PDA

View Full Version : Most Women Have Dog Breath

JonBcn
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:29 AM
My favourite headline of the day...

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/031016/80/eb8vy.html

Most women have dog breath

LONDON (Reuters) - More than half of Britons could have breath that smells worse that their pet's, according to a survey.

And women are the worst offenders, with three out of five failing a sulphur emissions test, according to research by toothpaste manufacturer Aquafresh.

"Some mouths may be dirtier than cat litter," dentist Brian Grieveson said in a statement that accompanied the research released on Thursday.

"Most people in the UK do not realise that cleaning your tongue is as important as cleaning your teeth," he added.

Scots had the best oral hygiene, with only 10 percent suffering bad breath, compared to 27 percent in London. Throughout the nation, 52 percent were rated at a level that could be worse than that of a pet animal.

"We are one of the last countries to understand the need to clean our tongue, with people in America and parts of Europe practising tongue cleaning routinely," said Grieveson.

Secretaries were the freshest profession, achieving 100 percent freshness in the survey of 1,000 people, while retail staff fared worst and received the warning: "You could be losing sales".

JonBcn
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:31 AM
Disgusting. I'm British, and I thought everyone knew the importance of cleaning your tongue? :confused: And flossing, for that matter...

King Satan
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:46 AM
wow. ummmm ewwwww :bolt:

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:24 PM
what :eek:

just ask the next girl you snog "have you cleaned your tongue"
her reply SLAP :rolls: :haha:

rand
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:32 PM
what :eek:

just ask the next girl you snog "have you cleaned your tongue"
her reply SLAP :rolls: :haha:
well I guess if she doesn't then you wouldn't have to wait for the answer to know it...except maybe if your nose is running :lol:

CC
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:43 PM
Someone was asking about Aliens?

AjdeNate!
Oct 16th, 2003, 03:01 PM
I love the UK press! :)

JonBcn
Oct 16th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Wow this is a bit of a wake up call, I don't consciously make the effort to clean my tongue when I brush my teeth. :eek:

But then again, I've never been told I have bad breath. I guess better safe than sorry...

Dental facts time:

1) You shouldnt brush your tongue every time you brush your teeth as you can damage it; once or twice a week should be enough. But its essential, as the back of your tongue is where all the bacteria congragate.

2) Easy way to tell if you've got bad breath; using the back of your tongue (or as far as you can) lick the back of your hand, leave it half a minute and then sniff it. If it reeks; you ming ;)

AjdeNate!
Oct 16th, 2003, 03:49 PM
leave it half a minute and then sniff it. If it reeks; you ming ;)

:rolls: :haha: :lol:
:apumpkin:
:rolls: :haha: :lol:

Keith
Oct 16th, 2003, 03:59 PM
EEEW
http://home.mindspring.com/~talleyban/tardlick.gif

Ballbuster
Oct 16th, 2003, 04:04 PM
Disgusting. I'm British, and I thought everyone knew the importance of cleaning your tongue? :confused: And flossing, for that matter...

Why do the British come across with dirty teeth? In America, most Britons look like yuck mouth.

gentenaire
Oct 16th, 2003, 04:09 PM
2) Easy way to tell if you've got bad breath; using the back of your tongue (or as far as you can) lick the back of your hand, leave it half a minute and then sniff it. If it reeks; you ming ;)

Didn't know this. I don't smell anything after half a minute, but then, I've got a cold ;)

alexusjonesfan
Oct 16th, 2003, 04:14 PM
Didn't know this. I don't smell anything after half a minute, but then, I've got a cold ;)

well, then you probably wouldn't want to stick a toothbrush down your throat...lest it come back with phlegm :o

JonBcn
Oct 16th, 2003, 04:17 PM
How far back should you go?? My Mum used to tell us to do it, but I always found that it made me feel like I was going to be sick if I stuck it in too far back (I am aware of the sexual inuendo in this sentence :p )!!

Um...stop if you start to gag ;) And dont brush too hard, you just have to scrape the surface really.

CC
Oct 16th, 2003, 04:20 PM
I think you should all stop, really. Ewws all around.

CondiLicious
Oct 16th, 2003, 04:29 PM
It's weird cause a lot of Brits have... I'm not gonna say "bad" teeth cause them gives me the image of Elizabeth I and black falling out teeth... But many have very uneven teeth and more often than not they are stained. But then I'm no different... I have an overbite myself (I need an operation to fix it cause its my jaw whichi s slightly out of place and not my teeth as such) and I have problems with my enamel (caused by medicine when I was growing up) so my teeth are far from perfect too.

my overbite (http://home.adelphia.net/~mellundy/hayleyheaven.jpg)

Maybe British parents don't push their kids to brush very much with leads to bad habits...

JonBcn
Oct 16th, 2003, 04:32 PM
Its a bit of an untrue stereotype about British people and bad teeth. Ever since we put fluoride in the water, people have been fine. Its the older generations that tend to ming a bit, but who looks at them anyway? Oh, and royalty...

CondiLicious
Oct 16th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Its a bit of an untrue stereotype about British people and bad teeth. Ever since we put fluoride in the water, people have been fine. Its the older generations that tend to ming a bit, but who looks at them anyway? Oh, and royalty...

I live in Britain and nearly all the people at my college have neven teeth. People don't wear braces as much as the US.

JonBcn
Oct 16th, 2003, 04:44 PM
Well, thats true. Definitely Americans seem to have more of a 'fix-it' culture when it comes to teeth. But I was thinking more of the black falling-out teeth you described....if you watch foreign comedy shows or films, they always have this stereotype of the Brit like that, and I dont think its true these days...

