PDA

View Full Version : Tired Henin pulls out of Linz tournament

Infiniti2001
Oct 17th, 2003, 09:04 PM
By Will Gray

ZURICH, Oct 17 (Reuters) - Belgian world number two Justine Henin-Hardenne has pulled out of next week's Linz tournament in Austria, the WTA said on Friday.

Henin-Hardenne, who beat Russian Vera Zvonareva to reach the semi-finals of the Swisscom Challenge in Zurich and could seal the number one spot if she wins the tournament, said she was tired after a gruelling run of matches.

"Unfortunately I have no option but to rest after this week to ensure I will be 100 percent for the WTA championships in three week's time," said Henin-Hardenne, who has played in 17 tournaments this season.

"It is going to take everything I have just to survive this week in Zurich. Physically I am feeling very tired now. It is the end of the season and all players are in the same situation.

"Since the U.S. Open I have been feeling more and more physically and mentally tired and it has got to the point where I just have to take a break from playing.

"But I am very disappointed for the tournament and fans in Linz," the 21-year-old added.

The French and U.S. Open champion missed out on the chance to go top of the rankings when she lost to world number one Kim Clijsters in the final of the Filderstadt Grand Prix in Germany last week, but could overtake her compatriot if the two meet in the final in Zurich on Sunday.

But Henin-Hardenne said she did not want to burn out in an effort to reach the number one spot.

"I am not thinking about this," she said. "It didn't help me in Filderstadt so it is not in my mind to be number one after this tournament. Everyone is talking about it but it does not help me.

"It is a goal in my career, to be number one, but lots of things have happened in the last few months so I just have to take my time."

Martian KC
Oct 17th, 2003, 09:05 PM
It's a good decision. She needs to rest up for the rest of the season.

alfajeffster
Oct 17th, 2003, 09:09 PM
Good for her. A backhand that explosive needs to be rested every now and again...

Kart
Oct 17th, 2003, 09:11 PM
Smart move.

Joseosu19
Oct 17th, 2003, 09:15 PM
I bet shes just doing it so that Myskina will have a better chance to make the championships then Venus, because she's scared to play Venus. :p(I'm just kidding by the way, I think its a good decision for her to pull out and rest up)

Justinefan
Oct 17th, 2003, 09:18 PM
Good decision by Justine! She needs to be rested for those championships!! Good luck Justine!!

Sonja
Oct 17th, 2003, 09:32 PM
Very smart decision! No point in burning herself out or risking injury and missing the Championships.

nygirl
Oct 17th, 2003, 10:07 PM
"It is going to take everything I have just to survive this week in Zurich. Physically I am feeling very tired now.

THAT was very clear in her match against Pistolesi. She looked like she hadn't slept properly in weeks. Glad she didn't get pressured by the WTA to play in Linz, girl needs a break.

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 17th, 2003, 10:11 PM
Good for Juju.

Hey, Sonja, I love your new avatar.

Martian KC
Oct 18th, 2003, 12:11 AM
Good for Juju.

Hey, Sonja, I love your new avatar.

Sonja's avatar :drool:

tennisIlove09
Oct 18th, 2003, 12:16 AM
Very smart. I wonder how Clijsters doesn't get mentally or physically tired. It's amazing.

Martian KC
Oct 18th, 2003, 12:19 AM
What's the point for a tennis player to pose "nude" on a magazine? It's not like she needs the money.

Why do you care? :confused:

harloo
Oct 18th, 2003, 12:22 AM
Hmm interesting. Hope she meets up with Venus(that's if Venus shows up). :lol:

JennyS
Oct 18th, 2003, 12:24 AM
Justine has been very smart about her schedule this year. She hasn't played more than 2 tournaments in a row.

kim4eva
Oct 18th, 2003, 04:03 AM
Very smart. I wonder how Clijsters doesn't get mentally or physically tired. It's amazing.

me too...it's amazing :worship::worship::worship:

nubienne954
Oct 18th, 2003, 04:08 AM
Kart, is that Gabriella?

azza
Oct 18th, 2003, 04:11 AM
good move by juju

Allez-H
Oct 18th, 2003, 08:29 AM
I'm very happy with this decision from Juju. She did

Allez-H
Oct 18th, 2003, 08:33 AM
I'm very happy with Juju's decision she did the same thing this year before RG( after winning Berlin,she withdrew from Rome where she had a lot of points to defend to be 100% fit for RG) and look what happened then.I hope it's gonna have the same result.

fifiricci
Oct 18th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Oh dear, cant make it to the end of the season! Be afraid Kim, Serena and Venus, be very afraid.................... :devil:

Chance
Oct 18th, 2003, 11:18 AM
it's a good decision.... in hindsight Justine shouldn't have played Leipzig tournament- it would have given her 4 weeks off.

Good luck in the YEC !!!