PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with Amelie Mauresmo?

jenglisbe
Oct 16th, 2003, 07:28 PM
I like Amelie, but not so much that I pay really close attention to her matches or what is said about her. Earlier this year she seemed to be finding her game when she dispatched Serena and then had a chance to beat Kim.

Since then, though, she's only lived up to her seeding, if that (she lost easily to Schnyder today). She's barely won games in the French semifinal, and she has barely won games in her last few matches with Kim. What happened? I know she had an injury during summer, but she's had these lapses throughout her career.

alexusjonesfan
Oct 16th, 2003, 07:31 PM
I dunno but with Amelie, she always seems to be recovering from some injury.

bandabou
She just doesn´t go for her shots. She has to play more powerful tennis...and her backhand( same with Justine) can get easily jammed with high looping balls deep in the backhand...as Patty did today.

GoDominique
She's not tough mentally. She crumbles under pressure, especially if the crowd is involved, and it doesn't matter whether they root for or against her.

GoDominique
Oct 16th, 2003, 07:33 PM
And there are some troubles with her game too. Her forehand often breaks down totally, so that she puts every shot into the net. Her serve isn't working too well either.

bandabou
Oct 16th, 2003, 07:35 PM
Yeah her serve is weaker than weak...I think of the top 10 only the russians are weaker!

alexusjonesfan
Oct 16th, 2003, 07:36 PM
I don't think she's the player she was at the end of last year and that's hurt her because other players have improved while she's had intermittent absences almost continually. :(

CapFan#1
Oct 16th, 2003, 07:38 PM
Her service motion is horrible. She almost throws herself into the ball-- it is really ugly to watch, and it will probably keep her from ever cracking the top 5

alexusjonesfan
Oct 16th, 2003, 07:39 PM
Her service motion is horrible. She almost throws herself into the ball-- it is really ugly to watch, and it will probably keep her from ever cracking the top 5

she already has :p

tennisIlove09
Oct 16th, 2003, 07:45 PM
Two words: Head case

CapFan#1
Oct 16th, 2003, 07:45 PM
she already has :p

I didn't know that.... I dont really follow her that closely. Was that last year during her hot streak???? I do think her serve will keep her from getting back there if she doesn't improve it.

Linnie
Oct 16th, 2003, 07:48 PM
She said that she had to be careful on her service motion because of her back. Now that her back problems are gone, she'll work on her serve in the off-season. That doesn't do her any good right now, but hopefully she'll at least make a few small adjustments for L.A. and Fed Cup.

I've been a fan since 1999, and I'm still trying to figure her out ;)

Jacquelien1976
Oct 16th, 2003, 07:50 PM
she will get back....she needs time verybody has a weak period ..... :confused:

MLF
Oct 16th, 2003, 07:53 PM
She's had a very solid season, if not spectacular. The only non top 10 players to have beaten her this year are Barbara Rittner & Patty Schnyder. She seems to have got more consistent results through toning down her groundstrokes but now lacks the firepower she once had to really threaten the big names. I'm sure she'll get it back.

Sonja
Oct 16th, 2003, 08:01 PM
As linnie said, she's changed her service motion because of her back. She needs to use less top spin and take shorter swings sometimes. Patty's lefty serve gives her trouble, and today Momo was panicking when she couldn't get her first serve in. Patty allowed her no rhythm and Amélie kept hitting to her forehand (not a smart move, as Patty can just rip them down the line).

Amélie's always been inconsistent and that's a bitter pill for the Momosapiens to swallow sometimes. With her injuries this year, she hasn't achieved last year's form, so right now I'm just happy to see that she's playing.

With more practice, and making that serve a weapon instead of a liability, she'll bounce back and regain form. She'll have few points to defend next year so I expect success (and you've better prove me right Momo)!

DEETHELICK
Oct 16th, 2003, 08:26 PM
Amelie is very talented, I saw some shots of her match against Venus at USO SF 02.

She has got a lot of sting on her groundies and unless you take her groundies early, you're in trouble.

This year, I've found Amelie to have lack of rhythmn. But she can really start the new year (and finish this year) with a bang as she her zero points to defend.

Linnie
Oct 16th, 2003, 08:42 PM
I think the lack of rhythm is just lack of match play. Playing only 14 tourneys this year certainly hasn't helped. She plans to add a few more tourneys to her schedule next year.

GANGSTABACKHAND!
Oct 16th, 2003, 08:50 PM
Amelie does not have any "killer" shot's!!! She has a good all-around game, but she does not have any shots that can do damage. She'll go through patches in matches where she loses every part of her game, against top players this will not be enough! I believe that she would have more success if she played a serve-volley style, she is athlethic enough, and her strokes are conductive to this style, it would be more natural for her! I watched her beat Kim last year at the open, she won because she played great and wasn't afraid to come to net, same as when she beat Capriati that year.

bandabou
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:05 PM
Amelie does not have any "killer" shot's!!! She has a good all-around game, but she does not have any shots that can do damage. She'll go through patches in matches where she loses every part of her game, against top players this will not be enough! I believe that she would have more success if she played a serve-volley style, she is athlethic enough, and her strokes are conductive to this style, it would be more natural for her! I watched her beat Kim last year at the open, she won because she played great and wasn't afraid to come to net, same as when she beat Capriati that year.

Exactly.....her shots are all good, but not KILLER. She´s actually pretty good at the net. Should do that more often.

jlamire
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Exactly.....her shots are all good, but not KILLER. She´s actually pretty good at the net. Should do that more often.
Don't agree here. Her shots are killer when she is on. I don't want to talk past but that's self evident.
The problem is that she did not have time to work on her game. She was injured a long time and she'd better do all the things step by step.
As a consequence she is not consistent at all. She does not have anything sure in her game at the beginning of a match...then her confidence goes away and you see what happens sometimes:2-6 2-6

Bella
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:12 PM
She waits too long to decide what to do, not trusting her instincts. Perfectly planned and well-executed is great, and it's fine to think it through; but if you are as undecisive as she is, an alternate plan would be to hit early and hit well. Better some random placements than hitting late and hitting feebly. I actually don't get to see her play much, but that's the impression I have gotten.

JennyS
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:16 PM
Well, it's late in the season and maybe Amelie is just counting down the days until LA. She did make the finals of Moscow though.

bandabou
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:21 PM
Well, it's late in the season and maybe Amelie is just counting down the days until LA. She did make the finals of Moscow though.

Yeah....she´s pretty safe for L.A....so why go all out and risk injuries now?! It´s at L.A. that one should shine late in the season indeed.

esquímaux
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:23 PM

How does her doubles track record look? Anything impressive?

bandabou
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:29 PM
How does her doubles track record look? Anything impressive?

I don´t know about her doubles-record....but she is quite athletic and the times I saw at the net she was plenty good..

Volcana
Oct 17th, 2003, 01:06 AM
I know she had an injury during summer, but she's had these lapses throughout her career.

And she's suffered injuries that took her off the tour every year since making the OZ final. Amelie used to be a power baseliner, and she was built like brick house. She had these big, powerful shoulders and the racket made this wonderful sound when she made contact with the ball. Other players grunted. Amelie's racquet grunted.

But she injured her back, I'm convinced from excessive power lifting, and it hurt her to play her old style. So she completely re-built her game into the (normally) far craftier game she has now. While suffering repeated injury, and becoming half of the pair responsible for the most awful ITF decision in recent memory, the slams going to 32 seeds for the women. Amelie's an all court player now, and uses a lot more spin and placement. This isn't just the normal process of maturation. She played like Jelena Dokic in 2000. Now I'd say her game in closer to Hingis. (Not CLOSE, mind you, but clos-ER than her game is to Jelena's.)

But it's not how she came up playing, it's not a style that's been ingrained since childhood, it's not the style that led to her domineering clay court season in 2001. (Ignoring it's catastrophic anti-climatic finish.) Sometime's her game is going to break down. It's not ALL headcasehood.

Kart
Oct 17th, 2003, 01:20 AM
What always strikes me about Amelie whenever I watch her is she plays these beautifully crafted points to set up a final winning shot or volley and then misses it.

I think she would win a lot more points if she could just focus that little bit longer.

Of course, she has off days but then who doesn't.

I still truly believe though that Amelie could rule on the clay once again if her body holds up.

Gowza
Oct 17th, 2003, 02:19 AM
Amelie is also recovering from an injury. she also starts her matches off slow most of the time so she gives away the first sets and the 1st part of the 2nd set. a couple of games into the second set she usually starts picking it up but i guess patty was just to strong.

Berlin_Calling
Oct 17th, 2003, 02:22 AM
Amelie seemed to be doing very well in the claycourt season but since then, her game has downward. Didnt she miss Wimbledon? These days, you can expect to beat the players ranked lower than her (cept for Patty today) but lose to the players ranked above her, and pretty easily also. Kinda like Monica Seles a couple years ago.

fammmmedspin
Oct 17th, 2003, 03:02 AM
Patty has a lot of bigger scalps than Amelie. losing to an "on" Patty is no disgace as Steffi, Martina, Lindsay, Jennifer, Serena or Kim might agree....

casanovalover
Oct 17th, 2003, 03:17 AM
Patty has a lot of bigger scalps than Amelie. losing to an "on" Patty is no disgace as Steffi, Martina, Lindsay, Jennifer, Serena or Kim might agree....