CondiLicious
Oct 16th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Well, thats true. Definitely Americans seem to have more of a 'fix-it' culture when it comes to teeth. But I was thinking more of the black falling-out teeth you described....if you watch foreign comedy shows or films, they always have this stereotype of the Brit like that, and I dont think its true these days...

Yeah... people in Britain don't have the nasty rotten teeth that they are stereotyped to have. That's why in my post I said I wasn't gonna call them "bad" because that kinda insinuates they are rotten. They are just... sometimes kinda... uneven and gappy.

vaiva
Oct 16th, 2003, 04:50 PM
I thought bad teeth is not the only source of bad breath. The type of food can also contribute to it.

As for the research, note that it was launched by Aquafresh. Maybe they are just preparing the market for a new brand of toothpaste:

Aquafresh Secret - strong enough for men but balanced for dog breath

CondiLicious
Oct 16th, 2003, 04:52 PM
The Atkins Diet can cause very nasty breath (so avoid Jennifer Aniston at all costs)

AjdeNate!
Oct 16th, 2003, 04:52 PM
Well, I've only had my tongue down 1 Brits mouth,.... and I didn't mind his teeth nor his tongue. ;)

alexusjonesfan
Oct 16th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Well, I've only had my tongue down 1 Brits mouth,.... and I didn't mind his teeth nor his tongue. ;)

sure it was just your tongue? :o

Keith
Oct 16th, 2003, 04:54 PM
Jennifer Aniston smokes, so she might have dog breath that smokes. EEW!

AjdeNate!
Oct 16th, 2003, 05:00 PM
sure it was just your tongue? :o
Yes, we didn't have that kind of time... and it was in public. I'm not that kind of guy, ya know. ;)

Martian Willow
Oct 16th, 2003, 05:03 PM
It's weird cause a lot of Brits have... I'm not gonna say "bad" teeth cause them gives me the image of Elizabeth I and black falling out teeth... But many have very uneven teeth and more often than not they are stained. But then I'm no different... I have an overbite myself (I need an operation to fix it cause its my jaw whichi s slightly out of place and not my teeth as such) and I have problems with my enamel (caused by medicine when I was growing up) so my teeth are far from perfect too.

my overbite (http://home.adelphia.net/~mellundy/hayleyheaven.jpg)

Maybe British parents don't push their kids to brush very much with leads to bad habits...

...lots of people have overbites...it's perfectly normal and sometimes quite attractive...the only problem is with Americans who think they have to have everything 'fixed'... :rolleyes:

:)

Darran
Oct 16th, 2003, 06:57 PM
No surprise that the south has a far worse percentage than us northerners ;)

decemberlove
Oct 16th, 2003, 07:07 PM
...lots of people have overbites...it's perfectly normal and sometimes quite attractive...the only problem is with Americans who think they have to have everything 'fixed'... :rolleyes:

:)

dont be mad cos we have nice teeth :)

i dunno about over there, but in america, there are tongue scrapers available to get all the nastiness off. its easier and more effective than using your toothbrush.

alexusjonesfan
Oct 16th, 2003, 07:10 PM
Yes, definitely use tongue cleaners. They're dirt cheap and they do a great job. Don't leave home without one :o

and no I'm not a representative from the tongue cleaner lobby :p

King Satan
Oct 16th, 2003, 07:12 PM
I haven't tried one of those tongue cleaners. i always use my tooth brush. i clean my tongue everytime i brush.

alexusjonesfan
Oct 16th, 2003, 07:15 PM
http://www.livingaidsonline.co.uk/acatalog/tonguecleaner.jpg http://www.dentalwellness.net/images/oolitt.jpghttp://www.healthynutritionaldiet.com/therabreath/images/49.gif

toreador
Oct 17th, 2003, 03:21 AM
I haven't tried one of those tongue cleaners. i always use my tooth brush. i clean my tongue everytime i brush.
yep me too...but it makes me wanna vomit :tape: :o

skanky~skanketta
Oct 17th, 2003, 06:42 AM
i did the test it smelt like the tip of my tongue. i do brush my tongue once a week.nothing rotting in this mouth!YAY!

CC
Oct 17th, 2003, 02:34 PM
This is strange all over. I brush my tongue everytime I brush my teeth, and so does everyone around me.

alexusjonesfan
Oct 17th, 2003, 03:39 PM
Does nobody here except decemberlove and I use tongue cleaners? :eek:

Eww :shrug:

per4ever
Oct 17th, 2003, 04:15 PM
never even heard of tongue cleaners :eek: lol

Princess Fiona
Oct 17th, 2003, 06:04 PM
never even heard of tongue cleaners :eek: lol

I'm the same... :o The TheraBreath Cleaner that caelestia posted looks like a razor - I am thinking about having a razor on my tongue... Ewwww... *feeling squeamish* ;)

alexusjonesfan
Oct 17th, 2003, 10:57 PM
I'm the same... :o The TheraBreath Cleaner that caelestia posted looks like a razor - I am thinking about having a razor on my tongue... Ewwww... *feeling squeamish* ;)

pfft, you don't need that top layer of tongue for anything :p

Mrs. Peel
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:37 PM
Arf!! Arf!!

decemberlove
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:48 PM
yawl are nasty :p

go get some tongue scrapers, PLEASE!

Colin B
Oct 18th, 2003, 12:53 AM
Hmmm tounge scrapers eh? sounds like an instrument of torture. I find a quick gargle with some Listerine a few times a day does the trick. :)

Mrs. Peel
Oct 18th, 2003, 12:57 AM
I have a tongue scraper and I love it but when I went to the acupuncturist I got a little chewed out (gently :D ) as the tongue tells many stories about your health..and if you scrape...then all the valuable data is down the drain!!!! :toothy:

azza
Oct 19th, 2003, 01:10 PM
Ewww yuk :unsure: