PDA

View Full Version : Will Patty successfully defend her title?

GoGoMaggie
Oct 16th, 2003, 08:36 PM
She beat Amelie in a very impressive fashion.
I think she has a good shot at defending it.
But can she beat Kim and Justine back to back?

alexusjonesfan
Oct 16th, 2003, 08:37 PM
She better! :mad:

Wtaworld Race to the chase points are on the line here! :fiery:

Daniel
Oct 16th, 2003, 08:42 PM
I think she can't beat Kim and Juju back to back.

fleemke³
Oct 16th, 2003, 08:44 PM
only Kim is enough for me :angel: ;)

She's is always a dangerous player ;)

Philip
Oct 16th, 2003, 08:50 PM
hmm its a lot to ask of.

but last year to defeat bovina, pierce, hantuchova, martinez and davenport was quite a lot to ask for.

possible.

go patty go :D

treufreund
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:10 PM
if she plays like today she will definitely have her chances

Bezz
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:15 PM
I dont think so, Kim is near unbeatable at the minute, she will take patty out, setting up another belgian final where she will beat Justine again :-). Although i am expecting an upset of justine by one of the Russians.

DEETHELICK
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:21 PM
I had a feeling Patty would defeat Momo today. I also have a feeling that Jelena will defeat Patty tomorrow so....

A Dokic-Zvonareva final would be great! :)

KV
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:58 PM
Of course, both Kim and Patty have to win her QF first. Provided both win their QF. Can see Patty going to 3 sets against Kim, but not winning.

esquímaux
Oct 16th, 2003, 10:05 PM
NappyPatty just might have some tricks in her bag :p

ally baker
Oct 16th, 2003, 10:36 PM
No.

Amelie hasn't been playing that well for a while...

She'll probably get to SF, but I don't see how she can beat Kim.

Leo_DFP
Oct 16th, 2003, 10:40 PM
hmm its a lot to ask of.

but last year to defeat bovina, pierce, hantuchova, martinez and davenport was quite a lot to ask for.

possible.

go patty go :D

But none of those players were playing as well last year as Kim and Justine are now.

Joana
Oct 16th, 2003, 10:43 PM
No, getting to the final is just enough. ;)

switz
Oct 16th, 2003, 11:59 PM
patty can do anything. nobody thought she could beat mauresmo, pierce, serena, capriati (no.1) back to back either at charleston. IMO dokic is more dangerous because patty might not turn up mentally.

you can say mauresmo hasn't been playing well, but she still made the final of a tier I and also beat patty 6-2, 7-6 last week, so obviously patty did something. the problem for most of the doubters is that they don't know patty well enough. when playing well she can beat anyone, anytime.

and i don't care what you all say because right now nothing can piss me off because patty beat mauresmo 6-2, 6-2 and is playing like she did last year (finally). you guys just don't understand how hard it is to be a real supporter of patty. these moments are so rare for us, when they should be happening every week.

ally baker
Oct 17th, 2003, 12:21 AM
I know Patty can do anything... she is the quintessential schizophrenic player.

It's just that no matter how many incredible weeks she's have... it's hard seeing her beat the #1 player in the world. :)

switz
Oct 17th, 2003, 12:24 AM

It's just that no matter how many incredible weeks she's have... it's hard seeing her beat the #1 player in the world. :)

don't get me wrong, i understand why people doubt she can do it. it's just that usually when it's the most unlikely to happen that patty comes up with the results.

spooky
Oct 17th, 2003, 12:28 AM
If Patty played like she did today she will beat Kim and Justine. With the way Justine is playing these days I would not be surprise if she goes out in the next round.

bandabou
Oct 17th, 2003, 12:34 AM
Patty is a streaky player who can give you plenty of different looks...I think if she can put her spirit to it, she could trouble Kim with her tricky shots...thing is that Kim isn´t agressive herself either, so that Patty can frustrate her...should be a good match.

And the poster who said that Justine ain´t looking all too well is right..

ally baker
Oct 17th, 2003, 12:36 AM
Justine can lose to Bovina in the SF then.

Then, we can have a Bovina/Patty rematch of 1st round Moscow.

propi
Oct 17th, 2003, 12:37 AM
She has the tennis and the talent, that she'll is another story....

XaDavK_Kapri
Oct 17th, 2003, 12:41 AM
I actually think that Dokic will take Patty out... :tape: but I'm not known for my predictions, so... :o

Kart
Oct 17th, 2003, 12:47 AM
I think Patty can beat pretty much anybody.

I don't, however, think she will beat Kim.

switz
Oct 17th, 2003, 12:53 AM
scoreline prediction for the rest of tournament:

QF Patty def Dokic 6-0, 6-0
SF Patty def Clijsters 6-0, 6-0
F Patty def Henin 6-0, 6-0.

and i am known for my predictions

Rub
Oct 17th, 2003, 01:11 AM
:lol:

switz
Oct 17th, 2003, 01:25 AM
if patty does win this tournament beating clijsters and henin she will have accumulated 531 points from this tournament. that is the highest points total i personally have ever seen a winner of tournament other than a grand slam or the championships get. can anyone else think of higher total?

XaDavK_Kapri
Oct 17th, 2003, 01:25 AM
scoreline prediction for the rest of tournament:

QF Patty def Dokic 6-0, 6-0
SF Patty def Clijsters 6-0, 6-0
F Patty def Henin 6-0, 6-0.

and i am known for my predictions
:p :lol:

Rothes
Oct 17th, 2003, 01:43 AM
If Patty plays the way she did today, I see another little lovley scoreline :)

(ohhh leave in 5 hours for Zurich ;) :D )

Berlin_Calling
Oct 17th, 2003, 03:27 AM
If Patty plays to her potential, she can beat anyone in the world. So if she plays Charleston 2002 tennis, she can beat play both Kim and Justine but the chances of that and the chance of Patty being on...5 percent?

casanovalover
Oct 17th, 2003, 03:47 AM
If Patty plays to her potential, she can beat anyone in the world. So if she plays Charleston 2002 tennis, she can beat play both Kim and Justine but the chances of that and the chance of Patty being on...5 percent?

silly billy. you left the 9 out in front of the 5.

patty will win this tournament with out dropping a set unless poalo suarez gets a lucky loser spot if someone withdraw.

fammmmedspin
Oct 17th, 2003, 03:52 AM
Patty not only outplayed Amelie - she actually made her look silly for entire games - she really got in her head and frazzled it.
If she plays like today Jelena is a perfect candidate for the same treatment - her head is fragile and her game likes predictability.
Justine is still looking a bit tired mentally - which is and isn't surprising given how she won her GS by keeping on going. Tank may be dry.
Patty's problem is kim who is playing like a Graf with a backhand, a faster serve and the splits too. That could be an awsome match if Kim and Patty get to it.

casanovalover
Oct 17th, 2003, 03:55 AM
patty beat graf in straight sets on every occassion they played, therefore patty will beat kim too.

(i probably should mention that patty only played graf once, but ultimately it still shows that patty is the greatest player of all time, no?)

alexusjonesfan
Oct 17th, 2003, 03:59 AM
patty beat graf in straight sets on every occassion they played, therefore patty will beat kim too.

(i probably should mention that patty only played graf once, but ultimately it still shows that patty is the greatest player of all time, no?)

damn, the system won't let me rep you again, and again and again and again and again and again :p

vogus
Oct 17th, 2003, 06:40 AM
Defending the title is going to be a very tall order, although today was big step in the right direction. First things first, Patty has got to beat Dokic tomorrow, which IMO she has a very good chance to do. The SF is going to depend a lot on how intense Kim comes out (assuming Kim beats Pisnik in her QF). Patty has lost 3 times to Kim this year in straight sets, but the most recent set they played in Leipzig was a tight 6-3 in which Patty had break points at 3-3. Patty is kind of due to give Kim a tough match. If Kim comes out even a little bit flat, i can see Patty destroying her the same way she did to Mauresmo today. If Kim comes out like a bulldozer, then Patty will have to play at least two sets of her best tennis to win.

For the final, i imagine it will not be Justine but instead one of the three Russians, any of whom are going to be out for blood to win their first Tier I title, and will be an equally tough of an opponent as Kim. So any prospective final would be a big fight for Patty but anyway that is still a long ways off.

F-R-E-A-K
Oct 17th, 2003, 06:48 AM
I dont think she will!! :(

~|Naomi|~
Oct 17th, 2003, 08:06 AM
Well everything is possible if she is in the draw she has a chance
However she won't have to beat Henin as Vera wil be in the final ;)

Kim-Patty just played in Leipzig, Kim played bad but won 6-1 6-3. Kim is playing a lot better now than in Leipzig where she didn't play well.