sandrine testud, jelena dokic, virginia ruano-pascual, ai sugiyama, marta marrero, iva majoli, barbara schett, stephanie cohen-aloro, francesca schiavone, danilela hantuchova, maggie maleeva, anke huber, conchita martinez, sabine appelmans, nicole arendt, meike babel, yayuk basuki, bea bielik, kristie boogert, elena bovina, ellison bradshaw, kristina brandi, sandra cacic, els callens, lenka, cenkova, denisa chladkova, elke clijsters, jill craybas, eleni daniilidou, erika de lone, mariaan de swardt, alexia dechaume balleret, elena dementieva, silvia farina-elia, mary-jo fernandez, etc etc

mexicotrip
Oct 17th, 2003, 03:31 AM
I think patty has scalps...but Amelie has bigger ones

Ballbuster
Oct 17th, 2003, 03:32 AM
She's not tough mentally. She crumbles under pressure, especially if the crowd is involved, and it doesn't matter whether they root for or against her.

Yeah, she just does not show up for the big dance, or she pulls out which is equally distressing.

casanovalover
Oct 17th, 2003, 03:47 AM
I think patty has scalps...but Amelie has bigger ones

relevance?? nobody said patty is bette than amelie, nobody could argue that based on their records. it just said that patty is not your typical non top 10 player

DEETHELICK
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:47 AM
I think Amelie still hits with power. Its a heavy ball with a lot of spin. Thing is, against the Top 10, those balls due to the spin can land short and makes it easier to attack, especially for players who take the ball early OR are tall enough to take it on. Jen struggles against Amelie as she cannot handle Amelie's BH.

Amelie's BH is her killer shot IMO, when she rips it crosscourt with topspin, it is very difficult for opponents to handle and they are literally dragged out of the court.

Amelie's just been injured a lot unfortunately, she needs to harness that natural power she has and work on deeper groundies IMO so she can start bossing the point.

Her serve is fine, its just since Toronto against Dementieva that she seems to be too 'careful' with how much power she puts into her serve.

And she has to trust her volleys, as Kart said she really sets up the point well, its about finishing it off.

One other thing I noticed about Amelie is consistency, while she does well in her tournaments, she needs to play more consistent tennis, which will come with a heavier schedule and more match play.

propi
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:52 AM
Amèlie is full of talent but injuries and her head keep her away of her potential :bigcry:

ToeTag
Oct 17th, 2003, 04:30 PM
As linnie said, she's changed her service motion because of her back. She needs to use less top spin and take shorter swings sometimes. Patty's lefty serve gives her trouble, and today Momo was panicking when she couldn't get her first serve in. Patty allowed her no rhythm and Amélie kept hitting to her forehand (not a smart move, as Patty can just rip them down the line).

Amélie's always been inconsistent and that's a bitter pill for the Momosapiens to swallow sometimes. With her injuries this year, she hasn't achieved last year's form, so right now I'm just happy to see that she's playing.

With more practice, and making that serve a weapon instead of a liability, she'll bounce back and regain form. She'll have few points to defend next year so I expect success (and you've better prove me right Momo)!
:rolleyes: lol.Well I'm used to players like Amelie,cuz when Gaby was playing she was the exact same way.It can be very much like a rollercoaster following players like Sabatini and Mauresmo.Ya just want to run out there and shake them sometimes.

Jen'sFan
Oct 17th, 2003, 04:36 PM
:rolleyes: lol.Well I'm used to players like Amelie,cuz when Gaby was playing she was the exact same way.It can be very much like a rollercoaster following players like Sabatini and Mauresmo.Ya just want to run out there and shake them sometimes.
Yes, someone needs to sort her out. I hate players wasting talent. Realistically she should have won 2 slams by now....I know she's had injuries but still...

Sonja
Oct 17th, 2003, 04:43 PM
I should be used to it too, as Gaby was my fav before Amélie (had a bit of a lapse in between)! I never seem to just remember that "this is Amélie" but ride that coaster with the highs and lows and all that's between. I think it's a curse. :p I'll never be that thrilled with a solid stable consistent player but then again, when Amélie pulls that upset I didn't think would happen, the highs are unbelievable. And there is the fact that someone has to be her fan, may as well be me! :D

lmao at the running out there and shaking them! I've bashed Amélie over the head mentally many times. Hope I'm not making the head case worse!! :p

mandy7
Oct 17th, 2003, 04:51 PM
I still think she's a great player though

Jen'sFan
Oct 17th, 2003, 04:52 PM
I still think she's a great player though
Yeh but her head aint great....Thats the problem...

mandy7
Oct 17th, 2003, 04:57 PM
I seem to like the girls with problems in their heads

vogus
Oct 17th, 2003, 07:12 PM
Mauresmo needs to smoke fewer cigarettes :rolleyes: