PDA

View Full Version : Former No. 1 Davenport's season over after foot surgery

tenn_ace
Oct 15th, 2003, 10:57 PM
Former No. 1 Davenport's season over after foot surgery

By HOWARD FENDRICH, AP Tennis Writer
October 15, 2003

Three-time major champion Lindsay Davenport had surgery on her left foot Wednesday in Los Angeles and will miss the rest of the season, including the WTA Championships.

The operation removed a small nerve that was bothering her between two toes, according to her agent, Tony Godsick.

The nerve had been hampering the former No. 1-ranked player since the spring.

It forced her to pull out of her fourth-round match at the French Open and the final of a hard-court tournament in New Haven, Conn., just before the U.S. Open. Davenport then had a cortisone shot to numb the pain, and although she never looked completely comfortable, she reached the semifinals at the U.S. Open.

``The fact of the matter is, if I want to play next year, if I want to play at a high level, I almost have to have this taken care of immediately,'' Davenport said during the year's last Grand Slam.

``The last few months, I haven't been able to make it over 90 minutes in practice. If I want to play next year and do well, it's something I need to take care of.''

She didn't play a competitive match from the U.S. Open until last week's indoor tournament in Filderstadt, Germany. Davenport wanted to test the injury there, and she lost to Elena Bovina in the quarterfinals.

Davenport is expected to be sidelined until December, when she should be able to return to practice, Godsick said. She plans to return to WTA Tour action in time for the Australian Open in January.

Davenport currently is ranked No. 4.

The American finished 1998 and 2001 atop the computer rankings, and her 37 career singles titles include the 1998 U.S. Open, 1999 Wimbledon and 2000 Australian Open.

She missed the first half of 2002 because of right knee surgery.

alexusjonesfan
Oct 15th, 2003, 10:59 PM
This is definitely good news! :yeah:

Don't count out Davey yet! :D

tenn_ace
Oct 15th, 2003, 11:00 PM
I guess it's good and it's bad... another top 10-ner is out until the end of the season.

Kart
Oct 15th, 2003, 11:01 PM
I wonder why she waited until after Filderstadt rather than straight after the US open. Probably medical reasons I guess.

Anyway, wishing her a speedy recovery :)

bandabou
Oct 15th, 2003, 11:02 PM
Yep..suddenly the championships isnīt looking like the CHAMPIONSHIPS anymore. Right now it looks like there could only two former slam winners..

alexusjonesfan
I guess it's good and it's bad... another top 10-ner is out until the end of the season.

it'll be an interesting year end champs that's for sure.

Venus Forever
She should have taken care of this sooner.

Get Well Soon, Lindsay!! :D

Infiniti2001
Oct 15th, 2003, 11:03 PM
Too bad she will miss the championships,but good that she took care of that pesky nerve.Get well soon Lindsay :)

tenn_ace
Oct 15th, 2003, 11:04 PM
it'll be an interesting year end champs that's for sure.

who knows... could be a total Belgian domination...

anyway, get well soon Lindsay :wavey:

Brian Stewart
Oct 15th, 2003, 11:08 PM
Well, despite the short-term disappointment for Lindsay's fans, it's apparently an indication that she is playing next year.

switz
Oct 15th, 2003, 11:09 PM
i'm just happy that she ha proved those who were doubting her integrity wrong by showing she actually was injured and not just using it as gamesmanship to win the US Open

JennyS
Oct 15th, 2003, 11:23 PM
I think Lindsay made the right decision. Hopefully three months will be enough for her to be ready for the Australian Open.

Jericho
Oct 15th, 2003, 11:27 PM
So Lindsay and Serena (most likely) are out...get well soon girls...what an opportunity for the two people who get in

switz
Oct 15th, 2003, 11:30 PM
the only slightly positive thinga about 2 players not coming is that chanda will probably get in. that's very selfish of me though

vaiva
Oct 15th, 2003, 11:38 PM
Dang! I'll miss Lindsay in LA :sad:

ally baker
Oct 15th, 2003, 11:55 PM
I still don't understand why Lindsay didn't have surgery right after US Open...

She didn't play for a month until Filderstadt... she might have been healthy by now.

Oh well... thanks for the 55 points in Filderstadt, and finally letting Lena beat ya, Linds. :)

j_dementieva27
Oct 15th, 2003, 11:58 PM
yay!!!

yes, im sad that lindsey will not be competing in the year end championships, but this also opens up the spots for elena dementieva defiantly!!

im sostoked i will get to see elena on tv!!!

Cybelle Darkholme
Oct 16th, 2003, 12:03 AM
Venus is definitely making it to la if she decides to play. With lindsay out for sure and serena borderline vee is an almost sure in.

Leo_DFP
Oct 16th, 2003, 12:31 AM
Yay! :bounce: Smart decision, Lindsay. I guess this means that she'll be back for '04. Rahr!

Daniel
Oct 16th, 2003, 12:34 AM
Get well Lindsay!!!!! :kiss: :)

yukon145
Oct 16th, 2003, 12:44 AM
get well soon Lindsay!

joaco
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:06 AM
best news I could get of Lindsay!!!!!!!!! Get ready to compete next year at a high level Linz!

Justinefan
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:08 AM
Bad news that she won't make the year ending tourney.. but hopefully we'll see a healthy Lindsay back for 2004.. bring home the slams lindsay!!

bello
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:12 AM
good decision by a smart chick. Good luck Lindsay!

Mikey
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:14 AM
Yay Lindsay :D Even though I'm sad she will be gone, this is great news. She is definitely as smart as I thought she was :D

Go Lindsay! A quick recovery for you! We look forward to seeing a quick, healthy, fit, amazing Lindsay next year :hearts: :bounce:

Justinefan
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:15 AM
the only slightly positive thinga about 2 players not coming is that chanda will probably get in. that's very selfish of me though
If Chanda continues to drop i don't think she'll be making the top 8... even with Serena and Lindsay out.. she won't make it in.. If Venus drops out and Chanda is still 10 then maybe.. but I don't see her playing at the year end champs

tenn_ace
Oct 16th, 2003, 12:22 PM
I'd be really shocked if Chanda doesn't get to LA... she up about 300 points vs. Sugyama with basically 1 tournament to go. Chanda is in.

lizchris
Oct 16th, 2003, 12:57 PM
I thought it was strange too when she didn't have the sugery after the USO like she said and I thought it was strange that she didn't play Moscow, but played Fielderstat.

With Lindsay out, Venus is in for sure, no matter what Myskina does (she is the closest to her in the race).

QUEENLINDSAY
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:07 PM
good JOB LINDSAY!!!!!! I will wait for you in 2004!!!!!!

bandabou
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Dissapointing season for Lindsay...only one title. Hopefully she can come back to at least winning some finals again. Slams?! uhmm...

Cariaoke
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:12 PM
that was very smart of Lindsay. get well soon. :)

LindsayRulez
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:14 PM
Bandabou, you are just about the most pessimistic person I've come across on this board. Why don't you keep your negative comments to yourself?

QUEENLINDSAY
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Bandabou, you are just about the most pessimistic person I've come across on this board. Why don't you keep your negative comments to yourself?

Dont ever give any attention to that idiot anymore. He doesnt have anything to say good about other players except the williams.

bandabou
Oct 16th, 2003, 02:23 PM

pessimistic?! Why pessimistic?! A player of Lindsayīs caliber winning only one tournament out of like 18 or I donīt know how many she played?!

Itīs the same with Venus....dissapointing year for her too. Iīm only stating the things as I see them.

galadriel
Oct 16th, 2003, 03:47 PM
GET WELL SOON LINDSAY :kiss:

Rocketta
Oct 16th, 2003, 04:24 PM
I'm happy for Mikey! :wavey:

and Lindsay..:)

I think it was good decision. I think she tried to rest her toe and give it one last try at Fielderstat. It didn't work out and this was the best decision.

I think we will see a new Lindsay next year....;)

Toontje
Oct 16th, 2003, 04:39 PM
get well soon Lindsay! :)

Jen'sFan
Oct 16th, 2003, 04:43 PM
pessimistic?! Why pessimistic?! A player of Lindsayīs caliber winning only one tournament out of like 18 or I donīt know how many she played?!

Itīs the same with Venus....dissapointing year for her too. Iīm only stating the things as I see them.
Yes but what u fail to point out is that she has been struggling with this foot injury for god knows how long, and hasnt been able to play at her best for a long time. Venus on the other hand has just lost interest.

SerialKiller#69
Oct 16th, 2003, 08:00 PM
Very good decision Lindsay. I'm sending her positive thoughts for a healthy and speedy recovery.

Go Lindsay!

fleemkeģ
Oct 16th, 2003, 08:03 PM
I hope she takes care of herself and I think it's a wise decision!

Get well soon Linds :)

Nikki
Oct 16th, 2003, 08:14 PM
Get fit soon Lindsay:)

jenny161185
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:40 PM
good to here she's definately coming back next year - she has soooo much talent she deserves more big titles - win that french open! is jen playing in the champs does anyone know for sure?

Lindsayfan
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:45 PM
get well soon LINDSAY!!! :) :) :)

bandabou
Oct 16th, 2003, 09:51 PM
Yes but what u fail to point out is that she has been struggling with this foot injury for god knows how long, and hasnt been able to play at her best for a long time. Venus on the other hand has just lost interest.

Thatīs a good point that I failed to tell indeed....