PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here hate Pierce or Dockic...

DA FOREHAND
Oct 16th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Because of thier dads? :eek: :rolleyes:

Kart
Oct 16th, 2003, 03:37 PM
As much as I hate Alexandra Stevenson because of her mother.

griffin
Oct 16th, 2003, 03:39 PM
I think people have mostly felt sorry for Mary because her Dad's bs was mostly directed at her - but I do think Jelena caught a lot of hate because of her father (more from the Aussies, I think. she hasn't gotten as much attention in general from the US)

DA FOREHAND
Oct 16th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Who knows, everything is possible, some people dislike Justine for her hand.

I like justine's game, but dont like her as a player because she's proven herself not to be above gamesmanship, and a liar :tape:

vaiva
Oct 16th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Who is Dockic?

TonyP
Oct 16th, 2003, 03:52 PM
There are, as Griffin points out, two distinct kinds of bad tennis parent. One type abuses (and that is kind of a catch all term) their own child. In this group, one might lump Jim Pierce and most certainly Lucic's father, whatever his name is. In the case of Lucic's father, we are apparently talking actual physical abuse. The others probably subjected their kids only to verbal abuse and manipulation.

Then there is the kind of parent who does things harmful to tennis or disrespectfull to their daughters opponents.

In that category you would include Dokic's father and quite possible Richard Williams. There is no record either man abused their own kids, just behaved badly in public.

There are other tennis parents, and Melanie Molitor might even be one of them, who perhaps pushed their kids too hard or made too much of tennis.

That's harder obviously to quantify, although certainly, that was Capriati's complaint for awhile about her father. Hingis never made any such claims about Melanie and has always defended her completely, saying only that her mother was "more ambitious" than she herself was. But they remain close to this very day and were apparently seen looking very warm and friendly together at the Swisscom.

Anyway, you may have other ideas and I am certainly we would love to hear them.

But to answer your questions, no, I don't hate any player because of what a parent has done.

QUEENLINDSAY
Oct 16th, 2003, 03:53 PM
I love Dokic and Pierce

alexusjonesfan
Oct 16th, 2003, 03:58 PM
Who is Dockic?

:lol:

sylvain
Oct 16th, 2003, 04:16 PM
I really hate Mary and Jelena 's fathers. They are really awful persons. :shout: But I like Mary and Jelena. They are very kind. :)

DA FOREHAND
Oct 16th, 2003, 04:23 PM
I like all of the players mentioned in TonyP's post.

Lucic, Dokic,Pierce, Venus, Serena, Martina and Jennifer, and I have no reason not to like Alex.

Martian Willow
Oct 16th, 2003, 04:25 PM
...I was hoping DA FOREHAND and DA BACKHAND were going to get into an argument there...that would be really confusing...anyway...to answer the question...no...can't see what Melanie Molitor has to do with it...she seems to be the perfect example of a good tennis parent to me... :)

TonyP
Oct 16th, 2003, 04:54 PM
I really don't know any reason to hate Alex, either. In person she is a very sweet young woman.

At times, I even wonder if we are too hard on tennis parents. Most of the people mentioned in this thread did NOT come from wealthy backgrounds or even upper middle class backgrounds.

Tennis, for all of them, was their ticket to success. Who is to say where a Martina Hingis or a Venus Williams or a Jennifer Capriati would be today if they were not all amazing athletes?

They would have all probably finished high school and maybe or maybe not gone on to college, providiing there was any money to go to college on.

So their parents in some ways just did the best they could to help them live a better life, through a sport they could play well.

But that is not to say that some parents don't push their kids too hard or even make the wrong choices for them. Remember, Jennifer was once heard screaming at her father that he treated her like a cash machine, setting her up over and over again to play in lucrative exhibition matches that didn't mean squat in any other way.

So, these parents do at times probably make mistakes, just as stage mothers do for kids in show business. And sometimes, the mother or father may be living through their kids, carrying out their dreams of sports glory that are not necessarily the kids' dream, or at least, not as much of a dream.

But it is a difficult job. How much do you make your kid play tennis? How much do you make your kid practice the piano if he or she could be a talented pianist? How much of their childhood should they be willing to give up to have a short, but potentially profitable tennis career?

There is also, incidentally, always the problem of the parents waltzing off with the kids' money. There are lots of show biz stories about that kind of thing happening, but so far, I don't know of any tennis stories along that line, but eventually, I will bet that one turns up.

Lastly, about Melanie. As I said, I have followed Martina's career closely and never heard her say one word negative about her mother. She also implied that anything that went wrong in her game was purely her own fault.

Some, of course, blame too much early play for the foot and ankle problems that ended Martina's career and its hard to know if that was the problem or not. Certainly, we know Martina played an aweful lot of tennis, years of both singles and doubles and perhaps her body did just plain give out, with a little help from bad shoes.

But in general, Melanie has been a great parent, although apparently a hard task master.

Of course, the results were spectacular and Hingis today is living the good life and she owes that all to tennis and to no small extent, to her tennis mother.

Jen'sFan
Oct 16th, 2003, 05:54 PM
I dont like Pierce at all, but nothing to do with her Dad. I just dont like her. Dokic is ok now that she's got rid of her dad, didnt used to like her before.

Justinefan
Oct 16th, 2003, 05:59 PM
How can anyone hate Mary Pierce? She is awesome.. and I don't hate Jelena.. I think she sucks right now,.. but i don't hate her.. and can we really hate players because of their parents?? I mean if they act like there parents yeah.. or go along with it.. like Jelena in Australia... but Mary's dad being an ass was all put on her.. so how could youe ver hate Mary

DA FOREHAND
Oct 16th, 2003, 06:02 PM
So if Jennifer "got rid of her dad" you'd like her more?

Jen'sFan
Oct 16th, 2003, 06:03 PM
How can anyone hate Mary Pierce? She is awesome.. and I don't hate Jelena.. I think she sucks right now,.. but i don't hate her.. and can we really hate players because of their parents?? I mean if they act like there parents yeah.. or go along with it.. like Jelena in Australia... but Mary's dad being an ass was all put on her.. so how could youe ver hate Mary
One of those things. Its just the way she strolls round the court or something, i dunno. Seems really arrogant to me. She might be the sweetest person but i dont particularly like her.

Jen'sFan
Oct 16th, 2003, 06:05 PM
So if Jennifer "got rid of her dad" you'd like her more?
If thats aimed at me then no. Dokic used to look like a stroppy teenager on court. Recently since she's got rid of her father she seems to be smiling more and seems happier. Nothing personally to do with her dad.

spooky
Oct 16th, 2003, 06:05 PM
I dont like Pierce at all, but nothing to do with her Dad. I just dont like her. Dokic is ok now that she's got rid of her dad, didnt used to like her before.

She got rid of her dad and look what happen to her tennis it's in the toilet.

Jen'sFan
Oct 16th, 2003, 06:08 PM
She got rid of her dad and look what happen to her tennis it's in the toilet.
Yes unfortunately...

-Ph51-
Oct 16th, 2003, 06:57 PM
If thats aimed at me then no. Dokic used to look like a stroppy teenager on court. Recently since she's got rid of her father she seems to be smiling more and seems happier. Nothing personally to do with her dad.
Think you didn't saw her yesterday.No smiling at all.She looks very unhappy!

Jen'sFan
Oct 16th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Think you didn't saw her yesterday.No smiling at all.She looks very unhappy!
No i didnt but when ive seen her she's been smiling in last few months. She was probably really focused or something. She used to always look like she was in a sulk...

WhatTheDeuce
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:09 PM
No I don't. I hate their dads, but why would that mean I hate them. In fact, I LOVE both of them, especially Dokic...

Tompier
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:11 PM
Hate Mary becouse of Her dad ?? That is the stupidest thing I have read here today :( . Mary is just wonderfull and so great to watch, very kind, polite, ellegant, beautifull, powerfull, amazing, she is just the best :hearts: and I love Her :hearts: . I don't like Jelena to much but not becouse of her father.

griffin
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:17 PM
Hate Mary becouse of Her dad ?? That is the stupidest thing I have read here today :(

I don't think DA F was saying it would be reasonable, but rather asking if it had happened (and if that's really the stupidest thing you've read here today, my guess is you haven't been reading for long ;) )

Ballbuster
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:20 PM
Hate Mary becouse of Her dad ?? That is the stupidest thing I have read here today :( . Mary is just wonderfull and so great to watch, very kind, polite, ellegant, beautifull, powerfull, amazing, she is just the best :hearts: and I love Her :hearts: . I don't like Jelena to much but not becouse of her father.

