PDA

View Full Version : More proof the season is too long

JennyS
Oct 17th, 2003, 10:52 PM
Of the fall tier 1 and 2 tournaments, only Filderstadt and Zurich have boasted really strong lineups. Many of the fields have looked like tier 3's.

It's unfair to the promoters and fans to keep having tournaments without top players. I personally think the WTA Championships should come a couple weeks after the US Open, but that is never going to happen.

So here's a more realistic fall schedule (I've only listed tier 1's and 2's)
9/15-Shanghai
9/22-Filderstadt
9/29-Moscow
10/6-Zurich
10/13-BYE
10/20-WTA Championships

I think the lineups at these tournaments would be stronger and the extra two weeks would be nice for the players.

GoDominique
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:08 PM
Sorry, but it's not a 10-players-tour.

Bella
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:28 PM

Thanks for reminding people of that.

JennyS
Oct 18th, 2003, 12:01 AM
The only way to shorten the season is to cut tournaments or to schedule 3 tournaments a week every week.

I think the whole sport of tennis would benefit from a shorter year. There is only a very small minority of fans who even watch tennis all year long. Even golf events with Tiger Woods get lower ratings later in the year, once football starts.

JennyS
Oct 18th, 2003, 12:09 AM

Well, I agree with you there, but the point of Tier 1 and Tier 2 events is to feature a certain number of top 10 and top 20 players. If they are consistently putting together tier 1's and 2's that look like tier3's, it's bad for the WTA as a business.

But that what sports like tennis and golf get when they have such a long season. Instead of having a longer off-season, and increasing the quality of the lineups, they go for this 10-11 month format, where players must constantly schedule in there own breaks.

Basically, Shanghai and Linz have Tier 3 lineups now and Philadelphia could wind up having one as well. Then factor in the summer hardcourt tournaments and its been pretty disapointing.

Fyndh0rnElf
Oct 18th, 2003, 12:48 AM
Who cares if the current top10ers aren't playing. If they don't play, they won't be top10ers anymore and we'll have different, more willing top10ers

Nobody has to play during the fall if they don't want to. But shortening the fantastic Euro Indoor Season just isn't right, because there are still many players willing to play. It would be unfair

disposablehero
Oct 18th, 2003, 01:06 AM

Damn. Now I'll have to rework that "Minimum 10 Divisor" ranking system I was working on.

Kart
Oct 18th, 2003, 01:10 AM

You're right, it's a 1-player tour and she's injured.

The season should have ended after the French open.

Sam L
Oct 18th, 2003, 01:21 AM
It's not the tour's problem that these players keep getting injured. Why should the tour make itself bigger or smaller to accomodate the players, when the players SHOULD HAVE ENOUGH BRAINS to work out a schedule for themselves in which they wouldn't get tired out for the big events.

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 18th, 2003, 04:01 AM
Exactly, Sam. Exactly.

As for shortening the season, it doesn't seem to occur to some people that the tennis fans in the cities where tournaments are no longer played would have a genuine gripe.

TennisHack
Oct 18th, 2003, 04:34 AM
There is only a very small minority of fans who even watch tennis all year long.

And yet somehow, you find yourself in the middle of a [very large] group of such fans and still feel the need to complain about the tournament schedule.

vogus
Oct 18th, 2003, 07:02 AM
This is like the third thread you've started on this same topic. You're WRONG. The players are indeed more than capable of scheduling their own breaks during the year and pacing themselves to avoid inujury and burnout - they don't need people like you telling them what their schedule ought to be. If they mess it up, guess what? Other players will take their place. The season has already been shortened by three weeks from what it used to be and now it's really at a pretty good balance. The indoor season is lucrative (i.e. PROVIDES JOBS for a lot of players) and features popular tournaments. These tournaments are not going to go away just to please your "shorten the season" agenda.

JennyS
Oct 18th, 2003, 03:22 PM
I know that I am in the minority on this message board for wanting a shorter season. But the fans on message boards make up only a very small percent of all tennis fans. There are millions of people around the world who watch tennis and only a few thousand diehard fans who post on message boards.

I am only going by what so may players (Jennifer, Andre, Monica, Lindsay, Venus, Marat, Roger, Carlos, etc) have said. All of those players and plenty others have complained the year is too long.

If the season isn't too long, then why are Tennis Australia and the Grand Slam Committee trying to convince the tours to end the season earlier? And why is Juan Carlos Fererro threatening to sit out the Australian Open next year? And why are ratings and attendance for tennis dipping in most parts of the world?

