PDA

View Full Version : Tribunal jails ethnic cleansers

Seles_Beckham
Oct 17th, 2003, 04:47 PM
The international war crimes tribunal has convicted three former Bosnian Serb officials of crimes against humanity.
The defendants were found to have carried out atrocities against Muslims and Croats in an area of northern Bosnia during the early 1990s.

Blagoje Simic, the 41-year-old former mayor of Bosanski Samac, was jailed for 17 years.

Miroslav Tadic, 66, and Simo Zaric, 54, received eight and six years for what came to be known as ethnic cleansing.

However, Zaric is likely to be freed after the ruling, having already spent more than four years in UN custody.

Prosecutors had asked for sentences of 25 years but judges accepted as mitigation the fact that the defendants gave themselves up, co-operated with the court and had clean prior records.

The men are the latest in a group of suspects convicted for taking part in a campaign in Bosanski Samac intended to create a Serb corridor in western Bosnia virtually free of Muslims and Croats.

Thirty-thousand non-Serbs lived in the town before the war but by 1995 less than 300 remained.

*JR*
Oct 17th, 2003, 08:20 PM
Meanwhile, Radavan Karadzic and Radko Mladj (sp?) continue to be protected by whoever, while Biljana Plavsic (who co-operated with the Hague tribunal) got a 10-year sentence. (Though I expect she'll be quietly released far sooner). BTW, are they gonna actually arrest Slobo's powerful wife (Markovic) or not? And where do things stand re. the assassination of the Serb PM?

Joana
Oct 17th, 2003, 08:59 PM
Meanwhile, Radavan Karadzic and Radko Mladj (sp?) continue to be protected by whoever, while Biljana Plavsic (who co-operated with the Hague tribunal) got a 10-year sentence. (Though I expect she'll be quietly released far sooner). BTW, are they gonna actually arrest Slobo's powerful wife (Markovic) or not? And where do things stand re. the assassination of the Serb PM?

Our government officially doesn't know where Karadžić and Mladić are, but it's hard to believe and they know it. They will have to do something soon. I believe Mirjana Marković has been charge, but for some ridicoulous things. As for know, I doubt she'll be arrested.
The investigation regarding prime minister's death is over, they found the assasin. The official statment is that the murder had been ordered by the group of powerful criminals, but the roots of all that are much, much deeper. I don't think we'll ever know what really happened.

*JR*
Oct 17th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Our government officially doesn't know where Karadžić and Mladić are, but it's hard to believe and they know it. They will have to do something soon. I believe Mirjana Marković has been charge, but for some ridicoulous things. As for know, I doubt she'll be arrested.
The investigation regarding prime minister's death is over, they found the assasin. The official statment is that the murder had been ordered by the group of powerful criminals, but the roots of all that are much, much deeper. I don't think we'll ever know what really happened. Agreed re. the killing of (Djinjic?). I'm still baffled that Plavsic got 10 years (offically ;)) when she had so little power. @ least Arkan got the "instant justice" he dished out, though.