Their H2H is 3-1 for Kim, Kim won the last 3times all this year, schnyder won in rosmalen in 2000, 7-5 in the 3rd set

Schnyder it seems played very well, but from reading the match stats and other articles it seems mauresmo played attrocious as well.
I thought she'd beat Mauresmo, think she will beat Dokic probably in 3sets.

If Kim-Patty play Kim won't underestimate her she will know she is defending champ and infront of her home crowd, Kim will want to shut the crowd out early by starting well.

casanovalover
Oct 17th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Well everything is possible if she is in the draw she has a chance
However she won't have to beat Henin as Vera wil be in the final ;)

Kim-Patty just played in Leipzig, Kim played bad but won 6-1 6-3. Kim is playing a lot better now than in Leipzig where she didn't play well.

Their H2H is 3-1 for Kim, Kim won the last 3times all this year, schnyder won in rosmalen in 2000, 7-5 in the 3rd set

Schnyder it seems played very well, but from reading the match stats and other articles it seems mauresmo played attrocious as well.
I thought she'd beat Mauresmo, think she will beat Dokic probably in 3sets.

If Kim-Patty play Kim won't underestimate her she will know she is defending champ and infront of her home crowd, Kim will want to shut the crowd out early by starting well.

1) kim did not play badly in that match, i saw it. patty handed her the first set with unforced error after error. the second was very close. patty lifted and had many opportunties, but kim was playing too consistantly for patty.

2) this isn't some ordinary match. this is playing the defending champion with a one hell of noisy crowd behind her. that creates pressure. i think kim is tougher than some of recent performances have shown in big matches, but she has to start proving it again.

3) an in form patty really isn't somebody who can just be shut down, just ask the capriati when she was number one in charleston, serena, lindsay, steffi, martina, and of course amelie. kim is really going to have to be playing unbelievably well in order to shut down an in form patty.

obviously kim is going in as favourite if the match eventuates, she's number 1. but i don't think a lot people understand patty very well, because if you did you would know that head to heads have nothing to do with her chances in matches because she can play awfully for an entire year, but intermitantly produce some of the finest tennis you will ever see, and then start playing poorly again. the fact that so many people support her after the pain she has inflicted on us as supporters is testimant to that fact IMO.

of course if patty doesn't show up kim will win 6-2, 6-2 or something.

full_moon
Oct 17th, 2003, 10:40 AM
A fter all, in 2002, she defeated 3 top 5 players, Capriati, Davenport and world #1 Serena Williams at Charleston!
She's got the goods, but her personal problems have badly innjured her career!

kim4eva
Oct 17th, 2003, 10:57 AM
Kim will beat Patty and possibly set up an all belgian final and will beat Justine again... ;)

mandy7
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:58 AM
I think Patty is ok, but she's not gonna beat Kim, no way
great match against Momo though

*JR*
Oct 17th, 2003, 01:58 PM

RU implying a Personality Problem? :eek:

Gowza
Oct 17th, 2003, 02:02 PM
i don't think she will. clijsters and henin are playing to well. i know she has made a string of upsets before but i don't think it will happen here.

Greenout
Oct 17th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Expect the un-expected. This is Patty we're
speaking about. Whatever you think will happen
won't. :)

Greenout
Oct 17th, 2003, 02:28 PM
casanovalover is correct. The SWISS crowd are
absolutely in love with Patty. If you recall last
year's final- it was like a football match.

*JR*
Oct 17th, 2003, 04:09 PM
Expect the un-expected. This is Patty we're speaking about. Whatever you think will happen won't. :)
Must you Rain on some Person's Parade with Provocative Posts? :p

DEETHELICK
Oct 17th, 2003, 08:19 PM
I said before that I thought Dokic would defeat her and she did. It was a gut feeling.

I also have a weird feeling that Dokic actually has a chance to defeat Kim. She may just do it...

XaDavK_Kapri
Oct 17th, 2003, 09:57 PM
I actually think that Dokic will take Patty out... :tape: but I'm not known for my predictions, so... :o
Didn't I tell y'all ?!? ;) No, really, I really felt Jelena would win, but I never thought she would crush Patty. Now Kim must be careful!

XMan
Oct 17th, 2003, 10:36 PM
Didn't I tell y'all ?!? ;) No, really, I really felt Jelena would win, but I never thought she would crush Patty. Now Kim must be careful!

Kim is always careful. Don't worry.