PDA

View Full Version : Serena Williams finished for the 2003 season

tennisIlove09
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:22 PM
Serena Williams finished for the 2003 season

October 17, 2003
ST. PETERSBURG, Florida (Ticker) - Serena Williams, sidelined for more than two months with a left knee injury, withdrew from the Advanta Championships in Philadelphia and season-ending WTA Tour Championships in Los Angeles on Friday.

Friday's news effectively ends Williams' season.

Williams had surgery to repair a partial tear in her left quadriceps tendon on August 1. Although she has been progressing in rehabilitation, she has been advised to stay out of competition and continue her training to ensure she will be at top condition when she returns to action.

"I really miss playing tennis and I can't wait to come back and compete," she said in a statement. "However, I feel that I need more time to prepare and get myself in the best shape possible."

Williams, who has not played since winning Wimbledon in July, finished the season with a 38-3 record. She started the year by capturing her fourth straight Grand Slam title at the Australian Open and her first 21 matches. Williams was ranked No. 1 before her injury.

harloo
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:25 PM
Smart move. Serena does not feel pressure to come back too early and re-aggravate her injury. Get well Serena!! :D

joao
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:27 PM
Well ... she ended the season as she started it : by winning a GS! GO SERENA!!!:)

joao
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:28 PM
Hope Venus can play! With Davenport out and Serena out, Venus is definitely in for LA!

Venus Forever
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:28 PM
Rest that knee Serena!!

Come back Strong in Australia!! :bounce:

CanadianBoy21
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:29 PM
Yeah, get well Serena!
It was a great season nonetheless. 2 grand slams is not shabby at all. I'm sure when she comes back she will be the superwomen.

JennyS
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:29 PM
I think Serena made the right decision to take the rest of the year off.

Since she is missing a full six months of tennis, does that mean she will be seeded #1 at the Australian Open, due to injury protected ranking?

JennyS
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:30 PM
I hope that Venus is able to play in LA.

switz
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:40 PM
sad that serena's out, but this really opens the door for chanda to get it, which makes me very happy. believe me, i need this after patty's drubbing..

JennyS
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:47 PM
It looks like the WTA Championships field will now look like this:

1. Justine
2. Kim
3. Jennifer
4. Amelie
5. Venus (if she is ready to play)
6. Elena
7 and 8- 2 players from Anastasia, Chanda, Nadia, Ai and Vera. Three players from this group if Venus can't play.

alexusjonesfan
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:49 PM
It looks like the WTA Championships field will now look like this:

1. Justine
2. Kim
3. Jennifer
4. Amelie
5. Venus (if she is ready to play(
6. Elena
7 and 8- 2 players from Anastasia, Chanda, Nadia, Ai and Vera. Three players from this group if Venus can't play.

looks good, though may I suggest keeping Kim in no.1? Justine has points coming off next week won't be no.1 before the Wtachamps (she may get it this week but that rank would only last for a week)

tennisIlove09
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:49 PM
I'm sorry, but with Serena out...and Venus questionable, the year ending champs is looking like the boring US Open all over again (no offense, but I found the Open boring, except the Jennie-Juju semi)

Kart
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:51 PM
I've always thought it was overly optimistic for her to expect to come back from major surgery before the end of the season.

I think she's made a sensible decision and I hope she comes back strong :).

Hopefully we'll still see Venus before the end of the year though.

lizchris
Oct 18th, 2003, 12:01 AM
No surprise. I just she comes back better than ever in 2004.

It is certain that Venus will qualify for they YEC. The question is will she play.

bandabou
Oct 18th, 2003, 12:14 AM
Too bad that babygirl isn´t going to play anymore....so it seems like only Venus( if she plays) could prevent another all-Belgian final.

Rest well babygirl and come back strong next year!

selesfan
Oct 18th, 2003, 01:05 AM
looks good, though may I suggest keeping Kim in no.1? Justine has points coming off next week won't be no.1 before the Wtachamps (she may get it this week but that rank would only last for a week)

Isn't Justine #1 in the race? :confused:

vs1
Oct 18th, 2003, 01:06 AM
I support Serena in whatever decision she makes.
I think that she has assessed the situation correctly and hope she will come on very strong next year and capture the Golden Slam! Wouldn't that be sweet?! :hearts:

Venus+Serena#1fan
Oct 18th, 2003, 01:07 AM
so will Serena be #1 when she comes back in January??

vs1
Oct 18th, 2003, 01:08 AM
so will Serena be #1 when she comes back in January??

Will the real #1 please stand up?! :tape: :tape: :tape:

Rolling-Thunder
Oct 18th, 2003, 02:14 AM
I was wondering the same thing about the #1 ranking. I think that for the first six tournaments she gets her protected rank which would be #1 I believe. So either she would be the #1 seed or there could be co-ranked #1's. Any clarification?

FanDeJen
Oct 18th, 2003, 02:14 AM
will Serena use her protection ranking ???

Martian KC
Oct 18th, 2003, 02:15 AM
I honestly wanted to see a showdown at the YEC. Hope serena gets better for great battles ahead next year.

G_Slammed
Oct 18th, 2003, 02:21 AM
Hope serena gets better

No you don't.

Martian KC
Oct 18th, 2003, 02:25 AM
No you don't.

Dear Lord, that's why I restrain myself from ever posting in anything willi-related.

Venus Forever
Oct 18th, 2003, 02:27 AM
A protective ranking, just to let you know, has nothing to do with the actual seeding for a tournament. The protective ranking is only used to get into tournaments.

Now, if they gave a protective seeding to her, it would most likely be 1 point something. Whoever is #1 would still be the #1 seed, and Serena would follow as the #2 seed, but, that's if they give that to her, which I doubt they will. Her ranking is still #3 in the world.

ktwtennis
Oct 18th, 2003, 02:39 AM
Yeah, get well Serena!
It was a great season nonetheless. 2 grand slams is not shabby at all. I'm sure when she comes back she will be the superwomen.Uh, she only won one slam this yr...

CanadianBoy21
Oct 18th, 2003, 02:44 AM
Uh, she only won one slam this yr...

Uh, Australian Open + Wimbledon = 1????????????????????

No it's TWO Grand Slams for this year...

Venus Forever
Oct 18th, 2003, 03:01 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:tape: :o

Cariaoke
Oct 18th, 2003, 03:15 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: this is so classic. Australia wasn't THAT long ago, was it? :tape: :o

Very smart decision by babygirl but I'm going to miss her on the court! darn...

Jericho
Oct 18th, 2003, 03:20 AM

:lol: :lol:

So funny that im :o

:tape:

Rolling-Thunder
Oct 18th, 2003, 03:44 AM
I don't think that the protective ranking is just for entry into a tournament because when Davenport returned if you look at her seeding she was definitely given a much higher seeding rank than she had at the start of those tournaments. She could have gotten into any of those tournaments without using her protective ranking or without a wild card because her ranking gave her direct entry. But she was given a protective seed rank higher than her actually rank. I remember a discussion about Davenport being given a higher seeding than Capriati for some of those tournaments and the debate that ensued.

Hurley
Oct 18th, 2003, 04:19 AM
Protective ranking means NOTHING for seeding.

If the WTA or particular tournaments want to give superstars protected seeding, that's their prerogative.

A player like Halard-Decugis had a protected ranking of 15 when she came back to the Tour, but she was still unseeded in tournaments. When players like Graf and Davenport -- and no doubt Serena -- come back, seedings are often adjusted as common sense sees fit.

Venus Forever
Oct 18th, 2003, 04:19 AM
I don't think that the protective ranking is just for entry into a tournament because when Davenport returned if you look at her seeding she was definitely given a much higher seeding rank than she had at the start of those tournaments. She could have gotten into any of those tournaments without using her protective ranking or without a wild card because her ranking gave her direct entry. But she was given a protective seed rank higher than her actually rank. I remember a discussion about Davenport being given a higher seeding than Capriati for some of those tournaments and the debate that ensued.

That wasn't a protective ranking. It was just something special the WTA did for Davenport. I don't know the exact term they used, but, it was more like a protective seeding.

A protective ranking is used only to get one into tournaments, and nothing else.

Mrs. Peel
Oct 18th, 2003, 04:36 AM

Wwwwwwrrrrroooonnnggggg!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :tape: :lol:

xr6turbo
Oct 18th, 2003, 06:21 AM

:rolleyes:.................................:smash: ..........:retard:

katrientje
Oct 18th, 2003, 08:02 AM
Serena
:awww:
I was really hoping that she'd be back, but I am sure she knows what is best for her, wise girl listening to her body.
Tennis is a little boring without the competition of the sisters :sad:

Toontje
Oct 18th, 2003, 08:52 AM
P.S. katrientje:

Afterwards, you can tell what you want, I never read something in your post about 4 years ago!

"That's just what I thought 4 years ago, that thread was about which player EXCEEDED your expectations? so, this is a positive thing, no?
I just honostly answered the question..."

Cam'ron Giles
Oct 18th, 2003, 09:07 AM
P.S. katrientje:

Afterwards, you can tell what you want, I never read something in your post about 4 years ago!

"That's just what I thought 4 years ago, that thread was about which player EXCEEDED your expectations? so, this is a positive thing, no?

:confused:

:tape:

katrientje
Oct 18th, 2003, 09:10 AM
P.S. katrientje:

Oh come on Toontje.
the thread is about which player surprised you in a positive way.
So I honestly never thought Kim would be number 1 in the world. She proved me wrong, which is just fantastic. I didn't say in any way that she doesn't deserve her ranking, just that I didn't expect it, but ofcourse that is what you make out of it...
you only read my answer, you didn't look at the contex at all.
BTW: didn't you post in the wrong thread??

Chance
Oct 18th, 2003, 09:59 AM
alrighty getting back to Serena

I'm a bit disappointed, I know I want her back 100%, but I just thought there was a slight chance to see her play at the YEC.

Well at least I'll have tv coverage of Serena starting the new year at the Hopman cup :D

vaiva
Oct 18th, 2003, 10:26 AM
Ah, dang.

I'm not a fan of Serena but I'm already starting to miss her on the tour [and Venus as well]. Let the big battles begin in 2004 :)

*JR*
Oct 18th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Screw the ranking, remember '02. After MISSING the AO due to the Sydney injury, Serena went on a tear, was #1 that summer, and had a nearly 3,000 point lead @ year-end. (And re. Venus, if she "needs the time" physically and/or psychologically, by all means take it)! They're people not machines, and need to heal @ their individual paces in both senses. And even in their "year to forget" they STILL met in half the Slam finals. Serena, get well for '04. Venus, decide whether to wait till then on your own terms.

nubienne954
Oct 18th, 2003, 11:52 AM
Not a totally unexpected announcement. Good for her. I just feel sorry for whoever she's across the net from starting in January!!!

Experimentee
Oct 18th, 2003, 01:36 PM
I'm disappointed but I'd rather she'd come back when shes ready instead of rushing it.
The now format of the Championships wont be as exciting anymore with Serena, Davenport and possibly Venus out. :(

Mr. Man
Oct 18th, 2003, 04:03 PM
:sad: Heal soon Serena! You're deeply missed by me. :)