PDA

View Full Version : If Lena L. broke up with Cara B.....

tenn_ace
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:09 PM
...and will not play with Black any more, who would you like to be her partner (realistic/available) to form a successful partneship?

btw, I'm glad they did (for whatever reason)... Now I can give a full support to Lena. :bounce:

ys
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:23 PM
...and will not play with Black any more, who would you like to be her partner (realistic/available) to form a successful partneship?

btw, I'm glad they did (for whatever reason)... Now I can give a full support to Lena. :bounce:

I dunno. Elena D.-Lina K.-Nastya-Vera seemed to be a closed club of doubles players. I do not think they will be playing doubles with anyone but each other.

Sveta is committed. For at least one more year. Unless Martina bails out of it, of course.

From Russian players we have Nadya and Elena B. as clearly available for permanent partnership. I am not sure it would work out, though Nadya seems to be a likelier possibility.

Dinara can't yet play a comparable schedule. Masha Sharapova can, but
she is not much of a doubles player. And she would likely to be paired with Ashley to replace Anna.

My preference? Nadya.

BTW, why would you dislike Cara? She is such a sweety.

goldenlox
Oct 16th, 2003, 10:06 PM
Right now Lena and Cara are the #5 doubles team. Since Lindsay is having surgery, Lena and Cara are next in line for L.A.
So I hope they finish this year together.
As for the future, Lena should team up with someone she's friends with.
At this point of Lena's career, it should be all about what feels right for Lena.

ally baker
Oct 16th, 2003, 10:08 PM
I dunno. Elena D.-Lina K.-Nastya-Vera seemed to be a closed club of doubles players. I do not think they will be playing doubles with anyone but each other.

Sveta is committed. For at least one more year. Unless Martina bails out of it, of course.

From Russian players we have Nadya and Elena B. as clearly available for permanent partnership. I am not sure it would work out, though Nadya seems to be a likelier possibility.

Dinara can't yet play a comparable schedule. Masha Sharapova can, but
she is not much of a doubles player. And she would likely to be paired with Ashley to replace Anna.

My preference? Nadya.

BTW, why would you dislike Cara? She is such a sweety.
Bovina won't be up for a permanent partnership... simply because she won't play a full doubles schedule.

vaiva
Oct 16th, 2003, 10:44 PM
I doubt that Elena B. will partner with Nadia. Emilio Sanchez said that Sveta and Martina are to break up because Martina wants to play the Olympics [with L. Raymond] next year and that Sveta was most likely to play with Nadia.

ys
Oct 16th, 2003, 10:47 PM
I doubt that Elena B. will partner with Nadia. Emilio Sanchez said that Sveta and Martina are to break up because Martina wants to play the Olympics [with L. Raymond] next year and that Sveta was most likely to play with Nadia.

Why would Raymond prefer to play with Navratilova rather than with Davenport?

vaiva
Oct 16th, 2003, 10:51 PM
Ask Lisa, not me

ys
Oct 16th, 2003, 10:53 PM
Ask Lisa, not me

I suspect that when it will be Olympics time and Raymond will have to chose, she will choose Davenport easily. Her team wtih Navratilova is hopeless. Their styles do not complement each other at all. These days you can't build a successful doubles team with two finesse players. You need at least one hard ( even moderately ) hitting player.

vaiva
Oct 16th, 2003, 10:57 PM
Yes, Sanchez said basically the same: that he doubts the success of Lisa/Martina partnership. But I guess it can be hard for Lisa to turn that offer down, don't you think? Lindsay is a sweet ball striker but I often wonder these days does she really want it? At least as bad as old good Martina does?

ys
Oct 16th, 2003, 11:04 PM
Yes, Sanchez said basically the same: that he doubts the success of Lisa/Martina partnership. But I guess it can be hard for Lisa to turn that offer down, don't you think? Lindsay is a sweet ball striker but I often wonder these days does she really want it? At least as bad as old good Martina does?

I think if Lindsay plays Olympics, BJK will really have to choose. Because one of US doubles teams is obvious and untouchable. Raymond is US doubles #1. I guess, there are few issues here.. If they chose by rankings, Navratilova would be chosen over Davenport.. But that would affect Williams/Williams selection, because Davenport ( and some other players, like Rubin or Shaugnessy ) would be ranked in doubles higher than Williamses. And if you go selecting by potential rather than rankings, then it is difficult to chose Navratilova over Davenpott, if Lindsay would be willing to play.

vaiva
Oct 16th, 2003, 11:13 PM
Actually, I think speculating about the possible selection for Olympics is very premature now

tenn_ace
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:33 AM
Lindsay, with all her injuries and focus on singles, is not a reliable partner, whereas Martina has the same goal as Lisa. Lisa is playing it safe and that's it.

As for your question about Cara, ys, I personally and my friend have bad experiences with her... She is just little b*tch when it comes communicating with people. Also, from what I've seen, I really do think that there are other players available, who Lena could be more successfull with. The only good thing about Black is that her singles career is so-so and she devotes herself to doubles.

tenn_ace
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:37 AM
I heard the same about Sveta... I'm really excited since I do think she and Nadia will be a great doubles team.

For Lena, I thought, Meg Shaughnessy would be a good partner if she committs herself.

Other candidtaes - Vera D... I know her net skills are questionnable, but she is IMO talented. So Lena could play as many tournaments as possible next year with Vera helping her to learn and then pick it up in 2005.

Zummi
Oct 19th, 2003, 07:29 PM
Just wanted to add, the USA will likely be allowed 2 doubles teams for the Olympics next year. So there would be a chance for both Martina/Lisa "and" Williamsx2 to play.

tenn_ace
Oct 21st, 2003, 04:08 PM
I think it's pretty much clear that Lena L. and Cara broke up... (they play different tournaments in the same week, which didn't happen before too often)... now a question is: are they going to play LA or not...

tenn_ace
Oct 27th, 2003, 01:09 AM
they are not playing together again...

ys
Oct 27th, 2003, 01:52 AM
I think they will. AFter all, it is just one match and quite a lot of money..

goldenlox
Feb 5th, 2004, 06:29 PM
In the Pan Pacific, Elena is playing doubles with Maleeva. And Black is playing with Stubbs.
So it looks like that pairing is over.
In 2004, Elena/Sveta reached the AO finals. And Lena won mixed. It makes choosing the Olympic team more interesting.

tenn_ace
Feb 5th, 2004, 07:06 PM
gl, it is mostly because Black is committed to play with Stubbs. From what I've heard Lena L. and Black are still friends... Lena can't pick friends:smash:

goldenlox
Feb 5th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Elena/Maleeva play Friday. Lena's only doubles loss in 2004 is the AO final. Lena's #12 in money earned so far in 2004.
She knows what she's doing.

roscoe111
Feb 8th, 2004, 04:11 AM
alina jidkova is better looking than cara black