there. :p ;) :D :cool: :worship:

go hingis
Oct 18th, 2003, 01:11 PM
r u serious, this is great news. Martina down under. I wonder if she will be also doing press things for the adidas int.

azza
Oct 18th, 2003, 01:14 PM
YES :woohoo:

tennnisfannn
Oct 18th, 2003, 01:16 PM
She's not playing tennis though. She will be working for Austrialian channel 7 commentating on the matches. But at least the AO will be more interesting since she'll be there. :p ;) :D :cool: :worship:
Will she be doing it for the entire two weeks or will she make some token appearances? Either way, that should be exciting.

Smash
Oct 18th, 2003, 01:46 PM
Will she be doing it for the entire two weeks or will she make some token appearances? Either way, that should be exciting.

The swiss paper this came from didn't give specifics. They just said she's gunna be there commentating not playing.

Fantastic
Oct 18th, 2003, 01:48 PM
That's cool. :)

Daniel
Oct 18th, 2003, 01:52 PM
Martina :yeah: :dance: :worship: :D

Rothes
Oct 18th, 2003, 02:00 PM
Blick should have something out by Monday I persume

Experimentee
Oct 18th, 2003, 02:01 PM
Thats great! I look forward to hearing her comments on tv. She'd better be good!

moby
Oct 18th, 2003, 02:20 PM
singapore better show the australian coverage or i'll personally strangle the people in charge

gorecki
Oct 18th, 2003, 02:36 PM
:bounce:

irinska
Oct 18th, 2003, 03:20 PM
The news came from Tages-Anzeiger paper but I read it in
www.tagblatt.ch . Lucky australians !

Chance
Oct 18th, 2003, 03:31 PM
that sounds great!
can you imagine Martina commentating on a Venus match, I can't wait.

Kart
Oct 18th, 2003, 03:39 PM
Sunset I love your avatar :hearts:.

mexicotrip
Oct 18th, 2003, 04:15 PM
I wonder if she will be full of herself (ala Christ Evert, or very object and knowledgeable (ala Martina Navratilova))

Ballbuster
Oct 18th, 2003, 04:19 PM
:rolleyes:

TM
Oct 18th, 2003, 04:30 PM
great she can really perfect her Englishing :)

Martian Willow
Oct 18th, 2003, 04:40 PM
...bloody Australians... :sad:

Martian KC
Oct 18th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Lucky Aussies!!>+<

gmak
Oct 18th, 2003, 04:48 PM
martina :hearts: :lick: :drool:

lucky aussies indeed ;)

Jen'sFan
Oct 18th, 2003, 05:05 PM
Shame she cant come and do some commentating over here in England. I dunno who they are but they are awful.

tennisIlove09
Oct 18th, 2003, 05:12 PM
I wonder if she will be full of herself (ala Christ Evert, or very object and knowledgeable (ala Martina Navratilova))

Very good question indeed

bandabou
Oct 18th, 2003, 05:13 PM
Great.....maybe we will finally get someone who DOES know what she´s talking about.

MisterQ
Oct 18th, 2003, 05:26 PM
I'm fascinated to hear how she does as a commentator. Didn't we always want to get inside that brain of hers and see how she thinks about the game?!

I do hope that she is not self-centered in her commenting, as Evert often was.

jenny161185
Oct 18th, 2003, 06:22 PM
it ll be weird seeing her commentating on say cappy-serena match - she should be there!

treufreund
Oct 18th, 2003, 06:50 PM
I want HINGIS commentating on a SERENA-VENUS QUARTERFINAL ;)

DEETHELICK
Oct 18th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Thats great news. Martina, I'm sure, will keep viewers entertained with her insight into the game and into the players!

I hope we get to hear some in the UK too! :)

TonyP
Oct 18th, 2003, 09:19 PM
I never thought Chris was full of herself.

McEnroe, now there's somebody who is full of himself. He almost talks more about himself than he does about the matches.

