PDA

View Full Version : Davenport undergoes surgery, will miss WTA Tour Championships

Jarrett
Oct 16th, 2003, 06:39 AM
Davenport undergoes surgery, will miss WTA Tour Championships

October 15, 2003

ST. PETERSBURG, Florida (Ticker) - Lindsay Davenport underwent surgery on her troublesome left foot Wednesday and will miss the season-ending WTA Tour Championships, tour officials announced.

Bothered by the foot virtually all year, Davenport had surgery to address Morton's neuroma, an enlarged nerve that typically occurs between the third and fourth toes. She is expected to be sidelined for six to eight weeks but hopes to recover in time for the Australian Open, which begins January 19.

The injury also forced the world's fourth-ranked player to miss the Advanta Championships, which begin October 27 in Philadelphia.

"I'm very disappointed that I won't be able to play in Philadelphia and the WTA Tour Championships, which is a prestigious tournament and an important one for me because it's in my hometown," said Davenport, a Los Angeles native.

"It was a difficult decision to have the surgery at this time because it means missing the Championships, where the best compete against the best. But I'm really looking forward to getting back onto the court and being ready for the start of next season."

Davenport, 27, won just one tournament this season, taking the Pan Pacific Open at the end of January. She reached five other finals but her best showing at a Grand Slam event was reaching the semifinals of the U.S. Open, where she was beaten by Belgium's Kim Clijsters.

Lindsayfan
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:55 AM
finally 1 good note from Lindsay! :yeah:
Get well soon baby,and be ready for the next season! :worship: :bounce:

where is Bandabou,the "she'll never be back" man? :rolleyes:

Gowza
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:58 AM
i'm glad she's getting the surgery if not to help her move better then just so she doesn't have to go through all that pain.

i just hope that she fully recovers and she can improve her movement and speed around the court.

bis2806
Oct 16th, 2003, 10:03 AM
I feel kind of relieved now that Lindsay has decided she is going for surgery... Let's hope that she won't face any more problems with her foot and that she regains her mental strength very quickly... All the best for Lindsay in the next season!!! i hope she will overcome her doubts really soon...

Lindsayfan
Oct 16th, 2003, 10:09 AM
bis,she doesnt have doubts:she said she'll be back next year! :)

QUEENLINDSAY
Oct 16th, 2003, 03:50 PM
Get well soon My Lindsay!!!!!