PDA

View Full Version : Stadistic about skipping classes

propi
Oct 15th, 2003, 03:44 PM
from http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/19/49/16408759.pdf
The OECD (organization for economic co-operation and development) has done a reseach about school abstentism by 15 yo kids in different countries....
The stadistic gives the percentage of children who admit that skip lessons often
How responsible are those from yours???

Japan 4%
Korea 8%
Germany 13%
Luxemburg 13%
Belgium 14%
Austria 15%
France 15%
United Kingdom 15%
Switzerland 16%
Australia 18%
Norway 18%
Ireland 18%
Hungary 18%
Portugal 20%
United States 20%
Czech Republic 21%
Mexico 21%
Italia 22%
Finland 23%
Sweden 24%
Canada 26%
Iceland 26%
New Zealand 27%
Greece 29%
Poland 29%
Denmark 33% (bad Nath :p)
And the absolute winners are .....................................

Spain 34% :bounce:
Our children are the masters on skipping... great to know future is in their hands :tape: :rolleyes: On their defence I must say that here they don't have lot of free time as they are busy either bullfighting or dancing flamenco, cooking paella or drinking sangría :p :lol: :angel:

gentenaire
Oct 15th, 2003, 03:52 PM
wow, it certainly has risen a lot in the past few years. No way was 14 % of the kids in my school often skipping classes!

Gowza
Oct 15th, 2003, 03:56 PM
well skipping can be a deceiving word in this context. does it mean skipping class as in being inside the school but not in the actuall classroom yoou are meant to be in or does it mean skipping school as in not being inside the school grounds?

Emola
Oct 15th, 2003, 03:58 PM
Wow, I thought there would be more skipping classes in the UK if the people at my college are to go by! ;) Quite a lot of people skip classes. I, on the other hand have skipped only 1 with very good reason too :p

gentenaire
Oct 15th, 2003, 03:59 PM
how would you know?

You do know when classmates aren't in class. In my class there was one girl who was often 'ill'.

rand
Oct 15th, 2003, 03:59 PM
how would you know? you were probably with them, influencing them to buy tubes of stuff at the store. ;)
I actually hurt myself laughing :sad:

SJW
Oct 15th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Em it was for a guy :p

propi
Oct 15th, 2003, 04:09 PM
ah, propi...but those are the finest things in life! :)
They can continue doing it after my retirement pay is safe :devil:
:p

Emola
Oct 15th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Em it was for a guy :p

and thats exactly what I mean by a good reason :p :o

gentenaire
Oct 15th, 2003, 04:22 PM
well skipping can be a deceiving word in this context. does it mean skipping class as in being inside the school but not in the actuall classroom yoou are meant to be in or does it mean skipping school as in not being inside the school grounds?

Why would you still hang around in school when you're skipping classes?

Crazy Canuck
Oct 15th, 2003, 04:28 PM
Why would you still hang around in school when you're skipping classes?
To talk to other kids *has done this* :p

gentenaire
Oct 15th, 2003, 04:31 PM
To talk to other kids *has done this* :p

other kids who're skipping classes, you mean ;) And where did you hide? And how did you explain your absense to the teacher?

Crazy Canuck
Oct 15th, 2003, 05:26 PM
other kids who're skipping classes, you mean ;) And where did you hide? And how did you explain your absense to the teacher?
I usually went to the cafeteria - it's not as if they came looking for me. Sometimes I would hang out in the park. The other kids I talked to were either skipping, or on spare. Once I hit 18 I was allowed to write my own notes - before that I got my mom to do it.

alexusjonesfan
Oct 15th, 2003, 06:01 PM
I usually went to the cafeteria - it's not as if they came looking for me. Sometimes I would hang out in the park. The other kids I talked to were either skipping, or on spare. Once I hit 18 I was allowed to write my own notes - before that I got my mom to do it.

Your mom was a co-conspirator then? :p

Our school had this automated telephone thingy that would call your house if you weren't on the attendance sheet for a particular class. I used to have a lot of trips for school clubs etc. for which I missed a bunch of classes but the machine wouldn't know if you had a legitimate reason to be out of that class and would call home anyway. So by my last year, my parents just stopped caring.

"Oh, he wasn't in class today? He must've had some trip or conference or meeting to go to" :lol: