PDA

View Full Version : Why is Stevenson hated so much?

viele
Oct 16th, 2003, 12:28 AM
I've only been here for a few weeks now but I've already detected an incredible amount of animosity towards Alexandra. But I can't for the life of me figure out why. I don't ever recall her saying anything overly controversial and her actions on and off court don't seem to warrant this kind of reaction. I do seem to recall some kind of tiff with Loit and other French players but other than that.......... Maybe I'm missing something. Can someone please enlighten me?

ally baker
Oct 16th, 2003, 12:30 AM
Here's a better question...

Besides being black... is there any reason why someone should like Alex?

viele
Oct 16th, 2003, 12:35 AM

Nobody has to like her but why is she HATED? And what does being black have to do with anything?

ally baker
Oct 16th, 2003, 12:38 AM
Simply for being black, she has fans on here... just like some posters here just like players for being Russian, Spanish, etc...

viele
Oct 16th, 2003, 12:41 AM
Simply for being black, she has fans on here... just like some posters here just like players for being Russian, Spanish, etc...

And I'm one of those people. I like Alex and I want her to succeed. But no one has answered as to why people hate her. I sure hope it's not for the same reason listed above.

yukon145
Oct 16th, 2003, 12:42 AM
she's too cocky. she's not even good, so she can't be that cocky. IMO

Hurley
Oct 16th, 2003, 12:44 AM
I don't ever recall her saying anything overly controversial...I do seem to recall some kind of tiff with Loit and other French players but other than that

Looks like you don't need anyone else to answer your own question ;)

*JR*
Oct 16th, 2003, 12:57 AM
she's too cocky. she's not even good, so she can't be that cocky. IMO Best answer in the thread so far. (Of course half the trash-talking is actually done by her mother). And in an odd way, the intensely negative reaction of many ppl is yet another way Anna and Alex are linked, sort of like: "If you haven't won stuff, don't be either very rich or very arrogant".

Venus Forever
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:04 AM

Sorry, but a "not even good" player does not thrash the #3 player in the world 6-1 6-1, and even have a winning record against her. A "not even good" player does not have wins over top 10 players and former top 10 players, like Coetzer, Dokic, Myskina, Hantuchova, Dementieva, Huber, Maleeva, Martinez, Sanchez-Vicario, and Schett.

If she sucks so bad, I guess they must as well to lose to her. :o

ico4498
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:05 AM
Best answer in the thread so far. (Of course half the trash-talking is actually done by her mother). And in an odd way, the intensely negative reaction of many ppl is yet another way Anna and Alex are linked, sort of like: "If you haven't won stuff, don't be either very rich or very arrogant".

takes a lot of passion for hate ... can you really hate someone for confidence in themself despite meagre results?

disposablehero
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:06 AM

Well, she did win Wimbledon a couple of years ago just like she said she would, right?

rated_next
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:08 AM
:haha:

ToeTag
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:11 AM
:shrug: I always thought that the ppl who were most critical of her were her fans,but that they were pissed that she hasn't dumped that loud-mouthed mother of hers,and worked harder to achieve all the potential alot of ppl thought she had.

switz
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:18 AM
i think a lot of anomosity stems from things she said earlier in her career before she actually got a dose of reality about how hard it was going to be for her to fulfill her potential. there was the whole diary she wrote which made her look bad in many people's eyes. some people probably resented the fact that she kept getting gold-exempt status when she wasn't particularly popular and was having very erratic results.

IMO she has been fine for quite a while now. you don't her talking herself up all the time, and she doesn't seem so keen to grab the spotlight anymore. i think a lot of people on this board have an unhealthy hatred of her, and i think it's about time a lot of you just get over it. i know i have.

G_Slammed
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:19 AM
Alex has what we call B.B.G.P. - Big Black Girl Potential.

Still wondering why they hate her so much?

You forgot three time slam winner Capriati, Venus Forever.

goldenlox
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:21 AM
I like her too. I think any player who is mentioned in GM will be insulted.
It's what most posters do.

Joseosu19
I think she's never been past the 2nd rd of a grandslam other than her run at Wimby, so she doesn't have that much to be cocky about.

GoDominique
Her mother ended Anne-Gaelle Sidot's career. Nuff said.

Venus Forever
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:35 AM
Alex has what we call B.B.G.P. - Big Black Girl Potential.

Still wondering why they hate her so much?

You forgot three time slam winner Capriati, Venus Forever.

I mentioned her without using her name, hence the 6-1 6-1 victory over the #3 player in the world and leading H2H. ;)

PointBlank
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:36 AM
seriously i actually like her! she has a great personality....exept her cry-baby attitude.......but she can beat great players easily but know why she cant beat easy players! all her matches go into three which means she doesn't give up and she reached Wimby semi's i mean how manyc people can say that!

Munchen
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:37 AM

I like players for just being Russians :bounce:

G_Slammed
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:39 AM
Sorry 'bout that Vee4ever!

*JR*
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:41 AM
takes a lot of passion for hate ... can you really hate someone for confidence in themself despite meagre results?
I agree with you about that, and personally sorta shake my head instead @ players who "won't grow" (in Alex's case, Samantha basically screwed up her attitude. In fact, her best friend on the tour, Venus, nicknamed Alex "the big baby" in an only half-flattering way). And G Slam, IF "Big White Girl Potential" Mirjana Lucic had talked so much in relation to her record, she'd get flamed too. Lastly, V 4ever, yes Alex has beaten big name players, but she's lost to big names, small names, you "name" it too early and often; plus "mailing it in" the last few games of various losses helps get one a negative image.

Rolling-Thunder
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:43 AM
A lot of the dislike for her stems from the bombastic and abrasive things her mother said and did during and since '99 Wimbledon where Alex got to the semis. I think it is just that simple. Plus she has not lived up to anything on a consistent basis
since then. And when she has lost she has not always comported herself with dignity and pleasantness considering her poor track record.

I am neither a fan nor a foe. But I am very disappointed in her performance and had higher expectations of her. Sadly those expectations have not been met because she refuses to lose some much needed weight and get in shape!

viele
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:44 AM

How did she do that?

Doc
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:45 AM
Originally Posted by ally baker
Well that doesn't answer why some people are so bitchy towards her then, when they aren't bitch to the Russian, Spanish players etc.

Besides being black... is there any reason why someone should like Alex? Very curious question. There's lots of reasons someone might like Alex. Just as there is for all players.

Originally Posted by yukon145
she's too cocky. she's not even good, so she can't be that cocky. IMO In what way has she been more "cocky" than any other player recently?

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:46 AM
I don't see much hatred directed at Alex. It is nothng compared to what is directed at Anna Kournikova.

What I do see is people rolling their eyes at Alex every time she (almost predictably) throws away a match she should win. Like Anna K, she is an underachiever compared to her potential.

Venus Forever
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:49 AM

I'm not black, and I like her. ;)

She has a great game, although inconsistent. In fact, she's very much like your fave, Elena Bovina. Big serve, big forehand, big backhand, and even a feisty attitude.

What reason do you not have for liking her? ;)

Venus Forever
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:50 AM
A lot of the dislike for her stems from the bombastic and abrasive things her mother said and did during and since '99 Wimbledon where Alex got to the semis. I think it is just that simple. Plus she has not lived up to anything on a consistent basis
since then. And when she has lost she has not always comported herself with dignity and pleasantness considering her poor track record.

I am neither a fan nor a foe. But I am very disappointed in her performance and had higher expectations of her. Sadly those expectations have not been met because she refuses to lose some much needed weight and get in shape!

I don't know, but, if you hate someone because of their mother, than you have problems. Just because of a parent, you hate a person?? How shallow is that?? :o

tennischick
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:52 AM
i think Alex sucks but i don't hate her. i just think she sucks.

bionic71
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:54 AM
I certainly don't "hate" the girl.........that word is used far to freely.

That said, I do find it difficult to barrack for her though.

She has a high annoyance factor to her personality.......be it arrogance or prissiness. She is not endearing at all.

For me I don't like her style of play either. She is obviously incredibly difficult to beat on a fast court if her game in working..........but we have all have watched her play some absolutely horrid tennis. She has about 3 good matches a year and the rest are very mediorce.

Hate her though??.............no

GoDominique
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:08 AM
How did she do that?
That was at Wimbledon 2000, where Samantha Stevenson accused Sidot and Amelie Cocheteux of racist comments or something like that. Sidot has never been the same after that and is now retired. :(

~ The Leopard ~
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:08 AM
It is true, though, that some posters cheer against her on principle, no matter who she is playing. I don't see the point of cheering against players like that, except a dominant player who is not a particular fave, on the "cheer for the underdog" theory.

I'd like to see Alex get her act together and do much better than she has so far.

GoDominique
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:13 AM
I gained quite a lot of respect for Alex last fall when she played really well and you could see that she had done some work on her game, especially the backhand.
But then she makes comments about reaching the top 10, only to play like crap for most of 2003. She hasn't made any progress this year.

And her hand-shakes are awful.

Venus Forever
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:15 AM
That was at Wimbledon 2000, where Samantha Stevenson accused Sidot and Amelie Cocheteux of racist comments or something like that. Sidot has never been the same after that and is now retired. :(

Once again, Samantha is mistaken for Alexandra.

Samantha did this, not Alexandra. Why blame it on Alexandra if she didn't do it??

Don't like Samantha, it's as simple as that. But to root against and cheer againt Alexandra just because of what her mother said?? :rolleyes:

Aerien
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:17 AM
Well, she did win Wimbledon a couple of years ago just like she said she would, right?

The only WTA Tour title Alex ever won was a doubles title where she had Serena Williams as a partner.

GoDominique
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:22 AM
I don't cheer against Alex. I do have some problems with her, as you can see from my previous post.

But I can't say that the incident involving her mother has made me like her more.
I don't hate Alex for that, but it's obvious that many people also "hate" Alex because of her mother, may that be right or wrong, and I just wanted to show that.

persond
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:41 AM
Best answer in the thread so far. (Of course half the trash-talking is actually done by her mother). And in an odd way, the intensely negative reaction of many ppl is yet another way Anna and Alex are linked, sort of like: "If you haven't won stuff, don't be either very rich or very arrogant".

Hate to "burst your bubble", but...!!! Having won or not is certainly not the only criterion most knuckleheads on this board use for hating or accusing someone of being "arrogant"...!!! :angel: :angel:

persond
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:48 AM

And, what did Samantha do??? Poison Sidot...??? Break her arm or her leg...???... What...???

persond
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:54 AM

And, you want us to "believe" that Sidot's mentality is that "fragile" that the mere fact she was accused of racist statements ended her career...??? Damn...that's awesome power man...!!! The power of the "spoken word"...!!! Guess I'll have to try that one out for myself...!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

yukon145
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:59 AM
Sorry, but a "not even good" player does not thrash the #3 player in the world 6-1 6-1, and even have a winning record against her. A "not even good" player does not have wins over top 10 players and former top 10 players, like Coetzer, Dokic, Myskina, Hantuchova, Dementieva, Huber, Maleeva, Martinez, Sanchez-Vicario, and Schett.

If she sucks so bad, I guess they must as well to lose to her. :o
She's too cocky for a player that has never won a singles title on the WTA tour, not even a tier IV. And she has one doubles title with Serena. Of course shes a "good" tennis player, shes a pro and does that for her living. And just because she beat a certian player by a certian score and has a winning head to head doesn't mean shes better than that player. She has a long long way to go before she's better than Capriati or even a player that has won a singles title. Stevenson has also been killed by Kournikova 6-0, 6-1. So ya, I still think shes too cocky and thats how I feel. And you can like it or you don't have to. I could care less.

Ballbuster
Oct 16th, 2003, 03:13 AM
I like players for just being Russians :bounce:

Where are the people at to claw you for saying that. Boy, had a black Williams fan said they like the Williams because they are black - the thread would get bum rushed. I'm beginning to believe there is a unspoken double standard around here. :rolleyes:

I'm black and I'm not a fan of hers. I don't dislike her either. I believe she's a decent person when she wants to be and I also believe she thinks she's priviledge.

Believe or not. She is, merely being Dr. J's daughter gets her mad props.

If she starts winning. I'd jump on her bandwagon.

disposablehero
Oct 16th, 2003, 04:02 AM
The only WTA Tour title Alex ever won was a doubles title where she had Serena Williams as a partner.

I have a newfound respect for Serena. I didn't realize she gave so much of her time to charity.

TNT96
Oct 16th, 2003, 05:42 AM
Doesn't anybody remember her saying at a press conference that she wants to be an actress after she wins all of her grand slam titles? (She should try winning a MATCH first) She has also criticized other top 10 players (hingis, ect) and has no reason to do so. She "retires" in matches when being down in the 3rd, talks trash, MEDIA HOG,, the list is endless.There are far more players who are respectful and have much more talent. We are starting to see her true ranking as she freefalls out of the topr 50 and down she goes-Like the Titanic
and by the way-Venus Forever-let people say whatever they want-too bad if you don't like their opinoin-they are entitled-free speech

Wenddy
Oct 16th, 2003, 06:17 AM
Alex is not Black, She is white.
She always says she is not Black, and she hates when people says she is Black. Her choice, not ours.

JonBcn
Oct 16th, 2003, 08:26 AM
From what I can tell, most of the animosity towards Stevenson comes from things she said and did a few years ago. I thought she was an utter twat then, but she's been quiet of late, so perhaps she's grown up. Anyway, this thread should help (Stevenson's Indian Wells diary):

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=85736

DunkMachine
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:08 AM
I think she's kinda hot. In a droopyeyed puppydog kind of way.

spooky
Oct 16th, 2003, 11:45 AM
:shrug: I always thought that the ppl who were most critical of her were her fans,but that they were pissed that she hasn't dumped that loud-mouthed mother of hers,and worked harder to achieve all the potential alot of ppl thought she had.

Why should she dump her mother that is the woman that gave her life and from reading articles about her that's all she has. Would you dump your mother?

Volcana
Oct 16th, 2003, 11:53 AM

She's one of the fifty best female tennis players in the world. How's that for a reason?

Why does Clarisa Fernandez have fans?
Why does Alicia Molik have fans?
Why does Shinobu Asagoe have fans?

Volcana
Oct 16th, 2003, 11:58 AM
I've only been here for a few weeks now but I've already detected an incredible amount of animosity towards Alexandra. But I can't for the life of me figure out why. I don't ever recall her saying anything overly controversial and her actions on and off court don't seem to warrant this kind of reaction. I do seem to recall some kind of tiff with Loit and other French players but other than that.......... Maybe I'm missing something. Can someone please enlighten me?

A lot of white Americans hate anyone who points out the white racism toward Blacks still exists. ALex did that, so she's hated. If she started winning, the hatred would subside, but not go away. If you look at the Black players who've been accomplished on the tour, the love vs hate breakdown is almost totally based on two things.

a) Did they say there were racist white people?

b) Did they win?

Everytime someone brings up Chanda not facing animosity on the tourm that;s the fact I always keep in mind. Chanda never publically highlighted white racism on the tour. Venus, Serena and Alex all did. Venus and Serena have since silenced a large number of their detractors by winning. Alex hasn't.

DA FOREHAND
Oct 16th, 2003, 12:09 PM

GOOD RIDDANCE! :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

DA FOREHAND
Oct 16th, 2003, 12:14 PM
She's too cocky for a player that has never won a singles title on the WTA tour, not even a tier IV. And she has one doubles title with Serena. Of course shes a "good" tennis player, shes a pro and does that for her living. And just because she beat a certian player by a certian score and has a winning head to head doesn't mean shes better than that player. She has a long long way to go before she's better than Capriati or even a player that has won a singles title. Stevenson has also been killed by Kournikova 6-0, 6-1. So ya, I still think shes too cocky and thats how I feel. And you can like it or you don't have to. I could care less.

After receiving a breadstick in the final set the blonde bimbo stated on live television that she was a little tired and therefore still better than Venus Williams! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

100+ tournaments later the hockey qroupie is on the verge of retirement.

DA FOREHAND
Oct 16th, 2003, 12:17 PM
Alex is not Black, She is white.
She always says she is not Black, and she hates when people says she is Black. Her choice, not ours.

That's part of Alex's problem her head is all fucked up, she can say whatever she wants, that won't make people see her as a white girl. The sooner she realizes that(the french tramps reminded her) the better.

ToeTag
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Why should she dump her mother that is the woman that gave her life and from reading articles about her that's all she has. Would you dump your mother?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: OH, GROW UP!! I meant as her coach ...the last I heard the old lady was coaching her.

DA FOREHAND
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:51 PM
Why would you name names? Maybe she was encouraged not to name names by the tour?

I like the answer Venus gave on racism on the tour, something to the effect..."there's racism in the world the tour is not exempt" No need to name names. Venus has never struck me as dishonest.

Kart
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:52 PM
i think a lot of anomosity stems from things she said earlier in her career before she actually got a dose of reality about how hard it was going to be for her to fulfill her potential. there was the whole diary she wrote which made her look bad in many people's eyes. some people probably resented the fact that she kept getting gold-exempt status when she wasn't particularly popular and was having very erratic results.

IMO she has been fine for quite a while now. you don't her talking herself up all the time, and she doesn't seem so keen to grab the spotlight anymore. i think a lot of people on this board have an unhealthy hatred of her, and i think it's about time a lot of you just get over it. i know i have.

This pretty much sums up my feelings toward her :yeah: - she came across as a bit arrogant to me earlier in her career but has been pretty quiet of late.

I don't have any real issues with her these days - in fact I'd quite like to see her win a few matches. I don't think she has as much potential as some others on this board do but I think she could be maybe a top twenty player on a regular basis if she managed to close out some of those big matches and began to perform a bit more consistently.

We saw some glimpses of what she's capable of last year before her loss to Martina at Key Biscayne. After that it's all been a bit stop-start.

I don't really have an opinion on whether she's disliked because of her race like Volcana suggests. To be honest I've never really thought about it that much.

skanky~skanketta
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:53 PM
because of her mouth and her mom. but since she's been quiet these days, i'm beginning to like her a teensy bit.

Experimentee
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:55 PM
I dont understand why theres so much hate for Alex either. I like her, i think shes got a good game and a lot of talent.
Most people seem to hate her bc of her mother, which i think is so stupid considering the number of insane tennis parents nowadays. I dont think its just bc of her mum though, or in that case Dokic, Pierce, Lucic etc would be the most hated players.

I dont think shes that arrogant either. She just sets high goals for herself. I remember recently Myskina said she'd win a Grand Slam and she was praised for saying that, while instead Alex is hated for it. Alex just has a lot of confidence in her own ability. We know what she can do when she plays well, shes beaten Capriati numerous times! I wouldnt say her self belief is unwarranted, but she needs to work on being more consistent.

DA FOREHAND
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:58 PM
I think it's funny what some see as arrogance and others see as confidence/belief. I guess it varies player to player for some and some just can't stand to see a person of color be so self assured.

I don't recall many people trashing the Russian tart for her statements/claims of superiority.

DA FOREHAND
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:00 PM
Myskina isn't blk, she's entitled to believe in herself.

skanky~skanketta
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:04 PM
once again its all about being black isnt it.

Experimentee
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:06 PM
As for your point a), Stevenson made a fool of herself with her racist accusations. She wasn't able to come with a name or an incident, just something she perceives. It was just her having her they-are-all-against-me attitude.

If Alex had named names she'd probably be even more hated for making classless, unecessary accusations etc.
Is it so hard for you to believe that Alex has had some racist experiences in her life on tour? :confused:
Most people who are part of minority groups do experience racism at least a few times in their lives. Just because everyone does have their prejudices, the extent of this just varies from individual to individual.

Experimentee
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Maybe she had, who knows. But that just sounded like she was playing the victim more than anything else.

I think whenever we see a quote from a player we all have our own interpretations of it. Some might see it your way and some might not. Our previous opinion of the player always affects the way we read their quotes. We see that with just about every player on this board, they are bashed so much on here for just the smallest things.

DA FOREHAND
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Look, just read one, one article about her. She always sounded like a twat. Which doesn't seem to be the case anymore fortunately for her, but people will usually keep the first impression they had on a player.

Which is why Kournikova remains popular...tits and ass, the Carling Bassett of her generation....known more for her looks than her tennis.

DA FOREHAND
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:20 PM
Justine isn't black, so she generates quite a lot of hate from a lot of black posters. :rolleyes:

justine generated all that hate :wavey: w/the infamous hand-gate. I think that was pretty universal, and not just limited to "blk posters".

DA FOREHAND
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:34 PM
I suppose all the people who hate her because of her mother also hate,....

Dockic, Pierce , Graf, Williams,Williams, Lucic, Capriati.

CapFan#1
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:37 PM
I dont understand why theres so much hate for Alex either. I like her, i think shes got a good game and a lot of talent.
Most people seem to hate her bc of her mother, which i think is so stupid considering the number of insane tennis parents nowadays. I dont think its just bc of her mum though, or in that case Dokic, Pierce, Lucic etc would be the most hated players.

I dont think shes that arrogant either. She just sets high goals for herself. I remember recently Myskina said she'd win a Grand Slam and she was praised for saying that, while instead Alex is hated for it. Alex just has a lot of confidence in her own ability. We know what she can do when she plays well, shes beaten Capriati numerous times! I wouldnt say her self belief is unwarranted, but she needs to work on being more consistent.

Oh give me a break........ Myskina said her next goal should be to win a Grand Slam, which is realistic for her, since she has won a tournament (and had just one a Tier 1) and is a Top 10 player. All things Alex hasn't done, and probably never will.

DA FOREHAND
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:45 PM
So because you haven't yet won a tournament, you shouldn't set goals?

Good reasoning, just go out there hit every ball to the center of the court and before you know it you'll win Pilot Penn on a walk-over.

mauresmofan
Oct 16th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Well personally I hate Alex for being such an ungracious loser. You'd think she'd be used to it at this stage - after all she's lost far more matches than she's won! Well that and she sang a song on BBC a few years ago during her run at Wimbeldon - It was hate at first site!

CapFan#1
Oct 16th, 2003, 03:02 PM
So because you haven't yet won a tournament, you shouldn't set goals?

Good reasoning, just go out there hit every ball to the center of the court and before you know it you'll win Pilot Penn on a walk-over.

Wow are you stupid.

Sure set goals, but for Alex it should be to win 2 rounds in a row......

Did you even watch the Pilot Pen Final jack ass???? Cappy hit to each corner and ran Davenport all over court. She was painting the lines left and right. And Devenport was FINE, until the 3rd game in the 2nd set, when her bum toe acted up. Dont talk about shit you dont understand DUMB ASS

ToeTag
Oct 16th, 2003, 03:04 PM
Well personally I hate Alex for being such an ungracious loser. You'd think she'd be used to it at this stage - after all she's lost far more matches than she's won! Well that and she sang a song on BBC a few years ago during her run at Wimbeldon - It was hate at first site!
:confused: What song was it?

mauresmofan
Oct 16th, 2003, 03:05 PM
Wow are you stupid.

Sure set goals, but for Alex it should be to win 2 rounds in a row......

Did you even watch the Pilot Pen Final jack ass???? Cappy hit to each corner and ran Davenport all over court. She was painting the lines left and right. And Devenport was FINE, until the 3rd game in the 2nd set, when her bum toe acted up. Dont talk about shit you dont understand DUMB ASS

Have to agree Jenn had that tournament won all by herself - she was playing some shit hot tennis that week!

mauresmofan
Oct 16th, 2003, 03:06 PM
:confused: What song was it?

I can't remember - the ordeal was too horrific to keep in my memory banks but i think it was something from a musical. She thought she was so cute but I'd replace the word cute with repugnant!

Meg22
Oct 16th, 2003, 03:31 PM
It's very curious that people may not like Alex 'cause of her mom says about Sidot.
If Sidot act like a rascism, why should Alex's mom shut up about that?
Anymosity is here on the wrong way !!!

Ballbuster
Oct 16th, 2003, 03:43 PM
Wow!!!

I see Volcana's very enlightening post did propel this thread into race issue. Isn't Alex's mom white?Mad at mommy for loving black men?

Kart
Oct 16th, 2003, 11:44 PM
I can't remember - the ordeal was too horrific to keep in my memory banks but i think it was something from a musical. She thought she was so cute but I'd replace the word cute with repugnant!

OMG I thought I was the only person to remember this :eek: - I can't remember which song it was but the interviewer asked her about her recent high school performance in the musical (or something like that) and she said that she had been in Grease: The Musical and then gave a rendition when he asked for it. It was painful to say the least :mad:.

Martian Willow
Oct 16th, 2003, 11:57 PM
...go Alex...!!! :bounce:

:)

Martian Willow
Oct 16th, 2003, 11:58 PM
...but not this week... :(

disposablehero
Oct 17th, 2003, 12:09 AM
I think it's funny what some see as arrogance and others see as confidence/belief. I guess it varies player to player for some and some just can't stand to see a person of color be so self assured.

I don't recall many people trashing the Russian tart for her statements/claims of superiority.

The rule of thumb is, if you can back up at least half of what you say, it is confidence. If you can back up less than a tenth, it is arrogance. (Or maybe delusion)

rated_next
Oct 17th, 2003, 12:30 AM
:haha:

viele
Oct 17th, 2003, 01:28 AM
I should've known this thread would generate this kinda response. As for her being cocky, how is she any different from many of the young players who have come out in recent years? Hingis, Dokic, both Williams, Kournikova. They've all displayed ultra-confident personalities that have been perceived as cockiness. And yet while all of them have their detractors, Alex seems to have an extra amount of vitriol directed at her. Oh well, I guess some people just rub others the wrong way. Admittedly, there are some players on tour who for no specific reason grate on my nerves. I just wanted to see what reasons people gave for not liking Alex.

Kart
Oct 17th, 2003, 01:33 AM
I'm sure they have the same amount of vitriol, it's just that Alex doesn't have quite the same sized legion of fans to mount as large a defence.

goldenlox
Oct 17th, 2003, 01:45 AM
I've seen Alex on the show Topspin. She seems to be having a lot of fun. And she comes across as a very warm person.
You can't judge a player's quality of life by what's written in GM.

disposablehero
Oct 17th, 2003, 01:50 AM
Hingis, Dokic, both Williams, Kournikova. They've all displayed ultra-confident personalities that have been perceived as cockiness.

Winner of 5 Slams. Former World #1 for a total of about 3 years.
Winner of multiple titles, including 1 or 2 Tier I's. Former World #4
Winner of 6 Slams. Former World #1.
Winner of 4 Slams. Former World #1.
Winner of several Grand Slam Doubles titles. Former World #1 in Juniors. Former top 10 player who has beaten most of the players who have been #1 in the past 15 years. Got past the second round of Slams numerous times, as opposed to once. And with far more detractors than Stevenson.

I believed the Stevenson hype. For about 4 months. Around the time the 99 season wrapped up, I realized she simply doesn't have it.

viele
Oct 17th, 2003, 02:03 AM
Winner of several Grand Slam Doubles titles. Former World #1 in Juniors. Former top 10 player who has beaten most of the players who have been #1 in the past 15 years. Got past the second round of Slams numerous times, as opposed to once. And with far more detractors than Stevenson.

I believed the Stevenson hype. For about 4 months. Around the time the 99 season wrapped up, I realized she simply doesn't have it.

What does the fact that she hasn't accomplished what she has hoped for have to do with anything? There are plenty of players out there who talk a big game but never deliver. That's no reason not to like them.

disposablehero
Oct 17th, 2003, 02:09 AM
What does the fact that she hasn't accomplished what she has hoped for have to do with anything? There are plenty of players out there who talk a big game but never deliver. That's no reason not to like them.

I never heard Shinobu Asagoe say she was going to win Wimbledon. Come to think of it, I've never heard Anna Kournikova say that.

casanovalover
Oct 17th, 2003, 02:27 AM
i perceive people hate her because they are jealous, plain and simple. she is the most beautiful, intelligent, sexual, incandescent tennis player in recent history. all the haters wish that they could emit light as a consequence of being heated to a high temperature like she can, but they never will!!

viele
Oct 17th, 2003, 02:33 AM
i perceive people hate her because they are jealous, plain and simple. she is the most beautiful, intelligent, sexual, incandescent tennis player in recent history. all the haters wish that they could emit light as a consequence of being heated to a high temperature like she can, but they never will!!

I like her but...............I wouldn't go that far! Either you're being sarcastic or you're the most enthusiastic Alex fan in the world!

casanovalover
Oct 17th, 2003, 02:44 AM
i was hoping people would perceive the comical elements of my post. i neither meant to hurt alexandra through sarcasm, or to lavish praise on her.

she beat my myriam though, and for that i can never forgive her!! actually that's mean spirited, go alexandra, show all the haters that you are not evil

disposablehero
Oct 17th, 2003, 02:45 AM

I just vomited when you said "sexual".

casanovalover
Oct 17th, 2003, 02:51 AM
I just vomited when you said "sexual".

girlfriend, you go with your racist self.

alexusjonesfan
Oct 17th, 2003, 02:52 AM

I didn't know she had an incandescent light source stuck inside her :eek:

Has she seen a physician about this?

disposablehero
Oct 17th, 2003, 02:53 AM
Sorry, I don't play card games unless there is money on the table.

casanovalover
Oct 17th, 2003, 02:58 AM
Sorry, I don't play card games unless there is money on the table.

do i sense a double-standard?? what did you say about serena?? oh my god, you're such a typical white person.

Ballbuster
Oct 17th, 2003, 03:27 AM
do i sense a double-standard?? what did you say about serena?? oh my god, you're such a typical white person.

True!

and his favorites consistently get beat so he's just plain bitter.

casanovalover
Oct 17th, 2003, 03:50 AM
True!

and his favorites consistently get beat so he's just plain bitter.

his favourties get beat consistantly by alexandra? i don't see how that's possible.

nander
Oct 17th, 2003, 06:51 AM

If you want to make a comparison with these players then Alex is American...black is not a nationality.

Here's a novel thought .. why not see her in terms of her mother and say she is white. After all, just like her mother, her black father contributed only half of her genes!

Martian Willow
Oct 17th, 2003, 08:55 AM
If you want to make a comparison with these players then Alex is American...black is not a nationality.

...perhaps you could make a comparison between nationality and race...and tell us which one is a more pointlessly arbitrary way to choose your favourite player... :)

mauresmofan
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:03 AM
girlfriend, you go with your racist self.

How can you say someone is racist just because they cannot stand Miss Stevenson?

mandy7
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:09 AM
Is she hated?? :confused:
Didn't know that, she seems like an ok girl

mandy7
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:13 AM
How can you say someone is racist just because they cannot stand Miss Stevenson?

Yeah.. I don't get that either!?
people think I'm a racist cause I don't like the williams sisters.. :rolleyes:
I don't like Conchita Martinez either.. doesn't mean I hate all spanish people :p

mauresmofan
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:21 AM
Yeah.. I don't get that either!?
people think I'm a racist cause I don't like the williams sisters.. :rolleyes:
I don't like Conchita Martinez either.. doesn't mean I hate all spanish people :p

A lot of people around here seem to think that way - I can't stand Alexandra Stevenson - she just happens to be black but I think Chanda Rubin is a class act and love her all round game. So does this make me a part time racist?

mandy7
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:22 AM
A lot of people around here seem to think that way - I can't stand Alexandra Stevenson - she just happens to be black but I think Chanda Rubin is a class act and love her all round game. So does this make me a part time racist?

YES IT DOES ;)

ooh have you heard the new rule?
If you don't like Amelie you're Homophobic!! :lol:

mauresmofan
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:37 AM
YES IT DOES ;)

ooh have you heard the new rule?
If you don't like Amelie you're Homophobic!! :lol:

Nah those people just have no taste :p

*JR*
Oct 17th, 2003, 11:47 AM
...perhaps you could make a comparison between nationality and race...and tell us which one is a more pointlessly arbitrary way to choose your favourite player... :)
As usual, I love the WWW (Willow Words of Wisdom). ;) The one exception I make is that given the virtual exclusion of blacks from competing in this sport for years (even with occasional exceptions like Gibson and Ashe "making it big"; Zina, Lori, and Mal not), I can sympathize with the black loyalty to the W/S for "kicking in the country club door". But the ultranationalism of certain European "factions" here, whose athletes were never barred (in fact the old Soviet bloc trumpeted the success of Olympic stars for political purposes) is rather disappointing. For example, when committment lists in tournament forums have every Russian name in bold print, but nobody else. (Ironically created by a resident of the UK).

Experimentee
Oct 17th, 2003, 01:34 PM

All those players were cocky BEFORE they made those achievements. So at the time when they were being cocky they hadnt done anything. I know the Williams sisters were displaying a lot of confidence in themselves before they even went on tour. Probably the others were too. People probably laughed at them back then too. Alex's career isnt over yet. I dont think she can be that great but she can reach the top 20 again (yes again, she has been a top 20 player, some of you are talking like shes never even made the top 100).

Nikola
Oct 17th, 2003, 02:36 PM
:confused:

DA FOREHAND
Oct 17th, 2003, 02:46 PM

Here's a novel thought .. why not see her in terms of her mother and say she is white. After all, just like her mother, her black father contributed only half of her genes!

Because Alex is'nt considered white in america, or anywhere else in the world. She is blk. Just as Halle Berry's mom taught her daughter that she is what she sees in the mirror, and when she (Alex/Halle) look in the mirror, or when people see them on the street they see a black woman. :cool:

mandy7
Oct 17th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Don't you people ever get bored of talking about racsim?
It's so completely useless..

DA FOREHAND
Oct 17th, 2003, 04:39 PM
No

mandy7
Oct 17th, 2003, 04:47 PM
Can't you think of something else to do??
Like, talk about TENNIS?

Martian Willow
Oct 17th, 2003, 05:15 PM
...when is someone going to tell mandy7 and mauresmofan that casanovalover was being sarcastic...? :)

mandy7
Oct 17th, 2003, 05:21 PM
I didn't even read the thing Casanovalover posted. I just replied to something Mauresmo fan said, cause I thought she was right. that's all

nander
Oct 17th, 2003, 08:10 PM

No why should I? If people wan't to use either then there is nothing you or I can do.
I am just pointing out what should have been obvious to anyone of average intelligence.

nander
Oct 17th, 2003, 08:20 PM
Because Alex is'nt considered white in america, or anywhere else in the world. She is blk. Just as Halle Berry's mom taught her daughter that she is what she sees in the mirror, and when she (Alex/Halle) look in the mirror, or when people see them on the street they see a black woman. :cool:

Guess what - do you know that America just could be wrong!!
Seems to me the acceptance of what Americans came up with during slavery and reconstruction (mostly for economic reasons) is to accept that 'black' has somehow 'contaminated the mix' and so the person has to described as black.
I hope that when Halle Berry looks in the mirror she sees a beautiful young actor staring back at her and that Alex sees a tennis player hoping to make it one day.
What people see on the street Berry & Stevenson can't be responsible for.
Maybe it is time for a change. Science is showing that 'race' is a misnomer, there is very little difference between us all.