JennyS
Oct 18th, 2003, 03:30 PM
This is like the third thread you've started on this same topic. You're WRONG. The players are indeed more than capable of scheduling their own breaks during the year and pacing themselves to avoid inujury and burnout - they don't need people like you telling them what their schedule ought to be. If they mess it up, guess what? Other players will take their place. The season has already been shortened by three weeks from what it used to be and now it's really at a pretty good balance. The indoor season is lucrative (i.e. PROVIDES JOBS for a lot of players) and features popular tournaments. These tournaments are not going to go away just to please your "shorten the season" agenda.

Yes, players can and do schedule there own breaks during the year. But the players aren't resting and recovering during those breaks even if the breaks are 4 weeks long. They are training for the next tournament. If a player takes three weeks off after the Australian Open, they are training for their next tournament.

This is what Monica said about this:

"I think the sport has way too many tournaments and we have no off-season. It's very hard to ask players to do other stuff when you don't have a week off. Literally, you're always training. I think the Tour will have to look at that and make it like every other sport, from basketball to baseball and football, that has an off-season. That way you can ask the top stars to do a lot more in the long-run."

sartrista7
Oct 18th, 2003, 04:02 PM
I am only going by what so may players (Jennifer, Andre, Monica, Lindsay, Venus, Marat, Roger, Carlos, etc) have said. All of those players and plenty others have complained the year is too long.

I'd take the players more seriously if they didn't all rush off to play in lucrative exhibitions around the world the minute the tour ended, in the middle of their supposedly precious off season.

JennyS
Oct 18th, 2003, 04:04 PM
Here are some quotes from current and former players who do think the season is too long:

Marat: "We have the shortest vacations in any sport. In every other sport they have ... time to recover, vacations with their families and time to prepare themselves for the next season."

Venus: "I also think the tour is too long. It's impossible to expect people to be able to play 11 months out of the year."

Justine: "We're missing some very important players and maybe we should be thinking about a shorter season"

Jennifer "It's a long season and, with the grind of the tour, there's not much time to take a break, let alone recover."

Andre Agassi (in 1996): "I mean, it's impossible to have any kind of preparation to get better with the way our schedule is. There's way too many tournaments. If you add Davis Cup, it becomes absolutely too much tennis."

Patrick Rafter "the amount of tennis without the breaks. You're going to get burned out mentally as much as physically. Something needs to be done. Guys need a break."

Carlos Moya "The best thing would be a season of maybe nine months, then you take a month off, then two months to get ready for the season again."

Roger Federer: ""I definitely think the season is still too long, especially if you make the Masters or the Davis Cup final. The season's really long."

Pete Sampras: "I have always said over the years that I think the year is too long and whether you're in a Davis Cup final or making the championships, you don't really have much time off and it is a grind. A lot of other sports, especially in the US, you have four or five months off to have a normal life and get back into it and tennis players it's a one man show up there, it's all up to you, you don't have team mates, so it can be a mental grind at times."

Andy Roddick: "Compared with every other sport, it's pretty minuscule"

John McEnroe: "I don't sense that there's a real schedule in tennis. People get the sense, and even the players, that it's a year-round sport. I think that perception and reality need to be changed."

More quotes from Jennifer:

"If it (the injuries) really does get bad, I don't think there's a reason why you can't take time off and take a break," she said.

"But it depends how far you want to go. If you want to be really close there in rankings, you have to keep playing."

"There's so many tournaments spread out throughout the year so there's really no time to just recuperate and you still have to practice and train in the off-time."

sartrista7
Oct 18th, 2003, 04:06 PM
It's almost as if whining about the job which pays them millions of pounds each year is built in to each top player's contract. If they don't like it... don't play. Serena proved that you can do that to an extent and still be No 1.

Ask any of the girls outside the top 50, the ones who depend on the tour for a living, not just to make extra $$$... I think you will not find those sorts of comments.

JennyS
Oct 18th, 2003, 04:08 PM
I'd take the players more seriously if they didn't all rush off to play in lucrative exhibitions around the world the minute the tour ended, in the middle of their supposedly precious off season.

I do agree with you on the exhibitions to a point. It doesn't look good when players play exhibitions. The only major difference though is that there is no pressure mentally at these exhibitions. But, yeah, they aren't helping there cause by playing exhibitions in the off-season.

moby
Oct 18th, 2003, 04:10 PM
i agree with sartrista