But personally, while it will be fun to hear Martina do a little of this, I doubt that she'll do too much of it, because she has a lot of other things going on in her life.

But since I live in the US, I'll be lucky to hear a sentence or two. Now, if I can only get my cable provider to carry Channel 7 from Australia...

But I don't think it will be "bloody likely" we'll be hearing much of Hingis down under up here in the States.

SpikeyAidanm
Oct 19th, 2003, 12:43 AM
Great news, I wasn't able to hear Kournikova at the US Open because I have Aussie Tv, but thankfully my patience pays dividends here, and I can here Martina :hearts: :banana:

tennisjam
Oct 19th, 2003, 06:48 PM
:cool:

...imagine her saying something like: "That Venus' backhand is so dangerous when she plays like this and believe me, I know what I am talking about..." ;)

her voice sounds funny...wonder what it will be like...

Consistency
Oct 20th, 2003, 02:36 AM
But I don't think it will be "bloody likely" we'll be hearing much of Hingis down under up here in the States.

No, unfortunately we're stuck with Pam Shriver :mad:, and that's a shame. :sobbing:

I always thought Martina would be an interesting commentator if she improved her English.

Ballbuster
Oct 20th, 2003, 02:41 AM
I want HINGIS commentating on a SERENA-VENUS QUARTERFINAL ;)

me too, too bad she can't help Venus out with her current losing record against Serena....Since Martins has one also.

Vincent
Oct 20th, 2003, 04:55 AM
What a news!!!:)

hingis-seles
Oct 20th, 2003, 04:57 AM
I'll be getting the Live tennis feed from Tennis Australia. Does that mean I'll get to hear her?

Smart
Oct 20th, 2003, 08:31 AM
pff..I already thought something else while reading this topic.

hingis-seles
Oct 20th, 2003, 01:52 PM
*bump*

Answer my question, anyone!!!

TonyP
Oct 21st, 2003, 01:02 PM
Some additional, interesting news.

According to some European publications, Martina will be at Staples Center for the year end championships, serving as a commentator for Eurosport.

She will also be conducting a clinic for Adidas, but she will pick upa microphone for the first time at the year end championships.

And she is also apparently planning to go to Sydney to better prepare herself for her AO debut.

According to a new interview, she is also continuing her studies in English and in German, so perhaps she will be doing some regular commentary work.

But we'll have to see. Not everyone is good at it and not everyone actually likes doing it, once they try it.

Martina would seem to have such an outgoing personality and is so knowledgable about tennis, that she would be a perfect fit.

But, we'll have to wait and see.

tennischick
Oct 21st, 2003, 01:09 PM
nice news. i miss her! she was so terrific for tennis.

Chance
Oct 21st, 2003, 01:25 PM
*bump*

Answer my question, anyone!!!

yes you should be getting the same coverage.

Kart, what do you think of my avatar now ;)

SerialKiller#69
Oct 22nd, 2003, 10:46 PM
That will be interesting.

croat123
Oct 22nd, 2003, 11:24 PM
why can't she work for f!cking espn??? we need a decent commentator!

anyways, nice to hear something good about her

moon
Oct 22nd, 2003, 11:30 PM
why can't she work for f!cking espn??? we need a decent commentator!

anyways, nice to hear something good about her

I can see it now Pam, Mary Jo, and Martina :rolleyes:

Let her stay on Eurosport, or wherever she is.

Smash
Oct 23rd, 2003, 01:04 AM
For The AO she's working for channel 7 and for the year end championships she'll be working for Eurosport (German.) So at least she'll have some experience before she goes to Austrialia. She will have one heck of a learning curve but she can do it.

ASTRID
Oct 23rd, 2003, 04:50 AM
thats great news. I will be going to the Open hopefully she is signing some Autographs and answering some of our questions. I know Martina loves Australia so hopefully she sticks around for the whole 2 weeks.