I like Jelena because, I do.

I don't like Mary. I just don't.

Never because of her father, because of her attitude when she plays my fave.

Linda Owens
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:15 AM
I love Jelena!!! She's the best thing about tennis

I HATE Mary Pierce, she is a snobby bitch!

Piotrek
Oct 17th, 2003, 06:16 PM
Linda Owens YOU ARE A SNOBBY BITCH !!!!

Jen'sFan
Oct 17th, 2003, 06:17 PM
Linda Owens YOU ARE A SNOBBY BITCH !!!!
Maybe but i think Pierce is as well...

Tompier
Oct 17th, 2003, 06:19 PM
I love Jelena!!! She's the best thing about tennis

I HATE Mary Pierce, she is a snobby bitch!

:rolleyes:

Mark Spruce
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:12 PM
I love Mary and do like Jelena allot.

regards

Mark

PierceCheng
Oct 18th, 2003, 06:50 AM
I hate her because she defeat my favorite player Mary Pierce & Anna Kournikova to destroy my good dreams!! :sad: :bigcry: :tears: :hysteric: :sobbing: :crying2: :( :mad: :fiery: :banghead: :shout:

Therefore I was became her hostile fans. :devil:

But I like Mary Pierce because beside she not only beautiful, the skill in ball games also is good, moreover has Andre Agassi's male spirit. Therefore she is my first favorite player. :bounce: :hearts: :inlove: :kiss: :yeah: :woohoo:

What do you think? :confused:

mandy7
Oct 18th, 2003, 08:48 AM
You just can't hate a player cause of her dad. that's just bullshit!!
And I think Jelena and Mary are cool

azza
Oct 18th, 2003, 08:55 AM
whats wrong with Marys dad :confused:

Tompier
Oct 18th, 2003, 11:34 AM
Maybe but i think Pierce is as well...

SO YOU MUST HATE YOURSELF AS WELL :lol: :lol: :lol:

I FELL SORRY FOR YOU

anabel
Oct 18th, 2003, 12:28 PM
I hate Mary.

I will always hate her :fiery:

Bероника
Oct 18th, 2003, 07:22 PM
I dislike both of them,but it has nothing to do with their fathers.

Berlin_Calling
Oct 18th, 2003, 07:28 PM
I hate Mary.

I will always hate her :fiery:

Dont tell me you hate her because she beat Conchi in RG...:rolleyes:

Tompier
Oct 18th, 2003, 08:08 PM
Dont tell me you hate her because she beat Conchi in RG...:rolleyes:

....and many many other times ;) ;) ;)

Sectumsempra
Jun 12th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I love them both :hearts:

Bayo
Jun 12th, 2009, 01:18 PM
I hated Mary as a player because the ridiculous pre-service rituals drove me insane. Not to mention what she did to Dementieva at the USO in 2005 (and I'm really not even a Dementieva fan). But I always thought that she was a lovely and kind person off court. And I admired that she was so open about her faith.

I know several people who think that Dokic has exploited her rocky relationship with her father in order to generate sympathy, but I don't think it's fair to make assumptions like that. Who knows what she's really been through.

Any abusive relationship with a parent is to be pitied, IMO.

deepsand
Jun 12th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Jelena Dokic is LOVE ok!!!

guyinsf
Jun 13th, 2009, 07:34 PM
One of the post stupid questions ever!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why would you hate a player because of what their dads do? They have nothing to do with the behavior of their parents.
A much better question is has their father helped or hindered their career?

The Witch-king
Jun 13th, 2009, 08:24 PM
This forum was weird back in the day

Sylvester
Jun 13th, 2009, 08:42 PM
It can happen.

I like Lena because of Mommy Vera! :hearts:

Vaidisova Ruled
Jun 13th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I hated Mary as a player because the ridiculous pre-service rituals drove me insane. Not to mention what she did to Dementieva at the USO in 2005 (and I'm really not even a Dementieva fan).

What did she do?