PDA

View Full Version : When do we label a player as a TOP PLAYER?

Gowza
Oct 18th, 2003, 12:19 AM
i know for the most part who is a top player is decided by the ranking system, but what aobut those comeback players or the young up and comers? do we label them as top players on their way to the top or only once they get there? and once a player is labelled a top player are they a top player for the rest of their career?

AleOrtu
Oct 18th, 2003, 07:56 AM
Sometimes is the press who decided.
Kournikova was and is called a top player, but if you just compare her results with...... I dont know.. other players.. well..

The TV and the press has a lot to do with this. If they show you Mardy Fish every week, just because he was born there or here.... youll end thinking "this guy is better than Srichaphan or Grosjean"

rhz
Oct 18th, 2003, 08:04 AM
Sometimes is the press who decided.
Kournikova was and is called a top player, but if you just compare her results with...... I dont know.. other players.. well..

The TV and the press has a lot to do with this. If they show you Mardy Fish every week, just because he was born there or here.... youll end thinking "this guy is better than Srichaphan or Grosjean"

Hey Anna was a top player, she was #8 in the world. and she was #1 in doubles. Anna did not get the top player title by the press, she did it at her own ability... but because she could not handle the press, she is not a top player anymore..

Don't hate Anna because she's beautiful...

doublespartner
Oct 19th, 2003, 08:37 AM
A top player is one who has a reasonable chance of winning any given match against any other player.

7~LV3
Oct 19th, 2003, 10:57 AM
i know for the most part who is a top player is decided by the ranking system, but what aobut those comeback players or the young up and comers? do we label them as top players on their way to the top or only once they get there? and once a player is labelled a top player are they a top player for the rest of their career?

IMO as well, they are decided by a ranking system, like... sugiyama is a top players in doubles when teamed up with kim... but shes not that much of a top player in singles... those comback players... if they beat the top players as of current with a little bit of consistency, the i guess they would be call a top player aswell, but if you onlly beat them once - thrice a year then, depends on who you beat... BOO BOO...

Those ppl who won more than "about" 3 grandslams, IMO would be labelled a top player for the rest of their careers.. Monica, Lindsay, even thought sometimes their year isnt what is expected of them...

Other examples is Mauresmo... shes a top players as of now... but if she continue to decline ( due to injuries ) then I guess her status would decline aswell...

CamilleVidann
Oct 19th, 2003, 11:55 AM
It's all relative. In one tournament where player A is seeded, he or she tends to be considered a top player and in another where he or she is nowhere near being seeded, then he/she tends not to be.